Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭griffin100

Well done Dory on a great report. You'll hit the sub 3.30 soon. As we are all only too aware now there are more important things in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

The sub 3:30 3:20 is just a formality next time around. Just glad you are ok as what happened after must have been traumatic. My first reaction when i seen the news was "fvk hope Carol & Joe are ok".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Good report DD. Bad luck on 3:30. Just think though how SWEET it will be going sub 3:30 and chicking CW in Dublin!! :cool:

Can't imagine what it must have been like on Monday. Beggars belief

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

+1 on the report, a great humbling read.
    hard luck on the 3:30 but you give it everything.

I take it the goal for DCM is 3:15, will be no problems to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I was sure you were going to hit closer to 3:20, you had all the ingredients in training for at least that. These things happen, its not a disaster (obviously, given events), but I'm sure it sticks in your craw anyway. Refinement is all you need, you have 95% of the training spot on, a little tweaking based on this episode, and you'll blitz the next one. Dublin in October is an easier marathon to pace for, and I'm sure you'll look back after that one and you'll laugh at the idea that 3:30 ever seemed hard. Its all a learning process.

Well done on the race anyway, and on your fantastic training log.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Lovely report Dory and really great to meet you and the hubby. I know you weren't happy with your time but imagine how I feel after my sh1te performance, chicked by both CL and DD!! :eek::D

but at least you still have amazing guns;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Well done on a lovely heartfelt report Dory:)
    Congrats on a great race, I know it seems trivial to talk about not achieving the sub 3.30 given how the day ended but I am sure you are disappointed. I would have put money on you running sub 3.25 but then again I would have also put money on Digger, Mr Stew...... That's the thing about marathons, sometimes we do everything right and the day doesn't pan out as expected. Luckily for us there are other marathons and we runners are very good at picking ourselves up facing the next challenge. But before you attack your next challenge I think you should consume lots of wine and chocolate;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Yes consume lots of wine and chocolate! You gave it an honest shot. You did great. You will bounce back. You will nail it at Dublin. Thanks for the report. Still hoochiedoubleD to me. Looking forward to your swimming blogs now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Yes consume lots of wine and chocolate! You gave it an honest shot. You did great. You will bounce back. You will nail it at Dublin. Thanks for the report. Still hoochiedoubleD to me. Looking forward to your swimming blogs now.

A deal is a deal....and a challenge is a challenge.....I didn't make my goal time, so no chocolate was consumed post-race. I guess we're looking towards Dublin now where that sinful cocoa bean is concerned. Just as well. One taste of the delicious dark goodness and the flood gates could have dangerously opened up! ;)

(Thank you Marthastew for the wonderful looking Guiness chocolate - looks like I'll be saving that for October! :D)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

That report... the word eloquent is what think of to describe it. You balance your day against the drama that came after it and leave us thinking of the most important people there.

I hope I get to see you in Dublin when you hit your goal. You so deserve it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Well done DD, and most of all, thank God you are okay and got out safe and sound.

You surely will achieve those goals you want. I think that all the waiting around etc in some of the big city marathons can sometimes affect our targets....it can be hard to get nutrition, clothing etc perfect when youre holed up in hopkington for a couple of hours. With that in mind, you're sure to see further improvements in the near future.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done Dory and great report. I was shocked you didn't push 3:30 in your first marathon...thats how bang on you are for taking it and smashing it.

One thing we always say about marathons is that if it starts going wrong you have so much time to fix it, on the other hand, if it goes wrong you've a long time to suffer. They're a bastard these marathons.

Were you wearing different shoes? I cramped in DCM 2011 on 19miles and I put it down to the shoes. I went to my physios place after the race and was forced to take on diorlyte while lying on the ground forcing stretches. I figured it was down to my footwear and it was a warm enough day too so could have been salt levels...or running up the hill on 18 miles....feck knows :D

Great running, well done. Sus 3:20 in Dublin...we'll get one of the boys to run ahead of you if we have to holding a bar of chocolate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

That must have been hard to put together Dory.
    It's only in these days after do we fully understand what all that went on that day.

Look forward to DM13. You were close on Mon but sub 3:30 can be easily smashed on the 28th Oct.
    See you then and thanks for been just you in Boston

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Well done Dory on a nice report, thank god ye are all safe, you will smash 3.30 in DCM soon,

• Registered Users Posts: 14 wildrhubarb

Thanks for a thoughtful report Dory. Well done on a tough PB. I'm so glad you are safe and I hope you are doing ok now in the aftermath of such a terrible incident. Those poor people. In the midst of it all, it was great to meet up with yourself and Mr Dory again. Looking forward to seeing you next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

No additional words of wisdom to add DD so just to say well done for toughing it out and you will learn from this and kick some ass in DCM.

Life post Boston....

....has been very strange. No need to elaborate, but let me just say I totally appreciate all the texts, emails, PMs, and calls I received these few days post Boston. In an unexpected twist, I am now beginning to receive letters in the mail - a very sweet version of so-relieved-you're-not-dead sentiment. One very striking thing about these cards is that they are all the same size - rather small.

On the post Boston training front, I took 5 days off to let the body try and heal after the insult of 26.2 miles, of which 10 were miserable with leg cramping. It wasn't until yesterday that my body and mind missed/craved going for a run - the day dragged on forever, I was at a loss for what to do with myself, and I found myself in a certified funk. I guess all the happy little endorphins had left the building and I was living in "normal people's" skin. Yuck. Give me that sweet high of a prolonged endurance session with sweat and accelerated heart rate any day of the week, it keeps me sane. This morning, the lack of physical activity (and outdoor activity) had reached its peak and manifested itself in my cranky and foul mood. Thank god I had planned on doing my first session since Boston today, otherwise I was going to have to ship myself off to an island where everyone could leave me the hell alone. ;)

I've been given orders to keep things pretty easy on the body for now training-wise, so this was just an easy 20 miles on the trainer by the pool in the sun while trolling the Internet on my iPad for upcoming triathlons and half marathons. I had originally thought I would unchain the Mad One and we'd get reacquainted with a proper spin together, but there was more wind than this body cared to deal with so I took the easy way out. After hopping off the bike I slipped on my runners to see what would happen....and all I can say is, I'm still pretty beat up. I made it about 3/4 of a mile in the field and called it quits. The legs were way too uncomfortable out there. This is going to take a little time....

Actual: 20 miles on trainer, .75 mile field jog

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

Great report Dory. You should be proud you had the guts to fight through and get a great PB.
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    After going over things with Ecoli, it may have been a case of heat, dehydration, and poor electrolyte/potassium replacement (poor, or essentially none). I was drinking water, but perhaps I was relying too much on the shot bloks to care of too many needs.

Do you have any idea how much water you were taking on before the cramps set in?
    Marthastew wrote: »
    Well done on a lovely heartfelt report Dory:)
    Congrats on a great race, I know it seems trivial to talk about not achieving the sub 3.30 given how the day ended but I am sure you are disappointed. I would have put money on you running sub 3.25 but then again I would have also put money on Digger, Mr Stew...... That's the thing about marathons, sometimes we do everything right and the day doesn't pan out as expected. Luckily for us there are other marathons and we runners are very good at picking ourselves up facing the next challenge. But before you attack your next challenge I think you should consume lots of wine and chocolate;)

+1 you deserve to eat huge amounts of chocolate while watching a bit of hockey. The chocolate is a great way to replace the glycogen in your muscles so you HAVE to have some.:D
    The legs were way too uncomfortable out there. This is going to take a little time....

And so be it! Need to recover and come back stronger for the next one;).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

After hopping off the bike I slipped on my runners to see what would happen....and all I can say is, I'm still pretty beat up. I made it about 3/4 of a mile in the field and called it quits. The legs were way too uncomfortable out there.

Hey DD, at this point I can only paraphrase whats already been said - good to hear you're in one piece and congratulations on an incredible p.b. :D

But ... what were you thinking ... ?
    A 45k cycle and a run ... as your comeback session ? a glutton for both suffering and chocolate it seems ;)
    This is going to take a little time.... cruising up and down in the pool

Take good care of yourself - the running legs will be back, just give them and yourself some time to enjoy things before refocusing. ;)

Great report Dory. You should be proud you had the guts to fight through and get a great PB.

Do you have any idea how much water you were taking on before the cramps set in?

+1 you deserve to eat huge amounts of chocolate while watching a bit of hockey. The chocolate is a great way to replace the glycogen in your muscles so you HAVE to have some.:D

And so be it! Need to recover and come back stronger for the next one;).

Hey there!! And a congratulations to you on your smashing PB!! Woo hoo!! Sub 3 hours - well done!!

As far as water goes, I had consumed probably around 600ml of water by the time the cramps had set in. No Gatorade to this point. I carried two 330ml water bottles and had consumed all of one of them, and just about all of the other - that's how I estimate my water consumption.

I wish I could have some chocolate...but.....shotgun might find out and yell sinner at me. Can't have that now, can we? ;)
    interested wrote: »
    Hey DD, at this point I can only paraphrase whats already been said - good to hear you're in one piece and congratulations on an incredible p.b. :D

But ... what were you thinking ... ?
    A 32k cycle and a run ... as your comeback session ? a glutton for both suffering and chocolate it seems ;)

Take good care of yourself - the running legs will be back, just give them and yourself some time to enjoy things before refocusing. ;)

Fixed that for you. ;)

And thanks for your nice sentiment regarding the pb...and the "in on piece" thing. But...me? A glutton for suffering and chocolate?? I prefer to think of it as a healthy weakness for things that are deliciously smooth, decadent and challenging. ;):)

Pool is open...but it's 69 chilly degrees. I'll let you know when I throw out the first cannon ball of the season in your honor. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Pool is open...but it's 69 chilly degrees.

But...but... that's 20˚Centigrade! Get in that pool! That's an order! And also, YOU DESERVE SOME CHOCOLATE, that's another order!! If shotgun complains we'll set the heavies on him from our side:D

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

Yes consume lots of wine and chocolate!
    I wish I could have some chocolate...but.....shotgun might find out and yell sinner at me. Can't have that now, can we? ;)

I do believe shotgun has already given permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

while trolling the Internet on my iPad for upcoming triathlons and half marathons.

I see one of Britains finest triathletes has high praise indeed for one of your local ones in Slowtwitch

We spent the next year or so traveling around the USA training and competing in some amazing races. It really opened my eyes to how big triathlon is in the States, it is completely different to anything in Europe, and the people are so passionate about the sport. When I went to race the legendary Savageman Triathlon in Maryland I had no idea what to expect, but to this day it remains the most special race I have ever done. Kyle Yost and the guys over there are doing a great job with that race, making it not just a triathlon but an event you will remember for the rest of your life. I definitely intend on going back there soon!

Savageman again cw???? ;)

One week ago today....

....I was in Boston. It's been a week, but feels like a month. And I'm still receiving calls and emails and small cards in the mail. And I've been interviewed by the local newspaper and been on the 5 o'clock news. And I've lost over half of the nail on my big toe on my right foot and I find I've been hungrier than I have been in months. Life, post-Boston.

The body is still too battered and bruised to do any running, so downstairs on the trainer I went....with the iPod and the iPad....and I listened to my favorite Foo Fighters cd and got caught up on the logs here. I intended on doing some upper body and ab work too, but the spin took longer than I intended because I am just doing recovery effort this week, so I binned getting the yoga mat, medicine ball, and weights out. I may try a short, easy run tomorrow....in part because my arse is sore from two days in a row on the bike after months of it (my arse) not being anywhere near a saddle.

Actual: 20.75 easy miles (or 33.39km - hello interested! ;):D) while singing and reading

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Hi DD, well done on your PB and just the general way you go about your business. Certainly it will be a day to never forgot, mostly for the wrong reasons but we can't let evil win so, we keep running :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I do believe shotgun has already given permission.
    Indeed a free sin granted but you must update your SBR numbers :) Its well earned. Particularly since I'm looking for one day off the challenge for my wedding :o We both have target for Dublin now. I don't even miss chocolate anymore. A chocolate Easter Bunny is now an ornament on the kitchen counter.

Hi DD, well done on your PB and just the general way you go about your business. Certainly it will be a day to never forgot, mostly for the wrong reasons but we can't let evil win so, we keep running :)

Thanks El D. Yes...we keep running. :)
    Indeed a free sin granted but you must update your SBR numbers :) Its well earned. Particularly since I'm looking for one day off the challenge for my wedding :o We both have target for Dublin now. I don't even miss chocolate anymore. A chocolate Easter Bunny is now an ornament on the kitchen counter.

Update SBR numbers?? :o Ugh! Don't we have "people" who will do that for us on the logs?? ;)Kidding!! Okay, but it's not like I'm going to win a shiny prize at the end of the year or anything. :(

And now the church people have...

....made me a prayer shawl. Yep. I was presented with a handmade prayer shawl by one of the ladies of the local Episcopal church today - photo was taken for prayer group documentation. Seems a group of ladies gather regularly to knit, and they pray for a particular situation or person as they knit, and they happened to be gathered and knitting and praying in real time while the Boston marathon bombing was happening. So...you can guess the rest. :o Oh, and the shawl was officially blessed at mass on Sunday, so it's all official and everything....

Any hoo....

I decided to check out the legs tonight and see how much residual damage I have been left with, and I think I am pleased to report that other than the injury I have been nursing since last summer, the legs felt pretty good. The reason I say I think I am pleased is because, while the injury is more isolated (left glute precisely at the sit bone), it is more pronounced. I realized how aggravated the injury was within the first half mile - considered briefly to stop :( - but decided to slow it down from a jog to a crawl to see if it didn't ease. It did ease some - I think it was the combination of slowing down and muscles warming up that helped to ease the discomfort. I will mind this and not over do it. I have been given strict orders to run no more than 2 recovery miles per day for the rest of this week (or no more than 40 minutes bike/swim), so I am staying within those guidelines.

I followed up this 2 mile field run in the gorgeous evening light with some love to the upper body and abs. The body really enjoyed this!! Wow. It woke up some muscles that have been sleeping for a week. Felt great. :)

Actual: 2 super slow recovery miles in the field with the rabbits and a ground hog, followed by upper body and abs

And the sweet, older people are still....

....stopping by the clinic to hug me, kiss me, and well up with tears as they tell me how relieved they are to have me home from Boston safe and sound. It's lovely really, these older people. They like to grab my hand and not let go - their grip surprisingly strong. Not having living parents myself, their touching sincerity and heartfelt affection is very special for me. :) I never anticipated any of this.

I decided I'd give my left glute a break (translation: not run) and hop on the trainer tonight. The weatherman threatened wind and rain, but the sun was smiling brightly down on me when I arrived home so I dragged the trainer out to the pool and gave it a whirl while listening to tunes and trolling the iPod. These recovery spins are wonderful for multitasking!! :D I had intended on doing 20 miles, but by 16 miles I could see the dark rain clouds moving in, threatening to put a damper on my session....and the wind was picking up, adding urgency to the situation at hand. In other words, I wrapped this sucker up and got the heck out of Dodge before the heavens opened up and rained down all its glory. Which it did. About 10 minutes after I hightailed it out of there.

Legs felt good tonight (except for that pesky glute) - stronger than two nights ago while on the trainer. I just need to get this glute thing sorted and I'll be grand.

Actual: 17 recovery miles on the trainer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

hey DD
    That injury sounds like its really starting to become a total pain in the ass.

too easy ?

Advertisement