Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Dory Dory wrote: »
    No strange or alarming dreams to report...just too many various to-do and don't-forget-to-take lists in my head driving me completely mad. But....other than that, I'm pretty much ready to go. :D You're nearly there as well. :)

Yes You are ready to go..... so go get that great time that all your hard work and dedication deserves...but don't forget the 2 golden rules
    1. Smile
    2. ENJOY;)

:D:D
    This time next week you'll be basking in your glory and i'll still have the 6 days to go!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oryx wrote: »
    For the next 6 days repeat the following phrases as often as required:

No, I am not really sick.
    No, my ankle/knee/shoulder/butt does not hurt.
    No, I am not becoming unfit.
    Yes, these shorts are the right ones to wear.

I feel really fat today. Can you please edit your list to accommodate that little nerosis??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

You are the finest and fittest fat chick around here then. So, take thy hot self to the bath, dump in a load of Epsom salts and relax. All the work is done :)

You are the finest and fittest fat chick around here then. So, take thy hot self to the bath, dump in a load of Epsom salts and relax. All the work is done :)

Did you just call me fat!!!????? :eek::mad: (;))

Run Fat Chick Run

Plan: 4 miles easy

Not much to say about this run other than I felt like two ton Tessie in concrete work boots tonight. Ugh! This felt awful. Legs were heavy....really, really heavy. I assume this was my physio's parting gift to me last night - flushing toxins into the bloodstream...and something about the red blood cells and trash being taken out. :confused: But I believe there is no need to panic...no, no panic here....just the feeling that I weigh a disgusting amount even though the scales this morning begged to differ. :confused: WTF???

Returned home from my evening run in the heat and sunshine - oh, did I mention it was in the 80s today? - and trotted my bad-self out to the pool (which will be open in 9 days!) and worked my upper body and abs on the deck as I watched the sun go down behind the Massanutten Mountain. Lovely evening here. I then took a few minutes to just relax and feel the breeze cool my body while I decompressed my body and mind. :)

Actual: ~4.25 easy miles, upper body, abs, mental and physical decompression

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

and trotted my bad-self out to the pool (which will be open in 9 days!)

I must get the oil tank filled before crude oil goes up when your pool heater is switched on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I always find after a run or particularly hard or long bike that leg drains work wonders, point 8 http://www.active.com/running/Articles/10-Tips-to-Run-Better-and-Recover-Faster I normally do it for 8mins or so and the legs feel great the next day.

I always find after a run or particularly hard or long bike that leg drains work wonders, point 8 http://www.active.com/running/Articles/10-Tips-to-Run-Better-and-Recover-Faster I normally do it for 8mins or so and the legs feel great the next day.

Ooooo....I like the leg drain idea! That's a keeper for sure.

Race weight target - 108 pounds
    Weight check this morning - 108 pounds

I'm starting to feel a little less like two ton Tessie. Just need to keep it steady for 5 more days. ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Just need to keep it steady for 5 more days. ;):)

Soooooo, hope its not too early to start with the best wishes :)

Knock it out of the park Dory. You've done all the hard stuff and now you just have to enjoy the day and go with the flow that you've created.

Best of luck and know that we'll all be rooting for ya :D

RedB wrote: »
    Soooooo, hope its not too early to start with the best wishes :)

Knock it out of the park Dory. You've done all the hard stuff and now you just have to enjoy the day and go with the flow that you've created.

Best of luck and know that we'll all be rooting for ya :D

Thanks RedB!! And I guess with 5 days to go it's okay to start with the best wishes. I can't believe this time 48 hours from now I'll be in Boston!!! Woo hoo!!! getting sooooo excited!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I feel really fat today.
    Weight check this morning - 108 pounds
    I just want to say, there arent enough rolleyes in the world for someone of 108lbs saying they feel fat.

And doesnt the clock move so slooooowwwly these days? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I feel really fat today.

One of the effects of a good taper is to increase the amounts of glycogen that are stored on your muscles- these molecules bond with water, and this glycogen is easily utilized by your muscles during the race. The extra water needed for storage will increase your weight a bit, but it's all good right now.

Fatty ;)

Oryx wrote: »
    I just want to say, there arent enough rolleyes in the world for someone of 108lbs saying they feel fat.

And doesnt the clock move so slooooowwwly these days? :p

I said I was feeling fat. ;)

Time.....what is time?? ;) All I know is the house is immaculate right now (taper crazies) so if anyone wants to come for a visit, this is a good time to skip on over!
    Kurt Godel wrote: »
    One of the effects of a good taper is to increase the amounts of glycogen that are stored on your muscles- these molecules bond with water, and this glycogen is easily utilized by your muscles during the race. The extra water needed for storage will increase your weight a bit, but it's all good right now.

Fatty ;)

Fatty??? FATTY??? :eek: That's okay....someone whose name I won't mention but who happens to coach you in the water called me tubby this morning. So..."fat chick", "tubby"' and now "fatty". Talk about tough love. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Fatty??? FATTY??? :eek: That's okay....someone whose name I won't mention but who happens to coach you in the water called me tubby this morning. So..."fat chick", "tubby"' and now "fatty". Talk about tough love. :D

You really shouldn't be so cryptic :rolleyes:

And I'll take this opportunity to wish you the best this weekend. You've got through a mountain of work, and all of it executed incredibly well and in reported in typically positive style. You've earned that post race chocolate :D

The all-revealing sanctity of the male changing room shall not be broken... all I can say is the fish in question is living proof that lard will float well in water;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

You are the finest and fittest fat chick around here then. :)

Oi are you saying the rest of us fat chicks round here are not fit or fine! :mad:

BTH wrote: »
    You really shouldn't be so cryptic :rolleyes:

And I'll take this opportunity to wish you the best this weekend. You've got through a mountain of work, and all of it executed incredibly well and in reported in typically positive style. You've earned that post race chocolate :D

You mean....you figured out who I was talking about??? ;)

(and thanks for the well wishes, including the possibility of chocolate indulgence. :D)

The all-revealing sanctity of the male changing room shall not be broken... all I can say is the fish in question is living proof that lard will float well in water;)

Right, so....I assume you'll be at Thursday's practice then...?? ;):eek::D
    Solobally8 wrote: »
    Oi are you saying the rest of us fat chicks round here are not fit or fine! :mad:

I think he's saying there is NO fat chick category round here!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Right, so....I assume you'll be at Thursday's practice then...?? ;):eek::D

I sincerely hope he can make it this week - talking might be a touch difficult for him though. There may be time as Ill need to run through the basics again with regard to how to read a clock after one strange incident during last weeks adventure. Despite having wintered very well, I'll do my talking in Valentia - Ill probably wait until the week before to get my first run of the year in though. No real need to take it seriously.

Sorry, my manners, the best of luck in ...Boston** ..

**forgive me ... but whats on in Boston ... its obviously not a swimming event so ... of little interest to me

interested wrote: »
    I sincerely hope he can make it this week - talking might be a touch difficult for him though. There may be time as Ill need to run through the basics again with regard to how to read a clock after one strange incident during last weeks adventure. Despite having wintered very well, I'll do my talking in Valentia - Ill probably wait until the week before to get my first run of the year in though. No real need to take it seriously.

Sure I'm a couple of age groups away from senility, I can hardly be expected to read a clock correctly...

I biked up that hill in Valentia on an Xtracycle a few years ago, with a couple of nippers on the back. Don't expect I'll go any faster on the day, given the absence of hill work in training. (This is the sandbagging thread for Valentia, right?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

I biked up that hill in Valentia

Personally I'm impressed you went all that way to recon the course. Assume you're hoping for an age group podium or top 20 overall ? Fair play, you've really been putting it in over the winter. It would be a great result !!! Do you think you've already got a bike split in mind you'd like on the day ? hopefully there'll be similar weather to your test days down there.

Apologies DD, Kurt has his own log and all but since this is largely about Tri Boston this weekend ...

• Advertisement

Stay tuned folks for more on the mashup and trash talk that is known as Valentia. ;)

Now....back to my log....

Nearly There, Part I

Plan: 4 miles easy

I didn't feel the joy on this run, not sure why - so many possibilities. I kept this one super-easy-bordering-on-recovery because that's what my body wanted tonight.

And...it was another stellar evening here, so when I arrived back home I dragged my yoga mat, medicine ball, and weights outside to the grass by the pool and gave some love to the upper body and abs in the tropical breeze while the sun was setting. Exhale..... Then I honored JB's leg drain suggestion by spending a good 10 minutes in the plow and shoulder stand yoga positions enjoying the stretch and inversion of gravity. Ommmm... And then finally, I just relaxed on my mat in the evening air with my eyes closed listening to some Green Day. I could have stayed on that mat relaxing all night, but alas I had to shift the laundry, cook dinner, and start thinking about packing. Snap! Back to reality. Sigh...

Actual: ~4.25 miles (still Garmin free), upper body, abs, yoga, relax

Nearly There, Part II

Plan: 2 miles at MP

The plan was to make this a quasi-dress rehearsal to be done at the approximate time I'd be taking off wearing the approximate clothing I'll be wearing after I've eaten the approximate foods I'll be eating on the morning. Check, check and check - all done to specifications. The only specification that was not done quite to specifications (and this was told to me in UNDERLINED CAPS)....was the pace. Dammit. I even sat for a few minutes before I took off wondering if I'd even be able to pull MP out of my pocket since I've felt so crappy on the last two night's runs. I further thought I might need a partial mile to warm up and get in the groove so I just eased into it....but within the first fifth of the first mile I was already at 7:45 pace so I thought what the hell and banished the idea of a warmup. My target was 7:30....but soon enough I was at 7:15. Gah!! Backed if off....but still went 7:21 for mile one. Mile two wasn't much different, only faster without intending it to be. At the halfway point into the second mile, I was sailing at 7:07...backed if off again to the point I felt like I was taking a leisurely walk in the park and was able to bring it down to 7:17. :oI will really, really, really have to mindful of this on Monday....I will have to think in terms of conserving energy....and I will have to be so disciplined that I shock the sh*t out of everyone. But there is one silver lining for me about today's run...and that is I'm feeling my groove come back. Yes the paces were too fast, but mentally I'm getting it all back in the right place, and physically I felt pretty good today. :)

I fly out tomorrow morning to start my Boston adventure. I still have to pack and drive myself crazy with all the things I've crammed in my head, but I will take a few minutes later to relax by the pool and chill and reflect on what's to come. Coach has given me my orders and paces for the race - thanks coach!!! Without going into specific detail, let's just say I will target different paces for different segements of the course (translation: 7:30 is not necessarily my target pace, so no one panic!! the first goal is to get a sub 3:30, then we'll see after that) - I will start out conservatively....hopefully find my rhythm around mile 6.....back if off a little on the hills starting at mile 15/16....then finish as strong as I can once the hills are a meer memory in my mind. Sounds easy on paper, right? Right. The work is done and I'm ready to give it a go....excited to give it a go.....I just need to mind the energy and hydration on the day and I think I'll be fine. Whoop whoop!! :D

Actual: 2.11 miles in 15:28 for an average pace of 7:19 min/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

... and breath !

Best of luck in Boston - not that you'll need it. Work is in in the bag - so just remember the plan and you'l be golden. So ...take it _easy_ for the first 16 miles or so - MP really really is MP this time !! Resist the temptation to hammer the downhills after the Newton hills - your quads will not thank you.

Finally - this popped into my mail yesterday:

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/11-Golden-Rules-for-Running-a-Successful-Boston-Marathon.htm?cmp=291&memberid=95341478&lyrisid=40221370

If only I could persuade you to wear a Yankees hat for the run. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Good luck in the race Dory, you'll do fantastic!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Oh how I wish I had the problem of effortlessly going too fast on MP miles :)

Sounds like you have not been running too fast at all, rather you are in much better shape than you think.

Best of Luck on Monday, go nail it!!. Digger will be watching his back I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Best of luck Dory. I'm so super excited for you. You are going to kick ass! I'll be thinking of you all day Monday. I've stocked up on goodies for the epic report on your amazing performance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

DD, not much I can add to the well wishes that hasn't already been said.
    You are in superb shape for Beantown:) and you will fly around it.

108lbs sound very, very light, how much have you lost? is it all down to no treats or did you chop off a limb? (not a leg I hope;))
    I'm relieved to see you are allowed Choccie after the race ( I think at one stage you were saying you wouldn't be having any?) I've sent a little package with Claralara, I did tell her it was Chia seeds inside, she likes chocolate just as much as me and I wasn't sure it would be safe:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Best of luck, heres hoping you will give me a decent target to aim at for Dublin. Looking forward to the report

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Best of luck Dory. It will be no problem to ya. Looking forward to your report

Advertisement