Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gibraltar - British or Spanish?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

It belongs to the monkeys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

realies wrote: »
    Explain please, just asking :)

Logical answer is British, as the OP proves (the two surveys). So the answer should be British, however the Brit haters of the country must have their say no matter what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

This vote will be predictable.

All the usual Brit haters will vote Spanish (you could put outer mongolian or British and they would vote outer mongolian tbh) and everyone else will vote British.

All the usual Brit lovers will vote British (you could put outer mongolian or British and they would not vote outer mongolian tbh) and everyone else will vote Spanish.

Generalisations on people who disagree with you are great!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

All the usual Brit haters will vote Spanish (you could put outer mongolian or British and they would vote outer mongolian tbh) and everyone else will vote British.
    Of course it's Outer Mongolian (just kidding, I voted British):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Logical answer is British, as the OP proves (the two surveys). So the answer should be British, however the Brit haters of the country must have their say no matter what.

Maybe some other posters have read this and did not find the logical answer logical ?

The territorial claim was formally reasserted by the Spanish dictator Francisco Franco in the 1960s and has been continued by successive Spanish governments. They have insisted that the Gibraltar dispute is a purely bilateral matter and that the current Gibraltarians are mere settlers whose role and will are irrelevant. This principle appears to have been reflected in the United Nations resolutions on the decolonisation of Gibraltar in the 1960s, which focused on the "interests" and not the "wishes" of the Gibraltarians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Dimithy wrote: »
    You seem to have a strange fascination with british islands located off the coast of other countries.
    psychward wrote: »
    Spanish but they probably don't deserve to get it back. All Franco or whoever had to do was shell it relentlessly for as long as it takes from the mainland where supplies of ammo would be plentiful.
    I have been there many a time and when crossing back into mainland spain it was always spanish police/customs who were holding people up with there checks and not a smile out of any of them,This was back in the early 90,s maybe it has changed ?
    So a load of Spaniards come and settle of an island off England and claim it as Spanish? No they can't, so a bit like the Falklands, only the Brits who would so arrogant to claim little pieces thousands of miles from their shore as their own.
    Jimoslimos wrote: »
    I assume there is no great interest from mainland Spainards to live there, but on the other hand there isn't a great interest from mainland Brits to relocate also. I certainly don't see the people as 'Spanish' but they're about as British as say the Australians are - just the Aussies are a little more comfortable about moving away from the idea of being a colonial outpost.
    So Gibraltar is an island??

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Should make it Spanish and then add Portugal in, makes far more sense!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Its Irish... obviously!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

vektarman wrote: »

No and I never said it was. It's apart of the mainland right down the bottom of Spain nearly touching Africa.

My question was can a load of Spaniards jump in a boat settle into an island and claim it as Spain because then a majority there want to be Spanish and not British. I asked a question, I never said Gibraltar was an island, learn to read before you try and be a smartass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

OK smart arse, island is an easier term to write/roll off the tongue than penninsula. But yes, technically correct - the best kind of correct!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

No and I never said it was. It's apart of the mainland right down the bottom of Spain nearly touching Africa.

My question was can a load of Spaniards jump in a boat settle into an island and claim it as Spain because then a majority there want to be Spanish and not British. I asked a question, I never said Gibraltar was an island, learn to read before you try and be a smartass.
    I'm not sure but I think I read somewhere that they have actually tried this in the past . . . .

Pretty successful too :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

I meant the main part of Spain . Gibraltar is a political island.

Anyway I've been there so I know it's a peninsula. I got off a bus from Malaga wearing my Dubs jersey circa 2002. Apart from a few apes and some caves there wasn't much else to see. I walked into some auction where wheeler dealers were selling cheap crap and one of them with a wideboy cockney accent said racist stuff about Ireland on his microphone based upon my jersey. Not a nice place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I'm not sure but I think I read somewhere that they have actually tried this in the past . . . .

Pretty successful too :pac:

They initially tried it in 1588 and ended up coming second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

When did Ireland or Irish carv up the world ?

The British Empire was won by the Irish, administered by the Scots & Welsh, and lost by the English.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

mattjack wrote: »
    Though I wonder are they Spanish or British apes ?

They are alcoholics... true! And thieves.. also true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

They initially tried it in 1588 and ended up coming second.
    I was referring to the conquistadors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

So a load of Spaniards come and settle of an island off England and claim it as Spanish? No they can't, so a bit like the Falklands, only the Brits who would so arrogant to claim little pieces thousands of miles from their shore as their own.

FFS, out of all examples you had to bring into it the Falklands is most definately British. Argentina has no claim over it whatsoever, Argentina didn't even exist when the islands were first settled.

Ah yes and all those French/German/Belgian/Italian/American/Portugese/Dutch/Swedish/Greek/Turkish/Russian colonies are irrelevant yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭raymann

FFS, out of all examples you had to bring into it the Falklands is most definately British. Argentina has no claim over it whatsoever, Argentina didn't even exist when the islands were first settled.

Ah yes and all those French/German/Belgian/Italian/American/Portugese/Dutch/Swedish/Greek/Turkish/Russian colonies are irrelevant yeah?

the spanish have two examples themselves just a few miles away in morocco. i think the people there know what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

raymann wrote: »
    the spanish have two examples themselves just a few miles away in morocco. i think the people there know what they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Its British. Loved the little ice-cream robbing monkeys on it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Isnt there a main road right through the runway of the airport where the lights go red when a plane is landing!

Sounds like Fianna fail planning right there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

That Cueta place is amazing, why are they all wearing winter gear in North Africa? ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Isnt there a main road right through the runway of the airport where the lights go red when a plane is landing!

Sounds like Fianna fail planning right there!

Yup you have to drive over the runway to get to it. Its pretty cool up on top of the rock. Great view.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tiger55

dulpit wrote: »
    British.

Self-determination ftw.

Indeed, about 97% of the people want to remain part of the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Cyprus - Turkish or Greek?

raymann wrote: »

True indeed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melilla

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceuta

Ceuta is right opposite to Gibraltar.

Cyprus - Turkish or Greek?

Dublin - Irish or Viking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

tiger55 wrote: »
    Dublin - Irish or Viking?

Ice Cream - Ben or Jerrys?

• Advertisement

The Falklands were empty when the UK discovered them...

Advertisement