Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bike Scheme thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭metroburgers

Possible locations on map, doesn't include all stations. Link
    bikescheme.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭metroburgers

celty wrote: »
    One thing I have noticed is that there are no docking stations in Salthill, Knocknacarra, etc, which means that the scheme as originally outlined is confined to a pretty compact area of the city.

Surely that's a bit of an oversight? Even busiensses in Salthill should be lobbying to get included at this stage.

Completely agree, nearest Station to Salthill would be Father Griffin Road ffs? :confused: I would of thought the inclusion of a Docking Station near Grattan Road/Prom/even up to the Diving Boards would be obvious, due to access to amenities/tourism.

Have stations been set in stone? Could this be crowdfunded?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

One wonders who decides on these locations

The locations are great for those who park in the Dyke / Cathedral and work in:

a) The City Council
    b) The County Council
    c) The Revenue
    d) Dept. of Social Protection
    e) CIE / Bus Eireann
    d) UCHG Hospital
    e) The Courthouse

They are not so good for:

a) Tourists or locals who might wish to visit Salthill or any area outside of the town centre.
    b) Students / Visitors to GMIT
    b) Workers in Mervue / Ballybane / Parkmore / Briarhill / Ballybrit / Newcastle

The distance between the 2 stations furthest away from each other is only 1.6 km - walkable in less than 20 mins.

Hopefully, this is just a start and will be expanded to include Salthill and other outlying areas.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Here are the Galway locations.

Such a pity it's running behind schedule.
    307750.jpg

Most of those places are within 5-10 mins walk of each other. Pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I wonder why the Docking Stations with the following ID's

4-04
    4-11
    and
    4-13

have been ommitted from the list?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Most of those places are within 5-10 mins walk of each other.

Probably just as well, since the extensive one-way street system in the compact city centre means that it will be illegal to cycle many of the shortest and most direct routes between docking stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sonandheir

dilallio wrote: »
    They are not so good for:

a) Tourists or locals who might wish to visit Salthill or any area outside of the town centre.
    b) Students / Visitors to GMIT
    b) Workers in Mervue / Ballybane / Parkmore / Briarhill / Ballybrit / Newcastle

The distance between the 2 stations furthest away from each other is only 1.6 km - walkable in less than 20 mins.

great post. I couldn't agree more the major residential and industrial zones are not covered.

Also they just finished upgrading westside (Seamus quirke rd) to be cycle friendly and connect across bridge to headford road, yet there's no station in Westside?

There seems to be no consistent approach to improving cycling in the city. There is only one of these bike docks along the new n6 cycleway( at headford road). The council have spent the last few years tearing up all these roundabouts and greatly improving these junctions simply to not utilise this new network with a flagship bicycle scheme.

News story in todays Connacht Tribune re the BikeScheme
    http://connachttribune.ie/galway-city-bike-rental-scheme-delayed/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭dinneenp

How can they get it so wrong? I'd like to say fair play for putting the scheme in place but why none in Westside, Renmore, Wellpark or other places that people have already mentioned?

I'm sure they planned it and put some thought into it but I'd like to hear from someone saying why nowhere above/a bit out from town was included.

dinneenp wrote: »
    How can they get it so wrong? I'd like to say fair play for putting the scheme in place but why none in Westside, Renmore, Wellpark or other places that people have already mentioned?

I'm sure they planned it and put some thought into it but I'd like to hear from someone saying why nowhere above/a bit out from town was included.

It's money plain and Simple! The amount of money the Dept of Transport allocate to walking and cycling is tiny. If Gov was really serious about the scheme they would not need Corp Sponsorship at all.

• Advertisement

Coke Zero sponsoring the Dublin Bike Scheme now
    https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/479215370180780032/photo/1

Coke Zero sponsoring the Dublin Bike Scheme now
    https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/479215370180780032/photo/1

Hmm, I wonder will that mean for integrated usage across the various cities

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Any sign of work on the bikes around town?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

No.

You might see galvanized boxes 4ft by 2ft installed at the proposed bike stations. Don't have a photo of it but that's about all I have seen regarding the Bike Scheme.

Hmm, I wonder will that mean for integrated usage across the various cities

Good point. Hopefully will be integrated across all the Irish City locations considering that Coke Zero has got the Sponsorship for the Dublin Scheme now as well . Which reminds me....:o

So eh, no sign of this by July 2014.

I think I read somewhere that the bikes would be coming in the autumn.

Snippet in today's City Tribune (Local News page 57):
    One of the 19 'bike docking' stations for the Public Bike share system in Galway will be located on Father Griffin Road. While this is a great scheme it is a pity that Claddagh will lose one of its few green spaces to facilitate this station.

I haven't seen any map or photomontage showing a docking station on Fr Griffin Road.

So where is the proposed site and why does a green space have to be sacrificed to make room for it?

I did not realise that all those workspaces being created around town are the new docking stations..
    There is one on University and another on Goal

Meanwhile motorists are whining that motorist parking is being replaced by bike parking. Fuming councillor alert -
    http://connachttribune.ie/anger-over-bike-scheme-docking-station-177/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭ratracer

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Snippet in today's City Tribune (Local News page 57):

I haven't seen any map or photomontage showing a docking station on Fr Griffin Road.

So where is the proposed site and why does a green space have to be sacrificed to make room for it?

Now that I understand what the works were for, the bike station in claddagh is directly opposite the fire station, beside the sun monument thing. This was a paved area, so no green area lost at this station. Spotted a few of them around the town now, hopefully it won't be kind before it operational.

ratracer wrote: »
    Now that I understand what the works were for, the bike station in claddagh is directly opposite the fire station, beside the sun monument thing. This was a paved area, so no green area lost at this station. Spotted a few of them around the town now, hopefully it won't be kind before it operational.
    Eh, there used to be a tree there :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

snubbleste wrote: »

His arguments about 3 car parking spaces being more valuable than multiple cycle parking spaces is disappointing. Also I highly doubt the councilors weren't shown plans of the proposed sites.

That said, his suggested alternative site on the wide bend along the university wall is actually a reasonable one...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭ratracer

snubbleste wrote: »
    Eh, there used to be a tree there :mad:

Ah, you're right that there used to be a tree there, but this was removed when the 'art' was installed, hence my assertion that this was not a green area being removed. I didn't agree with the tree being removed then either.

J o e wrote: »
    Also I highly doubt the councilors weren't shown plans of the proposed sites.

... such as this one which metroburgers mentioned before (new link);
    http://search.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/120813_01.pdf

7YZHBJ.png

ratracer wrote: »

This was meant to go into Raven's Terrace. See the link JOE has posted. So looks like City Hall are not following its own planning application? (It is a "Proposed" location map)

The map above shows proposed sites, the final plan may have changed. I can't find any plans for the final agreed locations...

Saw this on twitter last night
    Location of docking station at entrance to Newtownsmith Car park in Galway City Centre
    https://twitter.com/GalwayCycling/status/514463391562620928/photo/1
    via GalwayCycling.org (@GalwayCycling)

Perhaps we could post other pics to this thread if people see the stations being built.
    Stations being built opposite Cathedral and WoodQuay as well at the minute

Has the pricing structure been released yet for this scheme?

• Advertisement

J o e wrote: »
    Has the pricing structure been released yet for this scheme?

I presume it will be the same as Dublin. Same sponsor.
    http://www.dublinbikes.ie
    First 30 minutes free?

The following is a great article about Dublin Bike users that was published in the Sunday Indo 19/09/2014
    http://www.independent.ie/life/a-day-in-the-life-of-a-dublin-bike-30599433.html

Advertisement