Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Firm Milk Rounds 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭crystalmice

Pretty sure interviews and hiring are done for the LK Shields april-july internship, apply in early june for the july-september slot would be my advice as everyone at interview seemed to have applied within a few weeks of the of the interviews (there was one on this week, but apparently some of the april interns were already hired, and some people there were interviewing for september internships too)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

birdie89 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard anything positive from LK shields? I have still only received confirmation of my application...

One of my friends got in alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭DeSourire

Hi all,

I have never heard of internships with LK Shields I have only heard of their traineeships and as far as I am aware need to have your FE1s done to apply for that. Is there an internship in addition to this? Would someone fill me in, I'd appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭birdie89

DeSourire wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have never heard of internships with LK Shields I have only heard of their traineeships and as far as I am aware need to have your FE1s done to apply for that. Is there an internship in addition to this? Would someone fill me in, I'd appreciate it.

they run a number of internships throughout the year in addition to their training contract. however, to be able to apply for their training contract you dont need to have your FE1s done. But they need to be done before you start in Blackhall and I presume their office.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭crystalmice

Hi all,

They have three internship cycles a year, its on the website somewhere, I think under recruitment. The great thing about them is that the (paid) internships are 3 months long, and apparently some interns end up staying on longer (in contrast to the usual 1 month placement in the big 5 et al). about half their trainee intake comes from the internship programme (afaik), so its well worth applying for! I think the do give internships if you dont have fe1s finished but its better if you have some of them done when you apply, even just the first 3.

• Advertisement

they run a number of internships throughout the year in addition to their training contract. however, to be able to apply for their training contract you dont need to have your FE1s done. But they need to be done before you start in Blackhall and I presume their office.

Thanks Birdie89, I appreciate it. Is there anywhere I can get additional info on their internships as there does not seem to be anything on their website? It seems from this thread that they run for a couple of months at different stages of the year. But I'd like to know if they are paid or not etc (not that it really matters!).

Thanks Crystalmice-you just got in before me!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

Lockstep wrote: »
    I got rejected as well: I'll be starting an LLM in September. They said I had amazing grades and extracurriculars but I'd be unable to start with them due to the masters and asked me to reapply once I got the LLM.

That is a very encouraging rejection Lockstep, so definitely apply to them again next year. Is the LLM your first Masters?

Thanks Birdie89, I appreciate it. Is there anywhere I can get additional info on their internships as there does not seem to be anything on their website? It seems from this thread that they run for a couple of months at different stages of the year. But I'd like to know if they are paid or not etc (not that it really matters!).

Yes they are paid, as far as I can recall from the ad. They must have taken down the info about the internships recently. They had 4 programmes running, starting in January.

colonel1 wrote: »
    That is a very encouraging rejection Lockstep, so definitely apply to them again next year. Is the LLM your first Masters?

Aye, it's the first masters I went for. I wasn't beat up about it as it was a very nice/encouraging/personalised PFO and I'd be starting the LLM before the internship finished so I can understand their concerns.

They sound like really sound employers at any rate which is good news for those who get in.

• Advertisement

Aye, it's the first masters I went for. I wasn't beat up about it as it was a very nice/encouraging/personalised PFO and I'd be starting the LLM before the internship finished so I can understand their concerns.

Yes their pfo letters are very nice. I would have liked to intern there, so I didn't handle the rejection all that well....ahem.

You, on the other hand, have a sensible attitude Lockstep:D

What kind of extracurriculars do you have, if you don't mind me asking?

I wouldn't mind doing an LLM, but I don't have the cash at the moment, alas! Good luck with yours:-) Hope you have the FE1s out of the way...they are pretty tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭JLex

hello, was told by bw hr that they will be calling re interviews for the intern program at the begining of the week. did anybody get a call??!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭moonbino

juliach wrote: »
    hello, was told by bw hr that they will be calling re interviews for the intern program at the begining of the week. did anybody get a call??!

...Or heard anything from the any of the top ten? Dying to know where I stand :-)

Yes their pfo letters are very nice. I would have liked to intern there, so I didn't handle the rejection all that well....ahem.
    Yeah, I was lucky in that respect, I had the LLM to fall back on so even rejection doesn't bother me much, If I was out looking for work I'd probably be fairly cut up about it!

What kind of extracurriculars do you have, if you don't mind me asking?
    I have a few, I've been involved with the army reserves for a few years, was elected to the SU in my university and have been active with politics, debating, charity and boxing societies. Nothing too amazing though!
    I wouldn't mind doing an LLM, but I don't have the cash at the moment, alas! Good luck with yours:-) Hope you have the FE1s out of the way...they are pretty tough!
    Yeah, I hear that. I'm taking out a loan for it (unless my scholarship application pays off) as I'd see an LLM as investment but I'm still in my early 20s so not in any mad rush!

No FE1s done so far, I'm still not dead set on a career as a solicitor which is a reason I'm interested in the internship, to see what the job is like!

Yeah, I was lucky in that respect, I had the LLM to fall back on so even rejection doesn't bother me much, If I was out looking for work I'd probably be fairly cut up about it!

Too true Lockstep:D

I have a few, I've been involved with the army reserves for a few years, was elected to the SU in my university and have been active with politics, debating, charity and boxing societies. Nothing too amazing though!

The army reserves, wow that is cool. How does one get into the army reserves (formerly the FCA)? As you can tell from my boards name, I am interested in all things military. I wanted to join the army when I was younger, but wasn't the regulation height!

I used to do debating at school (but that was a very long time ago, so I didn't put that down on the CV. I also did charity walks, again years ago!

Yeah, I hear that. I'm taking out a loan for it (unless my scholarship application pays off) as I'd see an LLM as investment but I'm still in my early 20s so not in any mad rush!

Lol. are the banks giving out loans these days? I know you have to get a guarantor for any loans over 2,000 Euro, which can be a pain. I have been thinking of the LLM in TCD for a while. Good luck with your scholarship application though!

No FE1s done so far, I'm still not dead set on a career as a solicitor which is a reason I'm interested in the internship, to see what the job is like!

Yes, the internship is a good idea for that especially as it is a 3 month one, which is great experience. I have 5 FE1s but no legal experience yet. But fingers crossed, someone will take a chance on the colonel:D

One of my friends got in alright.

Wow, did they get an internship? Or were they called to an interview for one?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭moonbino

PFO from AC :-( :-( :-(

moonbino wrote: »
    PFO from AC :-( :-( :-(

Sorry to hear that Moonbino! I got one too:-). Did they invite you to apply for the TC in October perchance? Very nicely worded pfo!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ClearlyClear

Got the PFO from Arthur Cox today, really nicely worded, "We would be delighted if you would consider applying for our Trainee Programme......
    Please be assured that the fact that we were unable to ask you to join us at this stage reflects the size of our Summer Programme only and not the quality of your application"

Does everyone get this ?

Anyone heard from MOP yet ??

Got the PFO from Arthur Cox today, really nicely worded, "We would be delighted if you would consider applying for our Trainee Programme......
    Please be assured that the fact that we were unable to ask you to join us at this stage reflects the size of our Summer Programme only and not the quality of your application"

Does everyone get this ?

Snap:-)

Anyone heard from MOP yet ??

Not yet!

• Advertisement

Mop will be holding their interviews on the 29th pfos to be send next weeek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Mop will be holding their interviews on the 29th pfos to be send next weeek

Does that mean that if we havent heard about an interview yet we should expect a PFO?

Also,
    PFO from Cox as above.

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Does that mean that if we havent heard about an interview yet we should expect a PFO?

Also,
    PFO from Cox as above.

Sorry about your pfo from Ac, got mine this morning too :(

i think MOP will be sending pfos and calling succesful ppl next week. the interview is due on the 29th for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭birdie89

Sorry about your pfo from Ac, got mine this morning too :(

i think MOP will be sending pfos and calling succesful ppl next week. the interview is due on the 29th for sure.

Do you know if MOP are using the phone interview again for their first round summer internships? of is it a face to face interview straight away?

Do you know if MOP are using the phone interview again for their first round summer internships? of is it a face to face interview straight away?

Sorry Birdie89 dont know anything else, was only told the date of the interview and when will Mop let ppl know

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

Got a PFO from AC. Nicely worded, though one of my friends who has been shortlisted for the WIP didn't get it either, so standard must be exceptionally high. Gulp :(

Ashashi wrote: »
    Got a PFO from AC. Nicely worded, though one of my friends who has been shortlisted for the WIP didn't get it either, so standard must be exceptionally high. Gulp :(

What is the WIP? Just curious:-) The standard is exceptionally high. Too many applicants too few jobs! Despite this law is proving to be a popular choice again with CAO applicants. More rivals in the pipeline;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 t2340

I am beginning to think that Arthur Cox use leaving cert results as a way to filter applications as I know a lot of people with very good grades but points would be about 520 there abouts, perhaps there is a 550 or above requirement! Hard to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

What is the WIP?

Washington Ireland Programme, I assume

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

t2340 wrote: »
    I am beginning to think that Arthur Cox use leaving cert results as a way to filter applications as I know a lot of people with very good grades but points would be about 520 there abouts, perhaps there is a 550 or above requirement! Hard to know!
    Don't think that's their filter - my Leaving is only 520, and I got invited to the group interviews for AC.
    That said, though, they did >specifically< ask for LC results, so they could well be taking them into account.

Advertisement