Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry PI $25 PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

You got a free t-shirt ya bastard! Grunt grunt grumble! :D

Is that an arduino in the picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

What is the red PCB for, does that come with it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    What is the red PCB for, does that come with it ?

Whoops, I'll edit that post - it's a TI MSP-430G2 Launchpad board I ordered to play around with while the PI arrived. Thought I'd give microcontrollers a go in the meantime, I didn't get very far with it though.
    waveform wrote: »
    You got a free t-shirt ya bastard! Grunt grunt grumble!

Is that an arduino in the picture?

Fruit of the Loom 100% cotton, quality seems OK but I'll see if it collapses after a few washes. You had to add it as a delivery instruction on your order i.e. RPI SMALL/RPI MEDIUM/etc - see here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but would it be possible to connect a raspberry pi to a touchscreen, USB hardrive and some speakers to create a small home jukebox?

Just looking into some projects to keep me busy for the Summer and I think this might be interesting.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but would it be possible to connect a raspberry pi to a touchscreen, USB hardrive and some speakers to create a small home jukebox?

Just looking into some projects to keep me busy for the Summer and I think this might be interesting.

Do a search for touch screen on the Pi forums.

I saw a few threads and one of the ideas mentioned was some kind of small USB Touch Screen monitor, that sends the input through USB.

That would be the easiest way to do it.

The Pi has a Display Serial Interface also which are used by some smart phones,
    but it might be a while before it's supported / developed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Got up early on 'launch day' and registered interest on RS, received an e-mail confirming my registration of interest but haven't heard anything since. Anyone else in the same boat and should I have heard something by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

As waveform said there are threads on the pi forum about it. I was kind of looking into it myself but it looks to be a pricey option as the touchscreens and connectors are expensive.

A cheaper option might be to get a cheap tablet and use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

Just got my pre-order email, happy as larry but can't order till tomorrow cos O2 stores are closed to top up my card lol

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

matrim wrote: »
    A cheaper option might be to get a cheap tablet and use that.

Definitely. Cheap android tablet with a USB drive and you're done. It's probably not as much fun, but it'll be a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Khannie wrote: »
    Definitely. Cheap android tablet with a USB drive and you're done. It's probably not as much fun, but it'll be a lot cheaper.

Or you'd get a lot of mp3s on a 32GB microSD card. My cheap Android tab reads up to 32GB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Or you'd get a lot of mp3s on a 32GB microSD card. My cheap Android tab reads up to 32GB.

Thanks for the replies lads. I bought some old and (really)cheap laptops from adverts. Linux and a basic media player should work.

I'll save the pi projects for later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Thanks for the replies lads. I bought some old and (really)cheap laptops from adverts. Linux and a basic media player should work.

I'll save the pi projects for later.

Just to see what compiling something on the Pi was like, I downloaded and compiled MOC and downloaded the FFMPEG dependencies for it as well. It's a basic but functional music player that runs in the terminal, and it's fine for the Pi. For audio playback, it's one option for your old laptops.

Edit: I've only tried MP3's with MOC so far. I haven't tried AAC or WMA files yet.

Camera module addon for the pi coming later in the year

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1254

EJ22 wrote: »
    Camera module addon for the pi coming later in the year

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1254

Was only showing my Pi to a friend earlier and showing him the zif connectors for the Serial interface, explaining you'll be able to hook up a camera to it soon....

little did I know the Liz and Eben would be posting about it a few hours later!

Was only showing my Pi to a friend earlier and showing him the zif connectors for the Serial interface, explaining you'll be able to hook up a camera to it soon....

little did I know the Liz and Eben would be posting about it a few hours later!

Indeed. Its an amazing module for it although they state that they'll be reducing the megapixels in it to make it more affordable since the one they used was 14mp i think. Either way once it is released it opens up even more projects that the pi could be used for.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well mine jsut confirmed as en route to me today, cant wait to mess around with it.

I plan to try get it as my download manager essentially for the house

Sickbeard
    Sabnzbd
    Headphones
    Couchpotato

And then hopefully be able to remote access it from anywhere to kick off downloads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

TheDoc wrote: »
    Well mine jsut confirmed as en route to me today, cant wait to mess around with it.

Sickbeard
    Sabnzbd
    Headphones
    Couchpotato

And then hopefully be able to remote access it from anywhere to kick off downloads

is it shipped via anpost or DHL?

is it shipped via anpost or DHL?

Mine was shipped from Farnell with UPS last month, it went to Germany first though, but was trackable and pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

thanks waveform for the response. i had no UPS tracking on the order.
    when I called up the CC, they said its been shipped via normal post from UK. hence no tracking number.

• Advertisement

Now here's a cute and affordable temporary case for a PI that you don't need a 3D Printer, to print out! ;)

A standard "2D" Printer will work just fine. :D

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=6424

Punnet-header.jpg

Punnet-diagram1.jpg

Punnet-diagram2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

thanks waveform for the response. i had no UPS tracking on the order.
    when I called up the CC, they said its been shipped via normal post from UK. hence no tracking number.

yeah, i got the mail yesterday and by the looks of it it's coming through the normal postal service (which over here is fairly good) so i'm expecting arrival in the morning. . . :kid at christmas:

I must say the new forum is looking fantastic.

I actually thought I was looking at the blog at first!

I think this design looks a lot cleaner and easier to read.

Pushing the avatars over to the right hand side, kind of gets you to focus more on the content of the post also.

It works really well posts with pictures.

Now here's a cute and affordable temporary case for a PI that you don't need a 3D Printer, to print out! ;)

A standard "2D" Printer will work just fine. :D

You don't know how much i love you right now, I was gonna fashion something from paper maché but this is easier

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

TheDoc wrote: »

Sickbeard
    Sabnzbd
    Headphones
    Couchpotato

As a matter of interest has anyone actually had a go at compiling and running any of the above with RaspI

Also is there anywhere walk in Dublin that is doing the flash cards at a good price? Not arsed waiting for online order

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

I'm thinking of getting one of these as a cheap and cheerful means of trying my hand at some ARM assembly language programming. Would love to see a demo\coding scene build up around the device with competitions, prizes, etc.

Has anyone done any coding on it yet?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Woohoo, just got the email confirming that mine should be out to me by courier tomorrow :D

Fysh wrote: »
    Woohoo, just got the email confirming that mine should be out to me by courier tomorrow :D

Out of curiosity when did your email to preorder it? Just wondering for when I can expect my own slice of pi

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

EJ22 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity when did your email to preorder it? Just wondering for when I can expect my own slice of pi

I got onto the RS list on the 3rd of March and got my order code/link on the 17th of May.

Edited to add:

Just received it! This is going to make the working day seem even longer than usual...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

I was late putting myself on the interested list but got this from Farrelll 2 days ago
    Thank you for registering your interest in the Raspberry Pi with us.

We are very pleased to tell you that we have begun volume manufacture and you will shortly receive an email giving you the chance to pre-order your Raspberry Pi.

While you are waiting keep up-to-date with the latest news and information at www.element14.com.

Once again, thank you for your patience.

Advertisement