Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heineken Cup - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,137 ✭✭✭✭phog

The QF for Munster V Ulster is already confirmed for Thomond Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

tolosenc wrote: »
    Where would Clermont play a semi, does anyone know?

Joe Schmidt seems to think it's St. Etienne
    “First and foremost we’re delighted to be in the Quarter Finals of the Heineken Cup and to achieve a home tie, given the group we managed to progress out of, is a fine achievement by the team. As events unfolded across Europe over the last few days it was difficult to second guess who we would be playing, but now we know that we’re going to be facing Cardiff Blues in the Aviva Stadium and we know that we’re going to be in for a real battle.
    “We’re down to the last eight and we will need to go up another level because Cardiff will travel to Dublin in high spirits after their performances over the group stages. We were lucky to get a win in Cardiff City Stadium a few weeks ago and they didn't bring a full strength side when we faced them in the RDS earlier this year, so with a few players to come back into their side they will be formidable opponents.

"Cardiff were in control of the Pool and though missed out on a home quarter final, you could see their disappointment. They had a huge win away to Racing-Metro 92 in the Pool stages and to gain 21 points and not win their Pool is extremely unlucky from their point of view.

"Cardiff are a hugely impressive side; well coached with a physical set of forwards up front and a lot of skill and pace out wide and they have been well served by a number of All Blacks in their ranks who I would personally know well. Given our familiarity in the PRO12, we will know to expect a tough game on Easter weekend, but that’s what knockout rugby is all about.

“It is great for our supporters that we will have a chance to play in the Aviva Stadium; a home from home for the province which has served the team well in recent times. Our loyal followers who travel in such large numbers week in, week out are rewarded with a home tie and with the larger stadium this means that we are able to facilitate even more supporters to attend the game.

If we do manage to win this game that means that we'll maybe travel to either Wembley Stadium or St. Etienne and to be honest if we do get to that stage then we'll be delighted. But we're not looking any further past the Quarter Final."

Source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Lyon have two home games in the week following that weekend, and they'll be in the hunt for Champions League football. They may not be willing to rent out Gerland.

I would think that they'll try to use Saint Etienne's stadium which is a fair bit closer than Lyon. It was one of the grounds used in the RWC in 2007. 35k capacity. Saint Etienne are playing away in the French football league that weekend so it's a strong contender.

EDIT: Damn you, .ak!

Would two quarters be played in Aviva anyway? Would the pitch take that kinda abuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Predictions for the semis:

Munster v Toulouse

Clermont v Leinster

For the final:

Munster v Leinster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

.ak wrote: »
    Joe Schmidt seems to think it's St. Etienne

Source.

Le Chaudron - that should be some atmosphere !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Hmm some intriguing ties...

Munster v Ulster- Shame the two Irish teams must play each other, should be a cracker, I fancy the men from the North to sneak it though..

Leinster v Cardiff- The easiest to call, not gonna delve too much into this, Leinster to win

Edinburgh v Toulouse- Will be close Edinburgh have exceeded expectations thus far and have done mighty to reach the quarters, Toulouse were incredibly close to being eliminated on Friday although you'd feel that they should have a lot more to give yet. They should have too much quality all around the park for the Scots. I'll go for Toulouse but it will be close.

Saracens v Clermont- Clermont have a poor away record in this competition, while Sarries are tough to beat at home. I find this the toughest to call, cold be a score in it. Sarries, just.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Would two quarters be played in Aviva anyway? Would the pitch take that kinda abuse?
    Yeah it would, reason there was talk last year around the QF stages when Ulster and Leinster both would have been home for the semis about moving to Croke Park was because the stadium had to be absolutely perfect for the Europa League final. Thats not the case this year, pitch might not be perfect but there isn't a glamour soccer match on that needs a perfect pretty pitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

CiaranMT wrote: »
    For the final:

Munster v Leinster

That's a game I would dread. Couldn't enjoy anything about it. The build up would be horrible, over the top and see both the fans and the media taking sh*t stirring to new levels. The game would not be a classic. The fall out afterwards in terms of bitching, moaning and gloating would be painful.

Anything but that fixture!

GerM wrote: »
    The build up would be horrible, over the top and see both the fans and the media taking sh*t stirring to new levels. The game would not be a classic. The fall out afterwards in terms of bitching, moaning and gloating would be painful.

Bring it on I say!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That's a game I would dread. Couldn't enjoy anything about it. The build up would be horrible, over the top and see both the fans and the media taking sh*t stirring to new levels. The game would not be a classic. The fall out afterwards in terms of bitching, moaning and gloating would be painful.

Especially as the two teams will more than likely play each other at some stage in the Pro12 playoff/final as well.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Especially as the two teams will more than likely play each other at some stage in the Pro12 playoff/final as well.

and maybe in the B&I final too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I think I would probably just close the forum for a couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Munster - Leinster is the goal.

Of course it would be tough, but no need to get squeamish, thats the beauty of sports rivalries. It would be a ridiculously intense occasion and I'll be delighted to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I think Ulster-Munster is going to be extremely close.
    I think Ulster have the better team - a better pack and more exciting backs, but at Thomond Park I think Munster will shade it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

So Leinster v Munster back to back cup final weekends then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Thats the dream!!

Honestly think it's looking like an all French final this year. Clermont did absolutely everything they had to do to beat Ulster off the park on the weekend. All the dirty tricks. They know what they have to do to get through. I'd be very skeptical about Leinster winning there without key players. Who know what injuries will occur during the 6n either.

Munster are hitting their stride now, but I think it's a step too late and whilst they'll probably hold their own against Ulster in Thomond I can't see them repeating it against Toulouse (as it stands). Toulouse will be seriously looking at themselves after the Gloucester game and will also remember the semi last year all too well.

Here's to hoping I'm wrong though!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Could be three LvM finals in four weeks if you count B&I cup

Am I right in thinking that if Cardiff got their BP try that Leinster's path would've been Edinburgh and then either Cardiff or Sarries away for the semi? (with the same draw that is)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Am I right in thinking that if Cardiff got their BP try that Leinster's path would've been Edinburgh and then either Cardiff or Sarries away for the semi? (with the same draw that is)

What's done is done!

vienne86 wrote: »
    What's done is done!

I know. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I agree. And I couldn't handle it if Munster lost. And without wanting to seem to have a lack of faith in Munster, I think they would lose. I said at the start of the year that a semi-final would be a great achievement. We weren't really expected to get out of the group, beating Ulster will be extraordinarily tough and then we'd have to beat Toulouse if we did. And then Leinster...

And player for player Leinster are a superior side atm...so even though it might seem like being sour, I want Leinster to lose before they get to the final. I could take, albeit very badly, losing to Clermont or someone. But losing to Leinster in such an important game. It'd be 50 times worse than 2009 and that was unbearable.
    I think I would probably just close the forum for a couple of weeks

Good idea :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

With 2 home games for Munster, they have a spot in the final to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭circos

matthew8 wrote: »
    With 2 home games for Munster, they have a spot in the final toulouse.

fixed your post...couldnt avoid the pun! :D

Anyway, gonna be some great games. All up for grabs!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Must say, I was very impressed with Gloucester this year. A young team with good quality players.

tolosenc wrote: »
    Must say, I was very impressed with Gloucester this year. A young team with good quality players.

Should've been beaten by Connacht, twice. Afraid I can't agree with you, even considering the Toulouse result.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭twinytwo

matthew8 wrote: »
    With 2 home games for Munster, they have a spot in the final to lose.

The semi final will prob be played in teh aviva.. this is not a home game.

Tweeted by @ercrugby
    London Calling:Ticketmaster reporting surge in Twickenham Heineken Cup final ticket sales as route to final confirmed. http://pic.twitter.com/pXqi2AqA

Who has booked tickets for the final????

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

No Sarries would of been ahead of cardiff on try count. (not edinburgh)
    So Sarries would then be 3rd and have gotten home to Toulose.
    Cardiff would of then hosted Clermont.

Advertisement