Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bike Scheme thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

cgcsb wrote: »
    It's one year from the date you get it, not a calendar year.

Doh. I misread it altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Doh. I misread it altogether.

Nah, it could be clearer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭what_traffic

One downside is that you cannot add the Dublinbikes to your card. You can add Limerick and Cork which is good.

Also the maps on the Website are not correct. They still include the University Rd and Tourist Office station.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭ratracer

Future headline predictor:

Near future - 'Cllr's welcome GalwayBike Scheme, will boost tourism'

Not too distant future - 'Cllr's slam irresponsible bike users - Someone is going to get hurt!!!'

By the end of next summer - 'Cllr's demand more policing of GalwayBike users'

Followed by - 'Cllr's demand bikes be removed from streets, claims they were never told about them before this!'

ratracer wrote: »
    Future headline predictor:

Near future - 'Cllr's welcome GalwayBike Scheme, will boost tourism'

Not too distant future - 'Cllr's slam irresponsible bike users - Someone is going to get hurt!!!'

By the end of next summer - 'Cllr's demand more policing of GalwayBike users'

Followed by - 'Cllr's demand bikes be removed from streets, claims they were never told about them before this!'

You hit the nail on the head. Read todays so called Editorial in the Galway Advertiser for similar themes..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I wouldn't call that an editorial.

That particular columnist seems to regard his own weekly witterings as witty commentary on life as we know it. He could do with an editor. Oh wait...

How many docking stations have the City Council in their supreme wisdom decided to plonk down on existing Bike Parking stands? Mainguard St and Eyre Sq are two locations? Others?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

How many docking stations have the City Council in their supreme wisdom decided to plonk down on existing Bike Parking stands? Mainguard St and Eyre Sq are two locations? Others?

Well they removed bike parking from Raven Terrace on the grounds that they were putting in a bikeshare stand in that space - and then changed the location of the bikeshare stand without reinstating the bike parking.

Also where is the bike stand station going down at GTI? (I dont know - genuine question.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭ratracer

Well they removed bike parking from Raven Terrace on the grounds that they were putting in a bikeshare stand in that space - and then changed the location of the bikeshare stand without reinstating the bike parking.

Also where is the bike stand station going down at GTI? (I dont know - genuine question.)

There is a bike parking stand, but not a GalwayBike station beside the gate of GTI

I believe it is going to replace the bike parking stands that ratracer mentions. The original place for the bike docking station was the green triangle in front of the GTI but it has now been changed. Those bike parking stands the docking station is replacing should be in the grounds of GTI itself - would be the logical place for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Less than a week to go! Are all the stations in place now?

I believe it is going to replace the bike parking stands that ratracer mentions. The original place for the bike docking station was the green triangle in front of the GTI but it has now been changed. Those bike parking stands the docking station is replacing should be in the grounds of GTI itself - would be the logical place for them.

Yep I passed there last night. There is a fence up around the bike parking. I have a recollection of someone telling me that the person in charge of the GTI will not agree to the installation of bike parking on the grounds and this is why that bike rack is outside. Can anyone confirm that there is no bike parking in the GTI?

Yep I passed there last night. There is a fence up around the bike parking. I have a recollection of someone telling me that the person in charge of the GTI will not agree to the installation of bike parking on the grounds and this is why that bike rack is outside. Can anyone confirm that there is no bike parking in the GTI?

What an educated educator!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

What an educated educator!

Probably to do with public liability insurance.

antoobrien wrote: »
    Probably to do with public liability insurance.

What do you mean?

What do you mean?

It's potentially bringing people on site that are not actually travelling to GTI. That would have an adverse effect on their public liability insurance.

It's potentially bringing people on site that are not actually travelling to GTI. That would have an adverse effect on their public liability insurance.

We are just talking about regular Bike parking for the patrons of the Educational Institution in question the GTI. Not a bikeshare docking station.

We are just talking about regular Bike parking for the patrons of the Educational Institution in question the GTI. Not a bikeshare docking station.

Then one would suggest that the discussion is OT and belongs on the cycling in Galway thread.

Then one would suggest that the discussion is OT and belongs on the cycling in Galway thread.

But that is not the case here if the Bike Docking Station is removing regular bike parking that was provided for GTI patrons then it is fair observation to ask were this bike parking should now be provided?

But that is not the case here if the Bike Docking Station is removing regular bike parking that was provided for GTI patrons then it is fair observation to ask were this bike parking should now be provided?

I refer you to post #229.

• Advertisement

I refer you to post #229.

I refer you to post #230. Cycling around in circles we are now! Ha ha

So anyway, as far as we can establish, Galway City Council's implementation of the Bikeshare scheme is resulting in the removal of 40 to 50 bike parking spaces (possibly more).

In a city already noted for the general inadequacy of bike parking provision.

So anyway, as far as we can establish, Galway City Council's implementation of the Bikeshare scheme is resulting in the removal of 40 to 50 bike parking spaces (possibly more).

In a city already noted for the general inadequacy of bike parking provision.

Sometimes I don't know whether to laugh or cry when it comes to the City Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Without reading all the posts here, I don't imagine I would be alone in thinking it's a bit mad not having the bike stations in Salthill and at either end of the promenade?

Heck they should get some up in Westside around the shopping centres. Also no hard in getting some out in Corrib Village. Or GMIT and the the surrounding area towards town. Plenty of people live up there.

I suppose this is only phase 1, well hopefully.

So whats the deal with the EU 150 part of the subscription? On one part of Bikeshare.ie its described as a "guarantee" against the card and on another as a "deposit".

The first would be a preauthorised payment that does not actually come off your account unless invoked while the other would be a payment taken and held by the operator.

Also if I read it right do they want a separate guarantee/deposit for each city?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

My membership card arrived today!

I can confirm the 150 isn't taken upfront and there also isn't any funds held against it on the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

So anyway, as far as we can establish, Galway City Council's implementation of the Bikeshare scheme is resulting in the removal of 40 to 50 bike parking spaces (possibly more). In a city already noted for the general inadequacy of bike parking provision.

www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92901337&postcount=191
    the NTA will reimburse the Council for any bike racks removed, up to the Council to use the money to install replacement racks... I'll be getting on to the Council anyhow

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Without reading all the posts here, I don't imagine I would be alone in thinking it's a bit mad not having the bike stations in Salthill and at either end of the promenade?

Heck they should get some up in Westside around the shopping centres. Also no hard in getting some out in Corrib Village. Or GMIT and the the surrounding area towards town. Plenty of people live up there.

This... I only found out about the scheme this week, but I'm surprised they have all 18(!) stations bunched up in the (tiny) city centre with absolutely none outside.

In fact walking between the 2 furthest stations (from ICE on the Fr Burke Road to the City Hall) is about 15 minutes. Most stations are only 1-2 minute walk apart. The two at the Spanish arch are right across the road from each other!

This way it's hardly worth the trouble of taking one (or you end up taking one out for the duration of your visit outside the centre at enormous cost). The whole point of a bike is getting to or from places that are too far to walk.

There should be some in Knocknacarra, Salthill, Ballybrit, at the major shopping centres etc. It seems like it's only a token effort to show how 'green' Galway is but not a practical alternative to anything.

I'm waiting for the first city councillor to proclaim in the papers that we all have to bike to work now as they deem adequate facilities to be available :/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭thesandeman

There's ONE bike attached to one of the stations across from Garvey's tonight. It's red and black so I presume it's a Coke one?

• Advertisement

jkforde wrote: »
    www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92901337&postcount=191
    the NTA will reimburse the Council for any bike racks removed, up to the Council to use the money to install replacement racks... I'll be getting on to the Council anyhow

It would not be the first time the city council executive supposedly had money for cycle parking. Bear in mind also that over the years developments that did not provide bike parking were supposed to pay into a fund so that the city council would provide it instead.

The council executive have a long history of having money for bike parking but being curiously unable to spend it.

In short I think a complaint to government TDs might be a better route.

Advertisement