Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family guy gone to far? or P.C brigade moaning for nothing.

Options
  • 02-11-2011 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

I didn't see it all myself but what do you make of the clips they showed?

Did family guy go to far?

Or is it just the bleeding heart brigade out in force again?

http://youtu.be/-7Pr0Gs5Fu0

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Summarise? Can't stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Wait....... is that all they did?

Haven't these people ever seen Family Guy before? Or anything other than Loose Women?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

There's always going to be someone finding a problem with something. It's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

any chance of a summary for mobile users?

Dudess wrote: »
    Summarise? Can't stream.

Character called "Brenda" says her and her husband (who is beside her) will be stay with the Griffins for as long as they like.

Husband over reacts and verbally abuses her a little. He then drags her toward the door and pushes her out the door and calls her some nasty names like "fat, ugly bitch".

In another episode she has a black eye and makes excuses for him........... like happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

The usual **** that happens when any comedy show throws in a semi-serious moment.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Summarise? Can't stream.

Character called "Brenda" says her and her husband (who is beside her) will be stay with the Griffins for as long as they like.

Husband over reacts and verbally abuses her a little. he then pushes her out the door and calls her some nasty names like "fat, ugly bitch"
    Is it just a clip from FG so? I thought there were people being outraged?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Jesus its only a cartoon haha :) The episode showed Quagmires Sister Getting beat up by her bf :/
    If someone is offended by this episode there clearly not old enough to watch it lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

phasers wrote: »

Domestic violence, he hits her, calls her names,gives her a black eye she makes excuses for him.

MrStuffins wrote: »

Husband over reacts and verbally abuses her a little. He then drags her toward the door and pushes her out the door and calls her some nasty names like "fat, ugly bitch".
    thanks!

Not only is that nothing especially offensive, I'm fairly sure that Family Guy have done that exact joke already.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cartoon violence, horrifying.

He's got nothing on that evil coyote, always bullying roadrunner like that :(

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭boblong

Vid is some news show acting outraged at said FG episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Oh God, the analysis from the trout-mouthed Doctor lady made me queasy.

Then the host of SHOWBIZ TONIGHT calls it 'a depressing half-hour of television'.

Jebus.

Sorry

The clip in the OP is from a news show asking did they go too far.

In summary, neither the presenter nor the "expert" actually said they went too far. Presenter said it was "30 minutes of depressing tv" and the expert said they "missed the mark" when addressing domestic abuse as satire.

It's a non story really

• Registered Users Posts: 9,022 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Nothing worth mentioning therein. Judging just from the "two particularly bad clips" in the youtube link, it seems as though the Family Guy crew are using their popularity to draw attention to an often ignored problem.
    The episode may not have been funny, true, but it did get a message across.
    If they were complaining the episode wasn't funny then one could understand, but... meh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Summarise? Can't stream.

They did an episode about a women that was being beaten by her boyfriend. It featured Family Guy style jokes in it.

The two scenes they showed in the news report there as examples of the worst of it weren't particularly over the top of anything, tame by Family Guy standards in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

thats the whole point, if you take it out of context its bad but if you watch the show its just another episode :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I am totally watching this episode. I normally wouldn't but seeing as it has annoyed so many people and they have made the foolish error of giving it the oxygen of free publicity, I think I'll have to watch it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Americans love stupid shít to get excited about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Being brief it basically shows quagmires sister getting beat up by her boyfriend, People are giving out Family guy got it wrong by making fun of the victim (which is the sister) more than the bad guy.

They say its making her look stupid for staying with him and constantly making excuses for his behavior towards her. They reckon domestic violence is not that simple. That's all i really no i didn't see the whole thing, but if there the worst bits he could pick out for that news clip then i think the whole uproar is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

OP, it doesn't bother me particularly - I think it's crass but it doesn't outrage me. However, why would a person who has a problem with it (their choice) automatically be a member of the mythical PC/bleeding heart brigade? Maybe they just, you know, have a problem with domestic violence being made light of?

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

Eh, have these people seen Southpark??. Southpark would pee all over that for shocks..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Adult program?.. no?

I've seen worse in movies. How about the likes the Halloween movie by Rob Zombie and the husband in the wheelchair.

That's only one example, but it's only for show, a bloody script. It happens in real life... unfortunately.

Just a slow news day I reckon, because this joke has been made in tons of programmes before. They did this exact story in American Dad a couple of years ago, except it was between a gay alien and a little kid.

And that weird 'mr Queermo' guy from South Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

its just a daytime show selling adverts.....

next :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

thanks!

Not only is that nothing especially offensive, I'm fairly sure that Family Guy have done that exact joke already.

Yeah but wasn't that domestic violence from a woman to a black man?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Artur Foden

Seemed pretty tame for family guy. Can't forget this classic scene:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

If people who thought that was bad seen South Parks Indiana Jones rape bits their heads would explode.

Yeah but wasn't that domestic violence from a woman to a black man?
    Yeah, PC groups in America seem to have no problem with female domestic abuse. How about when Lois smashed peter over the head with a frying pan? Or when Marge Simpson raped Homer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Watched it, was a decent episode.

People are horribly over-reacting to the episode, and I also agree with what they do to the boyfriend :P

Advertisement