Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BF3 tips, tricks and tutorials

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Nologogo

With regards to flying the jets or heli's, quite a few people give up as they dont have a chance to level up properly with so many experienced pilots (and all their perks) dominating the sky.

Try to find a decent fly training server (use BSB's - Details here) with one or two other guys. If they arent complete assholes they will take it easy on you and help you out. Most people on those servers are only learning too.

Ive just started to fly jets and it doesnt take you too long to start making kills. I was lucky enough to play on our own fly server with four or five other beginners. We all helped eachother (no charity, but didnt bail out when shot down), no spawn raping and before you know it your getting better.

If anyone is looking for company on the flight server feel free to drop me a PM. I'll spend 60 mins on the server flying around if anyone wants to take a shot at me.

Edit: I do use a Joystick though. Find it easier myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Nologogo wrote: »
    With regards to flying the jets or heli's, quite a few people give up as they dont have a chance to level up properly with so many experienced pilots (and all their perks) dominating the sky.

Try to find a decent fly training server (use BSB's - Details here) with one or two other guys. If they arent complete assholes they will take it easy on you and help you out. Most people on those servers are only learning too.

Ive just started to fly jets and it doesnt take you too long to start making kills. I was lucky enough to play on our own fly server with four or five other beginners. We all helped eachother (no charity, but didnt bail out when shot down), no spawn raping and before you know it your getting better.

If anyone is looking for company on the flight server feel free to drop me a PM. I'll spend 60 mins on the server flying around if anyone wants to take a shot at me.

Edit: I do use a Joystick though. Find it easier myself.

Is there any on the PS3? Only started playing conquest a few days ago and I'm rubbish in the helis and jets. Barely got the jet into the air and was shot down about 5 times! Annoying that it's the only pracitce you get!
    If there any point in doing campagn mode just to get a practice of flying one?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Is there any on the PS3? Only started playing conquest a few days ago and I'm rubbish in the helis and jets. Barely got the jet into the air and was shot down about 5 times! Annoying that it's the only pracitce you get!
    If there any point in doing campagn mode just to get a practice of flying one?
    No training servers on PS3 or 360 AFAIK and you don't get to fly a jet in the campaign either but there is a heli co-op mission you can use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

No training servers on PS3 or 360 AFAIK and you don't get to fly a jet in the campaign either but there is a heli co-op mission you can use.

Cheer, I'll give that a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

That's the way I managed to learn how to fly the heli. If you're a beginner pilot then you'd want a very patient co-op partner as you're likely to smash into the ground, trees, mountain side quite a lot and the other person might just get fed up and leave. If you need someone to play co-op to help get you some training add me: genisis87

• Advertisement

OK so I finally figured out how to hover the F-35, to get it properly into hover mode just slam on the brakes but then you need hold the brakes to hover straight up and release to drop down.
    This might be completely obvious to most people but if you've ever seen the F-35 parked on the side of the carrier in wake fly straight into the water that was me going full throttle to lift off instead of using the brake to hover up and THEN full throttle :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

OK so I finally figured out how to hover the F-35, to get it properly into hover mode just slam on the brakes but then you need hold the brakes to hover straight up and release to drop down.
    This might be completely obvious to most people but if you've ever seen the F-35 parked on the side of the carrier in wake fly straight into the water that was me going full throttle to lift off instead of using the brake to hover up and THEN full throttle :o

So thats how you do it. :pac: I've been going full throttle off the side of the carrier too, only I always managed to get just enough speed going to stay airborne just as the bottom brushed the water.

Speaking of the brakes, this may also be obvious to most people but a useful tactic with the F-35s: If you're in a dog fight and the other pilot is behind you and isn't in a VTOL, stop. He'll have no choice but to fly past you or fly into you. Worst case scenario, you still die but with a little luck you can end up behind him without having to go to the trouble of all those fancy maneuvres.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Zomg Okay wrote: »

Speaking of the brakes, this may also be obvious to most people but a useful tactic with the F-35s: If you're in a dog fight and the other pilot is behind you and isn't in a VTOL, stop. He'll have no choice but to fly past you or fly into you. Worst case scenario, you still die but with a little luck you can end up behind him without having to go to the trouble of all those fancy maneuvres.

Watching Hot Shots again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Watching Hot Shots again?

Never watched it, actually. Just realised I could do this when it occured to me the other team didn't have VTOLs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

If you really want to learn to fly chopper/jet , and are having trouble finding servers in BF3 to accomodate you.... get BF2.

You can set your own server up and fly around all day on your own.
    The controls are identical to BF3 and the choppers handle nearly exactly the same (unlike BC2 which was awful)

I had loads of hours in BF2, so was immediately accustomed to the choppers in BF3. Even seat switching for TV is still possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

That's weird, whenever I get into the F35 I just go full throttle off the side, it dips a bit but gets nowhere near the water :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Same!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

You should be using afterburner in addition to full throttle to take off

SeantheMan wrote: »
    You should be using afterburner in addition to full throttle to take off
    That must be it alright, a couple of times I did make it into the air.

A couple being two :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

whats peoples opinions on using the mav to get ontop of high buildings in the likes of karkand?

at first i was cussing people doing it and using mortar to kill them, but now im loving it tbh. a glitch which hopefully wont be patched!

copeyhagen wrote: »
    whats peoples opinions on using the mav to get ontop of high buildings in the likes of karkand?

at first i was cussing people doing it and using mortar to kill them, but now im loving it tbh. a glitch which hopefully wont be patched!

Its people taking advantage of the environment and equipment. And its me taking advantage of them being stuck on such a small tight space to mortar them to bits :)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

It makes me laugh when you get them. Had some great fun in Strike at Karkand map, using the LAV and destroying the tops of the high rise buildings. Got a quadrouple kill with one shot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

hmm dont know about that one how does it work?

yeh mortar is the ebst method, its fun to see the maps from the highest buildings though :)

@scram easy once you have the mav unlocked for recon.

select it, place on ground beside building, deselect it. jump on top, fly yourself to the top of a building. easy as pie :P

yeh mortar is the ebst method, its fun to see the maps from the highest buildings though :)

select it, place on ground beside building, deselect it. jump on top, fly yourself to the top of a building. easy as pie :P

that sounds the coolest ****ing thing ever lol gotta try that

• Advertisement

Scram wrote: »
    that sounds the coolest ****ing thing ever lol gotta try that

Just make sure someone like me isn't around when you do it... I like to javelin their ass just as they get near the top :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Just make sure someone like me isn't around when you do it... I like to javelin their ass just as they get near the top :D

Shoot the mav when they close to the top.

yeh and they fall and get suicide.. funny.

its class. i play on strike only servers for the most part, 64man. have a good few sneaky snipe spots that arnt very noticeable. not the highest buildings obv.

im tried to do it but couldnt jump on it properly:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Scram wrote: »
    im tried to do it but couldnt jump on it properly:(

Me too. I can land on it but alawyas fall off as soon as I start moving

you jump backwards onto it.

leave enough room so you dont hit the building. but not too much room so you will miss falling onto the building.

theres loads of youtube movies ;)

Me too. I can land on it but alawyas fall off as soon as I start moving

you just use the jump key to move straight up in a straight line, dont try flying around like aladdin

did yous get it to work?

had a great game last night, 20 kills, 1 death. one guy in enemy tank spent the entire game trying to get me, i kept moving higher and higher up the building i was at.. was very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Quick way of getting the 50 spot assists for the L96. Pick a busy metro server, hopefully you're russian and have point b. Place the tugs by the elevator. Got the 50 spots in 5 mins last night.

• Advertisement

good idea, been tryin to get them in karkand, been a nightmare, got the 50 headshots weeks ago and the knife kills, tkain ages for the spot assists, still need about 14. good tip, thanks.

Advertisement