Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Dory Dory wrote: »
    As far as triathlons...still considering Galway, BUT, family on Achill may alter that option - still up in the air.

but.... but... I was so looking forward to the DD/ CW smackdown :(
    but hey if not then if you're passing my way en route to Achill do call in for a cup of tea :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

littlebug wrote: »
    but.... but... I was so looking forward to the DD/ CW smackdown :(
    but hey if not then if you're passing my way en route to Achill do call in for a cup of tea :D

:) Aw, thanks. It's not totally off the books yet, I'm still waiting to hear back from two cousins to figure out when they'll be on Achill. I will keep you posted. :)

Yet Another Field Run

I just can't force myself to venture outside the confines of this field that I love quite yet. I step out my front door (or back door) in whatever I feel like wearing, with my hair in whatever configuration I feel like having it in, and run for as long as I feel like running for....and I have access to bathrooms, snacks and fluids at all times. Why would I go anywhere else? ;)

This was probably the best run to date since the marathon. I had originally intended to go 12 miles, but I could feel my left hamstring start to tighten a little around mile 8 or 9, so I decided to call it quits after 10 miles. There is no need to rack up crazy miles at the risk of injury, especially since I have other training options and am technically still in post marathon recovery.

The reason this was a good run was because I felt relaxed and kept the paces pretty even. I really wanted to keep all miles under 9 minutes, and that was no problem at all. I also tried concentrating on leaning into the gentle declines and putting a little mustard on the gentle inclines, and I did an okay job with both of those tasks, but the leaning into thing is nowhere near automatic yet.

10.3 miles in 1:27:54 for an average pace of 8:34 min/mile.

Proper Road Ride

Yep, that's right....I actually got the bike out for its road debut of the year. The ride confirmed that yes-indedy-boy-oh-boy I am a very poor cyclist, but the first one is out of the way and now I hope to improve and gain confidence each time I get out there. I'm also disappointed that I only got in 15.22 miles, but it is what it is.

To avoid the narrow and winding roads with crazy arse drivers of our county, I requested that the hubby and I go up to Skyline Drive where the roads are sufficiently wide and the speed limit, which is carefully controlled, is a nice 35 mph. Because hubby is a very strong cyclist and because we live only a few miles from the base of the Blue Ridge Mountain (the mountain on which Skyline Drive sits), he started off ahead of me on his bike from our house while I took the car with my bike in the back and met him at the top.

The ride itself was pretty uneventful - an out to Elkwallow Wayside and back with nice hills and straight stretches. Hubby stayed behind me shouting gear suggestions when he didn't like the gears I was using.....and he was encouraging me by pointing out what I was doing right. On the out, I thought we had really a strong headwind and was looking forward to the back, but to my surprise, I realized I had the wind backwards when on a downhill on the back section I was going slow as a snail and hubby explained that it was the dreadful wind holding the speed back. :confused:

Gorgeous day...and plenty of cyclists out on the Drive. Hubby said he'd try to get me out at least one evening each week and one day each weekend to work on cycling. Lots of work to do.....

Garmin lost satellite at the halfway point, but I have the bike reading....and as far as speed goes, it was anywhere between 12mph and 23mph. Again, lots of work to do....

15.22 miles in approximately 55 minutes.

Field Run

Because the bike session was so short, I changed into my runners as soon as i got home and headed out into the sun and the field. Tunes on, bottle of water perched in its proper place, and off I went. As soon as I crested over the first hill, there Mr. groundhog was.....and based on the look he gave me, I'm sure I ruined his day.

My legs are a little tired from yesterday's 10 miler, so I tried to keep today's pace a bit slower. Probably should have gone even slower than I did, but sometimes it's hard to do that.

6.14 miles in 54:34.53 for an average pace of 8:53 min/mile.

Contemplating a swim tonight....but the pool is still quite chilly so may have to wait a day or two more.

Pool Debut :D

Wicked cool tropical print speedo - check.
    Matching pink speedo goggles - check.
    Essential kick board and pull buoy - check, check.
    Amazing cannonball in Interested's honor - not exactly.

After only 3 days since the cover was peeled back and the heater was turned on, I risked freezing my patootie off with the water temp a mere brisk 76 degrees (I know, but I'm a heat seeker!!) but I really wanted to get this swim season started. It almost didn't happen, however, as it took me about ten minutes of easing into the pool (thus no amazing cannonball) and convincing myself that my limbs would not fall off due to "exposure", and slowly but surely the mind and body came to an agreement to HTFU and get swimming.

I kept this session simple, and will probably keep the next several sessions simple to get my sea legs back. I never did warm up....and my core is still cold and a few fingers are still numb as I sit on the couch writing this. Brrrrr. :(

2,000 yards:
    400 freestyle
    400 pull
    400 kick
    400 pull
    400 freestyle

Again, starting simple and slow. For now. :)

So, this was a good day - road bike debut, field run, freezing cold swim session. I sort of had my own triathlon going on today. Yay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

76 degrees

Thats ... 24 degrees celcius :eek: ... no cannonball ?? :eek::eek: truly disappointed.
    Necessity dictated a brief splash into the Irish sea Friday afternoon - a balmy 6 degrees without a suit (granted I lasted about 3 mins) but another 15 in there yesterday evening with a suit and another few demented souls. I think DD, its time you gave up on any idea of actually swimming OW this side of the pond with your current attitude :rolleyes:

Glad to hear the pool opened though.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Guys, we finally found her weak spot! Girl don't like cold! You do know that now when you come over, were gonna make you swim ow just to see how you like it. :)

interested wrote: »
    Thats ... 24 degrees celcius :eek: ... no cannonball ?? :eek::eek: truly disappointed.
    Necessity dictated a brief splash into the Irish sea Friday afternoon - a balmy 6 degrees without a suit (granted I lasted about 3 mins) but another 15 in there yesterday evening with a suit and another few demented souls. I think DD, its time you gave up on any idea of actually swimming OW this side of the pond with your current attitude :rolleyes:

Glad to hear the pool opened though.

After my brain and body thawed last night, it occurred to me that the water temp reading of 76 degrees was probably based on surface water that had been warmed by the full sun all day long and it did not take into account the other 98% of H2O below that top layer that I'm just about 100% certain was, oh, by golly, had to be at least in the 60s...but no more than 71 or 72 degrees for sure. ;) The temp sensor is at the pump - so, I'm sure you now have much more empathy for what I went through last night swimming in that frigid lips-turning-blue water....and I'm sure you totally understand why a canonball was not in the cards. BUT, I will more than make that canonball up to you....by the week's end. :D
    Oryx wrote: »
    Guys, we finally found her weak spot! Girl don't like cold! You do know that now when you come over, were gonna make you swim ow just to see how you like it. :)

Girl never liked cold!!! Gimme heat any day of the week. OW?? You going in with me?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Good to see your pool is open for business Dory! Only a matter of time before you take the top of SBR by storm! :)

Good to see your pool is open for business Dory! Only a matter of time before you take the top of SBR by storm! :)

Seems like the IM studs and studettes (that'd be you, Oryx) are starting to really rack up the mileage (and making me feel like a total slacker), so I'll just be glad to hang on for dear life for the next few months. But I will start racking up some swim mileage myself! :D

• Advertisement

Trainer

A ho-hum night with not much zip. :( I knew I didn't want to run - needed to give my legs a break, so that left the cold pool or put the bike back on the trainer. I checked the weather report for the next few days and determined that with the increasing temps and sunshine (today was cold and cloudy), I had plenty of swimming-friendly evenings heading my way. Plus, my Caps were (are) playing in game 2 of this series tonight, so on the trainer my bike went and away I spun.

Nothing remarkable to report about the spin session. 20 miles in approximately 1 hour and 15 or 20 minutes. Seemed to take more effort than it should have, but I guess we all have those sessions.

Caps up 2-1 in 3rd period...but we are going shorthanded. Grrrrrrr.....

Swim Session

Time: 6:00pm EST
    Air temp: 86 degrees Fahrenheit
    Water temp: 85 degrees Fahrenheit
    Sun: Full, and gracefuly setting over the Massanutten Mountain
    Music: A hip selection of old and new tunes soaked in rock and blues wafting over the pool

Wow, what a perfect mix of known variables to maximize the enjoyment factor of the aquatic environment I was about to enter for this evening's session. I just relaxed and let all the stresses of the day be washed away with each lap I did. Steady and hypnotically rhythmic it was for the first 4k, then a mash up of some kicking and pulling for the next 2k. I mainly concentrated on my position in the water and maximizing my pull. Arms were tiring towards the end of the session, thus unearthing the fact that my left arm is slightly weaker than my right arm. Good second session in the pool, and I am very happy to be in the water again. :)

6,000 yards as follows:
    4,000 yards freestyle
    400 yards kick
    4 x 200 yards pull
    400 yards kick
    5 x 80 yards freestyle

Field Tempo

It's been three and a half weeks since the marathon, and in that time I've done zero speed work of any kind (I assume a tempo run qualifies as speed work?), and because I have settled rather comfortably into running every run at a LSR pace or slower, I was starting to be haunted (and taunted) by thoughts that I had gotten soft and squishy by enjoying the slower pace too much and that perhaps my best running days were behind me and that I'd never see a 7:xx min/mile again. :confused::eek: Soft and squishy was about to be tested - I decided I needed to do a short tempo run to see if there was any speed left in these legs.

The field was quiet tonight - no Mr. Groundhog, no Mr. Kitty....only the assorted bunny and bird to be found frolicking about. I decided I'd go 2 easy miles, 2 hard miles, then 2 easy miles for a total of 6ish miles. I didn't really have any particular pace in mind for the 2 hard miles, I just wanted to see what I had in me. The first 2 miles felt pretty good, but because I could feel the heat (upper 80s) and humidity and had a good sweat going, I decided I'd stop for a water break before I headed off for the next 2 fast miles. Took off for mile 3 trying to keep it relaxed but strong, however after about a quarter of a mile I could really feel the effort so I had a glance at the Garmin and was relieved to see my pace was a fast 6:45, thus explaining how hard it felt. Decided to relax it a bit because I knew I could not keep this pace up, plus I was starting to feel nauseated. I did stop between fast miles - just had to catch my breath and get a sip of water. Mile 4 was even more of an effort with even more waves of nausea - it was rather ugly, actually, and I was so glad when the watch indicated mile 4 was in the books. The next 2 miles were just all about getting them done.

Miles as follows:
    8:43, 8:19
    7:07, 6:59
    9:42, 9:42, 1:46 (9:21 pace)

6.19 miles in 52:20.79 for an average pace of 8:27 min/mile.

Okay, so I can still do a 7 min/mile. Did take a brief rest and water to do it, but I did it. :)

Swim Session

Tossed the running clothes in the hamper and shimmied into my bathing suit. Down to the pool and focused on doing 2k. As soon as I started into my first lap, I could feel last night's swim in my arms, and I could feel tonight's run in my legs. Gah! But the water around my body felt grand, so there was that. I would classify this as more of a recovery swim, and now as I type this I can honestly say my body is tired.

2,000 yards in simple fashion:
    400 free
    400 pull
    400 kick
    400 pull
    400 free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Field Tempo
    The field was quiet tonight - no Mr. Groundhog, no Mr. Kitty....only the assorted bunny and bird to be found frolicking about.

Possibly the effects of a long boring swim this morning, or the coffee, or tiredness but this has conjured the mental image of you jogging about in some sort of twisted Disney/Tim Burton-style reality with cartoon characters that can talk to you.

Unfortunately my comment reflects more about me than you DD ;)
    ye ye ye ... recovery swim .. ye ye ye ...enough. Where's my bomb ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You should stick your name in this thread. You would nail those times.

interested wrote: »
    Possibly the effects of a long boring swim this morning, or the coffee, or tiredness but this has conjured the mental image of you jogging about in some sort of twisted Disney/Tim Burton-style reality with cartoon characters that can talk to you.

Unfortunately my comment reflects more about me than you DD ;)
    ye ye ye ... recovery swim .. ye ye ye ...enough. Where's my bomb ?

Have I told you about my bullfrog named Phelps who lives in the drain in the pool deck? This is his third summer living in that drain and swimming in my pool - he has a beautiful breast stroke....amazing, really. Technically correct and very efficient. And he's quite hard to catch when I'm trying to fish him out of my lane. ;) Any way...add him to your uber cool and twisted Tim Burton-y image. :D

Your bomb will be on the docket for tomorrow night as for some reason a Friday night seems appropriate for such death-defying theatrics. :)

You should stick your name in this thread. You would nail those times.

Clearly the Clown Meat sales are down and you've resorted to working off a recruitment commisssion with mass emails to all the ladies on the boards because I really can only come up with one (maybe two) targets I could perhaps hit.

But on a brighter note...if you want internet swimming lessons to prepare you for that triathlon you and the late dpop are doing together let me know. I'm at your service. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I’ve been thinking about what you’ve put to me regarding my running career all week. It really is quite bizarre… (my running ‘career’, not your post) Anyway, I actually want to provide a proper (lengthy, of course) response (which will most likely be for my own benefit and memoirs!) so it’s been occupying a fierce amount of mind over the last few days. I decided to go back and read my original log which I started when I had reached the fine goal of breaking 60 minutes for a 10k race. I got to about page two and am laughing, crying and cringing inside all at once…Mortifying!! I thought an LSR was a Long Saturday Run….oh dear Lord. This chapter of my autobiography is going to be loooooonnggg!!

Ps you asked for it! :p

claralara wrote: »
    I’ve been thinking about what you’ve put to me regarding my running career all week. It really is quite bizarre… (my running ‘career’, not your post) Anyway, I actually want to provide a proper (lengthy, of course) response (which will most likely be for my own benefit and memoirs!) so it’s been occupying a fierce amount of mind over the last few days. I decided to go back and read my original log which I started when I had reached the fine goal of breaking 60 minutes for a 10k race. I got to about page two and am laughing, crying and cringing inside all at once…Mortifying!! I thought an LSR was a Long Saturday Run….oh dear Lord. This chapter of my autobiography is going to be loooooonnggg!!

Ps you asked for it! :p

And SOOOO many of us can't WAIT to read it!! Take your time. You would be a good study in the science of an athlete. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

And SOOOO many of us can't WAIT to read it!! Take your time. You would be a good study in the science of an athlete. ;)

Or a freaking wierdo! :)

• Advertisement

90 Minutes of Yoga

The body could feel this one - arms, legs, and my core is still sore (what's up with that??).....but it's done and in the books!!

Just wondering if anyone out there is signing up for Walt Disney World's Marathon Weekend January 10-13, 2013?? I'm thinking about signing up for the "Goofy" (half marathon on Saturday and full marathon on Sunday) - all through Epcot and the Magic Kingdom, but I'm trying to figure out my schedule and priorities now before it gets all booked up.

http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/events/rundisney/wdw-marathon/

(BeepBeep was quacking this morning - the half marathon is the Donald Duck race.)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I'm thinking about signing up for the "Goofy" (half marathon on Saturday and full marathon on Sunday) - all through Epcot and the Magic Kingdom
    If you're going to run 39.3 miles, come to Connemara next year and do it all in one go!
    All athletes entering the Walt Disney World® Marathon, Half Marathon or 5K must maintain a 16-minute per mile pace throughout the race. It is suggested that you train at a 15-minute per mile pace.
    Taken slightly out of context, but..... :eek:

If you're going to run 39.3 miles, come to Connemara next year and do it all in one go!

Taken slightly out of context, but..... :eek:

If I don't get into Boston (or if I do get in and you talk me out of it), then I WILL DEFINITELY do Connemara Ultra!!

I hadn't seen the training/pace recommendations/requirements....but either I will be looking pretty good on race day, or they expect us to be in bulky Disney character costumes. ;)

Outdoor Trainer Session

The evening was so picture-perfect that I set the bike up on the deck and spun pool side with music wafting. Legs were still fairly tired from last night's run and today's yoga, and based on how slow I was going for the first few miles, I was actually concerned about how long it might take me to get to my goal of 20 miles. Thankfully, around mile 2 or 3 the legs were getting in the groove and I was at an acceptable pace for my skill level. Whew!

20 miles in approximately 1 hour and 10 or 15 minutes.

Swim Session

Ah, the pool....this is where I belong, and not perched on a bicycle spinning like an idiot. The water felt amazing, and everything was clicking just right for this short session. It was a quick 2k while daylight was slipping into night.

2,000 yards as follows:
    10 x 200 yards, one each in this order - free/kick/pull/free/kick/pull/free/kick/pull/free

Swim Session

If I take one day off a week, it's a Friday.....but because A) it was so mild outside this evening, B) hubby is out of town, and C) I have pool mileage to make up on the SBR Challenge, it was a no-brainer to rack up a few laps in the backyard pond.

My favorite tunes on, pool toys at the ready, and off I went on a steady 2k freestyle warm up. Then it was a pull and kick pyramid at high effort and no recovery - my upper body felt strong tonight and I really maxed all I could out of my stroke. Then I closed the session with a cool down mix of freestyle and breaststroke.

4,000 yards as follows:
    2,000 free
    Pyramid of 240, 200, 160, 120, 80, 40 - alternating pull then kick at each distance
    320 free/breast cool down

Nice session, and ice cream tonight will be guilt-free. :)

Training session of the day #1:

Okayyyyyy....my goal for today was to do 2 x 4k swim sessions and a 10 mile run.....but so far today has been a bit disjointed and I'm having to roll with what is being handed to me and keeping my tasks fluid. The day is not done yet, so I'm still planning on accomplishing my goals, but here's what's in the books thus far:

Swim Session

Originally I had planned on doing a 4k set this morning, but due to a few unexpected occurrences when I got home from working at the clinic early this morning (like hanging out with the cats on the bed and accidentally falling asleep for an hour!) I decided to cut this first swim down to 3k and make this evening's swim a 5k.

Nothing fancy about this set...decided to keep with the pyramid theme as I like making the bigger chunks early in the workout so the end seems to come quicker.....make sense?

3,000 yards total as follows:
    1,000 free
    800 pull
    600 kick
    400 pull
    200 free

Field Run

Still dripping from the pool, I headed out with a bottle of water in hand for my field run. Relaxed and enjoying the easy run, rain started falling around 2 miles into it. No biggie, as it was a nice easy rain that felt good and gave a bit of added character to the moment. Around mile 4, I ran inside to make a quick pit stop and check on the score of the Caps vs NY Rangers game, and while I was inside the heavens opened up and buckets and buckets of rain was coming down. Decided to give it a few minutes, so I settled down with the cats (these two cats of mine appear to be a very bad influence on me!) and got sucked into the game (which we won, by the way), but now I have 6 more miles to do this evening when I get back from my afternoon obligation at the clinic.

4.15 miles in 37:07.06 for an average pace of 8:57 min/mile.

Training session of the day #2 yet to come.....
    Hope I can squeeze it all in....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

g session of the day #1:[/B]

Okayyyyyy....my goal for today was to do 2 x 4k swim sessions and a 10 mile run.....
    Holy smokes Batman!!! eek squared

Training session of the day #2

Well.......I didn't quite make my swim goals today, but I came close enough to be happy.

Run Continued

After having my earlier run cut short due to dangerous downpours and the Caps on ice, I finished this run after evening clinic duties. Nothing too remarkable other than the rain made this evening VERY humid which caused profuse sweating which created a perfect environment for bugs who were flying about and had the great misfortune to come into contact with my sweaty skin to stick to it like glue. Yuck.

6.08 miles in 53:01.67 for an average pace of 8:43 min/mile.

Swim

I had intended on doing 2 x 4k swims today, but I only racked up 3k this morning so my slightly delusional intention was to make up that lost yardage by tacking it on to tonight's swim. Silly girl.

Finished my run, peeled off the wet running duds, slapped on the suit, and hopped into the pool with no real plan. Swam 1k straight and felt good. Decided to switch to the pull buoy, and felt really strong for most of this, but started to fade after about 600 yards. Shortly after that I switched to the kick board, but it was quickly becoming apparent that between the headache that was thumping my head and the decrease in quality of this swim, that it was time to call it a day.

3,000 yards as follows:
    1,000 free
    2 x 400 pull, 200 free
    2 x 400 kick, 200 free

Total for the day:
    Run - 10.23 miles
    Swim - 6,000 yards

Time for dinner....beer....and ice cream. :D

• Advertisement

The Little Black Dress Field Run

Oh yeah...another one of the beauties of running in my own private field is I get to wear whatever I want....and that means if I want to run in a little black dress, then I run in a little black dress. And today I ran in a little black dress....a little black running dress. :D Yep, who knew they made dresses to run in? I didn't until I was looking for running clothes with pockets for the marathon, and I loved this little number with its sleek lines and handy back pocket thinking it'd be perfect for carrying my gels and bloks for 26.2 miles, but due to frigid weather and Raycun advising me not to wear un-tested apparel on race day, the frock didn't make its debut until this afternoon. And I rather quite liked it. ;)

Decided to make this an easy run since I was feeling yesterday's crazy swim/run/swim in energy sucking humidity....and today was just about as hot and humid as yesterday so I took care to stop every 2 miles to take in water. Overall the run was good, was starting to feel zapped on mile 5, but I just relaxed a little more and slowed it down even further to finish in good form.

6.14 very stylish miles in 56:54.92 for an average pace of 9:16 min/mile.

I considered a post-run bike ride and/or swim session, but after assessing my overall physical state, I decided nothing could be gained from doing anything else today. I decided instead there was more value in relaxing this evening and reading my new book, Run Less Run Faster.

Advertisement