Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bike Scheme thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭_Puma_

I see from the Galway advertiser the new bikes are in. From the pictures it seems the have replaced 2 of the normal bike racks in the square with these things. Used to always cycle into town and lock the bike in the square. They would always be full with 2 bikes per rack this time of year so I'm really struggling to figure out what genius though it would be a good idea to take out some of the existing racks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

One of the bike stations was reportedly struck by a car in the last few days. Three stands damaged. I'm not sure which one was hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

It's madness that the scheme doesn't include areas like Salthill. Good to see the national media picking up on that: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/transport-minister-fails-to-explain-why-popular-seaside-destination-salthill-is-not-part-of-galway-bikes-scheme-30768844.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Personally, I think
    2 are needed in Salthill (one either end of the prom)
    1 is needed in the Galway Shopping center
    1 is needed in GMIT
    1 is needed out by Dangan
    1 is needed beside corrib village
    1 is needed in or around Terryland
    Some are needed in Knocknacarra
    1 in Westside shopping center

I wonder will it expand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I was in town for lunch and saw them.
    A few people in coke zero jackets became the first to cycle them down shop street.
    Looking at the stations, for the one at the advertiser at least, the main problem will be having enough room to actually remove a bike from the racks with the illegally park cars that are almost touching their back wheels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭galwayfellaBETA

Sniipe wrote: »
    Personally, I think
    1 is needed in GMIT

I wonder will it expand?

+1

I love the idea of them. I went to sign up but the stations are way to clustered together. It's pretty much useless in Galway untill they add more stations.

2 needed in GMIT
    2 in NUIG
    1 near Huntsman.
    2 in Salthill.
    1 Far Salthill.
    1 serving Renmore
    1 for Riverside/Lisbaun
    etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Sniipe wrote: »
    Personally, I think
    1 is needed in GMIT

I wonder will it expand?

Bear in mind you can't have isolated stands (I'm not familiar enough with the geography to know whether your wishes above would lead to such isolated stands), you need to build gradually from a central point, going a maximum 250/300 metres in any direction before putting a stand down.

So to get to a few points one mile in each direction you increase the amount of stands and bikes needed by an exponential amount.

I do agree looking at the map on the cokezero website that the initial rollout seems very condensed and not very useful ; seems to be roughly a mere 1300 metres between the two furthest away station.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

dloob wrote: »
    I was in town for lunch and saw them.
    A few people in coke zero jackets became the first to cycle them down shop street.
    Looking at the stations, for the one at the advertiser at least, the main problem will be having enough room to actually remove a bike from the racks with the illegally park cars that are almost touching their back wheels.

That got a good giggle. So the Coke Zero people started off by cycling down the pedestrian zone?

I can see Councillor Padraig Conneely Esq, OBE, FTQ being very comfortable with that.

For the record the Jacobs Report into Bikeshare for cities outside Dublin specifically raised the issue of allowing cycling in pedestrian areas. The way the Shop St pedestrianisation was done was unworkable anyway and this was pointed out at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,689 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I reckon one near Barna Woods / Silverstrand too as a priority for summer anyway.

Next priorities, IMHO, are Briarhill, Parkmore, Doughiska Rd (bottom - by Castlegar GAA)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    One of the bike stations was reportedly struck by a car in the last few days. Three stands damaged. I'm not sure which one was hit.

Do you know which one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

That got a good giggle. So the Coke Zero people started off by cycling down the pedestrian zone?

I can see Councillor Padraig Conneely Esq, OBE, FTQ being very comfortable with that.

For the record the Jacobs Report into Bikeshare for cities outside Dublin specifically raised the issue of allowing cycling in pedestrian areas. The way the Shop St pedestrianisation was done was unworkable anyway and this was pointed out at the time.

Yep two of them on their bikes with the big flags attached.
    I was amused, then I nearly got run over by someone going the other way on their own bike. :pac:

The CZ bikes were launched today in Eyre Square. I spotted one FG Minister, three FG TDs, two FG Councillors, an FG Senator, the Mayor, City Manager Chief Executive of Galway City Council, the Acting Director of Services for Planning & Transport, the Acting head of the Galway Transport Unit, a Senior Executive or two from the City Council, a Garda Superintendent, political handlers, Coke Zero reps, NTA reps and An Rothar Nua reps.

A substantial Garda presence also, with two squad cars, a Community Garda on an MTB, and 4-5 officers on foot.

No Labour TD or Councillors, funnily enough. I wonder why?

Oh yes, and Hector O hEochagain, along with some rugby geezer.

There was quite a buzz.

I'm having trouble reconciling the Council's generally miserable record on the cycling front with their unbridled enthusiasm for the CZ bike scheme.

How come I never see any of these Council people on bikes during a normal week? (Actually, to be scrupulously fair, I hear one of them cycles at least occasionally.) What is it about the CZ bikes specifically that gets them so excited, when they are often so indifferent about actual commuter cycling?

329430.jpg

329431.jpg

329432.jpg

As for the bikes themselves, I like them. Comfortable and manoeuvrable, and the built-in dynamo-powered lights are a very useful feature. The continuously variable transmission is excellent, though the brakes are pretty crap. The electronic system was also very easy to use.

Yup I remember them saying this at the Symposium as well that was held in NUIG.

In that report did they mention the idea of Contraflow cycle path along Merchants road Dock road as a possible solution?

The CZ bikes were launched today in Eyre Square. I spotted one FG Minister, three FG TDs, two FG Councillors, an FG Senator, the Mayor, City Manager Chief Executive of Galway City Council, the Acting Director of Services for Planning & Transport, the Acting head of the Galway Transport Unit, a Senior Executive or two from the City Council, a Garda Superintendent, political handlers, Coke Zero reps, NTA reps and An Rothar Nua reps.

A substantial Garda presence also, with two squad cars, an MTB and 4-5 officers on foot.

No Labour TD or Councillors, funnily enough. I wonder why?

Oh yes, and Hector O hEochagain, along with some rugby geezer.

There was quite a buzz.

I'm having trouble reconciling the Council's generally miserable record on the cycling front with their unbridled enthusiasm for the CZ bike scheme.

How come I never see any of these Council people on bikes during a normal week? (Actually, to be scrupulously fair, I hear one of them cycles at least occasionally.) What is it about the CZ bikes specifically that gets them so excited, when they are often so indifferent about actual commuter cycling?

Good pics - I'm surprised you got through the cordon of steel.

I can see the headlines now - "Minister criticised for cycling in traffic free area without a helmet".

"Tut tut" said noted motoring journalist Humphey O'Petrolhead. When contacted, Conor Faughnan of the AA expresses his amazement at such irresponsibility. etc etc

Good pics - I'm surprised you got through the cordon of steel.

I can see the headlines now - "Minister criticised for cycling in traffic free area without a helmet".

"Tut tut" said noted motoring journalist Humphey O'Petrolhead. When contacted, Conor Faughnan of the AA expresses his amazement at such irresponsibility. etc etc

I have to disagree with you on this occasion.

Helmet hysteria seems to have abated -- permanently, with any luck. Or at least nobody was in the least bothered about it on this high-profile occasion.

If the Minister and his handlers, or anyone in City Hall, the NTA, or An Rothar Nua felt that they had to keep the helmet hysterics happy then they would have made at least a token effort (eg the usual business of the unfastened helmet perched symbolically on the very top of the celebrity cyclist's head). The only helmet I saw was on the Community Garda.

Very refreshing. Evidence-based and common-sense arguments from cycling campaigners may actually have paid off. Long may it last.

Came across this on twitter via @galwaycycling.org in relation to the Public Bike Share Scheme
    http://www.galwaycycling.org/campaign-welcome-bike-share-scheme-but-lament-lack-of-vision/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

It was the one at Earls Island, just across from the cathedral. Literally less than 24 hours after the bike stands had been installed, last week. No idea how a car could mount the footpath there unless it was a drunk driver...

RTE News cover the Galway Public Bike Share launch
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1124/662058-galway-bike-scheme/

I have to disagree with you on this occasion.

Helmet hysteria seems to have abated -- permanently, with any luck. Or at least nobody was in the least bothered about it on this high-profile occasion.

If the Minister and his handlers, or anyone in City Hall, the NTA, or An Rothar Nua felt that they had to keep the helmet hysterics happy then they would have made at least a token effort (eg the usual business of the unfastened helmet perched symbolically on the very top of the celebrity cyclist's head). The only helmet I saw was on the Community Garda.

Very refreshing. Evidence-based and common-sense arguments from cycling campaigners may actually have paid off. Long may it last.

Hopefully you are right. But it was something to watch closely particularly with a brand new Minister.

I have learned through bitter experience to never underestimate the capacity of Ministers or their advisers to be ignorant of basic matters to do with cycling policy.

Especially one who does not invite cycling groups to the launch of a bike sharing scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

CokeZero sales have soared in local stores..:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Saw the city manager / chief executive Brendan McGrath on the 6pm news protraying this as a commuting option for people who drive up to 4km to work. The mind boggles.

And is still boggling.

He also said that the Council wants to "get people out of those cars onto their bikes, getting exercise but also speeding up traffic, and getting around what is a cycle-friendly city."

http://www.rte.ie/news/player/six-one-news/

With regard to the Chief Executive's belief that Galway City is "cycle-friendly", I am immediately reminded of an occasion earlier this year when I was stuck at a red light here. As I waited, and waited, and as a line of cars started to build up behind me, who should drive by along Fr Griffin Road, blissfully unaware that I was keeping the light green for him? Hint: see Six One News clip above (Nov 24).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I saw some guys fixing the damaged stands near the Cathedral. Looks like someone hit them at a fast enough speed. It wasnt just a little knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,923 ✭✭✭thesandeman

I saw some guys fixing the damaged stands near the Cathedral. Looks like someone hit them at a fast enough speed. It wasnt just a little knock.

Were they installed by one of Denis O' Brien's companies by any chance?

Seriously though, has anyone seen them being used yet (except for the officials cycling illegally on Shop Street)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

The removal of all of the bike locking stands at Mainguard Street is really annoying. :mad:

Have they replaced bike stands elsewhere with these new bikes? There are a hell of a lot more private owners than the 195 Coke Zero bikes who need somewhere not annoying to the public to chain their bikes to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

And is still boggling.

He also said that the Council wants to "get people out of those cars onto their bikes, getting exercise but also speeding up traffic, and getting around what is a cycle-friendly city."

http://www.rte.ie/news/player/six-one-news/

With regard to the Chief Executive's belief that Galway City is "cycle-friendly", I am immediately reminded of an occasion earlier this year when I was stuck at a red light here. As I waited, and waited, and as a line of cars started to build up behind me, who should drive by along Fr Griffin Road, blissfully unaware that I was keeping the light green for him? Hint: see Six One News clip above (Nov 24).

So you knew the sensor doesn't work for bikes but to prove a point you just stay there?

Crumbs868 wrote: »
    So you knew the sensor doesn't work for bikes but to prove a point you just say there?

That has just given me an idea for a very good way for cyclist to make a protest about Galway city council's incompetent junction designs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

That has just given me an idea for a very good way for cyclist to make a protest about Galway city council's incompetent junction designs.
    Do share! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Seriously though, has anyone seen them being used yet (except for the officials cycling illegally on Shop Street)?

When at the market yesterday I checked out the bikes opposite Garveys, but had nowhere I needed to go within the small range of the scheme so didn't bother. Also I noticed 3 of the stands are blocked by the entrance arch to the market.

I'll make use of the Father Griffin Rd / GTI stand once it gets up and running.

Advertisement