Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elvis goes Up & Over

Options
  • 29-12-2012 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

Well its time for a new log with this new challenge. As some of you may know i've come up with the crazy idea of an 11 day ultra triathlon for for in Aug 2013. Myself with two others ( including our own couerdelion ) will

1. Swim 7.6k on day one
    2. Cycle Mizen to Malin head over 5 days - almost 800k including public cycle
    3. Run Oranmore to Dublin over 5 days - almost 250k

So this is my whole season really. I have a lot of slow, hard training ahead of me. I've met with some experts and will be having the Vo2 max test, metabolic testing, body fat % etc. This will help me train in the right fat burning zone to get my weight down and build fitness.

Its going to be all about hrs on the feet and in the saddle, building slowing and having my training periods building towards Aug.

Along the way there will be B races just to break up the training and allow some fun while still adding to the training.

So tomorrow the training begins with Jan really about getting miles back in the legs, hrs on the turbo and building distance once again in the pool.

I'm breaking my training into two month periods from then on.

Feb - March
    April - May
    June - July

And then the taper begins in Aug for the 5am on the 22nd.

I know to a lot of people what i'm doing sounds like madness and with the weight to get down as well i must be crazy BUT life is short and it will all be worth it when i cross that finish line in Dublin on Sept 1.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

And so at 7:30 this morning i laced up my runners for the 1st of what is going be many, many runs on route to the old POD on Sept 1st.

There was actually a lot of fear as i haven't run in weeks due to work etc. But i got through it, a very slow 5k but its 5k closer to my ultimate goal of crossing the end line in Dublin on Sept 31st.

As i've said all my training will be heart rate based from now on so i've removed pace from the front of my Garmin and replaced it with the HR.

I'm starting a food and training diary where i'll keep record of all i eat and what HR is during specific sessions.

Turbo in the morning before work and a run tomorrow evening.

Vo2 test on Sat morning so from then on training will be tailored and focused when matched with the results.

I meant to add that one of the barriers to my training has always been my dj work which has made long weekend sessions very difficult so its taking a back seat until the end of Sept this yr.

I'll honour booking that i have already in but not working Fri and Sat nights will allow me to be in bed early, up early and do those all important weekend long workouts.

It will be tough of the pocket but this challenge is more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Nice one, best of luck with this journey! Get thee to the SBR challenge too and put a cat amongst the pigeons:D

Nice one, best of luck with this journey! Get thee to the SBR challenge too and put a cat amongst the pigeons:D

Ah it will be 8 to 12 weeks before i'm up to full training but i know i have 1050k in total to add in Aug. I can't calculate diatance on the turbo until i hook up the gadgets to the bike !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

+1, good luck with the training and the epic adventure

• Advertisement

+1, good luck with the training and the epic adventure

Thanks for that !

Another thing to mention is that for the 1st time i am keeping a food diary warts and all. Along with the training i have to get the weight down as running 5+ marathon distances in 5 days is one thing BUT doing it when carrying 4 stone extra is a little bit extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Wow now that's a goal!! Best of luck Elvis. I'm looking forward to reading about the training that goes into an event like that. Fair play to you.

Slow slow slow 5k run. The plan is to build the distance in Jan, slowly creep up the distance each week so that i'm hitting 50k a week by the end of the month. That will be with 4 runs a week and we'll add a 5th for Feb and March.

Its about time on the feet and hitting a specific HR, i'll have that info on Sat !

This evening was very slow and relaxed i could do 10k at that pace every day with no bother which is what i'm aiming for closer to the event, 4x10 and two longer runs so by the end of June i'll be up to running 6 times a week and then add 3 or 4 swims, 4 cycles and the numbers start to stack up.

Lunch time swim session and the 1st of the year, my new job will allow me to swim roughly 2k at lunch when i'm up to full speed.

1650m today, tough at the start but i focused and it got easier as i work on making sure to kick.

Plan for the swim is to do 3 to 4 sessions a week 2x2 and 2 longer sessions.

By the end of Jan i want to be at 3k as my long.

Feb 4k
    March 5k
    April 6k
    May 6.5k
    June 7k
    July 7.5k

I'll add a little each month and build to that magic 7.6k.

I hope to have other longer swim building to 4k as the months get closer to August.

That would mean a rough weekly swim total from May onwards of about 14k and i'll drop that from the end of July !

• Advertisement

VO2 Max test this morning at http://www.leinstersportsclinic.ie and the results aren't as bad as i feared.

My weight is 105 KG and thee ideal weight is 85 to 92kg

My body fat is 29%, what i need to work towards is 13% to 19%

My fat weight is 30.4kg, what i need to work towards is 12kg to 17kg

My lean weight is 74.6k and ideal for me is 72kg to 77kg

I was told that i was like any athlete who comes back after the off season in the condition i'm in ( ok i have more fat ) with good lean muscle mass and just needing to work on getting the body fat level down. Keep the muscle mass, drop the fat ( belly ) and at the same time gain fitness.

My VO2 number is 40 which is average, i don't mind that as i haven't done much in 10 weeks or so. This number will raise as my fitness builds, my fat drops and when i hit 36 in March thats actually above average:D

My max heart rate was 168 BPM

Now the important bit, how to drop this weight with targeted training.

The best heart rate for me to loss weight is different for cycling and running.

For cycling i have to work in the range 116 to 126 BPM
    For running i have to work in the range 126 to 136 BPM.

These may seem low but as fitness builds the pace at which i'll be able to work out at will increase.

Overall the information is really good and will help me build fitness and drop weight by targeting my workouts. I'll be back in March for another test and we'll see how the numbers change and if talking a scientific slant to my training will benefit me !

After my test this morning i hit the pool for a nice slow session 1450 in total with a few 200m sets with the pull buoy in there just to mix it up.

Nice session and good to get in the water and be able to swim 1500 to 2000 in jan as its all new to me.

Run tomorrow, it might be short as i want to focus on the heart rate mentioned above and start as i mean to go on.

There's a watch this week in Aldi with a pulse reader so i might get that to keep an eye on my heart rate in the pool as i swim.

Today Elvis rested !

I have a roughly 28 days in a row coming up so i relaxed today with the kids and watched some NFL.

If you want to keep up with all going on with Up and Over like this page if your on FB http://www.facebook.com/UpAndOverUltraTriathlon?ref=hl

I have my weeks plan done out and its roughly 10 sessions that should add up to 10 to 12 hrs which is a solid starting week to my training.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Hi Elvis, how did you find the test? Also how was max HR test done? I am thinking of doing the same. Good starting point for year ahead. Thanks in advance.

Hi Elvis, how did you find the test? Also how was max HR test done? I am thinking of doing the same. Good starting point for year ahead. Thanks in advance.

I found the test really helpful.

They put you on a static bike with the pipe measuring your air coming out. Yoy keep the RPM at about 75 and they could the resistance bit by bit over about 15 min they increase it until you flatline at you max ( well that was how it was for me )

The guy who did it is a fully qualified sport scientist and has done a number of Iron man distance races so really knows his stuff, he currently coaching a few guys for Nice this year ( he's done that race twice himself )

He made a great point in that people spend thousands on bikes, wetsuits etc but do nothing proper to tune the engine running all that.

Go to the site and pop him a mail, just say the guys from Up & Over sent you.

I'd honestly advise anyone to get these tests done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I found the test really helpful.

They put you on a static bike with the pipe measuring your air coming out. Yoy keep the RPM at about 75 and they could the resistance bit by bit over about 15 min they increase it until you flatline at you max ( well that was how it was for me )

The guy who did it is a fully qualified sport scientist and has done a number of Iron man distance races so really knows his stuff, he currently coaching a few guys for Nice this year ( he's done that race twice himself )

He made a great point in that people spend thousands on bikes, wetsuits etc but do nothing proper to tune the engine running all that.

Go to the site and pop him a mail, just say the guys from Up & Over sent you.

I'd honestly advise anyone to get these tests done.

Just to add - cadence is at whatever you feel comfortable. Normally on a road spin i'm at around 90. During the test 82 felt more comfortable so that was the rpm I stuck to.

It feels restrictive breathing with the mask/pipe on your face but you do get used to it.

There's a few people doing VO2 tests out here but only a few of them know the science behind it and even fewer can apply it to swim/bike/run. It definitely places a good focus on your training.

My week is going to go Monday to Sunday and each Monday i hope to put up my weekly totals here and then monthly at the start of each month.

Well last week was only a bit of a week with the new year and all and fingers crossed will be the lowest we see until at least Sept.

Swim - 3.2k
    Run - 10k
    Cycle - 15 min VO2 test

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Thank you for response Elvis and Couerdelion. I had test done a few years ago and it was done on treadmill and suffice it to say the thought of it still makes me feel sick. This sounds good so will give it ago and let you know how it works out.

Elvis best of luck with your training, great to know where you are starting from, improvements all the way:).[/FONT]

Swim at lunch today and i did 1700m, i have roughly 50 min to swim on my lunch and my aim is to build my lunch swim to 2k.

If i can be at that at the end of Jan i'll be a happy chappy.

For the majority of the swim my HR was about 118 but rose to 130 as i pushed it towards the end of the session.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Swim at lunch today and i did 1700m, i have roughly 50 min to swim on my lunch and my aim is to build my lunch swim to 2k.

If i can be at that at the end of Jan i'll be a happy chappy.

For the majority of the swim my HR was about 118 but rose to 130 as i pushed it towards the end of the session.

Did you get the aldi watch? How does it compare to a Garmin HR reading?

• Advertisement

hardCopy wrote: »
    Did you get the aldi watch? How does it compare to a Garmin HR reading?

I did and its very close to the garmin, 2 BPM out. I've only used it once but it seems ok for 20 quid ! I'll know more after a week of using it.

My first run done to HR this evening and it was slooooooooooooooow and i mean sloooooooooooooow. I kept to what i was told to do and hit an average of 132 BPM ( have to go between 126 and 136 )

It was the slowest i've ever "ran" 5k and it was very boring, but i have to take a long term view and train as i've been told. The way i look at it is that as my fitness gets better my pace will increase at the same BPM !

Swim at lunch and it was a pull buoy sesssion.

I use this sessions to improve my stroke, rest my legs and i'm trying to stsrt breathing every 4 strokes instead of 2.

Overall a good session, 2km in total with 95% of that with 4 stroke breathing and long smooth strokes.

I feel my swimming is coming along and imagine this time two years ago i couldn't do a length in that pool. In the last 2 days i've done 200:D

Turbo this evening to HR so should be fun/fustrating !!!!

Well its over my first turbo session working within a specific HR range. I was told to go between 116 and 126 and that i did, average of 123 BPM. I dropped down the gears and got the legs turning while i watched season 2 of The Walking Dead.

I didn't want to over do it and only did a 40 min session. Legs left good at the end of it and working to that BPM range was actually easier than the running !

Run tomorrow evening !

My food log is a hard thing to write but i am doing it warts and all ! Its tough to write when you eat rubbish but it has to be done so i can see week to week what i am doing and how diet each week/month is working for me.

Only one session today as i have two meetings for Up & Over but a session is a session !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

My food log is a hard thing to write but i am doing it warts and all ! Its tough to write when you eat rubbish but it has to be done so i can see week to week what i am doing and how diet each week/month is working for me.

Only one session today as i have two meetings for Up & Over but a session is a session !

Have you tried MyFitnessPal? I find it brilliant, the barcode scanner is really reliable. You just install the app on your phone and scan everything you eat. You can build recipes for homecooked meals and then just log a portion to your diary whenever you eat it.

I've used an app like that in the past and its worked well but with my new job i don't have my phone during the day and only see it from 5pm onwards so its hard to get everything into it.

This year i'm going with the old paper version and we'll see how that goes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭joey100

How's it going elvis? Seen over in the swimming forum you were looking for some info about nose clips. I don't use them for swimming but a lot of the lads I used to kayak with used them. They tended to stay away from swimming ones, used ones like this ->http://www.i-canoe.com/Helmets/Head-wear/Smiley%27s+Noseplugs.html. They would wear them down the rivers we paddled so sometimes up to 2/3 hours so reckon they could be comfortable.

Seems to be a bit softer on the nose and a bit more 'adjustable' from what they said. The metal bridge is fairly manoeuvrable. Bit more expensive too but if it works!

joey100 wrote: »
    How's it going elvis? Seen over in the swimming forum you were looking for some info about nose clips. I don't use them for swimming but a lot of the lads I used to kayak with used them. They tended to stay away from swimming ones, used ones like this ->http://www.i-canoe.com/Helmets/Head-wear/Smiley%27s+Noseplugs.html. They would wear them down the rivers we paddled so sometimes up to 2/3 hours so reckon they could be comfortable.

Seems to be a bit softer on the nose and a bit more 'adjustable' from what they said. The metal bridge is fairly manoeuvrable. Bit more expensive too but if it works!

That seems like worth looking into as my swims are going to go up 3 hrs in June and July !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭joey100

Think it might just be try a few and see what suits best for you though. Don't wear them myself, could never really get used to not being able to breathe through my nose! But like I said a good few of my mates wear them ones and seem to like them, they did say though that if you are constantly adjusting it that the metal can become very weak.

Advertisement