Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Thoughts of a twisted version of My Fair Lady are now floating about my head. ;)

The reign of pain falls mainly on the splayin'.

This is still the ART forum right? Oryx could help us, she's mod of the nether regions.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    The reign of pain falls mainly on the splayin'.

This is still the ART forum right? Oryx could help us, she's mod of the nether regions.
    You guys need your very own private forum I reckon. You could call it the Pain Cave. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Swim Session With Hypoxic Work

After an afternoon shower, this evening was rare spectacle of beauty - an 11 on a scale of 10. Clear and sunny with casts of shadows to the west, and dark and brooding with clouds creeping over the mountains to the east. The best of both worlds all on one stage....and how lucky I was tonight to witness it while poolside......and how appropriate to have such a breathtaking view for my lesson in oxygen depravation.

I started out tonight's session with an easy 1k swim and a strong 1k pull in preparation of the quality section of this workout, which was decreasing sets of one breathless/nearly breathless length (20 yards), and one return length easy. I remember doing these in my younger days in both 25 yard and 25 meter pools, and I remember usually having to take one breath per hard length back then.

After a few deep breaths to expand the lungs, and a hard push off the wall, I was off on my first 20 yards....without a breath. :D Success. And it wasn't that hard. Feeling rather chuffed, I relaxed it on the return length, rested for about 20 seconds, then off on my second attempt I went. The second attempt was slightly tougher than my first, and I did take a breath just before I reached the wall. No biggie, I thought as I swam my return 20 yards, it was naturally going to be harder. Third attempt, and I took a breath even sooner than the last time. :( Okay, this would not do, I told myself. Of course each repeat was going to be harder, but that's the point, right? I wasn't digging deep enough or trying hard enough, PLUS, my body position was totally wrong in the water. To be successful at these hypoxic laps, I would need to create as little drag as possible - I would need to be just skimming the surface of the water to eliminate as much resistance as possible. Head up, shoulders up, hips ups, legs and feet up. Check, check, check, check and check. Adjustments in body position and attitude were made, and from that point on, not a breath was taken on any of the remaining 12 hard laps. :cool:

5,000 yards as follows:
    1,000 swim
    1,000 pull
    5 x 20 yards hypoxic, 20 yards easy
    400 pull
    4 x 20 yards hypoxic, 20 yards easy
    320 pull
    3 x 20 yards hypoxic, 20 yards easy
    240 pull
    2 x 20 yards hypoxic, 20 yards easy
    160 pull
    1 x 20 yards hypoxic, 20 yards easy
    80 pull
    3 x (200 kick, 200 swim)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

. To be successful at these hypoxic laps, I would need to create as little drag as possible - I would need to be just skimming the surface of the water to eliminate as much resistance as possible. Head up, shoulders up, hips ups, legs and feet up.

I get to practice this also on a weekly basis :) shotgun junior likes to challenge his dad by standing at one end of the 20m pool and throwing a couple of his dive sticks as far as he can. They generally land a few yards apart and 15m from me. The challenge being to retrieve and return them to him, under water, no breath :D Its harder to swim under water with the sticks in your hand too...

After 2-3 of these I'm done and blue in the face!

How you can do 15 reps is nuts :eek: after a 2k warm up :eek: with a kick set to cool down :eek:

Edit: What was the specific purpose of the hypoxic traning in your swim days?

I get to practice this also on a weekly basis :) shotgun junior likes to challenge his dad by standing at one end of the 20m pool and throwing a couple of his dive sticks as far as he can. They generally land a few yards apart and 15m from me. The challenge being to retrieve and return them to him, under water, no breath :D Its harder to swim under water with the sticks in your hand too...

After 2-3 of these I'm done and blue in the face!

How you can do 15 reps is nuts :eek: after a 2k warm up :eek: with a kick set to cool down :eek:

Edit: What was the specific purpose of the hypoxic traning in your swim days?

From a speedo clad gal's perspective at the time, the hypoxic training was cruel and unusual punishment doled out by the coach for too much dawdling by the swimmers about the pool. ;) But, as you know, it puts you in an anaerobic state, similar I suppose to runinng intervals, so it conditions the body to work more comfortably and efficiently at less oxygen. And working more comfortably and efficiently at less oxygen is very important when swimming shorter distances (200 meters or less) because of breath control. And breath control is important at these distances because the act of taking a breath can slow you down, and when you are in a tight race (especially in a 50 meter free race) that can be the difference in touching the wall first or not. So, in conclusion, these hypoxic drills taught us breath control. :)

And, while I'm walking down memory lane.....I remember most Wednesday afternoon practice's were usually made up of 90 minutes of swimming widths. We called them Widths Wednesdays. They were killer. Lane lines were out (obviously) and you'd get into groups of three swimmers - 2 on one side, and one on the other - and off the first swimmer would go (diving start) and swim to the other side of the pool where the lone awaiting swimmer would dive in relay style and swim to the other side. The first swimmer would then pull themself out of the pool and wait for the arrival of the third swimmer, who would launch into the pool as soon as the second swimmer hit the wall. This would repeat over and over and over again without any breaks, and all diving starts so that meant repeatedly pulling yourself out of the pool, so by the time the session was over, you were wrecked.

• Advertisement

Field Run

The sky was growing dark as I stepped out of the house and into the filed for my run - a storm was brewing, but I gambled it might go around and miss us completely, so on I trudged to begin my evening trot. My legs were feeling my keep-the-body-high-in-the-water-insanely-fast-kick from last night's swim, so I knew neither an interval session nor a tempo run was in the cards, but I felt good enough that this was to be more than just a recovery run. I was thinking along the lines of a LSR, but I knew I'd never get all the miles of a LSR in tonight, so I targeted a pace that was faster than LSR pace and comfortably pushed me. And it was, and it did. But around mile 5, the looming electrical storm descended upon me and forced me to cut the run short....so I finished up the evening spinning away on the trainer. Nice to have options. :)

5.57 miles in 44:19.76 for an average pace of 7:57 min/mile.

Trainer

Quick spin post run......

10 miles of sweating while watching national political news.

Trainer

I had originally intended on a spin on the bike followed by a swim in the pool tonight, but due to Mother Nature sending yet another electrical storm my way, I ended up in the basement spinning and spinning and sweating and sweating while watching sports highlights. I did run upstairs after 15 miles with my glass half full attitude hoping that the storm had passed so I could get my swim in, but it was not to be.

25 miles in approximately 1.5 hours.

Trainer

I had originally intended on a spin on the bike followed by a swim in the pool tonight, but due to Mother Nature sending yet another electrical storm my way, I ended up in the basement spinning and spinning and sweating and sweating while watching sports highlights. I did run upstairs after 15 miles with my glass half full attitude hoping that the storm had passed so I could get my swim in, but it was not to be.

25 miles in approximately 1.5 hours.
    That has to be a description of one of the seven circles of hell. With the sports highlights, I mean.;)

Oryx wrote: »
    That has to be a description of one of the seven circles of hell. With the sports highlights, I mean.;)

Awww....come on now....you must enjoy watching some sort of sport!!??

Awww....come on now....you must enjoy watching some sort of sport!!??
    I think my aversion comes from Sunday afternoons tiptoeing around in my grandads house because you couldnt make a sound for fear of interrupting the sports commentary on the radio. :)

• Advertisement

I think my aversion comes from Sunday afternoons tiptoeing around in my grandads house because you couldnt make a sound for fear of interrupting the sports commentary on the radio. :)

Grandfathers are good at putting all kinds of fear in little kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Swim Session With Hypoxic Work

After an afternoon shower, this evening was rare spectacle of beauty - an 11 on a scale of 10. Clear and sunny with casts of shadows to the west, and dark and brooding with clouds creeping over the mountains to the east. The best of both worlds all on one stage....and how lucky I was tonight to witness it while poolside......and how appropriate to have such a breathtaking view for my lesson in oxygen depravation.

I started out tonight's session with an easy 1k swim and a strong 1k pull in preparation of the quality section of this workout, which was decreasing sets of one breathless/nearly breathless length (20 yards), and one return length easy. I remember doing these in my younger days in both 25 yard and 25 meter pools, and I remember usually having to take one breath per hard length back then.

After a few deep breaths to expand the lungs, and a hard push off the wall, I was off on my first 20 yards....without a breath. :D Success. And it wasn't that hard. Feeling rather chuffed, I relaxed it on the return length, rested for about 20 seconds, then off on my second attempt I went. The second attempt was slightly tougher than my first, and I did take a breath just before I reached the wall. No biggie, I thought as I swam my return 20 yards, it was naturally going to be harder. Third attempt, and I took a breath even sooner than the last time. :( Okay, this would not do, I told myself. Of course each repeat was going to be harder, but that's the point, right? I wasn't digging deep enough or trying hard enough, PLUS, my body position was totally wrong in the water. To be successful at these hypoxic laps, I would need to create as little drag as possible - I would need to be just skimming the surface of the water to eliminate as much resistance as possible. Head up, shoulders up, hips ups, legs and feet up. Check, check, check, check and check. Adjustments in body position and attitude were made, and from that point on, not a breath was taken on any of the remaining 12 hard laps. :cool:

5,000 yards as follows:
    1,000 swim
    1,000 pull
    5 x 20 yards hypoxic, 20 yards easy
    400 pull
    4 x 20 yards hypoxic, 20 yards easy
    320 pull
    3 x 20 yards hypoxic, 20 yards easy
    240 pull
    2 x 20 yards hypoxic, 20 yards easy
    160 pull
    1 x 20 yards hypoxic, 20 yards easy
    80 pull
    3 x (200 kick, 200 swim)

Reminds me of a time when I was capable of doing 75 m f/s without a breath ... although from time to time someone would black out. 90% mental, 10% physical. You should have spared the heating system and built a proper 25 METRE pool ;)

interested wrote: »
    Reminds me of a time when I was capable of doing 75 m f/s without a breath ... although from time to time someone would black out. 90% mental, 10% physical. You should have spared the heating system and built a proper 25 METRE pool ;)

The length of the pool had more to do with the artistic perspective with respect to the scale of the house than cost. I was actually a backstroker, so I never aspired to swimming hypoxic to the point of blacking out. ;)

Chunky Swim Sets

Nothing too, too special about tonight's session....just good chunks of mileage done at a steady pace under a gloomy sky.

Highlights of the swim as follows:
    - The 87 degree water felt grand.
    - My goggles didn't fog up too much, which I assume is connected to the water/air/body temps.
    - Because the hypoxic work a few nights ago reminded me how important body position is in the water, I realized on my 200 free sets how lazy I can get about proper body position, how much slower I go when I'm too low in the water, and why I love to use the pull buoy.
    - A gentle rain started to fall about halfway through this workout creating a canvass of contemporary art on the water's surface.
    - My feet are really white from running in the field in shorts and shoes, especially when looking at them under water.
    - My pool towel is quite plush and absorbent, and when left out in the gentle rain that's creating a work of art on my pool's surface, it acts like a sponge.

5,000 yards as follows:
    2,000 free
    1,000 pull
    4 x 200 free
    600 pull
    3 x 200 assorted strokes

Swim

It's Friday...and it's not unusual for me to take a rest day on Fridays, but because we will be out of town on Sunday celebrating my nephew's graduation, it was a no-brainer to do a swim tonight. It was a short swim, but it was a good swim...and I worked on keeping the stroke/kick/body position technically correct, and made sure I maxed out the stroke. Arm revolution was slow, but it was strong. At 89 degrees, the water temp was a little warm.... can you believe I'm saying that? Note to self: pick up several large bags of ice on the way home from work tomorrow to dump in the pool. ;)

Basic session.....but it's Friday and I really had no interest in thinking too hard.

3,000 yards as follows:
    400 each swim, pull, kick, pull, swim
    200 each swim, pull, kick, pull, swim

Proper Bike Ride

This session had a lot going on.....from deer and black bears (momma and two cubs!) hanging out on the side of road....to passing two groups of cyclists (and not being passed - yay!)....to really attacking the hills (at least that was my impression of what I was doing).....to experimenting with scrunching down on the bike on the downhills to become aerodynamic...to actually taking one hand off the handlebars a few times (without even thinking about it!).....to experiencing what it feels like to draft....this session was chock full of good stuff!

Did the usual routine - met hubby on the mountain and headed out on Skyline Drive. I had eaten a good solid breakfast and was fueled up properly to really give this some effort, especially on the hills....and I think I was stronger on the hills (for my girlie strength) today than I have been. What I need to do to see if I actually was stronger on the hills today is load my Garmin info on the computer and compare, but I don't have a computer at home so I'll have to wait and remember to do that at work. But on the hills, I just muscled my way through most of them, reducing it down in my mind to a simple up and down motion with my legs, leaning my weight into it right and left. It sort of felt like pushing weights in the gym, and lord knows I am way stronger in my legs than in my arms so I have no excuse not to be able to do this thing.

We typically cycle two out and backs.....and the outs have steeper climbs and gentler descents than the backs, which I like because the hardest work is done first. After our first out today, hubby pedaled along side of me and told me he wanted me to draft off him so I could feel the difference in effort. It was sort of subtle to me at first, but then I realized that on the long drags I was using way less energy than I had previously used on those same drags. Wow. It was like I was getting a rest while still moving at a good speed. I also liked being behind someone because it gave me a target in times when I fell behind - I pushed to catch up to get back to that lovely drafting spot on his rear wheel because I knew the extra effort getting there would be rewarded. I drafted off him on both backs, while he drafted off me (ha!) on both outs.

I still have so much to work on, but I am now pretty comfortable on the bike (even with traffic buzzing by) and feel like I am progressing at a good clip. I have some goals in mind to accomplish over the next few weeks and months regarding my progress on the bike, and I will try to tick them off one at a time. Today's Garmin stats are much improved over the previous weeks', but I know it's mainly due to me drafting off hubby...however, I will try and compare the non-drafting splits as soon as I load the data on the computer. Edit: I just realized I could pull up "laps" on the watch, so I compared the first 7 non-drafting miles - this week to last week - and I was only 38 seconds faster this week than last week for those 7 miles. :( It's something, but not much when you consider that 38 second improvement is spread over 7 miles. Just shows how much drafting assists the cyclist!

Oh, and here's something fun...there is a stand set up along the road in one spot that displays your speed as you pass. Obviously it's intended to keep the vehicles from speeding, but hubby and I both had to try and gun it to see how high we could get our speed up. I was a measley 21 mph while hubby was 27 mph. :)

Garmin data:
    25.4 miles in 1:22:29 with an average speed of 18.5 mph and top speed of 30.3 mph.

Oh, and the current temp here is 90 degrees with 60% humidity and a heat index of 93 degrees. And I'm getting ready to go run. It will be a slow run or I'll melt in the field.

6 Ugly Miles in a 90 Degree Field Under a Sweltering Sun

It was hot.
    It was humid.
    I wanted to call it quits after 2 miles but decided to slow it down and keep going.
    I took in plenty of water over these 6 miles.
    Other than the big black snake that I had to practically hurdle because he was sunning himself in my path, the field was totally quiet and lacked evidence that any living creatures actually inhabit it.
    I sweated. A lot.
    And wilted a bit as the miles went on - 9:16, 9:11, 9:23, 9:30, 10:00, 9:43 min/mile.
    But this is what I do in the summer - run in the hot sun. Slowly.

6.21 miles in 59:00.01 for an average pace of 9:30 min/mile.

A swim tonight is in order. :)

Swim

2,000 yards of just swimming freestyle in my 89 degree pool. After such a scorcher today, the evening turned out to be quite lovely. :)

Another trifecta for the day. I think that's three Saturday's in a row now.....yay!

Long S-L-O-W Field Run

Current field weather: 90 degrees with 50% humidity and a heat index of 95. Not a cloud in the sky so the sun was in full broil mode, however, the slight breeze that was blowing about kept me from noticing if I was overcooking or not.

Today is a holiday in the States, so it was like a Sunday for me work-wise which meant I could get in a long run today. Originally I had thought about doing a proper LSR at proper paces early in the morning before I had to be at the clinic at 8:30, but we were out of town yesterday to celebrate my nephew's graduation and didn't return home until late, and there was no way I was getting up before the crack of dawn to run 12 miles after travel with not enough sleep. So, plan B was to sleep in, go to work, then do 12 miles in the sun in my field. Slowly.

I packed up my cooler with water and ice packs and trudged out to the field. It was 11:00, and it wasn't totally awful out there yet. It was early enough in the day that there were still some shaded areas along the field that gave me a break from the sun as I passed through them, and the breeze really did help to keep me a few degrees cooler. I stopped for water every 2 miles, tossed back some jelly beans at 4 miles, and didn't really start to hate life until after 10 miles, which, at that point, I really had to negotiate with myself to get to my goal of 12 miles.

I went slow, but I went as fast as I comfortably could without making myself sick. I did get slightly dizzy around mile 11 and stopped for a minute or two to re-group. I decided that perhaps I should call it quits so I started walking back to my cooler thinking that I was done....but then I started to feel better and clicked the Garmin back on and huffed it back to my cooler. Thinking I was now done for the day, I looked at my Garmin and realized I only had to go another .4 miles to make my 12 mile goal...and it would have been a sin to be so close and not do those 4 tenths...so off I trudged like an idiot to finish the day in wilting but stubborn style.

I forgot to turn the Garmin on at the start of my run, so the watch data omitted approximately .3 miles.....but here it is....

11.8 miles (+ .3 = 12.1 miles!!) in 1:51:22 for an average pace of 9:27 min/mile.

Short Swim

Just a nice swim as the sun was setting in my 90 degree pool. :eek: Yup, 90 freakin' degrees! :eek: Okay, so I love warmth....but I gotta tell you, a 90 degree pool is reaching my outer limits of refreshing, especially when I'm swimming laps. I had the garden hose pumping in cold water while I was swimming, and, like the patches of shade in my earlier sunny field run today, I thoroughly appreciated the cooler current as I passed through it.

I opted for a short swim session tonight because I am aware of how much running in the sun can take out of me and I felt to go much further would have resulted in crap miles plus unnecessary fatigue for what I hope to be a quality swim tomorrow night. Today was about the run, tomorrow is about the swim. :)

2,000 yards in boring fashion:
    400 each of swim, pull, kick, pull, swim

• Advertisement

Trainer

Ugly electrical storm here tonight, so my swim went out the window....had to play the hand I was dealt and that meant a session in the basement spinning on the trainer.

Good session, actually. I don't know if it was because of the gear selection tonight or if it was because I've gotten some time on the road, but the spinning felt really good and smooth and I was able to keep the bulk of my time in the saddle between 17 and 19 mph.

20 miles in approximately 1:15

Swim Session

Stunning evening. Last night's storms left our valley with slightly cooler temperatures, clear skies, and a more comfortable pool to swim in. :) Did this session while the sun was slowly making its descent - the days are obviously getting longer and longer.

Highlights:
    - The first 2,000 swim was a bit sluggish and I had to stop several times because my goggles kept fogging up on me. :mad: Hate that. Sometimes they behave themselves and don't fog the entire swim, and other times they constantly want to fog. :confused:
    - I did my spiffy pull/kick set that I love. And why do I love that spiffy set? I love that spiffy set because I get to pull at a distance that ensures high quality, and then at just the right time (for me) I get to transition immediately into a strong kick while giving my arms a rest....and then at just the right time (for me) I get to transition back into a high quality pull while giving my legs a break....and so on and so on....
    - I did my modified IM (free, breast, one-arm butterfly, breast, free) with heavy arms from all that pulling. I tried one lap of full fledged butterfly and, because of those heavy arms, compromised and did them one arm one lap/the other arm the next lap.

6,000 yards as follows:
    2,000 free
    10 x (120 pull, 80 kick)
    2 x 400 modified IM
    4 x 200 modified IM
    400 assorted strokes cool down

If I'm signing up for the local tri, I need to get off my duff and do it. I'm leaning towards the sprint distance due to my inferior ability on the bike plus all the bloody hills we have here. I'm sure I could get the international distance done, but in what fashion is my worry. Just thinking out loud....

If I'm signing up for the local tri, I need to get off my duff and do it. I'm leaning towards the sprint distance due to my inferior ability on the bike plus all the bloody hills we have here. I'm sure I could get the international distance done, but in what fashion is my worry. Just thinking out loud....
    You are top hoochie of the sbr chart. Just do the longer distance. You dont have inferior ability, period.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

You are top hoochie of the sbr chart. Just do the longer distance. You dont have inferior ability, period.

I'd have to agree with this. You cycle 40km as a cool down after a run, just use it as a warm up this time. Maybe get someone to drive in-front of you with a TV in the back window showing the sports news to keep you going.

All top hoochie on the chart means is that I have no kids so I have a bit more time to spend in my runners, on my bike, or in my Speedo. I think we can all agree the real top tri hoochie is the one doing the Iron Man. Period.

If I do the longer distance....then should I sign up for both days and do the shorter distance the next day? Or is that a totally ridiculous idea?

I'd have to agree with this. You cycle 40km as a cool down after a run, just use it as a warm up this time. Maybe get someone to drive in-front of you with a TV in the back window showing the sports news to keep you going.

It's 41km....on god awful hills....but I lovelovelove the sports news idea!!! Brilliant!!! :D

All top hoochie on the chart means is that I have no kids so I have a bit more time to spend in my runners, on my bike, or in my Speedo. I think we can all agree the real top tri hoochie is the one doing the Iron Man. Period.
    I've heard anything over a 12 hour IM isnt respectable anyway. ;) We both think the other is wonderful, lol. Lets hug. :p
    If I do the longer distance....then should I sign up for both days and do the shorter distance the next day? Or is that a totally rediculous idea?
    You really are an all or nothing gal. I love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

If I do the longer distance....then should I sign up for both days and do the shorter distance the next day? Or is that a totally rediculous idea?

Its a ridiculous idea.

I'm doing exactly that this weekend.

• Advertisement

Its a ridiculous idea.

I'm doing exactly that this weekend.

I know you are!!! I actually had been mulling over this idea myself, and then when I read that you were doing both it gave it a bit more credibility...I think. ;) Maybe I should wait and see how it goes for you before I decide.....

Advertisement