Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Bike Scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭bennyl10

nrsire wrote: »
    I don't know about Connolly as I always arrive in Heuston which is a lovely station and definitely is a different type of crowd around compared to Colbert so I wouldn't say all stations tend to attract a bad crowd.

I agree Dublin is rough too but it feels a lot more concentrated in Limerick... just my opinion. :)

You mean the Heuston that you can't walk outisde without being asked for change,or a junkie threatening to stab you?.. The Heuston WITH FULL TIME SECURITY WEARING STAB VESTS?
    Jaysus you're very biased.. Walk down Abbey/O connel/Merrion Square/top.of Grafton, theryre a lot worse than here.. I'm in dublin every second week and it is a hundred times worse than Limerick.. Limerick an awful lot safer at night than any part of Dublin city too

You must live in a very big bubble is all I can say..

To get back.on.topic, seen a lot of the bikes around town today, they seem.to be being used quite well.. Also.the say they're attached to the stands seems very theft proof..
    Used one myself, thought it was very nice, bit heavy as said above, but all in all a great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Finally got spin on one today, they're kinda heavy by comparison to my regular bike, will take a small bit of getting used to. Dead handy for a spin up town at lunch time.
    I also cracked my shin against the yoke on the frame that locks it to the station. I'm smart me!
    I registered with a Visa Credit, so I didn't see anything of the pre-authorisation showing up.

I was just saying the other day the Dublin Bikes have some weight in them. Try having to lift one onto a path or up stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I tried one out last night going to and coming from the office Christmas party.

Fairly good for knocking ten minutes off a journey, but there certainly aren't enough stations online yet to make them all that useful.

It's hard to see how they'll make money, as I can't see how anybody would need them for more than 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Any chance of renaming the thread to Limerick Bike Scheme?

Mc Love wrote: »

A few people have asked, but moderators remain silent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

zulutango wrote: »

They might all be out riding the bikes .....

..... sorry, I'll get my coat !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭bazzer86

nrsire wrote: »
    Really? I have never seen the likes of the roughness in Limerick anywhere else in the country ... I feel the second I arrive in Colbert station there are druggies and alcos and rough types everywhere ... There is definitely the same crowd in Dublin for sure but I don't encounter them much, maybe because they get lost among the large population...

I live in Rathmines and work in Merrion Square, I grew up on lower Church Road Raheen near Mungret School :)

You are talking complete and utter rubbish. Limerick and Dublin are both great cities and sure they both have their problems, but by the sounds of your over exaggerations, you are making Limerick out to be like Bogota. Its a very positive thing for Limerick, and i'm sure it will be a major success in the city, especially when it is expanded out to the university and the Crescent. People had concerns over Dublin bikes and vandals etc, which turned out to be completely untrue.

I suspect you are making your best efforts to get a reaction from people, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Fairly good for knocking ten minutes off a journey, but there certainly aren't enough stations online yet to make them all that useful.

It's hard to see how they'll make money, as I can't see how anybody would need them for more than 30 minutes.

The service is funded by advertising... the charges to the customers are designed to encourage short term usage and to add a weight of gravity/responsibility to users... if people use them for short stints, it frees up the service for other users and makes the scheme more successful.

Its a social and cultural scheme to make the city more accessible and has great cultural benefits, such as health benefits, transport benefits, retail and commercial benefits...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

No problem Sir/Madam. That has been changed :D

We don't get time to read everything!! Report the post/thread OP and that will send a notification to the Mods, that's the easiest way to reach us.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 nrsire

bazzer86 wrote: »
    You are talking complete and utter rubbish. Limerick and Dublin are both great cities and sure they both have their problems, but by the sounds of your over exaggerations, you are making Limerick out to be like Bogota. Its a very positive thing for Limerick, and i'm sure it will be a major success in the city, especially when it is expanded out to the university and the Crescent. People had concerns over Dublin bikes and vandals etc, which turned out to be completely untrue.

I suspect you are making your best efforts to get a reaction from people, fair play.

Why would I be looking for a reaction, because I have an opposing view that you aren't comfortable with?

I spent 21 years in Limerick, I think that is a long enough time for me to be able to make my own observations and judgements about the place based on my own experiences and time there without being told that they are wrong.

There is so much more I could say but I won't because obviously this isn't the place to say it...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Mod: Enough of the bickering. Please get back on to the original topic.

They're not making money they're funded by the NTA and sponsorship.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

766 people signed up as of Wednesday according to the Leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭what_traffic

766 people signed up as of Wednesday according to the Leader.

That's impressive.

Anybody know what the story with the locks is? The locks weren't there the other day but now they are. There doesn't seem to be a way of getting the combination either, and the phone number that is provided isn't in operation ..

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Anybody know what the story with the locks is? The locks weren't there the other day but now they are. There doesn't seem to be a way of getting the combination either, and the phone number that is provided isn't in operation ..

You're supposed to get the combo at the terminal when you unlock the bike. I'm guessing they're having a few teething problems. I put one back at john's castle and it showed as headford rd galway on my account. Good going in about 5 mins, Pery sq to galway!

Ha!! Well done, Elf!

I've tried it again since I wrote that message and this time it gave me a combination as I checked the bike out. The combination was 0000 so I thought better of using it :)

I'd really love to know when the other five stations are coming on stream as there's supposed to be one right outside my house!

oh ... another thing ...

I just logged in to bikeshare.ie and had a look over the journeys that I've already taken. They're quite inaccurate. According to the site, it took me zero seconds to get from Arthur's Quay to O'Callaghan Strand today, which was quite impressive, and it took 19 minutes to get from O'Callaghan Strand to the Milk Market which I'd have crawled faster.

This isn't a big deal for now but if it inaccurately records journey durations then people may end up getting charged even though they have the bike out for less than 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

oh ... another thing ...

I just logged in to bikeshare.ie and had a look over the journeys that I've already taken. They're quite inaccurate. According to the site, it took me zero seconds to get from Arthur's Quay to O'Callaghan Strand today, which was quite impressive, and it took 19 minutes to get from O'Callaghan Strand to the Milk Market which I'd have crawled faster.

This isn't a big deal for now but if it inaccurately records journey durations then people may end up getting charged even though they have the bike out for less than 30 minutes.

You'd crawl from O'Callaghan Strand to the Milk Market faster than 19 minutes - got to see that

• Registered Users Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭phog

Can someone who's registered or used the bikes tell me, is the first half hour free for the first 30 mins of each trip or is it you get a free 30 mins each day.

• Advertisement

You'd crawl from O'Callaghan Strand to the Milk Market faster than 19 minutes - got to see that

I've done my share of crawling around Limerick City :)

phog wrote: »
    Can someone who's registered or used the bikes tell me, is the first half hour free for the first 30 mins of each trip or is it you get a free 30 mins each day.

First 30 minutes of each trip. So, once you check it out from a station you must return it to another station (or the same one) within 30 minutes if you don't want to be charged.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

There's two stations on the map that I'm waiting for, one outside my kid's school and one near my workplace. Will be very handy when they're built.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭W86indow

Biggest pile of **** to hit limerick again ... Does anyone plan anything proper in this city can anyone tell me...???? You cant go further than oconnell street with these bloody bikes!!! Okay mary i --- but why the hell are these bikes not in the cresent shopping centre /raheen industial estate The universty of limerick and thomond park?????? Coonagh cross and childers road where people who work study and need to do shopping can access a bike??? Are they just for tourists for the craic like? think its rediculous where they are situated honestly i wouldnt register for them cause i wouldnt feel safe unless i could check it back in to a proper holder so i wont be cycling from town to the cresent anytime soon honestly feel the situations of these bikes have been wasted

As was stated before the scheme can easily be expanded as has been the case for Dublin which is finishing it's third phase of expansion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

W86indow wrote: »
    Biggest pile of **** to hit limerick again ... Does anyone plan anything proper in this city can anyone tell me...???? You cant go further than oconnell street with these bloody bikes!!! Okay mary i --- but why the hell are these bikes not in the cresent shopping centre /raheen industial estate The universty of limerick and thomond park?????? Coonagh cross and childers road where people who work study and need to do shopping can access a bike??? Are they just for tourists for the craic like? think its rediculous where they are situated honestly i wouldnt register for them cause i wouldnt feel safe unless i could check it back in to a proper holder so i wont be cycling from town to the cresent anytime soon honestly feel the situations of these bikes have been wasted

Coonagh Cross and Raheen Industrial Estate will probably never get bikes and rightly so too if you ask me. It's a city scheme and should be for the city and not the suburbs or shopping centres on the edge of them.

As for "proper holders", the docking points are fairly secure and safe.

There's already secure bike parking available free of charge in town if you want to bring your own bike from Dooradoyle to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭phog

This is no different than any other city in Ireland, all were launched around the city centre.

Well i hope they expand it??? Who wants to cycle around the city in a circle for godsake bikes are a mode of transport and should be used like so not a gimmick which this is . I was excited wen i saw the holders up there on clare street assumed i could cycle 20 mins out to UL but no im sure theres people who thought they cud cycle to work too like out to raheen .... No i cant afford a bike atm so ive been walkin and busing it but i wud have liked the opportunity to register for 5e n get use out of it... And there is no wayy id use a regular lock on them bikes anywhere you have to pay 150e minimum to replace the bike if it gets stolen and i love my city but mon now most robbed item in limerick????
    All dem bikes are like .5km away from each other !! Useless unless your a tourist arsin around the city

All dem bikes are like .5km away from each other !! Useless unless your a tourist arsin around the city

I used them three times today and a few times in the last few days. Not a tourist and I live in the city.

• Advertisement

Wow? Fascinating where did you go? From the top of o connell street ti the bottom gimme a break....

Advertisement