Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gibraltar - British or Spanish?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

geographically spanish but if they want to be british let them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

mattjack wrote: »
    Though I wonder are they Spanish or British apes ?

Maybe spaish :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

soterpisc wrote: »
    YAWN................slow day in boards.ie when a Poll in Gibraltar appears on boards.ie Seems like the Sinn Fein mcGuiness Campaign team have time on their hands now!.

less of that sot of thing:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

Are Ceuta and Melilla Spanish or Moroccan?

Spanish run Moroccan territory, the only reason that would convince me to think about leaving things the way they are.. Imagine Spain having total control over access to the Med sea, bad idea with the PP on the way back to power.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Is there free movement of peoples between Spain and Gibraltar as there is with Spain and the UK (and all other EU states)? If so what's stopping a few hundred thousand Spainards flooding the border.

If not they can't truly call themselves British since they're not subject to the same immigration and border control laws. A la carte Britishness methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Is there free movement of peoples between Spain and Gibraltar as there is with Spain and the UK (and all other EU states)? If so what's stopping a few hundred thousand Spainards flooding the border.

If not they can't truly call themselves British since they're not subject to the same immigration and border control laws. A la carte Britishness methinks.

You need your passport to enter, customs are pretty strict there as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Gibraltar is as British as Brighton rock, and it will remain British until the majority of people living there wish otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭lorrim

There is border control with passport checks by both spanish and gibraltarian police.

I work in gib, live in la linea- it ain't as bad as previous posts are making out.

La Linea doesn't have the social problems it had in the past, the new mayor is making a good attempt to solve the disasters left by the previous idiot

The border has been open since 1985

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

lorrim wrote: »
    There is border control with passport checks by both spanish and gibraltarian police.

I work in gib, live in la linea- it ain't as bad as previous posts are making out.

La Linea doesn't have the social problems it had in the past, the new mayor is making a good attempt to solve the disasters left by the previous idiot

Now you just ruined a perfectly good thread, by telling the truth.

LordSutch wrote: »
    Gibraltar is as British as Brighton rock, and it will remain British until the majority of people living there wish otherwise.
    It's British because thousands of people from the UK settled there - if thousands of people from Spain decided to upsticks and move there why shouldn't it be Spanish. My question is why shouldn't they have that right since many British people have no restictions on settling in Spain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

lorrim wrote: »

It must have cleaned up a lot in the last two years then because it was a pretty horrific place

I have been there many a time and when crossing back into mainland spain it was always spanish police/customs who were holding people up with there checks and not a smile out of any of them,This was back in the early 90,s maybe it has changed ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

So a load of Spaniards come and settle of an island off England and claim it as Spanish? No they can't, so a bit like the Falklands, only the Brits who would so arrogant to claim little pieces thousands of miles from their shore as their own.

It's British because thousands of people from the UK settled there - if thousands of people from Spain decided to upsticks and move there why shouldn't it be Spanish. My question is why shouldn't they have that right since many British people have no restictions on settling in Spain?

How do you know they haven't got the right? What makes you think that the average Spaniard is just dying to cross the border and buy a flat?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It can be whatever it wants...but whatever it is, it was a very stange place when I went there about 10 years ago.

mike65 wrote: »
    How do you know they haven't got the right? What makes you think that the average Spaniard is just dying to cross the border and buy a flat?
    I assume there is no great interest from mainland Spainards to live there, but on the other hand there isn't a great interest from mainland Brits to relocate also. I certainly don't see the people as 'Spanish' but they're about as British as say the Australians are - just the Aussies are a little more comfortable about moving away from the idea of being a colonial outpost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Well as you should know, this has all been bashed out over centuries, with the Spanish, Portuguese, British/Irish, French & Dutch carving up underdeveloped countries all over the Globe! take the Canaries (Spanish) for example which lay off the coast of Morocco, or the Dutch East Indies, or the Falkland islands, The Philippines (former Spanish colony), Angola in Africa was a Portuguise colony until 1975. What about French Guiana?

There are so many examples all over the globe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

British. All the people who live there are happy with the status quo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Spanish, stolen from Spain. Resettled with the help of like minded British people to keep it British. Sounds familiar like NI.

Well as you should know, this has all been bashed out over centuries, with the Spanish, Portuguese, British/Irish, French & Dutch carving up underdeveloped countries all over the Globe! take the Canaries (Spanish) for example which lay off the coast of Morocco, or the Dutch East Indies, or the Falkland islands, The Philippines (former Spanish colony), Angola in Africa was a Portuguise colony until 1975. What about French Guiana?

When did Ireland or Irish carv up the world ?

I assume there is no great interest from mainland Spainards to live there, but on the other hand there isn't a great interest from mainland Brits to relocate also. I certainly don't see the people as 'Spanish' but they're about as British as say the Australians are - just the Aussies are a little more comfortable about moving away from the idea of being a colonial outpost.

That's fair enough - they are Gilbratarian. The ethnic make up of the population is interesting. 27% names British, 20% name Italian, 10% names Portuguese, French, Indian, Jews, Maltese, Andalusian Spanish (the de-facto language)

Indeed, one of the defining factors of the ones that remain are that they are all very small in size/population - thereby requiring a protectorate state for survival. Calling themselves 'British' is only a way of asserting that they're not Spanish - to me they're no more British than Americans (US), Canadians, Aussies or Kiwis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

So a load of Spaniards come and settle of an island off England and claim it as Spanish? No they can't, so a bit like the Falklands, only the Brits who would so arrogant to claim little pieces thousands of miles from their shore as their own.

Yeah, cause the Spanish, French, Dutch and Portuguese would never do that would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Its Spanish.

Indeed, one of the defining factors of the ones that remain are that they are all very small in size/population - thereby requiring a protectorate state for survival. Calling themselves 'British' is only a way of asserting that they're not Spanish - to me they're no more British than Americans (US), Canadians, Aussies or Kiwis.

They are what they think they are, like Norn Iron Unionists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

50% of the poll for Spanish. Sometimes this country annoys me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

This vote will be predictable.

All the usual Brit haters will vote Spanish (you could put outer mongolian or British and they would vote outer mongolian tbh) and everyone else will vote British.

• Advertisement

50% of the poll for Spanish. Sometimes this country annoys me.

Explain please, just asking :)

Advertisement