Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I'm in the midst of planning a trip to your fine country in July and am wondering if there are any places anyone recommends to stay at in either the Clifden or Westport areas...and also in the Wicklow area? Opposite sides, I know, but we are going to try to hit both coasts this time around. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Dory Dory wrote: »

I guess you know how it ends.
    /QUOTE]

That is right- another playoff victory for the city of champions....

drquirky...I guess we'll know in a few hours. Will you be up?? Watching live? No matter what....it's been a hard fought series. GO CAPS, GO CAPS!!! UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDjJ2GJSGXY

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I live in Wicklow Town - PM me the type of accomodation you are looking for and I can make some recos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

I'm in the midst of planning a trip to your fine country in July and am wondering if there are any places anyone recommends to stay at in either the Clifden or Westport areas...and also in the Wicklow area? Opposite sides, I know, but we are going to try to hit both coasts this time around. :)

Wicklow.... I know a place that isn't cheap, but is very high on the quality side...

www.brooklodge.com

The breakfast alone is worth it... grilled fresh fish of the day, home made brown bread toasted, smoothies to beat the band, yogurt, fresh fruit...
    And fry ups for the fatties too :D
    Basically it's in the middle of nowhere, is high on organic and fresh and the restaurant is award winning etc.
    Only flaw - the pool is about 12 metres long.. tried to do laps... lost the will to live :D

Nonetheless I highly recommend this place, especially if making the trip over and only here a short time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Can't help for the west, but in Wicklow, http://www.glenmalurelodge.ie/ is ground zero if you fancy running a few trails in a beautiful area. Good craic in the bar at night time, very popular with tourists and locals, pre booking essential. No public transport though.

Any of the guesthouses and hotel in laragh, around glendalough, would offer a bit more tourist traffic, loads of great trails, plenty of historical sights to see, and good fun at night. St. Kevin's bus service from Dublin is the only public transport.

Fazz wrote: »
    Wicklow.... I know a place that isn't cheap, but is very high on the quality side...

www.brooklodge.com

The breakfast alone is worth it... grilled fresh fish of the day, home made brown bread toasted, smoothies to beat the band, yogurt, fresh fruit...
    And fry ups for the fatties too :D
    Basically it's in the middle of nowhere, is high on organic and fresh and the restaurant is award winning etc.
    Only flaw - the pool is about 12 metres long.. tried to do laps... lost the will to live :D

Nonetheless I highly recommend this place, especially if making the trip over and only here a short time.

Good call Fazz, this is a great place if you want to treat yourself, best restaurant in Wicklow. Highly recommended! (and some nice forest running routes closely)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

If the budget is stretchy, this place is freaking fantastic: Ballynahinch Castle. It's in recess, which is approximately 7 miles from Clifden. On the other end of the scale, we stayed in the Buttermilk Lodge in Clifden (Bed and Breakfast),which was clean, reasonable and a decent breakfast. Another superb spot in the area is the fishing village of Roundstone. Even if you decide not to stay there, it's worth travelling to O'Dowds bar, to while away a few hours in the bar, by the fire, with a few pints of Guinness and plates of fresh local seafood.

Thanks, guys, for the info.

Regarding Wicklow - both places look awesome, but the food raves may lean us to Brooke Lodge...but am waiting to hear back from BeepBeep as well.

Krusty - we stayed at Ballynahinch last year and it was tops. When I inquired about accomodation there for two nights earlier today, they could only provide us with one night (thus the Clifden/Westport inquiry), but since I posted here on the boards, I have heard that they can put us up for two nights...so...I'm thinking we may do that...but will keep your other suggestions in mind.

And....there may be a running/drinking hybrid challenge ala dpop being organized while we are in Wicklow...so....the more the merrier....details to come if anyone is interested. (July 9 or July 10 we are looking at...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

And....there may be a running/drinking hybrid challenge ala dpop being organized while we are in Wicklow...so....the more the merrier....details to come if anyone is interested. (July 9 or July 10 we are looking at...)

Count myself and CL in for that! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great stuff. If You're organising a Beer Mile, count me in :D

I'm sure some of the lads with contcts could orgaise for us to use greystones track :pac:

Field Run

After a few days of crap weather, tonight was such a welcome change. Caps are playing game 7 tonight (on as I type!), so tonight's run was cut short by the looming drop of the puck.

Oops...I interrupt this post to scream... SCORE!!! Woo hoo! Caps up 1-0.

Okay....run.....felt fantastic. Best I've felt since the marathon, so I allowed myself to relax and open it just a bit more than I have been. I've been keeping my runs at or above 9 min/mile, but tonight I gave my legs the green light to dip in the sub 9 zone...and I wished that I didn't have to call it quits when I did....but alas, there will be other evenings I can leap and frolic in my field. Splits as follows: 8:53, 9:00, 8:39, 8:18.

4.14 miles in 36:06 for an average pace of 8:43 min/mile.

Treadmill

Because my boys were hashing it out on ice, I opted to finish my evening on the treadmill....but this was a bust when, 4 plus miles into it, I felt very, very dizzy. I hopped off the bike and laid down on the floor, then realized that I was really hungry, and that I basically didn't eat today. Work was full of stress for me today, and when I'm stressed I usually forget to eat.

So today was a slacker day...:(.....hate that! But I'm getting ready to make up for my forgotten calories with a good dinner.....and tomorrow will be another day. In fact, tomorrow will be another day complete with my pool opening. Yay!

5.07 miles in not a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Let me know when you are staying in Ballynahinch Castle, I am hoping the rich uncle will be giving me his apartment in the grounds for some training weekends, will see if I can time it although understandably I will be completely at his convenience (and Mrs C's) as regards going out there. The lake is a lovely swim as you can swim right around the old jail island there although I will pack the flippers in the car to keep up with you

In Westport - Knockranny is the best hotel up there IMO

catweazle wrote: »
    Let me know when you are staying in Ballynahinch Castle, I am hoping the rich uncle will be giving me his apartment in the grounds for some training weekends, will see if I can time it although understandably I will be completely at his convenience (and Mrs C's) as regards going out there. The lake is a lovely swim as you can swim right around the old jail island there although I will pack the flippers in the car to keep up with you

In Westport - Knockranny is the best hotel up there IMO

We are to be at Ballynahinch Castle on 7/4 and 7/5 (Wed and Thurs - leave Fri) then to Achill (half marathon on 7/7)....so, if you can sneak away during the week for a swim session with me in the lake, let me know!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

We are to be at Ballynahinch Castle on 7/4 and 7/5 (Wed and Thurs - leave Fri) then to Achill (half marathon on 7/7)....so, if you can sneak away during the week for a swim session with me in the lake, let me know!! :)
    Lucky you! Love that place. Will look forward to pints and running (in that order?) in Wicklow during the summer. There is an IMRA race on 11th July in the neighborhood, if you're still around (Ballinastoe).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Lucky you! Love that place. Will look forward to pints and running (in that order?) in Wicklow during the summer. There is an IMRA race on 11th July in the neighborhood, if you're still around (Ballinastoe).

I'm usually fine with running followed by pints but I've never tried it the other way round so what could possibly go wrong:D:D?

Looking forward to your visit DD. You know the 40 Foot is only up the road from Wicklow.... I'm sure with the promise of 80 year old nudie men:eek: it'll be hard to keep you away

You know, I would absolutely lovelovelove to do an IMRA race, but we are to fly out that day. :(

And the order of drinking and running will be up to the majority. We really should come up with a fun "event" (lots of creative people here)...and perhaps it should have it's own event thread - or maybe we can take over dpop's thread since he is supposed to have a hand in this. On a track or in the hills or at a pub, it's all good to me!
    Marthastew wrote: »
    I'm usually fine with running followed by pints but I've never tried it the other way round so what could possibly go wrong:D:D?

Looking forward to your visit DD. You know the 40 Foot is only up the road from Wicklow.... I'm sure with the promise of 80 year old nudie men:eek: it'll be hard to keep you away

Hmmmm.....I wonder if these 80 year old men have any good looking grandsons who might want to, um, hang with gramps in the sea? ;)

You know, I would absolutely lovelovelove to do an IMRA race, but we are to fly out that day. :(

And the order of drinking and running will be up to the majority. We really should come up with a fun "event" (lots of creative people here)...and perhaps it should have it's own event thread - or maybe we can take over dpop's thread since he is supposed to have a hand in this. On a track or in the hills or at a pub, it's all good to me!

Hmmmm.....I wonder if these 80 year old men have any good looking grandsons who might want to, um, hang with gramps in the sea? ;)
    Once you decide on where you're staying, something along the lines of the old British "vale, dale, & ale" can be organised, a hill race that incorporates a pint at some stage between start and finish. But, if you're going to be in Wicklow, certainly the hills rather than the track. Pub is a given.

Yoga

This was my first yoga class since the marathon, and boy did I need it!! I do highly recommend yoga to all who are out there as I find the stretching, isolated strength and core work so beneficial to both my physical and psychological being.

Today's class was quite small (just me, the instructor, and the instructor's wife), but because it was just the three of us, we did some new, crazy moves that had my legs shaking in no time. And I am so surprised that my lower abdominals are still sore from the marathon. I had originally noticed they were sore after my very first 20 mile run (really?) months ago, and they would remind me in subtle fashion that they had been given a good workout after other long or particularly hard runs, but I really haven't done anything too terribly strenuous since the marathon almost 3 weeks ago, thus my surprise today during the core work that they are still making themselves known.

Any whoooo.....I did not get into the NY City marathon :( so I am signing up for the Scranton, PA marathon on October 7th instead. In terms of a PB, Scranton will probably be kinder to me than NY in that there are no more than 3,000 runners and it's a lovely looking course in terms of elevation. Whoop-whoop! I will most definitely want to follow a training plan for this, so I'm wondering if I should use the one I just completed or find a new plan. Thoughts, anyone??

Oh....and my pool is being opened as I type. So excited!!!! :D

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Once you decide on where you're staying, something along the lines of the old British "vale, dale, & ale" can be organised, a hill race that incorporates a pint at some stage between start and finish. But, if you're going to be in Wicklow, certainly the hills rather than the track. Pub is a given.

Your British "bale, dale & ale" is exactly what dpop suggested!! Sounds like a total blast to me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Your British "bale, dale & ale" is exactly what dpop suggested!! Sounds like a total blast to me!

Isn't that a coincidence;)
    Kurt and D'pop do seem to have a lot in common.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Isn't that a coincidence;)
    Kurt and D'pop do seem to have a lot in common.

Then Kurt must be absolutely charming. ;)

Ye Old Field Run

Gorgeous evening....butter cup carpeted field......bunnies dotting the landscape....black kitty on the prowl.....and an aggravated ground hog who seemed disgusted at my constant presence in his space. Hello, who pays the real estate taxes???? Ahhhhh, just another day in the life of 7 Charles Avenue.

I had grand ambitions of repeating the amazing feeling of last night's short field run, but between staying up too late last night watching the Caps eliminate the Bruins, and 90 minutes of "death yoga" this morning, the only thing I felt was less than amazing. Legs tired. It wasn't a bad run by any means, and as long as I could convince myself that it was okay to go 9:30 min/mile all things considered (including the fact that running in a grassy, uneven field is slower than running on asphalt IMO) I felt good about it, but the mind starts to wonder and worry if the body will ever be able to go a sub 8 min/training mile again. :eek:

6.15 miles in 57:03.27 for an average pace of 9:16 min/mile.

Pool is up and running thank the lord and I've got the heater cranking....but the water temp is a nippy 62 degrees right now, so it will be a few days before I bless the pool with my best cannon ball in Interested's honor. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Hi Dory Dory, im only now catching up with your thread and all i can say is wow....you have some great race reports there(i read them all) and as for your maiden voyage into marathon running that was some first marathon. Congratulation on the wonderful achievement and a fantastic report.

Looks like you'll be having one hell of a party on your visit here so enjoy and keep up the great work and keep the wonderful reports coming!!!:D

Younganne wrote: »
    Hi Dory Dory, im only now catching up with your thread and all i can say is wow....you have some great race reports there(i read them all) and as for your maiden voyage into marathon running that was some first marathon. Congratulation on the wonderful achievement and a fantastic report.

Looks like you'll be having one hell of a party on your visit here so enjoy and keep up the great work and keep the wonderful reports coming!!!:D

Hey! Thanks for your kind words...and if we can get this running/drinking multi-cultural party off the ground, I hope you can boogie on down and join in the fun! I see that Meath is not THAT far away. :)

And it's official....I have signed up for the Scranton marathon on October 7th (glad I did as their registration has filled up since all us losers found out we didn't make it into the NY city marathon ;)) and the Achill half on July 7th. Woo hoo!! Still need to make some triathlon commitments. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

have signed up for the Scranton marathon on October 7th

NY can be on next yrs list....That's great news, so your marathon training will be 3 weeks ahead of us all training for Dublin, so we can copy your training;)...but i'm nowhere near your level so might just have to read and enjoy the reports instead!!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ellie_sun

Was just stopping by to check on NY, the whole lottery thing sucks! I bet you'll qualify for it next year ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Still need to make some triathlon commitments. :o
    Ahem, yes you really do, Miss 7th-in-the-sbr-challenge-rankings. :)

Thoughts on what tri youll do? (and what distance!)

Oryx wrote: »
    Ahem, yes you really do, Miss 7th-in-the-sbr-challenge-rankings. :)

Thoughts on what tri youll do? (and what distance!)

I think it's actually 8th, with you right behind me. ;)

As far as triathlons...still considering Galway, BUT, family on Achill may alter that option - still up in the air. We have a local triathlon in August that I will more than likely do - home field advantage and all. It's a two day event - olympic distance the first day and sprint the next. The event is very popular and sells out (also very HILLY on the bike :eek:). On the challenge I stated that I would do an olympic distance, so I guess that's what I should do....but for some reason I'm having a mental block about this that doesn't make sense. I mean, I'm more than game to try my hand at an ultra running event - sign me up today in fact - but I'm waffling on a tri. I'm hoping that once I start swimming again and finally get the bike on the road (hubby said we'd go this Sunday for a road spin), I'll be chomping at the bit to do this thing. (Also wondering if it's residual post marathon blues??) And unless I totally fail on the bike (which could happen) I should do okay at one of these. However, pacing myself on the swim will be hard.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

All that consternation about failing is just a mental block. Unless your legs fall off completely youd get round an oly tri. Hell, youd get around a half iron tomorrow, its just you wouldnt believe me telling you that. You already swim well, and run well, youve been bike training solidly, and you know can do the overall time on your feet. Everything else is just nerves.

I panic like a headless chicken before each tri, dont get me wrong. But I still LOVE them, theyre varied and interesting, and even if you suck at one discipline you console yourself that there'll be another one along in a minute and youll catch up. ;)

Advertisement