Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BF3 tips, tricks and tutorials

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

shoot the other team.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Br4tPr1nc3 wrote: »
    shoot the other team.

I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Rezident

What's the best way to fly, is it keyboard + mouse or Joystick or gamepad? Finding flying a jet with k+m very very hard, still on zero points. I've watched some of the tutorials but they seem to be using gamepads?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Ok so I can dogfight in the jets and win and I can usually shake a missile lock but I can't for the life of me shoot anything on the ground whilst flying. Any tips anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Rezident wrote: »
    What's the best way to fly, is it keyboard + mouse or Joystick or gamepad? Finding flying a jet with k+m very very hard, still on zero points. I've watched some of the tutorials but they seem to be using gamepads?:confused:

I'm getting on quite well using just the keyboard. WASD and Standard Arrows. Made an attempt to use a Saitek Joystick I have here but found I still had more control with the keyboard. Have won tons of dogfights this way.
    Ok so I can dogfight in the jets and win and I can usually shake a missile lock but I can't for the life of me shoot anything on the ground whilst flying. Any tips anyone ?

It is quite difficult to be fair. What I am doing is really waiting until I unlock the laser guided missile, which should be good for taking out tanks. Rocket pods are there too but pretty useless against anything other than groups of infantry. Otherwise for ground strafing I fly away and up from the map to an altitude of ~700 before heading for the ground and shooting, pulling up at the last minute usually.

A nice trick I find it to reduce your throttle and don't use afterburners as you are heading for the ground to increase your time to find/shoot a target. If you fly towards the ground at high speed you probably won't hit anything and are fairly likely to crash. Little radio towers and cranes are annoying ways to die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Friends in low places.
    Spotting targets, and maybe a SOFLAM if you are lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Right more tank stuff..

Reactive armor - this takes full damage from rpg's on the sides and back, plus if you repair your tank back to full it will regenerate after a few mins, quite handy for urban maps like Tehran.

When fighting in a tank have an "escape" route, so you can stick it in reverse and get out of a situation, getting stuck against a tiny van or car is just not worth it.

Repairing - wherever you are pointing your gun, that's where you will exit the tank, spin and face backwards to hop out the back of the tank to repair in safety. Same for gunners.

As gunner - don't machine gun other tanks, only gets their attention, just be covering the tank from infantry trying to C4 or rpg, or be repairing.. if he drives off when you are repairing well that's his loss.

If you are shooting an enemy tank, and enemy bolts, kill them, then take their tank (and repair it obviously) Your side is up a tank and they're down one, on a map like Damavand peak its a definite turkey shoot then.

Something nasty locks onto your tank (jet, chopper with guided missile) - just jump out, they lose the lock usually, jump back in, repeat if it happens again.

When you unlock thermal optics for tank, your kills will go through the roof, it's that good. IRNV for tanks basically.

Autoloader and LMG are great all rounders, and don't hesitate to take snap shots at low-flying jets, they can be hit, unlimited ammo why not.

Guided shell and CITV station if you have a mate, he locks onto any vehicle, including jets, from the citv station (3rd position on tank) and you "lock on" to his signal.. fire and forget, sometimes it clips a tree or a building, but mostly hits the target.

If a chopper is coming at you from the front firing its unguided rockets, move forwards, not backwards. You'll get out of the rockets quicker and cause him to dip his nose hopefully resulting in a crash.

Lastly, don't be afraid to set up an ambush for an enemy tank you see in the distance, so many hiding places in buildings etc, you can flank and kill him before he can say "clever girl.."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Far too many people blow up enemy tanks when they are free for the taking!!

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Reactive armor - this takes full damage from rpg's on the sides and back, plus if you repair your tank back to full it will regenerate after a few mins, quite handy for urban maps like Tehran.
    It's weird to get nailed by an RPG and still be at 100% though, first few times I thought it was someone on my team being a gob****e! :o

Something nasty locks onto your tank (jet, chopper with guided missile) - just jump out, they lose the lock usually, jump back in, repeat if it happens again.
    I'll be using that one ;)

I find the tank zoom view indispensable for most maps, (I just love landing a few long rangers while the other guy tries to range me) except Damavand conquest where thermal is a must.
    Proximity sensors work very well too, have caught out alot of C4 ninjas and snipers who think I'll just drive on past :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Redisle wrote: »
    It is quite difficult to be fair. What I am doing is really waiting until I unlock the laser guided missile, which should be good for taking out tanks. Rocket pods are there too but pretty useless against anything other than groups of infantry. .

Joystick all they way, pick up a Logitech Extreme 3D pro, pretty cheap these day or 10euro on adverts

Rocket pods are excellent, and will disable any tank in 1 good run. Might need a 2nd run to kill it, they are also excellent for taking out choppers.

The laser guided missiles arent very good, it looks basically like a fixed view of the missiles from BF2 (2nd seat)

Dogfights have become a MG affair I've found, and highly suggest you get AIR RADAR and use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Seems you can have as many mines as you like down at the same time.At one stage last night I had 20+ peppered all over the place.None of them disappeared as I put more down.

I think you have as many down as you want but its per life. I don't know if you can Spawn pop down 3/6 then resupply and pop down another 3/6. I think its 3/6 per spawn.

But yeah, they don't disappear when you die.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭James74

Jonny7 wrote: »

Remember, both driver and gunner both have to leave the tank for the lock to be broken. This is usually only a tactic to be used when on your lonesome, or have good comms with your gunner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

James74 wrote: »
    Remember, both driver and gunner both have to leave the tank for the lock to be broken. This is usually only a tactic to be used when on your lonesome, or have good comms with your gunner.

Unless you come up against what i did the other night on kharg, i was basically trapped by a tank and was a recon and had the soflam up on the top building by the contruction site, locked on to the tank hoping a heli or jet would take it out and was pleasantly surpised when i got a knife kill and free tank out of it.

If you see a support guy get killed while beside a tank chances are he was planting C4, fire a rocket, noobtube or grenade around the general area of where the c4 was, it'll detonate and you'll get the kills. Same works for mines, comes in handy when there's infantry running over them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

When you have no way to kill a tank (say you are reckon) and are at close quarters and trapped - act as though you were support trying to place c4 on tank. Sometimes occupants will get out to kill you and hey presto you steal their tank/kill them/steal the tank and then kill them/kill them and then steal the tank

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

RE: Tank unlocks, how do I use them?

The proximity scanner automatically activated but how to I use / switch to canister shells or thermal optics?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭William_Hicley

RE: Tank unlocks, how do I use them?

The proximity scanner automatically activated but how to I use / switch to canister shells or thermal optics?

Press 2 or right mouse button

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

You got to canister shells without ever using an unlock?

Equip them and use them via M2.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

I figured it out soon after the post. You have to click on "land" in the load out customization screen.

Thermal optics and canister shells rock! Never had so many head-shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

Is there a 'rear view' for the jets? I can't find it. Not the chase camera, but one looking behind you, so I can see the missile about to roger me! and hopefully avoid it!

DonalN wrote: »
    Is there a 'rear view' for the jets? I can't find it. Not the chase camera, but one looking behind you, so I can see the missile about to roger me! and hopefully avoid it!

Nope, they removed the camera views that we had in BF2...making my 'hat' stick effectively useless.

If you use a mouse/keyboard...you can hold 'right mouse' and look around...that's about the best you are gonna get I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Nope, they removed the camera views that we had in BF2...making my 'hat' stick effectively useless.

If you use a mouse/keyboard...you can hold 'right mouse' and look around...that's about the best you are gonna get I'm afraid.

so, how do i know when the best time is to release the flares - is it just a guess from when i hear the lock-on tone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

DonalN wrote: »
    SeantheMan wrote: »

so, how do i know when the best time is to release the flares - is it just a guess from when i hear the lock-on tone?

Well the tone of the beep changes when the rocket's released, so you can drop them then.

Well the tone of the beep changes when the rocket's released, so you can drop them then.

aye, it changes from a steady tone...to a beep beep beep beep when the missiles are on their way.
    Premature release always has sad results :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Most machine guns recoil upwards left to right at about a 20 degree angle, so do short bursts, adjusting your fire downwards and slightly left. 5 shot bursts. pretty accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

far too many people dont lead the target when shooting , especially AA tanks, snipers and rpg and then wonder why they hit nothing , i mean seriously FFS this is basic stuff:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

is it possible to stay in-scope when reloading snipers was told it was but can't figure out how to. playing it on 360.

f0ggy92 wrote: »
    is it possible to stay in-scope when reloading snipers was told it was but can't figure out how to. playing it on 360.
    I think once you unlock the "straight pull bolt" add-on you can, only recently started trying out the sniper rifles myself.

f0ggy92 wrote: »

ya you need to unlock the straight pull bolt for the rifle , i think you need 40 kills to get it , its a must have attachment

has helped me get over 1500 sniper kills :D

love sniping , especially moving targets , really get a buzz when ya hit them, all with bolt action rifle , i dont like the semi auto ones , although the EMR has really nice iron sights for CQB

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

ya you need to unlock the straight pull bolt for the rifle , i think you need 40 kills to get it , its a must have attachment

has helped me get over 1500 sniper kills :D

love sniping , especially moving targets , really get a buzz when ya hit them, all with bolt action rifle , i dont like the semi auto ones , although the EMR has really nice iron sights for CQB

What sniper rifle is best one for long range? ive the sv98 with the straight pull bolt and i unlocked the L96 from the assignements.

• Advertisement

at medium range the L96 is supposed to be better but at long range the M98 x 12 magnification is still the king

if your going for extreme long range the m98 with 12x magnification and the bipod is what you want , you will have to sacrifice the straight pull bolt to equip the bipod , but its much steadier with the bipod , you just have to make that 1 shot count ;)

Advertisement