Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family guy gone to far? or P.C brigade moaning for nothing.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Ste_D

LighterGuy wrote: »
    World gone mad is what I think. Its people picking and choosing what 'offends' them. Do the same people who got offended by this get offended by the sopranos? Oz? ... etc. Most likely they did not :rolleyes:

See, someone being offended by something is not really the issue - they dont have to watch it. Its the people whose reaction to being offended is to have something banned so that no one can ever see it who are the real problem!!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭parrai

The point is being missed here. People with understanding know that domestic violence is not acceptable. But there are mindless idiots out there who will lap this up and think it is funny and acceptable... It's a fact.

The psychologist has acknowledged the fact that Family Guy is a cutting satire, the point she is making is that they have pushed the issue too far.

They have done this by making the victim look like she is accepting her boyfriends behaviour by the fact he is out of work and blaming foreigners, a situation that is actually happening in America and around the world for real.

It's not funny...

Yes they kill him off and the rest of it but that is a measure too late, the damage has already be done in the girlfriends defending of the 'sociopathic' boyfriend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

parrai wrote: »

It's not funny...

yes it is its family guy

But there are mindless idiots out there who will lap this up and think it is funny and acceptable... It's a fact.

Are you suggesting that people will start beating their partners because they saw it on a cartoon and now they think its ok??

Seriously?

yes it is its family guy

Yes I agree normally 'Family Guy' is funny but in this situation it's not... Suppose they can't get it right all the time, but they should know the difference, or is Seth just pushing for controversy? Who knows, but in principle, I think the psychologist has a point, and i can see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

The point is being missed here. People with understanding know that domestic violence is not acceptable. But there are mindless idiots out there who will lap this up and think it is funny and acceptable... It's a fact.

You mean like the way kids play GTA then go on killing sprees? Or watch south park and beat up jews? Or read the contents of AH then go buy coke and whores?

Fck sake... Those that don't see the line between reality and entertainment are a tiny minority with underlying issues that will be set off anyway, it is not up to the entertainment industry to curb their actions, they couldn't do it if they tried anyway.

Ste_D wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that people will start beating their partners because they saw it on a cartoon and now they think its ok??

Seriously?

Not at all, I'm saying there are women that have a distorted view of what they are accepting from a violent relationship brought on by, fear of their partner, who cannot get out of the situation because of that fear...

It is a absolutely stupid assumption to make that someone will start to beat their partner as a result of watching any type of media...

But it is proven that there are men/women who find this psychopathic behaviour totally acceptable because they are deranged and have issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Yes I agree normally 'Family Guy' is funny but in this situation it's not... Suppose they can't get it right all the time, but they should know the difference, or is Seth just pushing for controversy? Who knows, but in principle, I think the psychologist has a point, and i can see it.

its taking the piss in one episode quagmire had naked women in his garage
    i love that episode but as yet i have never held naked women captive

But it is proven that there are men/women who find this psychopathic behaviour totally acceptable because they are deranged and have issues.

And this is relevant to the portrayal of abusive actions in entertainment programs how?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

The psychologist has acknowledged the fact that Family Guy is a cutting satire, the point she is making is that they have pushed the issue too far.

They have done this by making the victim look like she is accepting her boyfriends behaviour by the fact he is out of work and blaming foreigners, a situation that is actually happening in America and around the world for real.

It's not funny...

Yes they kill him off and the rest of it but that is a measure too late, the damage has already be done in the girlfriends defending of the 'sociopathic' boyfriend.

I dont think people will find domestic violence acceptable by watching this. The girlfriend who is getting beat finds it acceptable in Family guy, which is why there making her out to be stupid. Not everyone who is a victim of domestic violence is stupid, but some are. Have some accountability is the message IMO.

• Advertisement

You mean like the way kids play GTA then go on killing sprees? Or watch south park and beat up jews? Or read the contents of AH then go buy coke and whores?

Fck sake... Those that don't see the line between reality and entertainment are a tiny minority with underlying issues that will be set off anyway, it is not up to the entertainment industry to curb their actions, they couldn't do it if they tried anyway.

Never mentioned any of those things, you are drawing your own conclusions on those... We are talking about a specific thing, start another thread for them if you feel it necessary.

Agreed, but these are neither brought on, nor worsened by watching cartoons on telly.

I dont think people will find domestic violence acceptable by watching this. The girlfriend who is getting beat finds it acceptable in Family guy, which is why there making her out to be stupid. Not everyone who is a victim of domestic violence is stupid, but some are. Have some accountability is the message IMO.

Also a fair point...

But on the point you have highlighted, There are sociopathic people who have relationships that will sit back and laugh at this woman being beaten and call a woman a stupid bitch like the boyfriend character in the cartoon, Beavis and Butthead type 'eh dude' characters...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

All this from this over used cartoon gag?

where was all this outrage when meg (daughter) beat up peter(father)?

or does that not matter because it was the daughter doing the beating?

or when Meg (daughter) slept with Chris (her brother) in that closet? :confused:

they have done this joke and worse numerous times

and anyway its a cartoon its not real!

Ste_D wrote: »
    Agreed, but these are neither brought on, nor worsened by watching cartoons on telly.

True but it's just not funny, which is what the satire is supposed to be, hence a step too far...

its taking the piss in one episode quagmire had naked women in his garage
    i love that episode but as yet i have never held naked women captive

Yes Quagmire can be laughed at cause he is portrayed as a wanker, and that is funny...

And this is relevant to the portrayal of abusive actions in entertainment programs how?

We are discussing 1 program, 1 episode of a family guy, 1 particular part of this program....

So it isn't relevant....

True but it's just not funny, which is what the satire is supposed to be, hence a step too far...

But humour is subjective, I don't find it funny either, but that doesn't mean it's not funny, just not my kind of funny. There's a lot of shock humour I don't see the value in, but I still recognise it for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

From what i've seen of Family Guy, it went too far by merely existing.
    I don't think i've ever seen a clip from it that is even remotely funny.

We are discussing 1 program, 1 episode of a family guy, 1 particular part of this program....

So it isn't relevant....

*facepalm* do you really think what you're saying or are you just trying to troll me? Let's ask that again, how is it relevant to the portrayal of abuse in this particular show, in this particular instance?

• Advertisement

*facepalm* do you really think what you're saying or are you just trying to troll me? Let's ask that again, how is it relevant to the portrayal of abuse in this particular show, in this particular instance?

The woman is pushed out the door, in front of several people, and is called a fat stupid bitch, then is seen apologising for the sociopathic boyfriend, with a black eye, which if you have seen them, (they're not funny) in a comedy way, which is very similar to victims of domestic violence... The victim often sees themselves as the problem rather than the overbearing, psychopathic, controlling dickhead of a partner! Can you honestly point out the humour in that scenario...??

Facepalm my arse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Quagmire spiked a girls drink and then dragged her unconscious body off to have sex with it...I don't remember the outrage.

Quagmire spiked a girls drink and then dragged her unconscious body off to have sex with it...I don't remember the outrage.

Think its cuz today is a slow news day!! :)

The woman is pushed out the door, in front of several people, and is called a fat stupid bitch, then is seen apologising for the sociopathic boyfriend, with a black eye, which if you have seen them, (they're not funny) in a comedy way, which is very similar to victims of domestic violence... The victim often sees themselves as the problem rather than the overbearing, psychopathic, controlling dickhead of a partner! Can you honestly point out the humour in that scenario...??

Facepalm my arse!

Eh, do you read before you post? That doesn't answer the question.

I've already said I don't find it funny, I don't find any of that ridiculous show funny, but others do, so you can't play the humour card, I don't find Seinfeld funny either, but it also was a very successful comedy. Where humour is concerned, it doesn't bloody well matter what the individual thinks. Back to the question, what is the relevance of this;
    it is proven that there are men/women who find this psychopathic behaviour totally acceptable because they are deranged and have issues.

Their issues have nothing to do with this show, they exist whether the show does or not, whether controversial things are aired or not, the argument of people being incited, or validated by this or any other display of violence in entertainment just doesn't fly.

Eh, do you read before you post? That doesn't answer the question.

I've already said I don't find it funny, I don't find any of that ridiculous show funny, but others do, so you can't play the humour card, I don't find Seinfeld funny either, but it also was a very successful comedy. Where humour is concerned, it doesn't bloody well matter what the individual thinks. Back to the question, what is the relevance of this;

Fair enough, I placed my name at the bottom of your post for this comment already, have a look
    Their issues have nothing to do with this show, they exist whether the show does or not, whether controversial things are aired or not, the argument of people being incited, or validated by this or any other display of violence in entertainment just doesn't fly.

My replies are to the thread title... A Step Too Far, that is all....

I already made it clear that I was talking only about this thread....
    Nothing else, so what are you going on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

If people are reacting to a Family Guy gag like this I truely am terrified of what the world will be like in 10 years.

If people are reacting to a Family Guy gag like this I truely am terrified of what the world will be like in 10 years.

I'm terrified by the thoughts of what the people watching CSI are like now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Hey I have a question for you. Why are you still here????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

It's not funny...

Agree completely. It was funny in Father Ted though.

• Advertisement

Agree completely. It was funny in Father Ted though.

Never saw it...

Advertisement