Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Sunset Trainer Session

Because this week has been the "educating Dory in the wiles of post marathon recovery week", I knew I would be pelted with great advice and astute observations if I dared lace up the runners and go for an evening trot around the field. :( But, I could not bare to trudge down to my basement and spin on the trainer when the evening was so perfect - mild temperature, slight breeze, sun setting over the mountains - so, I dragged my trainer outside and had the best of both worlds! Brilliant!! Tunes on, warmth of the sun on my face, Massanutten Mountain in full view, moderately low intensity spinning going on....pure heaven. (I have a pic to share when I get to my computer to post.)

Okay...a few of you folks may raise your eyebrows at the mileage, but I swear I went easy....and this is less than I normally would have done, so there's that. Bike is going into the shop tomorrow for a tune-up to get it road ready for this weekend....so that means I will run tomorrow and probably Thursday, but I will shorten the runs to a slow 6ish miles, and Friday will be a rest day.

25 miles in just over 1.5 hours.

And I've made a decision....I will not be running the marathon I was thinking of running 4 1/2 weeks from now. The motivation was to bring my time down for my own satisfaction, and to qualify for Boston in the first early wave instead of the second wave that I've already qualified for. The race is 5 hours away, and it's just not worth it. As I mentioned in an earlier post, if I don't get into Boston, then I'm probably doing Connemara. I'm also looking at NY City Marathon (anyone else doing it?) and maybe Disney (I'd want to do the Goofy - half marathon one day, full marathon the next). And then there's the triathlons....but let me get my pool open (next week) and my bike on the road (this weekend) before I start talking about those....... :)

The view from my trainer last night....sun setting on the Massanutten Mountain....breeze blowing.....lovely. Wait til my pool is open, OMG...I will certainly be in heaven then. Guests are always welcome. :)

2012-04-17_19-26-09_610.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Belated congrats on the marathon. 1st in AG is fantastic !

Sorry about the cup thing. Plastics cups - ugghhh. Not sure there is anything you can do about that.

Treadie Session

Rain, rain, rain. Cold and rainy, so it was an indoor session on the revolving artificial landscape perched in front of the telly with Stanley Cup hockey on. Pittsburgh vs. Philadelphia - these guys really don't like each other, and I am being kind.

Still in recovery mode, so I went easy. Body really is feeling good, but I still need a focus, a goal. I'm making plans to be in Ireland in July, so some of my goals and focus will be affected by that trip.

9 miles in 90 minutes for a 10 min/mile pace.

I threw my name in the lottery hat for the NY City marathon today. Because of their entry requirements, I had to use my last year's half marathon time to enter, and that time is 1 minute slower than their guaranteed entry time for my age and gender. :mad: So.....because of the crappy odds, I probably won't make it into the race. I think I will find out next week.

Oh....and I should go green tomorrow in the run category in the SBR Challenge. Woo hoo!!!!! :DNot that going green is important to me or anything.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Dory Dory wrote: »
    The view from my trainer last night....sun setting on the Massanutten Mountain....breeze blowing.....lovely. Wait til my pool is open, OMG...I will certainly be in heaven then. Guests are always welcome. :)

Wow! Id put up a photo of my back yard only all that can be seen is a wall about 1 foot away! Oh to live in the countryside!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Just catching up on your escapades DD - cracking report and congrats on a great race!

What's next?

Izoard wrote: »
    Just catching up on your escapades DD - cracking report and congrats on a great race!

What's next?

Hey Izoard!! I hope Mickey and Minnie treated you right while you were on holiday here in the States.

Next...ugh! Of course I immediately was hell-bent on finding a runner-friendly marathon course to run (not the crazy-arse one I did) to get that time down to a place that I think better reflects where I am...but...after about 10 days of that swimming in my head I've decided to not worry about another marathon until the fall.

So...up next is supposed to be a 5k this weekend that my heart is not into....then probably the Achill Half Marathon....and then perhaps the Galway tri (!!!!???).....then a local tri in August....and then maybe a real meaty tri (Savage Man, maybe??) in September....but I'm in limbo with training.....still in post-marathon recovery, but need a game plan training-wise. If anyone has a good plan they can shoot over to me, I'd be more than grateful. Bike is now road-ready...pool opens a week from today.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Hey Izoard!! I hope Mickey and Minnie treated you right while you were on holiday here in the States.

Next...ugh! Of course I immediately was hell-bent on finding a runner-friendly marathon course to run (not the crazy-arse one I did) to get that time down to a place that I think better reflects where I am...but...after about 10 days of that swimming in my head I've decided to not worry about another marathon until the fall.

So...up next is supposed to be a 5k this weekend that my heart is not into....then probably the Achill Half Marathon....and then perhaps the Galway tri (!!!!???).....then a local tri in August....and then maybe a real meaty tri (Savage Man, maybe??) in September....but I'm in limbo with training.....still in post-marathon recovery, but need a game plan training-wise. If anyone has a good plan they can shoot over to me, I'd be more than grateful. Bike is now road-ready...pool opens a week from today.....

Had a blast in Florida - 14 days in the theme parks, need to lie down for a while :)

I'm kind of in the same boat as yourself - nothing committed until September, so I'm log-stalking at the moment, looking for motivation..

Looking forward to see how you get on at the tri stuff!

Izoard wrote: »
    Had a blast in Florida - 14 days in the theme parks, need to lie down for a while :)

I'm kind of in the same boat as yourself - nothing committed until September, so I'm log-stalking at the moment, looking for motivation..

Looking forward to see how you get on at the tri stuff!

I'm curious too about the tri stuff. I suck at cycling, but can hold my own in the swim and do okay in the run. I'm not sure I want to make my tri debut in Galway, though.....on a strange bike on the wrong side of the road!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

on a strange bike on the wrong side of the road!! :eek:

Just try and follow my wheels Dory, shouldn't be too long after the swim before you are eating my dirt :D

Its actually making its seasonal debut this weekend, nephew's first triathlon and I am certainly not giving him the Pussywagon. He had a long look at the pedals with shoes attached and the tri bars, he gave nothing away to his uncle but I am assuming he doesn't even know what clip ons are, so hes in for a harsh lesson.

He should go well though, one of these sickening lads that's good at everything he throws his hands to.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I'm curious too about the tri stuff. I suck at cycling, but can hold my own in the swim and do okay in the run. I'm not sure I want to make my tri debut in Galway, though.....on a strange bike on the wrong side of the road!! :eek:
    I suck at all of it and I've done races on the wrong side of the road, on cobblestones. :p Give it a shot, youll fly, like you always do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

I'm delighted to see your recovery is going so well, with views like that from your trainer I can see why you're happy to while away some time on there:)
    I'm also looking at NY City Marathon (anyone else doing it?) :)

I am:D and Mr Stew has also entered the lottery so I'll be keeping fingers and toes crossed for you both for good news next week

catweazle wrote: »
    Just try and follow my wheels Dory, shouldn't be too long after the swim before you are eating my dirt :D

Its actually making its seasonal debut this weekend, nephew's first triathlon and I am certainly not giving him the Pussywagon. He had a long look at the pedals with shoes attached and the tri bars, he gave nothing away to his uncle but I am assuming he doesn't even know what clip ons are, so hes in for a harsh lesson.

He should go well though, one of these sickening lads that's good at everything he throws his hands to.

Shall we place bets on where you catch me?

You tell your dear nephew to not damage my sweet ride. ;)

Oryx wrote: »
    I suck at all of it and I've done races on the wrong side of the road, on cobblestones. :p Give it a shot, youll fly, like you always do!

Oh hush, Ms. Fit-Physique-With-A-Math-Score-To-Prove-It!! :)
    Marthastew wrote: »
    I'm delighted to see your recovery is going so well, with views like that from your trainer I can see why you're happy to while away some time on there:)

I am:D and Mr Stew has also entered the lottery so I'll be keeping fingers and toes crossed for you both for good news next week

Way cool!! And congrats to you!! Definitely keep those fingers and toes crossed, odds are Mr. Stew and I will need it!! I actually considered applying as an Irish citizen thinking that maybe I'd have a better chance, but in the end I stuck with my good old red, white, and blue citizenship.

Field Run

Yet another easy and terribly enjoyable post-marathon-without-plan run for me. I let the contours of the field work in harmony with the music in my head to dictate the varying paces. Lovely. Practically effortless when I let exterior forces move me forward.

The live version of Times Like These was playing as I finished my run and was walking up the driveway to my house creating an awesome mood....and the sun had set just enough to dim the evening sky to create a unique sense of urgent energy....and I was pleasantly aware of the tangible nature of the breeze that was blowing on my face....and it all felt quite surreal. Or perhaps it was just the endorphins. Whatever it was, I could mainline it every night. ;)

8.15 miles in 1:13:43 for an average pace of 9:02.

This hoochiemama went green in the SBR run tonight. Woo hoo. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

With views like that be careful for what you wish for. You will have the full SBR crew plotting a training week with you next year :)

With views like that be careful for what you wish for. You will have the full SBR crew plotting a training week with you next year :)

That would be a total blast!!! Plenty of room....and we have mountains and Skyline Drive to ride and run in (road or trail)....and a two lane, 20 yard pool to swim in....and, if the pool is too small for your liking, we have a local lake where our tri swim is done each year. Oh, and only 2 hours from D.C. Here's a summer evening view from the pool...:D

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

20 yard pool to swim in....

Tunney has some good sources :D

Beautiful pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

That would be a total blast!!! Plenty of room....and we have mountains and Skyline Drive to ride and run in (road or trail)....and a two lane, 20 yard pool to swim in....and, if the pool is too small for your liking, we have a local lake where our tri swim is done each year. Oh, and only 2 hours from D.C. Here's a summer evening view from the pool...:D

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

OK I'm booking flights - you should set up a training camp

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    OK I'm booking flights - you should set up a training camp

Oh...I am so in!! seriously!!! Plus, you and I need to work on that post-marathon reverse recovery book!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

we have a local lake

I read that as "We have local Cake" and I was sold on the idea. :D

• Advertisement

Earth Day 5k

This was the second annual Earth Day race down at our Greenway. The race benefits local organizations, is organized by friends of mine, and I usually help in some small capacity - like lining the path with other adults to make sure no youngins wander off course picking daisies or taking a dip in the bubbling stream during the kids 1k run.

My heart was not into doing this very informal race, but because of the nature of this event, and because I was expected to participate in it by my friends, I did. I believe Krusty even warned me against doing it, not sure if that was because of the physical nature of it or the emotional nature of it coming off a marathon, but I definitely had no desire to sprint for three miles, and, even though I did my PB by 49 seconds, I didn't exactly dig like I probably could have. In fact, on the second mile when it was obvious that I was going to win the ladies division (okay, so our little town is not exactly known for its elite athletes) I just relaxed it down a smidge to make myself a little more comfortable, especially since I didn't warm up at all prior to the gun sounding. Note to self: don't do a 5k without warming up. The body protests too much blasting off cold.

As an example of how "not into" this race I was, I didn't even turn my Garmin on until we had less than a minute until the start (usually I have that baby ready to go way in advance), and then it didn't pick up satellites until I was into my first mile. One good thing came out if this race though, I officially ran my first mile in under 7 minutes - 6:58.88 woo hoo. Mile two effort was down a notch (7:29), then mile three effort was back up just a little (7:18). I hate sprints....give me a 10 plus mile run any day, but sprinting just sucks.

Official time was 22:26, average pace was 7:14 for 3.1 miles. (Prior PB from last October was 23:15.)

Now off for a relaxing field trot after I grab a bite to eat. :)

Field Trot

Well, the bite to eat ended up being chocolate and jelly beans and crackers with butter on them. Then I took a nap as the cats requested my company for a quickie siesta. THEN, it was a short post-5k-race jog around the filed. Thought about doing 6 miles, but settled on 4 miles because I was low on energy (with my crap diet, I wonder why!!?? :eek:).....oh, and the Caps were just getting ready to hit the ice for game 5 of their series with Boston. The puck was being dropped as I walked in the door. Perfect timing. :)

4.1 miles in 39:03 for an average pace of 9:32.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Field Trot

Well, the bite to eat ended up being chocolate and jelly beans and crackers with butter on them. Then I took a nap as the cats requested my company for a quickie siesta. THEN, it was a short post-5k-race jog around the filed. Thought about doing 6 miles, but settled on 4 miles because I was low on energy (with my crap diet, I wonder why!!?? :eek:).....oh, and the Caps were just getting ready to hit the ice for game 5 of their series with Boston. The puck was being dropped as I walked in the door. Perfect timing. :)

4.1 miles in 39:03 for an average pace of 9:32.

I went to see a fight once and a hockey game broke out :D;)

Trainer

The plan today was to take the bike out for its first road ride of the year, but with rain pouring down all day long, back on the trainer it went. :(

Good session, however....huge sweat-fest with good effort. I started out fairly easy and increased the push as the miles passed by. As my thighs were burning and my forehead dripping, I wondered if this session would have been easier on the road. It's been so long since I've had a proper road session, I can't even remember what kind of average speed I can go. (Slow, no doubt...but slower than the trainer?? :confused:)

Caps playing in game 6 with the Bruins as I type this - hello drquirky! We're up one game in the series, but the game is tied at the moment with the Bruins on a power play. Boo hiss!! If we win tonight, we're on to the next series. If we lose tonight, off to Boston for game 7.

25 miles in approximately 1.5 hours.

Game 7 here we come. :mad:

Brick Session

Now wouldn't you just know with my pool opening scheduled for Thursday, old man winter decides to give it one last hurrah! :mad: Snow on the mountains and freezing rain here in the valley, so this session was done in the comfort of my basement.

Trainer

With this being my weakest discipline, I am really trying to up the effort with quality spins. I started out relatively easy to warmup, then upped the push around mile 3. Kept the intensity on the upward climb, then really went for the primo burn with three miles to go. Felt good overall, and based on the amount of panting and sweating I had going on, I believe I achieved the quality I was looking for.

20 miles in approximately 1 hour and 5 minutes.

Treadmill

My goal with the run was to get 30 minutes done off the trainer and not worry about pace. Quads felt good, but calves were tight pretty much throughout the session. I will be doing more of these brick sessions - they break up the monotony and reduce the chunk of each discipline down to something that is so psychologically easy to grasp. Plus, I need to get the body used to switching grears without much/any recovery.

3.21 miles in 30 minutes

Trainer-Treadmill Mash-Up

In my quest to keep things interesting for me in this period of limbo, and because the local weather was not outdoor-training-friendly tonight, I decided to do a little of this and a little of that in the comfy environment known as my basement. In other words, I did a sort of trainer-pyramid treadmill-recovery hybrid session as follows:

5 miles trainer, 1 mile run, 4 miles trainer, 1 mile run, 3 miles trainer, 1 mile run, 2 miles trainer, 1 mile run, 1 mile trainer.

I really liked this session and felt it had great value in that the short intervals of bike mileage allowed me to really push it, and it allowed me to push it on an increasing scale as the sets shortened.....and the 1 mile runs allowed me to recover and shake the legs and body out. Because the focus of this session was more about the bike and less about the run, I kept the run at an easy pace - and at 10 min/mile pace, it was lovely.

Total 15 miles on the trainer in probably about 55 minutes.....and 4 miles on the treadmill in 40 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

^^^^

For what its worth this is the type of session I find works really well during the final week of taper for either IM or HIM.

I'm a little concerned at this "the weather is a little inclement so Im not training outside" attitude. Especially since your visit to Achill Island and the West coast this summer looms so prominently. As El D would say 'Dory needs to apply herself to outdoor training, must try harder'.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Dory type set up on the turbo here. About to hop on and I have your beloved caps v boston for some entertainment. Tied at 3-3 at the back half of the 3rd... crowd going nuts

• Advertisement

interested wrote: »
    ^^^^

For what its worth this is the type of session I find works really well during the final week of taper for either IM or HIM.

I'm a little concerned at this "the weather is a little inclement so Im not training outside" attitude. Especially since your visit to Achill Island and the West coast this summer looms so prominently. As El D would say 'Dory needs to apply herself to outdoor training, must try harder'.

;)

With me in El D's sights in the SBR Challenge, I'm not sure that's what he'd be saying. ;)

I really did enjoy this session - had never done one like this before. I can, however, feel it in my legs today, but in a good way. :)

Dory type set up on the turbo here. About to hop on and I have your beloved caps v boston for some entertainment. Tied at 3-3 at the back half of the 3rd... crowd going nuts

I guess you know how it ends. :( Game 7 is tonight. It's do or die time.

Advertisement