Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bike Scheme thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

bikes-1024x651.jpg

Ugh. You'd think they's paint them mauve and white. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Looks like works have started again today on the stations when I was passing through town today at 11h00. (Prospect Hill and the Firestation)
    Confirmed by the Connacht Tribune as well today:
    http://connachttribune.ie/work-to-resume-on-city-bike-scheme-after-agreement-on-docking-locations/

Galway Advertiser has a Front Page Story on the Bike Share Scheme today as well:
    http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/73365/concerns-mount-over-lack-of-bike-parking-facilities-in-city

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

What stage is the Galway scheme at now? Are the bike stands in place now or is it still just electric work being done?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

Some of the locations have the bike stands in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,283 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The launch of the scheme is supposedly next week.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/roll-out-of-cork-bike-scheme-delayed-6-months-291676.html

Can anyone confirm if the works are in an advanced stage?

From the
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/roll-out-of-cork-bike-scheme-delayed-6-months-291676.html
    on the "Friday, October 17, 2014" it said:

"An NTA spokesperson said the Galway scheme is on course for opening on the week of November 10."

What chance it will be ready within a week in Galway? Is above factoring in the delays as mentioned already in this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

cgcsb wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if the works are in an advanced stage?

I believe that's the Eyre Square bike stand you can see on the Galway Advertiser's webcam, it certainly doesn't looks ready yet anyway...

http://46.137.167.201/webcam/

7UZTXi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,979 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Yeah that's it. Mainguard St is in the same condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭jkforde

got this reply to an email from the NTA man in charge of the scheme..

"...the NTA has previously provided funding to Galway City Council under that programme for the provision of cycle parking facilities in various locations throughout the city. To the extent that the bike share scheme impacts on some of the existing cycle parking, the NTA will fund the City Council for the provision of replacement cycle stands in appropriate locations. It will be a matter for the City Council to identify the most suitable locations."

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement

The Prospect Hill one seems to be taking shape.
    Seems a bit silly to put it outside a pub though.

Seems that Forster St and University Road Stations are not going ahead from the @GalwayCycling twitter feed

The one opposite the fire station looks finished to me

"An NTA spokesperson said the Galway scheme is on course for opening on the week of November 10."

Any sign of the bikes?

Steady on, it's only Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

There's no sign of a website yet anyway so we can't even register!

J o e wrote: »
    Any sign of the bikes?

Have not seen any in Galway yet but have heard they are in the City.
    On this site
    https://www.bikeshare.ie/
    they are giving 24th November as the launch date for Galway.
    Can sign up as well on bikeshare.ie

Nice find on the website. I've registered, cheaper than expected @ €5.

Confirmed pricing from the website;

5FL4px.jpg

It really is for short term rental, on that pricing structure a 24hr rental would cost €86.50 :rolleyes: (Edit: I know, it's meant as a bike share scheme not bike rental)

I assume there'll be a lot of frequent checking in and out for anyone that's touring around the city for the day.

You can also add additional cities (Cork and Limerick) to your account/card- only pity you cannot also add the DublinBikes.
    Interesting feature is that you can also use your Leapcard instead of getting the Coke Zero Card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The Prospect Hill one seems to be taking shape.
    Seems a bit silly to put it outside a pub though.

Ya, I'm sure the lads delivering kegs are delighted. But they might just have the technology to ensure it's moved soon enough.

The lads in Ar Do Rothar a few doors down won't be too pleased either. They rent out bikes.

Interesting. However, extremely disappointing that Dublin bikes remains isolated from the other schemes and from leap, despite both leap and bike sharing starting in the capital in the first place. I wonder in the future will the proposed Belfast scheme be integrated with Dublin/Cork/Limerick/Galway. Also will Waterford and the larger towns be added at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭ratracer

J o e wrote: »
    It really is for short term rental, on that pricing structure a 24hr rental would cost €86.50 :rolleyes: (Edit: I know, it's meant as a bike share scheme not bike rental)

I assume there'll be a lot of frequent checking in and out for anyone that's touring around the city for the day.

That's the whole idea, you use it for a short hop, park it, take another one when you need it. All you have to do is swop you're bike at a station if you want to keep hold of one.

For Leisure

For shopping, sports or a healthy and fun family cycle use Coca-Cola Zero® Bikes to get around your city. Cycle from anywhere in the city to Galway Shopping Centre, the Sportsground, Salthill Promenade or simply head to your favorite café in the city centre. Simple.

Does the office down in Wexford know where the Salthill Promenade is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

simply head to your favorite café in the city centre

What about, say, cycling from the bike station beside the library in St Augustine Street to Park House on Forster Street?

Or Bowling Green to Sheridan's on Churchyard Street, before heading down to Ard Bia?

Or from Eyre Square to City Hall, and from there back to the library?

Simple, necessarily?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Galway City Council have the same PR on its Website as well:
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/news/131/59/The-Coca-Cola-Zero-Bikes-are-Coming-to-Galway-Cork-and-Limerick-Launch-Dates-Announced/

Pictures of the bikes on the prom as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Pre-register and receive a special offer price of €5 on an annual subscription. This special offer extends to the end of 2014.

I'm a bit confused by this.

Are they requiring that an annual subscription be paid to use the bikes until the end of this year?

Does the special offer price make that worthwhile?

• Advertisement

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused by this.

Are they requiring that an annual subscription be paid to use the bikes until the end of this year?

Does the special offer price make that worthwhile?

It's one year from the date you get it, not a calendar year.

Advertisement