Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish people and time keeping...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

kfallon wrote: »
    As a matter of interest is there ever a story about UPC that has a happy ending???

When I got my appointment for a Sat between 9 - 1 - he rang & told me he'd be there at 10AM

Sorted - I haz a happy camper

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

noworries wrote: »
    where you from dude,,,
    I keep reading your posts in a mad russian accent for some reason or like the count from Sesame Street.
    Biedronka is polish for Ladybug. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

policarp wrote: »

certainly wasn't happy

i have yet to meet a happy smiley polish person

*generalise.com*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

hondasam wrote: »
    what are you saying here? :confused:

I'm saying that saying essentially 'If you don't like it you can leave' to a foreigner is rude, and I was alluding to the possibility that if one has a problem with one aspect of a country or culture, it doesn't mean one disapproves of the whole thing. Much like Profitius's statement about how gullible we all are in another thread, but you didn't feel bothered to tell someone to leave the country until you were sure the person you were talking to was foreign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Biedronka

billybudd wrote: »
    Its people and not nationality.

You are right, but the about people who are very late here is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

He came back the next day,and was really nice and fixed as much as he could. Happy enough for ya?
    Sooopie wrote: »
    When I got my appointment for a Sat between 9 - 1 - he rang & told me he'd be there at 10AM

Sorted - I haz a happy camper

My faith in humanity has been restored :D

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Ha ya like when theres a party on at 9, no one arrives til 10ish anyway. We can't even be punctual when we want to be somewhere.

Johro wrote: »
    I'm from Holland and if a tradesman is late for an appointment he can expect a fairly frosty reception. It's pretty common here alright for people to be late, or not turn up at all, I've kinda got used to it now. One guy asked me 'what day suits you?', I said 'any day but thursday', and he turned up on thursday while I was out. :rolleyes:
    I think a lot of people say they'll be out to ya when they know they might not make it coz they don't want to turn down work. It would probably be fairer to people if instead of saying 'sure, I'll be there first thing tomorrow', for them to say 'sorry but I'm up to my eyes at the moment, it'll have to be next week', and then keep the appointment.

Heeheehee.....you said 'tradesman' :pac:

policarp wrote: »

-ehhm, its ladybird :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

kfallon wrote: »
    :D
    Yup. You were right to pull me up on that one. Apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭binxeo

This drives me mad also. If I say a time I mean a time. What annoys me even more about people being late is them not having the decency to text or call to let you know they will be late. I was looking after a child for a few weeks to help out a friend and I was told these are my hours I will be dropping of picking up the child at these times.....in the 6wks I was looking after the kid the parents never pick him up on time once. They would be up to 40mins late in the evening and when I would try to ring the phones would ring out. It is just so inconsiderate, I was providing a service not to mention doing them a favour and got such little respect in return. I won't do it ever again.

@OP. I totally get where you are coming from. People just don't care, even if you are paying them for their time. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

Funny I see this today. I was only talking to a friend about her landlord that never turns up when he says he will an in fact often doesnt turn up at all. Same issued with the heating guys.
    Were both Irish. And hate that. What's wrong with being pissed that you have to stay home and take a pay-hit day off work to be home in HOPES they'll turn up when they say they will?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

kfallon wrote:
    :D
    Yup. You were right to pull me up on that one. Apologies.
    Am i missing something here? :confused:

binxeo wrote: »

@OP. I totally get where you are coming from. People just don't care, even if you are paying them for their time. :mad:

-and if they won't change their attitude they wil ever get out of recession!

Seriously, maybe I was just unlucky with people lately, but I am just mad at this stage. One guy was supposed to fix the gas boiler and he told me he will come on Tuesday at 5. He came at 5.40 and said he won't be able to fix this that day, so we agreed he will come at the same time next day.
    He never came on Wednsday, but on Saturday moring at 9am and was ringing the bell like crazy when I came back home at 2 the night before!
    Didn;t let him him, that was a joke!
    Locksmith came 1.20h late - the same story, said its too late to do the job and told me he will come next day at 7. He called me at 7.20 and said his kid is sick, so he is not coming. Ridiculous!

Landlords are just the whole different story and I will not even start on this.. :/

ps: I know there is probably MANY decent irish repairman who are always on time, but I wasn't lucky to meet eve one unfortunately.
    When I called polish electrician , he wasn't even one minute late and he did job in 20 minutes and cleaned after.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The unemployment figure wouldn't be as high if the job-hunters arrived for interviews before the interviewers went home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

binxeo wrote: »
    This drives me mad also. If I say a time I mean a time. What annoys me even more about people being late is them not having the decency to text or call to let you know they will be late.
    Then when they do call up to explain or arrive (if at all ) they make it sound like they are doing you a favour ...when it's only what they were supposed to be doing anyway . I hear ya and it is pretty inconsiderate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Its worst with the public transport. Bus supposed to arrive at 9:15, doesn't arrive until 9:45. Train supposed to arrive at 17:20, arrives at 17:35.
    Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I was in a team meeting a few last years where the team leader was going around to everyone doing the whole your not doing this right or what not.

Time keeping was as big issue at the time.... maura was late 9 times last month (if you logged in at 9:01 it was considered a "late")

Team leader: "Maura you had 9 lates last month. how come this keeps happen and what do you think you can do to prevent this happening again?"

Maura: "to be honest i have accepted that I am the type of person who is always going to be late and i think you will just have to accept that the way i am"

Team leader left speechless ...priceless......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Would you rather the plumber/electrician/whatever leave your house with the job unfinished because he has another job scheduled? Or wiould you rather him finish the job and be a bit late to his next job?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Not really. I was being sarcastic. I should've used :rolleyes: rather than :D.
    I don't get it either, other than maybe the poster inferring there's no such thing as a 'tradesman' in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Bowlardo wrote: »

Team leader: "Maura you had 9 lates last month. how come this keeps happen and what do you think you can do to prevent this happening again?"

Maura: "to be honest i have accepted that I am the type of person who is always going to be late and i think you will just have to accept that the way i am"

Well whatever about her timekeeping ....it's funny as fook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Bowlardo wrote: »

I love this, mangers never acknowledge when workers are early,

al28283 wrote: »
    Would you rather the plumber/electrician/whatever leave your house with the job unfinished because he has another job scheduled? Or wiould you rather him finish the job and be a bit late to his next job?

I don't care, he should plan his day well and use his head, or if unable - call and apologize and they never do that! They just sound like they are doing you a favour!

Biedronka wrote: »
    So, why is this so difficult for most of you? It really drives me crazy -almost every single person I make appointment with is not on time!
    People who provide any kind of service and coming to my house, to fix something etc -I try to make appointment with them and I hear -
    between 4-6.. WHAT>??? Are you kiding?I am not going to sit all afternoon and wait for you -forget!
    This happens all over again
    -with delivery man, plumbers, electricians, babysitter.
    I thought its recesion and people should really care about their customers, but no -they just dont care, there are busy, they alway have exuse!
    From now on I will not let in anybody who is over 5 minutes late, thats it. :mad:

you living in Poland or Ireland ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

To be fair I don't have a problem with an hour late. But 2/3/4 hours late and no shows are taking the piss. At least ring and rearrange things. It doesn't just sedm like a relaxed cultural attitude. It seems unprofessionally lazy and unmannerly.

I knew a guy (technician) that often fecked off home after 1 job (so he'd be home by 1-2) leaving other customers on his schedule to go swing. He'd tell the employer that he was held up on the first job plus traffic etc. He got away with that for some time (not anymore)
    I don't think all techs and servicemen are like that - I've met nice ones - but it's scary how common that sort of carry on is. Making jobs drag on (we've all heard of painters etc that turn up after 10, have tea, throw some tools about and then disappear by 2)

Its important to note there are decent ones out there. We had an eircom tech most recently. He was good. Punctual and speedy. Thing is it's the individual rather than the company (even though the truth of the matter is the individual is representing the company)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

I don't care, he should plan his day well and use his head, or if unable - call and apologize and they never do that! They just sound like they are doing you a favour!
    They are doing you a favour. They are accepting your money in exchange for their services. Anyway putting all that aside I think you have a very bad attitude. The world does not work the way you want it to and everyone does not plan their day around you. Most people learn this at the 8-12 age but for soem reason you don't seem to have.

hondasam wrote: »
    you living in Poland or Ireland ?

In Poland, but there is so many Irish people here already, they just keep coming but they are all late. :rolleyes:

They are doing you a favour. They are accepting your money in exchange for their services.

Accepting my money.. :D

Not really. I was being sarcastic. I should've used :rolleyes: rather than :D.
    I don't get it either, other than maybe the poster inferring there's no such thing as a 'tradesman' in Ireland.

Ye both need to get a dirtier mindset ;)

• Advertisement

In Poland, but there is so many Irish people here already, they just keep coming but they are all late. :rolleyes:

You are complaining about the Irish who are working in Poland.why not get a Polish worker then, problem solved.

Advertisement