Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BF3 tips, tricks and tutorials

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

'I'll link it when I get home but there is a german server that plays Caspian border 24/7 that is usually empty but allows 1-2 players to move and practice vehicles. Also it's ranked. You can max out your chopper just by flying around with a friend in the other choler capping points for both sides.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ive seen an aircraft training server in the browser too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    'I'll link it when I get home but there is a german server that plays Caspian border 24/7 that is usually empty but allows 1-2 players to move and practice vehicles. Also it's ranked. You can max out your chopper just by flying around with a friend in the other choler capping points for both sides.

i need this. havent a clue how to fly choppers in pc as in all ym bf games i have always ignored them (used to use the jets back in bf2 with joystick)

anyone got any good tips for chopper flying. basics i mean, keys etc. i tried youtube movies, they were all console

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Unfortunately for us chopper lovers, their effectiveness is greatly reduced compared to BF2 and BC2

-A full compliment of rockets will not kill a tank from what I've seen.
    -TV missiles for this purpose, must be unlocked, and it is one of the last unlocks.
    -The fact that maps with choppers , usually have jets/tanks , means that a lot of people are engineers, and can now equip stinger missiles, so half your time will be spent with a lock on sound.

A weapon I have found ridiculously overpowered, is the Shotgun + Holographic + Slugs ....else Flechette ammo. I've gotten many multi-kills with 1 bullet up close. And it is also effective at ranges of up to 100+ yards with the Slug.

We were on a conquest map, and my friend said he could see my blasts from his jet though, it's a pretty devastating weapon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

Dcully wrote: »
    Ive seen an aircraft training server in the browser too.

If you do a search for Aircraft or Practice in the server browser you will see a lot of them.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 53,916 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Any advice for using the tanks

Iv just unlocked the Proximity scan, so that gives an idea how far iv gone

So what advice would you give for the class of a tank?

Some tips for Caspian border on the matter of prioritising which points to cap (try to scream this out in the initial countdown)

Always take A (for USA) or E (for Russia) FIRST Do not do what the moronic team I just played with did and all rush for B

-B is actually strategically the worse point on the map, its open, there are no resources connected and its a bitch to defend as all the other points have different routes to attack it.

Take E or A and then try for D as its the easiest point to defend and offers the best position to attack every other position.

The reason E/A are most important is you get an extra tank for taking them. If you did what my team did and all rush B, the americans race from A to E and get an extra tank. They also get a spawn point behind our lines completely f*cking us head over tails.

C is a good point to take if you are struggling as its hard to retake as vehicles have difficulty getting in there and like D it spawns in a good spot to try for A or E or D. But like B you get nothing for taking it and it should only be taken if D is in enemy hands as it is the best point to stage a counter attack if american. (Russians can actually run a jeep straight to D from their spawn fairly easily)

Best case scenario is if Russian is to rush A with engies/assault while others cap E and then the armour joins the rest at A to contain americans while those at E go for D. Even if americans take B you'll have created a pincer movement with your spawns allowing you to hit them all along their flank and push them at the front.

Vice versa with americans.

For the love of all that is holy though regardless of your side grab your close point first, you need the tank and you dont need the agony of having russians/americans spawning behind you as you try to take D/B/C

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Headshot wrote: »

Ive found keeping some distance is best. Dont ride in like rambo, tanks do make people run for cover but 2 AT soldiers will take you down easily.
    Try and stay in open areas to avoid being c4'd.
    Optics perk is very handy as it allows you to keep greater distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Headshot wrote: »

Avoid using the tank to cap flags, while tempting, just wait until some infantry and let them do the capping, giving them fire support (if you absolutely have to cap, pop smoke when you are on the flag)

Whilst fighting other tanks it can often come down to one shot to decide, so use any tiny bit of cover (hull down behind a bank, also trees are excellent at "catching" enemy tank shells) and go for the weaker parts of the enemy tank, tracks, etc.

If another tank hasn't spotted you, try to flank and get the shot in the back, you can often get a second shot in then as he is frantically trying to traverse the turret.

Once you get better you can hop out between shots and fire off a RPG shot at the other tank and hop back in.

Most important, as the other poster said, is to use distance. Pick off targets at range, open up the sides of buildings, etc.

Personally I love convoying up with other tanks, you can physically use your tank to "cover" them when they get low, as well as providing double the firepower and encouraging other tanks to join and form sweet sweet armoured spearhead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Jet tips:
    Equip radar when unlocked and flares.
    Doesn't really matter about AA missiles as I use the cannon a lot.

1. Always fly higher than your opponent. This allows you to invert and turn extremely quickly to get behind them, once behind them take em out with cannon as they are usually unaware you're behind them until it's too late.
    2. Know where the valleys and mountain ridges are...if locked on release flares and afterburn to the nearest valley/over the nearest mountain ridge to stop the lockon, by this time your flares will have recharged and you'll be able to get back into the map.
    3.If you're being chased by another jet, never ever go high, the amount of times I've taken out jets who headed high while leaving a big slow moving target is unbelievable. Plus you've a lovely silhouette of a grey plane against a nice white sky as opposed to green vegetation where it's harder for you to be picked ou. If you have to go high, hit afterburner and ascend with enough room for you to descend again rapidly. Loop the loops are not a valid tactic..they just make it easier for the enemy jet to shoot you down as they know exactly where you're leading to.
    An extremely valid tactic is to rapidly invert, head for the ground and spin several times to quickly change your direction.
    4. The rudder is your friend, for fast turns decelerate and use rudder as well as roll to bank rapidly.
    5. Lead your targets, watch where you target is heading and aim in front of him..they will always fly into it and it doesn't take much to disable a jet in BF3.
    6. Learn how to work your throttle/afterburner...you will always use both when fighting with another jet. It's very important that you can anticipate your target and know when he's speeding up or slowing down. Which leads you back to point 5.
    7. If you're in trouble head back to where another jet or chopper/AA etc in the hope that they distract your enemy and either he gets shot down or scarpers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Unfortunately for us chopper lovers, their effectiveness is greatly reduced compared to BF2 and BC2

-A full compliment of rockets will not kill a tank from what I've seen.
    -TV missiles for this purpose, must be unlocked, and it is one of the last unlocks.
    -The fact that maps with choppers , usually have jets/tanks , means that a lot of people are engineers, and can now equip stinger missiles, so half your time will be spent with a lock on sound.

A weapon I have found ridiculously overpowered, is the Shotgun + Holographic + Slugs ....else Flechette ammo. I've gotten many multi-kills with 1 bullet up close. And it is also effective at ranges of up to 100+ yards with the Slug.

We were on a conquest map, and my friend said he could see my blasts from his jet though, it's a pretty devastating weapon.

Glad that choppers have been nerfed, they ruined some maps on BC2. I used to have to quit matched when they dominated. Was pointless.

Oh and in case you didnt know

press N to go to a wider frame on your minimap.

and when enemy soldiers fire their weapon and dont have suppression on they will show up on the minimap.

not on 3d spotting but they will on the map. Makes it much easier to find snipers if you zoom out to the middle setting press M to make it full screen and wait until they take another shot at a teammate. Then you got them!

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

For tank, suggest that you remember you have a "boost" button, SHIFT...which really does give the tank some speed.

Also, if you have 1, a DPI changeable mouse.
    If you can set it's highest selectable setting to the max, and use the middle setting for standard infantry, when you get in the tank, you will be able to turn the turret exceptionally quick.

E.g. is the below what I'd use a lot

Set 1 : 400 - when sniping or need to move cursor slowly
    Set 2: 1200 standard
    Set 3: 2000 for tanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Need some help with two things please. How do you get started getting points with the jets? I can drive them fine but can't get kills etc. I think once I get a few upgrades I'll be fine it's just hard with the guns alone.
    Also, how exactly do you get the infantry efficiency achievement. Im fairly new so if someone could explain in simple terms that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

For the jets.. I dunno I'm still trying to get any points.. have 0 so far.. very frustrating!!

Some1 said before that if you can get points by being a medic/support and leaving down health/ammo so squad teams to use! or use AT-mins..
    If your in a jet then you'll get jet points if some1 uses the health/ammo or you get a hit with the AT-mines.. Dunno how true this is thou!!

Infantry achievement:

you need to get four ribbons at least once each.

- Assault Rifle Ribbon (In one round, get 7 kills with Assault Rifles). Use the assault kit, and make sure you are using the primary weapon to get the kills. The starting assault rifles are the M16A3 and AK-74M

- Sniper Rifle Ribbon (In one round, get 7 kills with Sniper Rifles). Use the recon kit, and make sure to use the actual sniper rifle to get the kills. If you are attempting this early on, the guns you will most likely be using are the MK11 MOD 0 and the SVD, depending on if you are on the U.S. team or RU team.

- Light Machine Gun Ribbon (In one round, get 7 kills with Light Machine Guns). Use the support kit and be sure to get the kills with the primary weapon. The starting LMGs are the RPK-74M and the M27 IAR.

- Carbine Ribbon (In one round, get 7 kills with Carbines). Use the engineer kit and be sure to get the kills with the primary weapon. The starting Carbines are M4A1 for the U.S., and the AKS-74U for the RU.

You do NOT need to get all 7 kills without dying to get the ribbon, but they have to be in one round. The achievement will pop as soon as you see the last medal you need pop up mid-round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

hypermuse wrote: »
    For the jets.. I dunno I'm still trying to get any points.. have 0 so far.. very frustrating!!

Some1 said before that if you can get points by being a medic/support and leaving down health/ammo so squad teams to use! or use AT-mins..
    If your in a jet then you'll get jet points if some1 uses the health/ammo or you get a hit with the AT-mines.. Dunno how true this is thou!!

Infantry achievement:

you need to get four ribbons at least once each.

- Assault Rifle Ribbon (In one round, get 7 kills with Assault Rifles). Use the assault kit, and make sure you are using the primary weapon to get the kills. The starting assault rifles are the M16A3 and AK-74M

- Sniper Rifle Ribbon (In one round, get 7 kills with Sniper Rifles). Use the recon kit, and make sure to use the actual sniper rifle to get the kills. If you are attempting this early on, the guns you will most likely be using are the MK11 MOD 0 and the SVD, depending on if you are on the U.S. team or RU team.

- Light Machine Gun Ribbon (In one round, get 7 kills with Light Machine Guns). Use the support kit and be sure to get the kills with the primary weapon. The starting LMGs are the RPK-74M and the M27 IAR.

- Carbine Ribbon (In one round, get 7 kills with Carbines). Use the engineer kit and be sure to get the kills with the primary weapon. The starting Carbines are M4A1 for the U.S., and the AKS-74U for the RU.

You do NOT need to get all 7 kills without dying to get the ribbon, but they have to be in one round. The achievement will pop as soon as you see the last medal you need pop up mid-round.

Thanks, I just needed to the carbine ribbon in the end. Still can't get kills with the jet. Flying is fine but killing is impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Having trouble with the jets myself, just about got the flares unlocked by flying around spotting targets and the odd kill assist, tanks are the only things I have some chance of hitting :(

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

Ugh, the Jets. I'm just not born to fly it seems - have barely mastered the basics. There are helpful YouTube videos of people discussing ways of flying which are certainly helpful to start off if you have trouble keeping them in the air - but there isn't any good way other than practice to get hits with the machine gun.

I finally got my heat seekers last night after 2 days of trying. I found that choppers are the most likely opponents who will take you down, but they're also the targets that are most stationary in the sky. If your teammates do you the favour of spotting a chopper for you, then a straight head-on attack run will let you do damage.

All hits count so long as the chopper doesn't recover from the damage, so if you hit it at all, and someone finishes it from the ground with a stinger you still scrape some points off it for damage done. If you're playing with friends use the mics to ask your squadmates to bring a stinger for this.

Most important is staying up in the sky. For anyone new to jets, the first thing you need to learn after basic controls is when to deploy your flares. There are three types of beep - first there is an intermittent slow beep which sounds when you are in someone's sights. This could be a stinger, a helicopter, another jet, or other anti-air batteries found near deployments. After they have got a lock on you, you will hear a steady solid beep. They can now fire and the rocket will go toward you, but they have not fired while the beep is solid. You shouldn't deploy flares until they have fired - and you'll know that happens when you hear a quick panicked beeping. Once you hear that you deploy flares immediately, and change your flight path.

If you get used to that you'll spend a lot more time in the air.

And remember, if you're not in the air you'll help your airborne teammates a lot if you mark targets for them - not only tanks, but other jets and helicopters. If a jet has the sun behind him on Caspian Border for example, it's almost impossible for you to spot him yourself when you're in the air.

I found these two videos useful to see how you're supposed to stay on a target in a dogfight. Also, while I found it easier to start with to fly with the camera outside the plane, I only ever hit a target when I'm shooting from the cockpit view. If you force yourself to always fly in cockpit view you will gradually get better at staying behind your target long enough to hit him. It complicates things too much to try switching between views during a chase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

For flight practice there are a couple of servers with instant respawn on vehicles, tailored to flight practice. Been using these two for the past 2 days and am well on my way levelling up on the Jet.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/servers/show/f03ac7aa-185c-4de7-bfe4-fefa1745ede1/Multiplay-HP-Soldiers-HPS-Jet-Air-Practice/

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/servers/show/ca24b722-bfa4-4227-a290-1d3087beb18d/TO-TeutonicOrder-Flight-School-min-2-Player-GER/

At the moment I'm running with Rocket Pods and trying vainly to destroy ground targets but they seem fairly underpowered. Have hit tanks multiple times without destroying them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I was playing capture the flag the one were is in an ally way You can drive the humvee right to the other end and block it off then c4 the area lie on a cart and suppress the area for the in tire game :D well nearly... extended mag is needed..

i used the m264 ...

rocket pods work well in rush with proximity scan as you use them to suppress mobs of defenders or attackers. They are not effective against tanks because really they are more for carpet bombing a chokepoint or a wave of attackers and giving support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

I was playing capture the flag the one were is in an ally way You can drive the humvee right to the other end and block it off then c4 the area lie on a cart and suppress the area for the in tire game.

I hate when people do that! :mad:

On several occasions my team has had to go the long way round, walk past the enemy spawn and capture A and B with our backs to the enemy just because some tool blocked the alleyway off with his LAV so he could kill-whore.

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    I hate when people do that! :mad:

On several occasions my team has had to go the long way round, walk past the enemy spawn and capture A and B with our backs to the enemy just because some tool blocked the alleyway off with his LAV so he could kill-whore.

when defending the flag :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

I was playing capture the flag the one were is in an ally way You can drive the humvee right to the other end and block it off then c4 the area lie on a cart and suppress the area for the in tire game :D well nearly... extended mag is needed..

i used the m264 ...
    Not sure how you get away with that, i'd be pounding that area with RPG's and mortars!

Not sure how you get away with that, i'd be pounding that area with RPG's and mortars!

because people don't expect it come on think about it your mid fire fight your thinking about shooting or suppressing not really expecting a humvee to roll up...

i just park it at the gates mind you thats me playing so i could of been lucky but sure try it worse you can get is deeded...

If you're on PC and want a couple of 1000 soft points.

Play 64 player conquest on metro, play assault, and just revive the whole round, you can get 3/4/5 in a row, and throwing a health pack can see a quick 400/500.

Need a big of luck as there are loads reviving, but if you just concentrate on it, you can get tonnes of revives.

I've came near the top a few times and had 0 kills :D

Ive tried resupplying ammo but for some reason I wasn't getting points most of the time, I wonder is it broken :confused:.... very seldom would I pick up 40/50 for a supply even though their are rockets flying all over the place so naturally they'd run out quick.

Ive tried resupplying ammo but for some reason I wasn't getting points most of the time, I wonder is it broken .... very seldom would I pick up 40/50 for a supply even though their are rockets flying all over the place so naturally they'd run out quick.

people were also dying all over the place so they needed to resupply less :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

The Saves it wants to Save to Cloud are you CFG and Load Out Settings for each class and Army.

Deleting them not a great idea.

Advertisement