Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snapshot of your story - FM 12

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

After tiring of dominating Europe with Rochdale I have decided to start a new save as Gateshead in the BSP, not the most difficult of jobs, but definitely not simple! transfer budget of 20k and wage budget of 1.4k, few loans sorted the team out and a couple of free transfers who pushed my wage budget to the limit!

Set about hiring better staff as my priority and getting in good scouts (best I could afford anyway)

Plenty of potential at the club, big stadium for the BSP, just under 11,000 capacity, board demanded a safe mid table finish and thanks to a great start in which we went unbeaten for the first 13 games winning 9. Maintained decent form for the rest of the season while enduring a horrendous injury crisis which forced me back into the market in January trawling for freebies to fill out the squad.

Made a final push toward the end of the season and secured a play off spot, snuck past Luton 1-0 in the semi final, undeservedly it has to be said, they had twice as many shots as me and 62% possession. This was after drawing the first leg 1-1, again, quite luckily I guess.

Then beat Hayes and Yeading in the final 4-2 to secure promotion!

Excellent! so my reward so far, just about to enter the new season, finding it very hard to attract players, is a wage budget of 13,000 and a transfer budget of 0.

Looking forward to the new season and as long as I can keep a couple of my better players/prospects and can add a few freebies and loanees I should be able to keep the team up hopefully.

Also, asked the board for a parent club and ended up choosing Leicester City, hopefully I can get a few of their better youth prospects free and with no wage expense too.

Was offered the Stoke job oddly enough just after the first season ended, found it very strange! Turned it down as I want to continue with Gateshead and hopefully take them to Champions League glory eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Just had the most amazing match ever. Playing as Spurs, top of the premiership against Barcelona, top of the BBVA at home (perryman stadium) wallopped ha-a-a-ammered them 7-0 in Champs Lge qtr final first leg!!

Update on the Gateshead save, briefly.

Secured Liverpool as a new parent club and that was the difference in staying in the division, the guys I took on loan from them were brilliant and I went for a few older free transfers to add the experience, had a ridiculously low goals return, scoring 35 goals in 46 games!! but stayed up by 3 points so the board were delighted with me and I got offered the Bolton job at some point during the season.

Pacheco in particular played very well, finished as my top scorer with 8 goals in 15 apps.

Was able to shift a bit of dead wood and not needed players from the squad so have a few bob to spend this year, 130k, wage budget of 16k, i may edit that as necessary.

All my staff contracts were up after the first season so I went about putting together a whole new backroom team, decent assistant manager, 3 good coaches,GK coach, a good physio and two good scouts.

Again going back to Liverpool for some loans, Pacheco has agreed to return along with one of the defenders (who was probably my POTY)

Some decent prospects coming through the youth ranks now too especially for the level im at. Couneaga, old spanish striker, who i signed in January of the first season is still doing a good jon for me, just very injury prone!

Going to try push the board to improve the youth facilities again at the club as I feel this is my best route forward in the medium term, expecting to struggle against relegation again this season, then hopefully if successful I can start to push up the table and gain promotion within 3-4 seasons, no big spending, only working with freebies and my youth products, my biggest signing so far has cost me 35k, guy was top scorer in BSP the first year I was in FLD2, better then my current best striker according to the scouts and hopefully he can add the goal threat I lack, have added two good wingers now too and a decent creative centre midfielder has come through the ranks

If i can score a few more goals next season i have a sneaky feeling I could have a year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Finally finished my dissertation so I went out and got FM12. I've jumped straight into the Dafuge Challenge, starting in the BSN with newly promoted Hednesford. The media predicted that we'll finish bottom and I arrived to a squad of about 12 players. The board also refused my request for a parent club so to say that it's going to be tough is putting it lightly! It's certainly more rewarding though.

With the exclusion of a couple of hammerings, we've done alright for ourselves so far. We've played 17, won 7, drew 6 and lost just 4, leaving us among the chasing pack for the playoff places. I don't expect us to be a contender from promotion just yet but if the board re-evaluate the season aims in light of our solid start, we may yet be in the mix come late April.

The nature of lower league management has impacted on how I have us set up. We play a flat 4-4-2 and our strengths lie in our stamina and pace. There's little point in doing anything complicated with lesser players on part-time contracts. I still set us up to attack most games and one particular highlight was a 1-0 victory away to FC United. However, Hednesford captured my heart with an inspired second half performance against Halifax to earn a draw.

We fought our way to the first round proper of the FA Cup where we gave a good account of ourselves, going down 4-2 to Leyton Orient. Things are looking up at Keys Park :)

Finished last season with that great win over Barca.

Honours list:
    Community Shield - Beat Liverpool 2-0
    European Super Cup - Beat Leverkusen 2-1
    League Cup - Beat Arsenal 2-1 ET
    Premier League - Finished 1st on 91 points with GD of +62 W29 D4 L5
    FA Cup - Finished as runners up to Arsenal 0-1
    Champions League - Beat Arsenal 3-1

Very disappointed to lose to Arsenal in the FA Cup as it was the second year in a row of getting to the final only to lose by a goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

In a moment of frustration and rage, I resigned from my Stalybridge game. :o

Am now the manager of Lincoln in the same division.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

So got a play off position with Barca b, as you know no promotion allowed so I am re-camping the squad while waiting for a job offer. May stay for another season.

Added a second manager, was offered the brentford job. They had been relegated so in league 2 now trying to consolidate the clubs losses and get rid of the dead weights. Mass exodus ahead really! May end up relying on loanees as only have 35k to spend!!!

Dont have time to get into it at the moment, but I think this is the proudest day of my Football Manager life, the board just announced plans to build a new stadium and are naming it after me, and I quote "the clubs greatest ever manager" :):):)

If I could score more, then I'd be flying!

398607_10151292012975307_737165306_22496741_2097234007_n.jpg

• Advertisement

I left my unreal team Spurs (on course for 5th premier league title & still in Champs Lge & FA Cup) to try my hand with my favorite club Blackburn Rovers (the venkys are still there though :( ) and have lost my first few matches. The manager before loaned out the best players - how freakin stupid!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Mc Love wrote: »
    I left my unreal team Spurs (on course for 5th premier league title & still in Champs Lge & FA Cup) to try my hand with my favorite club Blackburn Rovers (the venkys are still there though :( ) and have lost my first few matches. The manager before loaned out the best players - how freakin stupid!!
    Recall them?

No option to recall them :( they must have paid a fee! Just won my first game out of 5 games 6-1 and the players morale changed from poor and very poor to good :D

It's March 2017 and my first season with Lincoln. We've managed to climb up to 8th and have made it to the FA Trophy Final. Injuries are piling up and I have three players who really need a rest. :(

405404_10151295629465307_737165306_22508051_127274034_n.jpg

Won the FA Trophy! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Started game with Spurs, brought in Lukas Podolski for 15 million, wanted Baines but didn't have enough cash so the squad is basically the same. Beat Stoke first game 3-0 at home, unreal performance, I'm hoping Bale will hit over 20 league goals. Getting top 4 will be so tough, but the attack is soo good I reckon we should do it. I edited City, so they are unreal, so the league will be tough, and United like in real life just perform above ability. Chelsea have a Torres on form and Mata.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭louthguy25

Started with Sunderland as i usually do and took a different route to the way i usually manage.
    I saw a challenge here to get a team to win the league with all home based players, bu thinking this impossible i have built up a team of mostly English Scottish and Irish players along with buying young as i want to produce a team from my youth team too

First season i came 10th or so with nothing major happening
    Second season i won the fa cup and league cup finishing 6th which i was delighted with
    Third season no trophies got to semi finals of europa league and fa cup, league cup went out early but i finished 4th which im delighted with

Current team is
    Craig Gordon
    Phil Bardsley/Kyle Walker Jan Vertonghen Danny Wilson John O'Shea

Joe Cole Jack Wilshire/Lee Cattermole Jack Rodwell/David Vaughan Nene

Sanogo/Macheda Gyan/Wickham/Kuranyi

I also have 2 youth keepers with 5 star potential but not home based
    Keith Toase a regen i think i got from Palace is 4.5 out of 5 pushing for a place
    Numerous other players vying for the team but having to loan the out to aid there development.

Currently have 26 million in the bank at start of season wondering who do i buy as i want someone to help me bring the team to the next level but not hinder the youth prospects i have

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

louthguy25 wrote: »
    Started with Sunderland as i usually do and took a different route to the way i usually manage.
    I saw a challenge here to get a team to win the league with all home based players, bu thinking this impossible i have built up a team of mostly English Scottish and Irish players along with buying young as i want to produce a team from my youth team too

First season i came 10th or so with nothing major happening
    Second season i won the fa cup and league cup finishing 6th which i was delighted with
    Third season no trophies got to semi finals of europa league and fa cup, league cup went out early but i finished 4th which im delighted with

Current team is
    Craig Gordon
    Phil Bardsley/Kyle Walker Jan Vertonghen Danny Wilson John O'Shea

Joe Cole Jack Wilshire/Lee Cattermole Jack Rodwell/David Vaughan Nene

Sanogo/Macheda Gyan/Wickham/Kuranyi

I also have 2 youth keepers with 5 star potential but not home based
    Keith Toase a regen i think i got from Palace is 4.5 out of 5 pushing for a place
    Numerous other players vying for the team but having to loan the out to aid there development.

Currently have 26 million in the bank at start of season wondering who do i buy as i want someone to help me bring the team to the next level but not hinder the youth prospects i have

get Danny Sturridge in on loan - he'll get you 20 goals a season and then wait until the very last week of the next season and buy him for 4 million ;)

Also having better coaches\physios helps - there are some cheap ones out there. If you are developing youth you def want youth coaches with 18-20 for working with youngsters - also a good youth goalkeeping coach
    Just filter by "working with youngsters"

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭louthguy25

get Danny Sturridge in on loan - he'll get you 20 goals a season and then wait until the very last week of the next season and buy him for 4 million ;)

Also having better coaches\physios helps - there are some cheap ones out there. If you are developing youth you def want youth coaches with 18-20 for working with youngsters - also a good youth goalkeeping coach
    Just filter by "working with youngsters"

Iv nowere to fit sturridge in the team as Sanogo Gyan Kuranyi all got 16 league goals last year and Macheda got 12 with them all hitting over 20 in all competitions and Toase the regen is going to take Kuranyis spot in next season or so, maybe let Macheda go

On the coaches i have searched for hours and have most of them great for youngsters if only Giggs and Scholes would join my staff

Sturridge is a bit of a wingebag though

• Advertisement

It's November 2017, I'm sitting 3 points on top of BSP.
    Injuries start taking a toll.

419644_10151330263890307_737165306_22633205_837911122_n.jpg

Mitrovic has 13 goals in 13 games.

When Chattaway got injured, I took in another keeper on loan. Just as while coz now my other keeper I had is injured!

I had a kid in my youth team that I knew had fairly good attributes for a kid in BSP. I loaned him out a couple of times but he didn't really impress. When he turned 18, he started demanding first team football and stuck for an attacking left midfielder, I decided to give him a go as it's his secondary position. So his first season is in Blue Square PRemier.

25 appearances later he has 13 goals and 11 assists and the most man of the match awards in the team with 5. :D

Oh, it's only January by the way!

Woohoo! Still have a good few games left but can give players who need a rest the rest they need now.

421338_10151346008255307_737165306_22687007_1701298354_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

If you have any half decent looking youth players, now would be the time to see what they can do since you aren't unbeaten. Much better way than how I ended up finding a club legend, I had no fit strikers so threw in my best looking youth striker and he turned out to be the second coming of Jesus (in LoI anyway).

I had 4 strikers, 3 got injured so I was left with my reserve striker who came from my youth system. He has done very well for me but my "main" strikers are all coming back from injury so they need game time now.

I don't really have anyone worth promoting to the first team but I'll give one or two a try. A couple of the fullbacks have done alright when needed but wouldn't have the attributes to be any where near good enough for League 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Friel

Took over Malaga in Feb 2012. They weren't in the best state, squad most importantly was badly low on morale.

Strikers weren't doing anything at all, and with the transfer window being closed I could only bring in a free:

transferdrd.jpg

As you can see he banged the goals in:

dianescs.jpg

I can see he's scored for Lens already, the ****.

Couldn't do much and ended up finishing well below where even I expected:

table111uiu.jpg

Just coming up to the start of the new season and I've been trying to get the team in order. Bringing in a mixture of old and young. Mostly been trying to stabilize the defense with Hangeland and Cuellar. Also in negotiations with the goalkeeper Volkan Demirel. Got rid of alot as they simply werent good enough:

transferoko.jpg

Not world beaters, but it'll take a few seasons for me to get them where I want. Decent financial backing thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Just started a new game with PSG (they were a random pick) and have decided to set myself the goal of having the whole squad French. I'm a xenophobe you see...

So, despite the club being supposedly wealthy, I'm given a budget of £12 million to start.

Going to keep the bulk of my squad for the first season and start trimming it next summer. My 3 year plan to go full frog. Now PSG might be rich but they've poor enough depth in a few areas, notably out wide. Their wingers are in their late 20's and they've little back up in the full back positions. So of course I set about signing a central midfielder :pac: Need someone in their to set the tempo and went for Marvin Martin. An excellent passer with good composure, ideal for the role basically. Also loaned in Paul Pogba for the craic. No idea what to do with him as I've Bodmer as my back up to Martin :/

Next, I added some depth across my back four by signing Mbiwa of Montpellier. He can play right across the back so that will hopefully avoid panicking at the sight of an injury to a full back.

And finally I signed someone for a wing position, Jeremy Pied. At 22, IRL, he's one of the best up and coming players in Ligue 1 and will be a future French International. In FM however, he is a decent young player who, with the right tutelage he can become a first teamer.

That's all for now, as I've not yet played my first game as I'm still in preseason, but I look forward to my up comming 3 year all-French team challenge. Hopefully I can do it.

After leaving my fantastic post at Spurs to take my beloved rovers to the top of English footy, with 3 years I have done it.

2021.jpg

And my star striker

soler.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Started a game last week with the new patch with my team

Portsmouth,

Not able to sign any players have a wage budget of 120k and a current wage of 270k,

Have taken 3 players from the U18s who have the potential to be 5 star players,

First 2 (1 league and 1 Cup game) games i've won 3-0,

With my 16 year old CB scoring in both matches :O

still -7 points at the bottom but think i can pull them out of administration,

Other thing most of my staff and players have their contracts up next season and i'm only allowed offer €100 a week.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Friel

@Mc Love that's a serious amount of goals for both the team and the player. Impressive.

Advertisement