Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bodkin / Headford Road roundabout replacement [Lights are on!]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What day does the work actually start on the roundabout?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I hear the 27th, the day the schools are back.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I hear the 27th, the day the schools are back.
    Ah c'mon, they would'nt be that inept..would they? :pac:

Remember the resurfacing of University Road/Newcastle Traffic Lights in late August 2011.

Of course they could. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

In the unlikely event of traffic congestion, it should be remembered that the traffic volumes arise from a combination of factors such as families shopping for “back to school” items such as school-books and school uniforms, third level students seeking accommodation for the upcoming academic year and also some level of tourist traffic.

At least that was what the City Council said last year...

• Advertisement

Is this starting tomorrow Monday or has it been delayed. ?????

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Is this starting tomorrow Monday or has it been delayed. ?????

Apparently it is next month.
    http://galwayindependent.com/stories/item/3569/2012-34/Work-on-Bodkin-roundabout-to-begin-next-month

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

"The work is expected to take three months to complete."

hahahahahaha. Anyone taking bets on this one? I'd say June 2013, at best. :p

But the sooner that disaster of a roundabout goes, the better. Car in front of me coming from Dunnes and turning right onto the bridge almost got wiped out by 3 (THREE!) cars breaking the red light on the roundabout...Have high hopes that a proper junction will cut the muppetry down a bit.

And while we're at it, I also hope that if the put up new road signs, they cut the fecking trees in front of them, so one can SEE the signs It's a bloody joke, pretty much all traffic signs along the route from the magic roundabout to the M6 are covered or partially covered by shrubbery (this may also be a rant for another thread, and is not specific to Galway - got lost 4 times in Meath yesterday cause road signs weren't visible. maybe the locals know where they go, but as a 'tourist', it was ridiculous!). Never mind some stupid lane design up between the Tuam road junction and the Ballybrit junction...

njarg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Galway advertiser is reporting that works have been postponed until the new year as there was doubts over the ability of the contractor to finish before christmas.

Phew. A bit of sense at last.

Hopefully they do all the remaining jobs simultaneously in the spring and get it over with.

1. Bodkin
    2. Sandyvale roundabout
    3. Corrib Park Roundabout
    4. The NUIG 'Bridge' at the Quincentennial

• Advertisement

zarquon wrote: »
    Galway advertiser is reporting that works have been postponed until the new year as there was doubts over the ability of the contractor to finish before christmas.
    But I was so looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

snubbleste wrote: »
    But I was so looking forward to it!

And I was so looking forward to walking up to the workers asking Are you done yet?

Anyone know when this roundabout dismantling starts?

A tiny stretch has already been completed (where the recycling bins used to be in the Galway Shopping Centre) - not sure when the rest will start.

facebook.com/ConnachtTribune
    Delayed again - contractor has pulled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Why do they bid for it if they can't follow through with it?!

Mongs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭christy_weezer

ah jaysus what are they playin' at!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

KevR wrote: »
    Why do they bid for it if they can't follow through with it?!

In fairness when they tendered for it (last year or 2011?) they may have been in a position to do it, but with the delays could have changed the company's circumstances. There have been reports of several projects being tendered below cost simply in order to keep some revenue coming in, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is what happened here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 joushikijin

Keep the roundabouts, remove the traffic lights and put a STOP sign on every entrance. The only thing left to do is to enforce the drivers to actually stop at the STOP sign. Works in all other European countries, except Germany, they thought they have to install traffic lights into the roundabouts too... but they have STOP signs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

How would Stop signs at roundabouts instead on Yield signs improve traffic flow?

• Advertisement

KevR wrote: »
    How would Stop signs at roundabouts instead on Yield signs improve traffic flow?

Are you a driver of a vehicle? Are you aware of the difference between the two signs? I hope the answer to both is no. :confused:

The "yield" sign is asking you to be aware of oncoming traffic and give way to the vehicle that is already in the roundabout. This sign is redundant when you have a traffic light within the roundabout. Another major issue is that people race trough roundabouts without considering that other people might want to enter the roundabout. Antisocial behaviour and flawed road structure aid to this problem. :eek:

A "stop" sign is asking you to stop your vehicle completely and observe the traffic in general before moving your vehicle again. If obeyed it takes out the pace and allows other vehicles to enter the roundabout in a civilised manner and also other perks like zebra crossings can work now.

Unfortunately do the majority of drivers in Ireland either do not know or just don't care about the rules of the road. On top of that is there a extreme antisocial behaviour against other driver of vehicles but more disturbing against pedestrians. :(

Garda needs to be vigilant on people ignoring stop signs or driving over red traffic light. I am photographing every day people who either drive over a red light, cross a stop sign or cause otherwise dangerous situations like being on the phone or not buckled up. Within the 20-30 minutes I spend per day in my car to and from University I document an average of 3-4 offences per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

joushikijin
    I am photographing every day people who either drive over a red light, cross a stop sign or cause otherwise dangerous situations like being on the phone or not buckled up

God but you must have a very sad life if thats all you do, taking photos of people in cars, I suppose you never make a mistake and break a road rule.

Chicken1 wrote: »
    God but you must have a very sad life if thats all you do, taking photos of people in cars, I suppose you never make a mistake and break a road rule.

If you would have read my post carefully you wouldn't have to write such baseless assumptions. Yes I do make mistakes but not grave one like that, who could easily avoided by being more mindful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Anybody else feel the least they could do while the great debate is going on is re-line the roundabout as it is? (Sorry if this was mentioned before).

The road markings as they are look old and faded, they're very hard to see when light is poor. The main concern is the inside lane that starts on the Omniplex side, I cant blame people for missing it, particularly visitors to the city.

My other main gripe is people on the outside lane NOT turning off to take the road up to Bohermore. Actually maybe I should be greatful that people make that mistake so regularly, I'm prepared for it as a result and have avoided a few fender benders.

Chicken1 wrote: »
    God but you must have a very sad life if thats all you do, taking photos of people in cars

Sure it's only about road safety, so who cares?

I'm sure there are much more constructive things to do with ones time.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Discussion on the roundabout roadworks only please.
    Much less of the personal stuff.

The "yield" sign is asking you to be aware of oncoming traffic and give way to the vehicle that is already in the roundabout. This sign is redundant when you have a traffic light within the roundabout. Another major issue is that people race trough roundabouts without considering that other people might want to enter the roundabout. Antisocial behaviour and flawed road structure aid to this problem. :eek:

A "stop" sign is asking you to stop your vehicle completely and observe the traffic in general before moving your vehicle again. If obeyed it takes out the pace and allows other vehicles to enter the roundabout in a civilised manner and also other perks like zebra crossings can work now.

Unfortunately do the majority of drivers in Ireland either do not know or just don't care about the rules of the road. On top of that is there a extreme antisocial behaviour against other driver of vehicles but more disturbing against pedestrians. :(

Garda needs to be vigilant on people ignoring stop signs or driving over red traffic light. I am photographing every day people who either drive over a red light, cross a stop sign or cause otherwise dangerous situations like being on the phone or not buckled up. Within the 20-30 minutes I spend per day in my car to and from University I document an average of 3-4 offences per day.

Interesting idea re Stop signs.

I wouldn't agree that Zebra Crossings are "perks", but I know what you mean! :) Zebra crossings on all arms of roundabouts would be a big help, but afaik the City Council is intractably opposed to such pedestrian/cyclist-friendly facilities.

You're right about the ignorant behaviour and poor road/junction design exacerbating each other, Irish roundabouts being an exquisite example of where such phenomena are displayed in all their glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

If the drivers treat the new junction the same way they arse around at the Moneenageisha junction then we're all fecked. I walk that way to work and the amount of times people have run the red light is incredible. I've also noticed its a common occurrence for two or sometimes three cars to just blatantly follow behind the first car to drive through the red.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Private Joker

Asmodean wrote: »
    If the drivers treat the new junction the same way they arse around at the Moneenageisha junction then we're all fecked. I walk that way to work and the amount of times people have run the red light is incredible. I've also noticed its a common occurrence for two or sometimes three cars to just blatantly follow behind the first car to drive through the red.

the lights dont seem to be properly synced at the junction, one arm is red while the other is green. it is very annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Thats no excuse for running an obvious red light.
    Galway motorists seem to be displaying their anger at the roundabouts being replaced with traffic lights, by ignoring them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement