Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry PI $25 PC

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

how well does it work when streaming from a PC where thats doing the transcoding?

It should be perfect. I haven't tried that yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I'm running Raspbmc at the minute and I have to say the network stack isn't fantastic but it would probably do for transcoding or streaming.

I've got a 1TB hard drive hooked up to it and transfer over SCP/FTP using a 100Mbps network (theoretical max of ~12MB/s) through the Pi to the USB hard drive is a paltry 800kB/sec. That really is piss poor.

Transfer over FTP/SCP to the Pi's SD card is about 3-4MB/sec which still isn't great considering the card is a class 10 and benches at 11MB/sec on a card reader.

There's also the matter of handshaking over HDMI not being fantastic either, leading to 1-2 second blank screens while it tries the handshake again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭M00lers

Meesared wrote: »
    Raspbmc would be my preferred choice, it is built specifically for the Pi, OpenElec, is a bit more "Mature" but its a bit more multiplatform, and isn't quite so platform specific.

Btw thats a nice keyboard, where did you get it?

Thanks, Raspbmc was my preference, I'm looking forword to trying it out.
    I got the keyboard off Amazon.co.uk but you can get them off ebay also. It's supposed to work perfectly with the RPi, I've tested it on Windows and it seems to work very well, it has a backlight which is perfect for late night usage. The trackpad is great too much better than I had thought it would be!
    Khannie wrote: »
    It should be perfect. I haven't tried that yet though.
    Good to know, thanks.

I'm running Raspbmc at the minute and I have to say the network stack isn't fantastic but it would probably do for transcoding or streaming.

I've got a 1TB hard drive hooked up to it and transfer over SCP/FTP using a 100Mbps network (theoretical max of ~12MB/s) through the Pi to the USB hard drive is a paltry 800kB/sec. That really is piss poor.

Transfer over FTP/SCP to the Pi's SD card is about 3-4MB/sec which still isn't great considering the card is a class 10 and benches at 11MB/sec on a card reader.

There's also the matter of handshaking over HDMI not being fantastic either, leading to 1-2 second blank screens while it tries the handshake again.

Cheers TV, I've read that the the NIC runs over the USB bus which will cripple performance when using both at the same time (if I understand it correctly). Are you using RC3?

I hope to get streaming/transcoding working reasonably well without the need of an attached USB HDD. Can't really expect too much from the little mite.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

That keyboard is gorgeous moolers. Will have to invest in one for the Raspbmc setup i'm going for as well. Tried to order from Amazon but says can't be sent to ireland or my address so may just get it from ebay

• Advertisement

I think the Amazon seller was LaptopMateUK or similar.

Nice one Moolers.

For anyone interested, The Daily Brick are doing a Raspberry Pi Lego case (same one thats been shown on the Raspberry Pi blog). Free delivery and only about €12.50

http://www.thedailybrick.co.uk/lego-custom-raspberry-pi-case.html

I shall be ordering one of those bad boys tonight for my incoming pi.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Cheers TV, I've read that the the NIC runs over the USB bus which will cripple performance when using both at the same time (if I understand it correctly). Are you using RC3?

Using the RC3 yeah. And if it runs the NIC and USB over the same bus that's a pretty bad decision if you ask me. Even so, a USB2.0 bus is usually capable of 480Mbps so allowing for switching overheads it really should be able to grind out 10MB/s over NIC and USB port or close to it, not 0.8% of that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Any news about GPIO boards for RPI?

I found this [1], but it looks to me like a spinal tap with hammer & nails ;)

[1] http://log.liminastudio.com/writing/tutorials/tutorial-how-to-use-your-raspberry-pi-like-an-arduino

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

has anyone received their pi cases?
    seems all the sellers are on pre-order.
    even lego pick a brick takes 3 weeks for delivery and their delivery charges are high.

Lads Farnell tried to take the money on the 6th but because i'm using an o2 money card the funds weren't there. Any idea how long it'll be before they try to take the money again? Bricking it that my order will be cancelled because I aint waited this long for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

EJ22 wrote: »
    Lads Farnell tried to take the money on the 6th but because i'm using an o2 money card the funds weren't there. Any idea how long it'll be before they try to take the money again? Bricking it that my order will be cancelled because I aint waited this long for nothing.
    They probably won't to be honest.

They probably won't to be honest.

Got an email back from them. they've made the payment now so my pi will be shipped as soon as possible. Happy days and now i can stop bricking it haha

Haha you were lucky!

Haha you were lucky!

Definitely. Ah well at least the money i've spent on SD cards wont go to waste.

Another question for the boards though, what wifi adaptors are people using with their pi's?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭John mac

there is a list of devices here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

EJ22 wrote: »

Same thing happened me and they keep emailing me to contact them,I have paid with RS so I dont want it now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Got mine from Farnell on Monday (including the T-shirt!). Will probably be the weekend before I play around with it, cool little board though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Sweet, just got an email saying mine has shipped :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Farnell UK are saying they're opening up to general orders mid-July, so hopefully it won't be many more weeks before I can build my Bramble at home as well as having a standalone unit to mess about with.

Got my confirmation email today. Now to play the waiting game...

Just got an email from DHL to say its on its way from RS

If anyone wants mine that's on the way for what I paid for it,give me a shout,I wont even open it,I don't think I will have time to mess around with this at the moment,cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

col.in.Cr wrote: »
    If anyone wants mine that's on the way for what I paid for it,give me a shout,I wont even open it,I don't think I will have time to mess around with this at the moment,cheers

how much did you paid for it? and is it Raspberry Pi Model B?

thank you

ldr wrote: »
    how much did you paid for it? and is it Raspberry Pi Model B?

thank you
    The A's arent available as of yet (i'm doubting they ever will at this point)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,961 ✭✭✭Doge

Really loving Ben Heck's video of his BBC Micro style case for the raspberry pi,

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1558

and that bread board with lots of connectibles is especially awesome!

Something like that should be used in every secondary school!

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

this week, used my kindle PSU to boot it with SD card loaded with RaspBMC - worked a treat :) Only thing was have to use both USB ports to power my external wireless device (not an issue for me)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

The nice people at DHL have said that mine will be at home waiting for me :D
    Time to start trawling through posts to find out the best distro, colour lego block etc.!

Advertisement