Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BF3 tips, tricks and tutorials

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Eldoco

Hello,

Does anyone have a breakdown of how you unlock certain weapons or at wat level etc you unlock each weapon? I only recently started playing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Battlelog shows you all of that in fairly good detail. Go to your stats then weapons & unlocks

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Battlelog shows you all of that in fairly good detail. Go to your stats then weapons & unlocks

cool thanks ill check it out when i get home

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Eldoco wrote: »
    cool thanks ill check it out when i get home

Can check it on any pc.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Can check it on any pc.

not the work pc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

copeyhagen wrote: »
    good idea, been tryin to get them in karkand, been a nightmare, got the 50 headshots weeks ago and the knife kills, tkain ages for the spot assists, still need about 14. good tip, thanks.

You don't have have to playing as recon to get the spots. I got this very easily just using Q as I usually do.

Some of the assignments seem to have been designed to kind of be mini-tutorials and to get people to try out new things which is great in a game that assumes you've played every game in the series.

The ability to use the F1-6 keys to swap seats in a vehicle makes getting the kills with the DPV jeep a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Alkers

Just unlocked javelin there, is it only antiarmour or antiair also? How/where do I find the laser designater?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

For laser lock-on you need two people, one lasering, the other locking.

There are a few laser designators, the most common is the SOFLAM which is equipment on the Recon class. Depending on whether you've got the necessary vehicle unlocks, tanks and helicopters can also laser targets.

Once someone is lasering a target you'll see a transparent orange box over the vehicle they're aiming at, and you can lock-on for extra damage (should disable a tank in one hit). You can lock on to the orange box, so you don't need clear line of sight to the target.

On its own the javelin is powerful, but slow and sometimes unreliable against moving targets. Also, it can hit only land vehicles or possilby MAVs. However, if there is a laser lock-on, the javelin can hit choppers or jets too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

raze wrote: »
    For laser lock-on you need two people, one lasering, the other locking.

There are a few laser designators, the most common is the SOFLAM which is equipment on the Recon class. Depending on whether you've got the necessary vehicle unlocks, tanks and helicopters can also laser targets.

Once someone is lasering a target you'll see a transparent orange box over the vehicle they're aiming at, and you can lock-on for extra damage (should disable a tank in one hit). You can lock on to the orange box, so you don't need clear line of sight to the target.

On its own the javelin is powerful, but slow and sometimes unreliable against moving targets. Also, it can hit only land vehicles or possilby MAVs. However, if there is a laser lock-on, the javelin can hit choppers or jets too.

What's the story with teaming up with someone? I use recon class a lot, will I just go in with a soflam and lock on to stuff and hope for the best? Or do you go into a game with a mate, one with each. Or get the headset on and tell someone you'll be targeting with the soflam?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Best to do it with a few mates with headsets. You can relay when you've a lock and it gives the targetted very little time to lose the lock.

It's really frustrating at times, you can get countless lock ons and noones equipped the javelin.

BTW if you've all the tank unlocks the CITV station can be very handy for a tank team,. A team of 3 in the tank(support, engie with javelin) can cause some serious hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

best use of recon and soflam is in a squad with 2 engineers with Javelin equipped and a support for ammo/and also if SOFLAM Gets taken out you can get another.

AnCapaillMor can confirm we got warned/asked to leave a server for Javelin spam we did so much damage to heli and tanks. on the losing side off course when we took up the task. still lost round but it slowed opposition dominance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Joeface wrote: »
    best use of recon and soflam is in a squad with 2 engineers with Javelin equipped and a support for ammo/and also if SOFLAM Gets taken out you can get another.

AnCapaillMor can confirm we got warned/asked to leave a server for Javelin spam we did so much damage to heli and tanks. on the losing side off course when we took up the task. still lost round but it slowed opposition dominance.

And they asked you to leave ? Gob****es

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

yes , did we comply no ...i mean really how can you spam with a javelin. RPG maybe mortar maybe also . but Javelin. Javelin requires team work.

Stupid complaint form the admins , can't remember the server name , just that they were really good in the air and they over running us (firestorm I think).The use of 2 Javelins in squad makes all the difference. and there is always some one else on your team picking up lock on as well.

Best thing about SOLFAM is it tags on its own for tanks and apc's only have to control it really when spotting heli . rest of the time you can kill away as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

So, if you have a javelin and you're running around shooting people, will hear some sort of notification if someone is locking on with a SOLFAM? Or do you have to listen to team mates?
    I usually mute all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

You will see an orange diamond with a dot in the centre on any vehicle that is laser designated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

And they asked you to leave ? Gob****es

Aye once we explained to them how stupid they sounded they were actually ok with it and they stayed away from E, well except for some guy named sammy that we killed about 20 times.

You can dodge a javelin in a tank if its coming straight/behind for you. Rarely dodge a side one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Soflams can be a nightmare to spot, it actually gets distracting and you start looking for them constantly instead of playing your normal game after being killed a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Guys, how do you equipped the Mass using the under slug rail when playing assault, can't figure :S

beno619 wrote: »
    Guys, how do you equipped the Mass using the under slug rail when playing assault, can't figure :S

Pick a gun and use the UNDERSLUNG RAIL (not all guns have it) as the attachment the Mass then becomes selectable.

Its attaches to that.

Jigsaw told me that last week :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

Pick a gun and use the UNDERSLUNG RAIL (not all guns have it) as the attachment the Mass then becomes selectable.
    Does this provide any advantage over using a more useful weapon upgrade in that category? I use the M26 reasonably often (and, at times, the M320) but, apart from looking nicer as an underslung weapon, I don't really understand why you would want to use it that way when you could take something like the Foregrip.

Robby91 wrote: »
    Does this provide any advantage over using a more useful weapon upgrade in that category? I use the M26 reasonably often (and, at times, the M320) but, apart from looking nicer as an underslung weapon, I don't really understand why you would want to use it that way when you could take something like the Foregrip.

No idea i used the M320 20 times and no intention of using it again.

Foregrip for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Soflams can be a nightmare to spot, it actually gets distracting and you start looking for them constantly instead of playing your normal game after being killed a few times.
    If you have thermal optics on they are nearly invisible too.

It makes the underslung weapon quicker to swap to, more useful for tight spots with the MASS than M320.

On that note M320 Smoke is great craic on Metro (with Jackhammer :D) and for giving armour panic attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

If you have thermal optics on they are nearly invisible too.

Apparently the MAV can disable equipment, incl SOFLAM, which I didn't know :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

dreamers75 wrote: »
    beno619 wrote: »

Its attaches to that.

Jigsaw told me that last week :pac:

Would have sworn I've tried that already.. Thanks for the help !

Anyone got any tips on how to be better at piloting helicopters? I decided to give them another go (after my first horrid encounter ending in me being upside-down...) - I've gotten to the point where I'm able to fly the thing without turning sideways (\o/), but I'm having some trouble on evading locks, particularly when it comes to using the environment to break locks/block missiles.

I still haven't gotten a handle on weapons yet - I've copped that the I reticle is the one to work with for unguided rockets, but would I be correct in saying that it becomes less accurate as it moves further from the centre crosshair?

Any suggestions on how to keep myself from becoming one with the walls when flying through built-up areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

Anyone got any tips on how to be better at piloting helicopters? I decided to give them another go (after my first horrid encounter ending in me being upside-down...) - I've gotten to the point where I'm able to fly the thing without turning sideways (\o/), but I'm having some trouble on evading locks, particularly when it comes to using the environment to break locks/block missiles.

I still haven't gotten a handle on weapons yet - I've copped that the I reticle is the one to work with for unguided rockets, but would I be correct in saying that it becomes less accurate as it moves further from the centre crosshair?

Any suggestions on how to keep myself from becoming one with the walls when flying through built-up areas?

Practice is your best bet. I'm a pretty decent pilot, even if I say so myself, and it was a miracle I made it out of our uncap the first time I got in. :pac: If you're on PC, use practice servers. If not, you'll have to make do. Get a mate who isn't concerned by his K/D to be your gunner, he can help keep some of the heat off you while you figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Play the co-op mission over and over. Learn how to strike quick and low and then be able to pull up without ploughing into the ground. Takes a while but it is easy enough. Try and play with a mate who doesn't mind having to keep replaying it over and over, and the obvious amount of deaths :P

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭mick-fitz8585

it also helps to have a mouse with different dpi settings so u can have a faster mouse for flying while still having ur ground settings

• Advertisement

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    Practice is your best bet. I'm a pretty decent pilot, even if I say so myself, and it was a miracle I made it out of our uncap the first time I got in. :pac: If you're on PC, use practice servers. If not, you'll have to make do. Get a mate who isn't concerned by his K/D to be your gunner, he can help keep some of the heat off you while you figure it out.
    aaronh007 wrote: »
    Play the co-op mission over and over. Learn how to strike quick and low and then be able to pull up without ploughing into the ground. Takes a while but it is easy enough. Try and play with a mate who doesn't mind having to keep replaying it over and over, and the obvious amount of deaths :P

Thanks for the ideas. Had a decent run earlier on Gulf of Oman, although I wouldn't consider the server to be full of exceptionally good players (to my benefit, I suppose) - got no kills myself, but my gunner managed to get 10 or 15 kills so I don't think I did terribly bad until the SOFLAM targeted me :P

I'd play the co-op mission (only discovered the heli one existed today since my brother hasn't wanted to play co-op) but I haven't found someone I'd like to play with yet.

Also, there are practice servers? Until now, I'd been using empty servers with 1 player start and fast vehicle respawn, but if there's servers out there specifically for practicing with helicopters, I might be able to work on using the weapons as well :D

Advertisement