Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family guy gone to far? or P.C brigade moaning for nothing.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Siuin wrote: »
    Americans love stupid shít to get excited about

Like oil

Didn't the creator of Family Guy, Seth McFarlene, recently admit that Family Guy should have ended years ago?

The creator of the hit Fox animated series - which recently launched its tenth season - told The Hollywood Reporter that while fans are still passionate about the show, part of him feels that it ran its course several years ago.

MacFarlane explained: "Part of me thinks that Family Guy should have already ended. I think seven seasons is about the right lifespan for a TV series.

"I talk to the fans and in a way I'm kind of secretly hoping for them to say we're done with it. There are plenty of people who say the show is kind of over the hill… but still the vast majority go pale in the face when I mention the possibility."

MacFarlane also expressed interest in bringing the series to the big screen following its cancellation, adding: "Creatively, that would be the way to do it for me. Do a really fantastic final episode while the show is still strong."

Digitalspy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Yeah, because someone's holding a gun to MacFarlane's head forcing him to keep making Family Guy.

He's just trying desperately to be taken seriously while still cashing his huge paycheck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Dudess wrote: »
    OP, it doesn't bother me particularly - I think it's crass but it doesn't outrage me. However, why would a person who has a problem with it (their choice) automatically be a member of the mythical PC/bleeding heart brigade? Maybe they just, you know, have a problem with domestic violence being made light of?

Everyone has a problem with domestic violence, but in this episode i believe they are trying to get the message across that the "victim" has some accountability in the situation. By making her seem stupid it shows that maybe some people are simply stupid when it comes to this sort of issue.

However that doesn't apply to everyone, not everyone who is a victim of domestic violence is stupid or naive, but i think in this episode they were highlighting that some are and should have some accountability in the situation.

If your in a situation where your being abused its in your hands to get out of it. There's help out there, everyone has some sort of friends or family that can help and of course the gardai.

IMO some people choose this life and i think the episode tries to convey that message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I'm more offended by that stupid bint the guy in the link is talking to... "comedy is just tragedy viewed from the other side of the street"....what?

It's neither offensive nor funny...but FG has been going downhill in recent seasons I've found, in comedic terms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

What a load of shi'ite.

What about human-on-chicken violence?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Ah publicity

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's sort of funny that in an era that prides itself on being open minded that violence is such a taboo subject, its almost like the victorian attitude to sex. Weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

I don't watch the show but is that all that went on? I don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

It's still amazing how much more American society (in general) can be be conservative and prudish compared to Europe.

More specifically in terms of major network content.

This reminds of the shock and pre-publicity over the half-a-second, barely-any-contact gay kiss on Modern Family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Is there a new episode of family guy?! Thanks!!! I almost missed it!

Gay kissing and wife beating are fine....you're just not supposed to laugh at them.

FG has been making a laugh out of paedophilia and date rape for years via Herbert and Quagmire respectively with no outcry (that I've noticed)...

Wertz wrote: »
    Gay kissing and wife beating are fine....you're just not supposed to laugh at them.

FG has been making a laugh out of paedophilia and date rape for years via Herbert and Quagmire respectively with no outcry (that I've noticed)...

I don't remember any outrage either, I remember on scene when they were on a dating show and quagmire spiked a girls drink and then dragged her off when she was knocked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Domestic violence? In a cartoon? Never...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I also recall a gritty drama from the 90s with horrific scenes like a father attempting to kill his son with a knife, only being stopped by his wife physically restraining him.

I can't remember the programme's name, but I don't remember anyone kicking up a fuss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Eeehhhhyyaehhhhh, that reminds me of time I read this thread on boards and something funny happened. Eeehhhhyyaehhhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

in this episode i believe they are trying to get the message across that the "victim" has some accountability in the situation.

In many of those types of relationships there are extremely complex dynamics and often it isn't as clear cut as victim/perpetrator.
    By making her seem stupid it shows that maybe some people are simply stupid when it comes to this sort of issue

Some people are stupid though.

Dotrel wrote: »
    Eeehhhhyyaehhhhh, that reminds me of time I read this thread on boards and something funny happened. Eeehhhhyyaehhhhh

Guess you had to be there eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Wertz wrote: »
    Guess you had to be there eh?

Eeehhhhyyaehhhhh, Guess you had to be there reminds me of the time I was a bodyguard for Bob Denver and something funny happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Eeehhhhyyaehhhhh

What the hell is that supposed to be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Yeah, the main complaint from both the presenter and the doctor was that the episode wasn't funny! Hmmm, about 2 years too late there!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

That's nothing. There's an episode where Stewie eats a spoonful of horse sperm, for Gods sake.

phasers wrote: »
    What the hell is that supposed to be?

It's the half laughing noise Peter makes before they cut to some completely unrelated and mildly funny side gag...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Jesus its only a cartoon haha :) The episode showed Quagmires Sister Getting beat up by her bf :/
    If someone is offended by this episode there clearly not old enough to watch it lol

Or too old to watch it IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

it didnt go to far imo.
    but christ that episode wasnt funny.the last season and this season just havent been what fg used to be.and having no stewie in any episode is just plain wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

family guy have done way worse

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Ste_D

No matter what you put on telly these days there is some 'action group' or bunch or moral guardians who will get offended. If you ask me, the c*nts should go fukc themselves! :D

Recently (cant remember the channel) I heard a warning about moderate bad language in a show at about 11 at night. What happened to the watershed?

Ste_D wrote: »
    No matter what you put on telly these days there is some 'action group' or bunch or moral guardians who will get offended. If you ask me, the c*nts should go fukc themselves! :D

Recently (cant remember the channel) I heard a warning about moderate bad language in a show at about 11 at night. What happened to the watershed?

The bleeding heart brigade dont believe in the watershed!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Oddly enough I watched Ricky Gervais on the ONE snow tonight.

In response to his new show about a dwarf perhaps being "offensive" he said something brilliant. That there will always be people who get offended over something. If you try to create something that doesn't offend anyone, you wont make anything at all.

World gone mad is what I think. Its people picking and choosing what 'offends' them. Do the same people who got offended by this get offended by the sopranos? Oz? ... etc. Most likely they did not :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

That bitch presenter should shut her whoreish mouth before she gets a smackdown

Advertisement