Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Re the pain in the ass, is it causing dull pain in lower hamstring and lower back as well? Have you been to a physio?

Went to a physio once a week for about 10 weeks straight prior to Boston. No pain in my lower back, but pain does radiate down through hamstrings. And if i remember correctly, my IT band was sore as well when physio was poking and prodding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Went to a physio once a week for about 10 weeks straight prior to Boston. No pain in my lower back, but pain does radiate down through hamstrings. And if i remember correctly, my IT band was sore as well when physio was poking and prodding.

What time is it in Yank land?? Go to sleep missy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Take boards off your phone, you must be driving hubby mad typing away beside him in the bed :D

The cats wake me early to be fed....then I can't help but check the phone when i see the light blinking.....and hubby gets up around 4, therefore my tapping is no bother to him. But thanks, fellas, for your concern. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Call yourself a triathlete? It's 4am, you should be in the pool already.

• Advertisement

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Call yourself a triathlete? It's 4am, you should be in the pool already.

Mmmm....and boy did the pool look inviting this morning with the steam coming off of it as the sun was making its way over the mountain. <sigh>

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Mmmm....and boy did the pool look inviting this morning with the steam coming off of it as the sun was making its way over the mountain. <sigh>
    I was in the pool at 7am. There was no steam. There was no mountain. I don't understand this strange word: 'sun'.
    <sigh>

Oryx wrote: »
    I was in the pool at 7am. There was no steam. There was no mountain. I don't understand this strange word: 'sun'.
    <sigh>

Come visit me, and you will understand.....

Sneaky Lunchtime Recovery Run in the Field, in the Sun

Plan: 30 minutes recovery

As the title suggests, this was done sneaky-lunchtime style....and it was in the field...and it was in the sunshine. I kept this very low-key and did not bother with the Garmin because I apparently consider the Garmin my nemesis and constantly challenge it and race it, ever trying not to let it shame me. It's definitely a love-hate thing I got going on with it. Decent run overall. Enough said. Next subject.....

Actual: ~3.5 miles easy peasey lemon squeezy in my field of dreams.

And, the next subject is....my ass!! I had a very nice massage by the gal who usually gives me those feel-good-could-put-you-to-sleep-super-relaxed massages that I lovelovelove. I told her about my glute/hamstring issue and she said she'd give it a go. Whoop whoop! Well, low and behold....she was working on my left foot and she detected a "knot" (or some very technical variation of that less than technical term) in my left heel....and, well....she got quite excited because via reflexology the location of that "knot" corresponds with a glute issue. Whoa. Way cool. Then, when she made her way to my left glute, and, ahsweetmotherofjesus, she found the source of all my problems!! (If only life could imitate this art-form. :rolleyes:) To me, it almost felt like the muscles "popped" when she initially found the spot, and it was pretty painful, but she firmly massaged the location and improved the situation a great deal. So, we'll see what this does for me. Right now it's feeling pretty good, even post easy field run. I will continue with my specific stretching exercises (she even did some specific manipulations on me) and see what each day brings. The plan is to repeat this session with her in two weeks. :)

Disciplined by Dory's Standards

Plan: 5 miles steady @ 7:35-7:45 min/mile

Mile 1 - 7:38
    Into the wind, some ups and downs, and had thoughts of doing all 5 miles bang on prescribed pace just to prove I could.

Mile 2 - 7:30
    Into the wind, uphill, and revised my thoughts to doing all 5 miles around 7:35ish min/mile.

Mile 3 - 7:19
    Wind at my back, downhill, kept an eye on the house where the Great Dane who would like to have a piece of me lives, convinced myself that my Garmin reads the distances short, revised my thoughts to staying within a "reasonable" proximity to prescribed pace.

Mile 4 - 7:29
    Some ups and downs but mainly flat, getting bored with this run, breathing harder than I cared for, was hating all the traffic whizzing by me, and revised my thoughts to keeping the next two miles around 7:30-7:35 min/mile as I kept seeing the 5 miles as a pyramid in my mind.

Mile 5 - 7:25
    The wind was in front of me and behind me and swirling around me, really wanted this run to be done, really frustrated that a month ago this run would not have taken as much effort, and revised my thoughts (when I saw at the halfway mark I was at a 7:11 min/mile pace) to keeping this last mile between 7:20 and 7:30.

Actual: 5.07 miles in 37:54.36 for an average pace of 7:28 min/mile

Injury feels pretty good....and pool is too cold right now for me to swim in. The poor little heater is whirling its little heart out.

• Advertisement

Too cold? Toughen up, buttercup. ;)

Dory does easy.....very easy.

Plan: 6 miles very easy

It was a rise and shine kind of mornin' for me, and I was out the door in record time and hitting the pavement with my own rise-and-shine-kind-of-mornin' beat before 6:30. But, to my disappointment, the beat was less smooth waltz and more scratched record. :( This body does not do well early in the morning....it has too many kinks and creaks I'm afraid.....I think it needs a proper warmup of sorts before it eases into runners and slips into a rhythm.

But, it was a gorgeous morning none the less.....and it was crisp and clear with a chilly breeze blowing - perfect, actually, for an early run about town. I wore my Gamin to track the mileage, but I didn't look at my speed at all. Couldn't. Have. Cared. Less. How. Fast. I. Was. Going. What freedom there is in pace-apathy. Love the pace-apathy. The truth is, however, I'm not sure I could have gone any faster even if I had wanted to the way my creaky, kinky body felt. Funny how that happens sometimes - you just make the paces in your quality sessions....and you just can't go any faster in the easy/recovery sessions. Or maybe it's all in the head. I don't know.

I finished up this run by doing a lap around my field. The sun had come up high enough over the mountain, emitting a radiant tone of light and casting deliciously eerie Tim Burton-esque shadows in my path...providing me with an animated illusion of immediacy and drama. Amazing what the mind can do when it's been deprived of nutrition yet full of endorphins and is being stimulated by its surroundings and reaching sensory overload. I guess I'd say this was a good run. ;):D

Actual: 6.27 miles in 55:25.65 for a very easy pace of 8:50 min/mile

Mixed Bag

Plan: 20 minutes recovery

Yucky day today...and the yucky-ness continued into the evening with Mother Nature providing us with some cold nasty rain tonight. Soooo....because there is no reason I can think of that would require me to do a 20 minute recovery run out in the cold nasty rain, I opted to do this indoor-comfy-cozy treadie style. Whoop whoop.

My bike on its trainer was looking a bit dejected as I stepped off the treadie, so I decided to give a little of my time to this stationary steed....which was perfect for me because I was suffering from a bit of excess energy and a few too many calories consumed today. Did this sweaty session Foo Fighter style and racked up 15 nice miles. (in retrospect, I'm not sure these 15 miles were part of Ecoli's plan for me today)

And....finished off the evening with stretching, upper body and abs.

Actual: 20 minutes recovery on treadie (2 miles), 15 miles trainer, stretching, upper body, abs

What is your next race?

Oryx wrote: »
    What is your next race?

Over the next few months there will be a several - I would like to get a decent time in a 5k and a 10k, especially leading into Dublin, I will do both the international and sprint distances in our local tri, doing a Spartan race, and have signed up for two half marathons between now and Dublin, one of which is my next race. Focus this summer will be on Dublin and that damned sub 3:30.....next year will be half ironman year I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

I had hoped to be popping on here in a sugar-fuelled frenzy but alas no.......:(
    Your biblical bundle of chocolate did indeed make it to Limerick City but stayed in the Glamour Couple's bedroom. The reason for this? We went from the hotel to the pub and I was concerned that after a few drinks I might decide to share all my chocolate with the good people of Limerick. I know that makes me sound mean but everyone was VERY drunk and they would have eaten anything and wouldn't have appreciated it:) Soooo... I have to wait till this Sunday in Kildare where we meet again and this time no pubs are involved.

I'm glad to see the recovery is going so well, we need to start planning your trip to Dublin, let me know if you need help choosing a hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Over the next few months there will be a several - I would like to get a decent time in a 5k and a 10k, especially leading into Dublin, I will do both the international and sprint distances in our local tri, doing a Spartan race, and have signed up for two half marathons between now and Dublin, one of which is my next race. Focus this summer will be on Dublin and that damned sub 3:30.....next year will be half ironman year I believe.

5k and 10k target times? Let's get them out there :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

This should be good, I would swear Dorys 1/2 marathon pace is quicker than her 5k and 10k pace :D

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

catweazle wrote: »
    This should be good, I would swear Dorys 1/2 marathon pace is quicker than her 5k and 10k pace :D

I've got my eye on you catweazle. You're all mine in Dublin. ;)

Target times?? Honestly, until this very moment I hadn't thought about target times other than a PB in both of them....which, as catweazle implied so eloquently, my current PBs are horribly slow. Actually, I PBed in Boston with my 10k split and my half marathon split. So....let me get back to you on target times. OR, perhaps our darling catweazle can make a few target time suggestions based on our very comparable fitness at the half marathon distance. :D

Rain, rain go away!!!!

Plan: 5 miles easy

Rain. Rain! RAIN!!!! RAINRAINRAINRAINRAINRAIN!!!!!! It's freakin' raining here. Not your normal rain. This is crazy cats and dogs kind of raining.....and I am really, really, really, really sick of it. And the really bad news is it may rain like this all week long. Dammit.

Treadmill. No other option. Music up, tv down, 5.5 miles done. Whoooooopppp whooooo.... Yeah, you get the idea.

Followed this up with stretching, yoga, upper body and abs.

Actual: 5.5 easy and rather boring treadmill miles, stretching, yoga, upper body, abs

• Advertisement

Rain, rain go away!!!!

If you're going to get wet anyway... get in that pool! Honestly, we're going to have to toughen you up a bit for the post Dublin Marathon Liffey swim...

Rain, rain go away!!!!

If you're going to get wet anyway... get in that pool! Honestly, we're going to have to toughen you up a bit for the post Dublin Marathon Liffey swim...

We're going swimming after the marathon? I'm guessing Liffey isn't the name of the indoor facility we'll be swimming in. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

We're going swimming after the marathon? I'm guessing Liffey isn't the name of the indoor facility we'll be swimming in. ;)

I would'nt trust either of you to go in there - especially after refreshments ;)

interested wrote: »

I would'nt trust either of you to go in there - especially after refreshments ;)

If this is your way of "hinting" that you'd like to chaperone us, then I accept your offer. ;):D

Window of opportunity

Plan: 2 miles easy, 3 miles @ HM pace, 2 miles easy

Rain all week is the forecast, so when the sun broke through the clouds just before lunch I made my urgent decision to haul it home, change into my running duds, and get this session out of the way sneaky lunchtime style. Whoop whoop!! :D

Oh boy did it feel good to have the legs and arms get some cobwebs blown off of them. And for the first time since Boston, I actually felt a bit of pep for some of this run. (Not all of it, mind you, but a vast improvement from a week or so ago.) The lowdown is as follows:

The first two miles were a bit too fast, but the legs were raring to go - 7:32, 7:31.

The three HM paced miles were done on the flats of the Greenway, so I had that in the back of my mind as I was watching my Garmin for any hints of fitness. I had settled on a pace of 7:20ish min/mile prior to blasting off, but with the knowledge that I was running on flat surface, I was not bothered when I saw I was slightly faster than the intial proposed pace. I will say, however, based on the effort it took me to do these three miles, I am still not back to where I was pre-Boston. :(7:11, 7:07, 7:02.

The last two miles were easy breezy....and I really let the legs and body relax and come down to a nice place post spiffy set. 8:28, 8:18.

Actual: 7.28 miles in 55:38.47 for an average pace of 7:38 min/mile

With this session off my plate, perhaps if it's not thundering and lightning outside tonight I'll actually get a swim in! :D

Double Session Day

Lucky for me I got my run in during those few hours when the sun was shining today because storms rolled back in with a vengence late in the day. However, since that took pool time out of the post-work equation, that meant I was faced with the decision of either sitting on the couch and painting my toe nails or bouncing downstairs and putting in some time on the trainer this evening. The trainer won out. I'm not very good at sitting still.

Kept this spin fairly easy - it was a cocktail of low resistance and high cadence while watching the Caps' Stanley Cup Playoff pregame show. Woot woot! Followed this up with a side order of stretching, upper body, and abs.

By the time I plodded upstairs to head to the shower for the third time today (yes, third frickin' time!), the most gorgeous rainbow was on brilliant display in the back yard with the mountains in the backdrop.

Actual: 15 miles on the trainer, stretching, upper body, abs

The body is starting to feel recovered....finally!!! :D

Plan: 20 minutes recovery

Gorgeous afternoon and evening here, and when I saw what was on the running plan docket for today I was absolutely delighted because I knew I could get both a short recovery run AND a swim in my pool ticked off the box. Life just doesn't get any better. :D

The run was grand - nice and easy in the field without my Garmin. I typically run counterclockwise around the field, but tonight I ran clockwise to maximize the time spent running into the sun rather than having it at my back or me in the shade. (who is following my logic?? ;)) I gave some love on the fly to Mr. Smith's black cat who was busy prowling the grounds and doing his part to rid the field of pesky vermin, and in return he gave me that look of sincere superior satisfaction that only a cat can give.

Swan dove it into the perfectly warmed 82 degree pool immediately post run for 2,000 yards of the most delightful freestyle I have had the pleasure of swimming in way too long a time. The sun was at just the right angle in the sky when I started this swim, creating a moving monochrome mosaic of shadows on the sides and bottom of the pool. Lovely art, really. And a lovely swim, affording me the time and space away from everything to relax and decompress. My oasis - my pool. :)

Actual: ~2.7 miles recovery field run and 2,000 yards swim

Swan dove it into the perfectly warmed 82 degree pool immediately post run for 2,000 yards of the most delightful freestyle I have had the pleasure of swimming in way too long a time. The sun was at just the right angle in the sky when I started this swim, creating a moving monochrome mosaic of shadows on the sides and bottom of the pool. Lovely art, really. And a lovely swim, affording me the time and space away from everything to relax and decompress. My oasis - my pool. :)

What a beautiful paragraph. A fish out of water for too long; thats the luscious lexicon thats we've missed. Welcome home;)

Another Three Shower Day

Plan: 5 miles easy

I took the window of opportunity again at lunch to get this one knocked out. The good news is I got it knocked out, the bad news is it was hotter than hades out there today. Gah. The first three miles were okay, but on the trip back home (I did an out and back in town - home to the Singing Tower/Leaksville Road and back) I was starting to feel the effects of the heat. I had water with me, but there has been no temperature transition to prepare the body so the body just wilted in the heat. I'm going to have to do some serious thinking about training times-of-the-day this summer.

Actual: 5.73 miles in 45:42.53 for an average pace of 7:58 min/mile (7:57, 7:48, 8:09 (uphill!), 7:39 (downhill!), 8:05, 6:03 (8:16))

Took a dip in the pool after work to clear my head and ended up swimming 2,000 easy yards as I watched the evening's electrical storm roll in from the west.

Actual: 2,000 yard swim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Beautiful......
    YeY!! Dory's back in the pool!!!:D:D

Advertisement