Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family guy gone to far? or P.C brigade moaning for nothing.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

parrai wrote: »
    The woman is pushed out the door, in front of several people, and is called a fat stupid bitch, then is seen apologising for the sociopathic boyfriend, with a black eye, which if you have seen them, (they're not funny) in a comedy way, which is very similar to victims of domestic violence... The victim often sees themselves as the problem rather than the overbearing, psychopathic, controlling dickhead of a partner! Can you honestly point out the humour in that scenario...??

Facepalm my arse!

Has anyone actually watched the episode? It shows that along with plenty of other situations typical of DV, not in a joke. During the episode Peter says "What the hell happened to the days when a guy does something like that to a girl and a bunch of us guys get together and just go kick his ****ing ass?".
    The whole episode leads to the guys trying to kill the abuser and I won't spoil the ending. The "making light" of domestic violence in the episode probably isn't in the 5 most objectionable parts of the episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,090 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Ahhh the more i read online the more i watch the more ****ing ****e i hear people talk the more i realize the world has become a fairly sheltered molly coddled wrapped in wool pc sham.

Im ****ing sick of hearing how ''disturbed'' or ''shocked'' people where by a film or a tv show or a bloody cartoon ffs get your head out of your arse and live in the real world.

Ffs i watched that episode yesterday and all i taught was god how Family guy has gotten so ****e compared to how it was in its hay day.

Now i dont get offended easyly in fact theres very very little that would bother me weather it was tv film or in real life except *My family/friends being hurt or unnecessary cruelty towards animals*

I have seen ALOT weather it was filmed or happened in front of me and its making me sick how people are labeling things as ''To far'' To much'' ''Shocking'' ''Disturbing'' when theres no need for it at all.

Some people should just **** off and keep there backwards sheltered views to themselves and maybe let the rest of the world make up there own mind and what we should and shouldnt do or watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Can't believe they think this is news... Jesus, nearly everything that quagmire says and does is borderline. I hate the PC brigade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The point is being missed here. People with understanding know that domestic violence is not acceptable. But there are mindless idiots out there who will lap this up and think it is funny and acceptable... It's a fact.

The psychologist has acknowledged the fact that Family Guy is a cutting satire, the point she is making is that they have pushed the issue too far.

They have done this by making the victim look like she is accepting her boyfriends behaviour by the fact he is out of work and blaming foreigners, a situation that is actually happening in America and around the world for real.

It's not funny...

Yes they kill him off and the rest of it but that is a measure too late, the damage has already be done in the girlfriends defending of the 'sociopathic' boyfriend.

The psychologist is raising her profile and completely ignoring the 'fact' that Lois, who is the voice of reason, corrects the victim and tries to make her realise that she is being abused by her BF because he is a bully.

The psychdoc and the interviewer are focusing on what is controversial rather than giving a balanced analysis so they can get a reaction of self-righteous indignation from the audience.

The psychologist acts more like a priest than a scientist by abusing her perceived expertise to convince the audience they have an excuse to be outraged.

It's bullshit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

A brigade typically consists of around 5,000 soldiers commanded by a Colonel (depending on the country). So my question to OP, where is this "PC" Brigade stationed and who is its commander?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭parrai

The psychologist is raising her profile and completely ignoring the 'fact' that Lois, who is the voice of reason, corrects the victim and tries to make her realise that she is being abused by her BF because he is a bully.

The psychdoc and the interviewer are focusing on what is controversial rather than giving a balanced analysis so they can get a reaction of self-righteous indignation from the audience.

The psychologist acts more like a priest than a scientist by abusing her perceived expertise to convince the audience they have an excuse to be outraged.

It's bullshit.

What has my opinion got to do with your point? Are you saying my point is bul****? Am I not entitled to an opinion?

How is this psychologist raising her profile? She is making a valid point about domestic violence which is a serious issue and not a joking matter.

We all know family guy is on the edge satire, but she is right, this is a stupid attempt to bring real problems into a cartoon, where they have no place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

What has my opinion got to do with your point? Are you saying my point is bul****? Am I not entitled to an opinion?

How is this psychologist raising her profile? She is making a valid point about domestic violence which is a serious issue and not a joking matter.

We all know family guy is on the edge satire, but she is right, this is a stupid attempt to bring real problems into a cartoon, where they have no place.

Real problems do have places in cartoons. What a silly thing to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

this is a stupid attempt to bring real problems into a cartoon, where they have no place.

It's an adult cartoon, not bob the fkn builder...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

I always thought it would be this one...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

wtf, if they wanted to talk about going too far then the scene in the woods where Jeff drives at the sister boyfriend and impales him against a tree with blood splattering everywhere was much more disturbing than anything else in that episode

• Advertisement

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Real problems do have places in cartoons. What a silly thing to say.

Yes if you are 12 with no experience of life... Just look at the way they dealt with it, killing the perpetrator cause, ah, that's how it's dealt with in real life... Someone in a thread earlier said
    Sitec wrote: »
    That bitch presenter should shut her whoreish mouth before she gets a smackdown

This is representative of the type of people that DO find this funny!

This thread gave a choice, which basically boils down to what side of the fence you came down on, on this part of the cartoon, this is my opinion...

The psychologist is right... She probably deals with people who are in this situation, REAL people and found it disturbing, fair dues to her...

smash wrote: »
    It's an adult cartoon, not bob the fkn builder...

Agreed it is, then you think they'd know better

Yes if you are 12 with no experience of life... Just look at the way they dealt with it, killing the perpetrator cause, ah, that's how it's dealt with in real life... Someone in a thread earlier said

Nah, I'm 37, with plenty of experience of life, you just don't know what you're talking about in this particular thing. I'm not threatening anyone with a smackdown. I can give you examples of topics dealt with in cartoons in an adult way, but you probably know that there are actually examples out there, you just want to make a blanket judgement on a thing without analysing what's really being said and taking one thing as being an example of the whole. Much like the presenter.

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Nah, I'm 37, with plenty of experience of life, you just don't know what you're talking about in this particular thing. I'm not threatening anyone with a smackdown. I can give you examples of topics dealt with in cartoons in an adult way, but you probably know that there are actually examples out there, you just want to make a blanket judgement on a thing without analysing what's really being said and taking one thing as being an example of the whole. Much like the presenter.

Not at all, the point is, is it a step too far? This is the only point I am making in this, and about this, in this particular instance, example, that has been drawn attention too... That means in the parameters of THIS thread.

I know that this cartoon is 'pushy', I have no problem with it, but I can see where the psychologist is coming from, that is all! And she is right! In my opinion, so as the thread title basically says is it gone too far ? On this particular point it is, in my opinion.

Now this IS funny...

[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

smash wrote: »
    Can't believe they think this is news... Jesus, nearly everything that quagmire says and does is borderline. I hate the PC brigade.

It's not news. It's some guy who calls himself 'AJ Hammer' having a mickey fit on a Showbiz program.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,022 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Agree completely. It was funny in Father Ted though.
    Never saw it...

How can you expect anyone to take you seriously if you've never seen Father Ted?

Ficheall wrote: »
    How can you expect anyone to take you seriously if you've never seen Father Ted?

Never saw that particular episode he is talking about, it is described so vaguely, I just can't even recall if I have seen it or not, to be honest.

It's every episode with John and Mary...
    And the ones where Fr. Jack hits Fr. Ted...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

He's talking about John and Mary, fairly regular characters throughout the series.
    You know, the shopkeeping couple that are always abusing each other...

It's every episode with John and Mary...
    And the ones where Fr. Jack hits Fr. Ted...

Fair enough, still can't recall them... Like Family Guy, I haven't seen all the episodes of Fr.ted... But I think the implications of Ted and Family Guy are different in their approaches though, Ted is innocently pointing out the naivety of catholic Ireland, and Family Guy is a big kids point of observation of life, from the perspective of Seth, who really is a big kid! I know it is a collaboration, ie his creative team, but ultimately he is the boss.

I mean look at the implications of the Stewie and the horse sperm? What is he saying there? I don't know...

• Advertisement

Wertz wrote: »
    He's talking about John and Mary, fairly regular characters throughout the series.
    You know, the shopkeeping couple that are always abusing each other...

Oh yes, I know now, that was typical though of Irish society about 20 years ago and prior to it... There is nothing graphic though in that, but I find that to be funny, cause I knew people just like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Oh yes, I know now, that was typical though of Irish society about 20 years ago and prior to it... There is nothing graphic though in that, but I find that to be funny, cause I knew people just like that.

So now you're saying it's okay if you now people like that :confused:

Sonics2k wrote: »

No. That is just idiotic, put the whole post in context and then ask me a question based on the point...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

But they were abusing each other both physically and mentally solely for comedic value, as well as to point out the hypocrisy of God fearing catholic Ireland...

I fail to see how they differ that much from the characters in FG... both shows satirise pseudo-realistic situations with no actual redeeming message or moral.

In Father Ted, the two characters are not violent to each other...
    Years ago, the couple are representitive of a part of society that were living in hell because of the catholic churches stance on divorce... The priest was seen in society as a pillar of the community. it was the 'keeping up of appearances' of 'John & Mary' that today and in the 90s when the show was made that is being made fun of here... Everybody knew people like this, and that is why it was funny... They are not portrayed as being physically violent to each other, but more verbally hating the sight of each other. This futility is being pointed out by Linehan and Matthews.

On the other hand, Family Guy is portraying the woman as stupid... This is not the case though... Women in domestic violent relationships, often see themselves as being responsible for the partner violence toward them, justifying the partners violence. This is not funny, it is a something that happens. There are cases, where the abused partner lives in fear of the violent (and often, if the partner was to be evaluated), sociopath, psychopathic partner...

Now you can argue its a cartoon and should be taken as such, but in the context of the thread topic, I am coming down on the side of the debate for a step too far...

That is all.

In Father Ted, the two characters are not violent to each other...

Yes, they are. Very much so.

How so? The episodes I have seen, there was no beating, no black eyes...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

How so? The episodes I have seen, there was no beating, no black eyes...

You've never seen.

They beat the crap out of each other every episode they were in.

I can also safely say you didn't see this episode of Family Guy and are basing your opinion entirely on widespread rumour and nonsense.

Also, where is your side of the debate to justify the thread topic? You are taking issue with my point, therefore lets hear it.

• Advertisement

You've never seen.

They beat the crap out of each other every episode they were in.

I can also safely say you didn't see this episode of Family Guy and are basing your opinion entirely on widespread rumour and nonsense.

I believe they met Father Ted while one of them was in casualty after the other one went for them.

Advertisement