Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

The Not Sure Where This Came From Session :confused::eek::o:):D

Plan: 2 miles easy, 3 miles HMP, 2 miles easy

Okay. Right. Hmmm. Well, all I can say is I felt amazing tonight. Okayokayokay let me qualify this a bit - because my right knee is giving me the teeniest, tiniest of a fit (I believe from hitting the downhills a little too hard recently) I made the decision to do the HMP miles on a flat as a pancake course, so perhaps we can add a few seconds to the actual paces (is +20 seconds reasonable?? :confused:), but there was wind. Wind at my back, wind at my front, wind pushing me sideways. Wind. But the run...

...the run....the first two miles easy on the up and down streets of town were lovely, but I was confused and concerned when I saw I was averaging circa 7:30..for easy..and it felt easy. I was concerned that I'd then blow up when I got into my HMP miles, especially since I had it in my head that I would target 7:20 for the HMP, but I felt so good that I just let my worries go and kept it relaxed. I upped the pace as soon as my Garmin told me the easy miles had come to an end and got into a groove for the next 3 miles. I glanced at my watch from time to time and knew I was going much faster than I had planned, but after a quick debate in my head about whether or not I should slow down, and after I reasoned that this was an artificially flat surface that was artificially assisting me and my pace (it was at this point that I came up with the 20 second theory :confused:), I concluded I would ignore the watch and run on effort while keeping my form proper, body relaxed, and effort sustainable. I felt good, what can I say?? I. Just. Felt. Good. :)

Even the cool down miles were faster than normal. I did 2 of the cool down miles immediately upon finishing the 3 HMP miles, and it's actually pretty hard to slow the legs down when they're feeling so strong. I stopped off to watch the local high school track meet for about 15 minutes (boring!) then finished off the rest of my cool down up some hills and through some grass - a shortcut back to the clinic.

Any way...here are my paces, artificial or not...here they are....

7:29, 7:28
    7:02, 6:54, 6:50
    7:50, 7:22, 7:54, 1:21 (7:40)

Actual: 8.18 miles in 1:00:15 for an average pace of 7:22 min/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Wow. Delighted to see that you're running so fast and it feels so easy. Keep that in the forefront of your mind for another week and a half and all will be well.

Really loving this at the moment. Might keep your mind off of the knee:

Wow. Delighted to see that you're running so fast and it feels so easy. Keep that in the forefront of your mind for another week and a half and all will be well.

Really loving this at the moment. Might keep your mind off of the knee:

Thanks....but we'll see how the running translates in due time. ;)

And...the song. Too funny! Great minds and all - I've been listening to this myself for a good two weeks straight. Love the raw, edgy feel that Jack gives to the U2 cover. :)

The "I Caused A Car Wreck" Session :eek:

Plan: 5 miles easy

Yep. That's right. I caused a car wreck this evening. :( Oops. But it was NOT my fault. I was minding my own business running, and I was obeying all traffic rules and regulations...I even had on my neon green top so I could be seen from the next county over.....and I didn't even have my iPod plugged into my audio sensories, so my full attention was definitely where it should have been at all times. I was happily trotting down Main Street (heading east), and as I approached the East Coast gas station there was a car waiting to exit the station's parking lot and blocking my path. No biggie. When this happens I usually go behind the car to get around it. Well, this car had a sweet older lady behind the wheel so in her attempt to be considerate of me she started backing up to let me by. Super, right?? Um, I don't think the owner of the vehicle that was directly behind her who she smashed into thought it was too super. Ugh! I saw it all unfolding but I couldn't stop it. Even saw the look of horror on the woman's face who was being plowed into. No one got hurt, but there was definitely damage to the vehicles. I really wasn't sure what to do in the aftermath myself - I mean, no one was hurt, it was obvious what happened, and I didn't really know what my presence would add....so, without even missing a step I gave them both my best "gosh I'm so sorry, and thank you for trying to get out of my way, but this wasn't my fault...and now I have to finish my run because I have the Boston Marathon in 10 days.....yes, THE Boston Marathon....so best to you both and your insurance companies" look and kept moving east. I think it worked out okay. :o

Other than that little incident, the run was fine. No Garmin for me tonight - I will be leaving the Garmin home for the remaining easy runs to force me to listen to the body and not compete with the watch. I could feel last night's session in the legs, but all is well. Slowed it on the hills, and kept effort steady and easy. I did the exact same route as I did on Tuesday so would know the mileage.

Actual: 5.06 easy miles in a crash, bang-up time ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Dory Dory wrote: »
    The "I Caused A Car Wreck" Session

I laughed - does this make me bad ? Oh ... not Mrs. Dugans I hope :eek:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

and you're 100% sure it was a little old lady driving the car ?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQl0TiAefmdBHCKsvDtEcvqrqONJ46jOJpbwXMDv8UUYQ0PV8sR

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You couldn't make this stuff up. Your log is like Lake Wobegon on acid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I see banana skins in your future, men carrying plate glass windows, wily animals on homemade "Acme" rockets... best taper ever;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    I see banana skins in your future, men carrying plate glass windows, wily animals on homemade "Acme" rockets... best taper ever;)

Did someone say banana loaf :pac:

I went to the post office today. :)

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    I went to the post office today. :)

Thanks Oryx. You're the best! :D

Lettin' a Li'l Leg Show

Plan: 6 miles easy

Finally!! A day warm enough/sun shiny enough to warrant a little leg debut. Granted, all onlookers may have needed a pair of sunglasses to protect their eyes from the blinding whiteness of them, but in due time (translation: when my pool opens in 12 days) that will be corrected. ;):)

As previously mentioned, I am not wearing my Garmin for the remainder of the easy runs, so it was sans that fashion accessory that I embarked on this delightful jaunt about a busy town that is waking from its winter slumber. Seems everyone in our county was out and about this gorgeous morning running errands in town as the streets and sidewalks were buzzing with activity. I kept this short little run in the very easy range of effort, singing and humming the entire way to Green Day's most recent three album set. (for all Green Day lovers, this set is worth a listen/purchase!!) I had two motivations for keeping this super easy - a) I don't need to f*ck anything up at this point with Boston only days away....and, b) some of my favorite songs on this set are later in the playlist, therefore I didn't want to go too fast and get done before I could enjoy them. :D

Legs felt/feel good.....knee getting better....didn't wear my thigh compression sleeves and all was pretty well.....felt stronger/easier as the run went on......and did the same route I had done over a week ago so I would know mileage. The work is done....just topping things off now and trying to use all the willpower I can muster to prevent myself from eating everything that's not nailed down. So far the weight is staying where I want it to be, but it will be my biggest battle from here until I rock it up to the start line.

Actual: 6.62 miles in the Garmin-free sunshine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Forget about marathon jitters, 9 days to chocolate and you SO deserve it :)

Forget about marathon jitters, 9 days to chocolate and you SO deserve it :)

But I believe the way our challenge contract reads is I can only have chocolate on that one day, and only if I make my goal time. But if I do make my goal time, and if I have our terms correct, then I have made the decision to partake in an orgy of chocolate sins on that day. The pub's cleaning crew may find me half comatose on a bar stool with chocolate smeared across my face and dripping off my hands (not to mention the mug, the dish of peanuts, the bar, the cocktail napkin, the tip....) when they're sweeping up at closing time....but it will all be in the name of duty to my country and to the almighty cocoa bean. ;):D

Goodbye (for now) Sunday Sessions

Plan: 12 miles w/last two miles at MP

It's another gorgeous sunshiny day here, a good bit windy though, with temps in the 60s. Based on my very premature and cursory inquiry to the possible weather on the day in Boston, it looks like race day might be similar to a day like today - which is not bad as long as the wind is at our backs. (cue the subtle request for fingers and toes to be crossed for a nice tailwind on the day ;))

I decided to do a modified Lake Arrowhead route - I decided to incorporate the 4 miles uphill and the 4 miles downhill of that route into this run starting at mile 2....then finish the last few miles on easier rolling hills on the east end of town. The wind wasn't too much of a factor until the last two miles as it was head on and fully gusting. Brief synopsis of the miles as follows:

Mile 1 - slight rolling hills/fairly flat...felt good, started faster than I intended, but this set the tone for the rest of the run. 7:31
    Miles 2 through 5 - all uphill, with the grade increasing each mile....kept meno's words to glide uphill in mind, so I backed off the gas with each mile to keep effort steady. 7:33, 7:28, 7:42, 7:55
    Miles 6 through 9 - all downhill, with grade decreasing each mile....and I used these miles to coast, eat shot bloks, and rest while running. 7:32, 7:29, 7:25, 7:31
    Mile 10 - pretty flat to start, then morphed into some uphill. 7:33
    Miles 11 and 12 - first mile was a net loss in elevation (did not intend to structure it this way) but the wind hit me like a ton of bricks....second mile was minimal ups and downs, mainly flat-ish, and equal parts headwind/tailwind. 6:58, 6:54

Finished off the run with a recovery jog back to the clinic. Overall the paces were faster than intended, which is consistent with my previous training. I'm sure I am frustrating to my coach, but I realize the importance of discipline on race day and will take that very seriously and keep to the plan even if I can't keep to the plan while training. :o So today marks my last Sunday session of this marathon cycle. It's a bit bittersweet, but laced with great excitement. :):D

Actual: 13.2 miles in 1:39:59 for an average pace of 7:35 min/mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Very nice run! You may have gone faster than intended, but the fact that the miles were so consistent shows you were well aware of keeping a steady pace, and picked it up nicely for the last two. Run the first half of Boston disciplined like this, and you'll be away in a hack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Serious progress on the log over the past few months Dory, well done and keep it up!

Thanks Kurt and Basster! :) It's just a matter of time now....

But in other news....may I take a moment to say.....

....good bye little toe nail. You've been a good friend for a long time....brightening up the other four toe nails you shared common space with...and happily wearing all the colors I subjected your surface to with style. You fought the good fight with epic courage, hanging on since the unrelenting trauma I subjected you to down at Disney, being a team player to the bitter end. I wanted you to make it to Boston, to share in the glory of the big day, but it wasn't meant to be. Even in the last moments you spent perched on my toe today holding on by a thread, you didn't complain...and when it was obvious that you weren't going to make it - that your best days had come and gone, and that there was nothing more I could do to sustain you - it was with both serious consideration and silent grace that I let you go. May you rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I feel your pain and sympathise deeply with you DD.
    A little toe-nail I'd been caring for since the start of the year was ruthlessly taken from me when I snagged it on my sock as I was taking it off after a run last week.
    Luckily, the space had been sub-let for quite some time and I'm hoping that my new lodger has no plans to depart any time soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Actual: 13.2 miles in 1:39:59 for an average pace of 7:35 min/mile

Ohhhhh thats a big PB for a 1/2 marathon if my memory serves me correct!

Great to do it in training with the last mile being a warm down - you are coming on in leaps and bounds!

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    I feel your pain and sympathise deeply with you DD.
    A little toe-nail I'd been caring for since the start of the year was ruthlessly taken from me when I snagged it on my sock as I was taking it off after a run last week.
    Luckily, the space had been sub-let for quite some time and I'm hoping that my new lodger has no plans to depart any time soon!

<sniff, sniff>
    Give me a moment to collect myself....
    Belcarra, I am so sorry for your incredible loss. To have cared for that little nail for 3 months was no small task I'm sure, but feel good that you did all you could for it in the time it had left. The fact that a new little nail has emerged in its place is grand, and a gentle reminder of the magic of the renewal of life. ;):D
    catweazle wrote: »
    Ohhhhh thats a big PB for a 1/2 marathon if my memory serves me correct!

Great to do it in training with the last mile being a warm down - you are coming on in leaps and bounds!

Oooooo......good memory cw!!!! Funny how similar my time is to your most recent half marathon time. ;)

This time next week.....:eek:;):):D

Plan: 20 minutes recovery

This was just my usual lunchtime treadmill quickie.

Actual: 20 minutes recovery on the trusty treadie

On my way back to the clinic after this recovery run, who do I bump into in the parking lot walking her little dog?? The dear, sweet, elder widow, Mrs. Dougans!!! "Gazelle....Gazelle....is that you?" she yelled to me as I popped out of my vehicle. (She calls me various names based on where her mind is at that moment.) "Yes, Mrs. Dougans, it is" I yelled back to her as I walked over to chat with her. She asked me a million questions about my travel plans to Boston, wanted to know if I was ready for the race, and then reassured me that she would be thinking of me as my wave takes off at 10:20 that morning. (so sweet!) Then.....she gave me a big hug, kissed me on my cheek with her amazingly vibrant red lipstick coated lips (and transferred a good bit of that amazingly vibrant red lipstick to my cheek thus causing me to wash my face immediately upon entering the clinic) and told me that she really hopes I win. She. Really. Hopes. I. Win. :D Oh, if only we all could age this wonderfully. :)

Physio session was tonight. My last physio session. Thank god. Not the best value when your physio wants to be more your friend and less your physio....and talks to much....and can't multitask...and tells really stupid jokes....and tells the really stupid jokes more than once because he can't remember which really stupid jokes he's already told. Chapter closed. Oorah.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Oooooo......good memory cw!!!! Funny how similar my time is to your most recent half marathon time. ;)

Ya but I felt obliged to tow Amphkingwest along with me as the entry was generously on him, you will need to go faster than that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

silly Question,.... But how are you feeling DD? any weird nice dreams to report??:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Just popping by to wish you good luck for Boston, not that you need it. Training has been spot on and you are in great shape. Make sure you listen to coach, stick to the race plan and the result (a fast one) will look after itself.
    Oh and when the going gets tough stick a smile on yer face, crack on and think of a handsome little hobbit whispering sweet nothings shouting in your ear to go faster;)
    Have a good one as you have worked darn hard for it.

You've put in the work, all the hard days you made sound easy here. So run smart but run hard. Nothing gets left on the course. Have a ball, Cinderella!

I. Hope. You. Win. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

All the best Dory - I think I'll have a 7hour or so head-start on you in SA, but I think you'll be finished well before!

Training looks like it has been going great - just what is required for a serious crack at Boston.

Bon chance!

Younganne wrote: »
    silly Question,.... But how are you feeling DD? any weird nice dreams to report??:D

No strange or alarming dreams to report...just too many various to-do and don't-forget-to-take lists in my head driving me completely mad. But....other than that, I'm pretty much ready to go. :D You're nearly there as well. :)

Handsome little hobbit whispering....
    ....Hope. I. Win. ....
    ....7 hour head-start...

It's only Tuesday!!! I've got 6 more days to go!!!! It's not time for this yet!!! Dammit!!!

(taper madness continues....;))

• Advertisement

For the next 6 days repeat the following phrases as often as required:

No, I am not really sick.
    No, my ankle/knee/shoulder/butt does not hurt.
    No, I am not becoming fat and/or unfit.
    Yes, these shorts are the right ones to wear.

Advertisement