Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemarathon 1/4/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

menoscemo wrote: »
    Sub 5:30 sounds like a good target based on your Mara Time. If I were you I'd aim to hit marathon in and around 3:30-3:35 and see how you go from there. The last 13.1 is by far the hardest so you don't want to be too spent when you hit the marathon distance.

I'll be aiming for a similar time/pacing tactic, maybe see you on the course :D

I prefer the more conservative approach to the first 26.2 and forty the tank in the last 13.1.
    3 x 1.50 would get you in at 5.30

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    I prefer the more conservative approach to the first 26.2 and forty the tank in the last 13.1.
    3 x 1.50 would get you in at 5.30

I've yet to see anyone who is able to hold the same pace over the last 13.1 miles, though.

My own strategy is to bank some time. It's something I do NOT advocate for a normal road marathon, but the two big climbs over the last 13.1 miles alone are worth an extra 5 minutes IMHO, never mind the growing fatigue.

I've yet to see anyone who is able to hold the same pace over the last 13.1 miles, though.

My own strategy is to bank some time. It's something I do NOT advocate for a normal road marathon, but the two big climbs over the last 13.1 miles alone are worth an extra 5 minutes IMHO, never mind the growing fatigue.
    I managed it last year, i know your going to say i ran 2 slow but the time i got was as fast as i could go and i finished very strong. The first 26.2 flew by. Its horses for courses though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

IIRC at least 5 or 6 went faster in the last 13.1 last year including our own Oisin11178 (his splits were 1.52, 1.51, 1.48 I think). I stayed with him until 26.2 but he managed to put 20 minutes on me over the last 13.1 :(

IIRC at least 5 or 6 went faster in the last 13.1 last year including our own Oisin11178 (his splits were 1.52, 1.51, 1.48 I think). I stayed with him until 26.2 but he managed to put 20 minutes on me over the last 13.1 :(

I stand corrected. I won't change my strategy, though. I still think an optimal race on that course means the last third will be a few minutes slower due to the terrain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Canine Marathoner

Interesting posts on the bank method or the near-evens approach. Being a first time ultra runner and knowing the type of runner I am, I am, at the moment, more inclined towards menoscemo's initial proposal - but time will tell.

OK, here's another one for you ultra veterans: I see you're allowed three parcel drops along the course. What are the opinions on where each one should be left?

Look, I know there's no truly right answer and just as with the pacing question, it's a horses-for-courses thingy, but what has experience taught you guys on this matter?

Interesting posts on the bank method or the near-evens approach. Being a first time ultra runner and knowing the type of runner I am, I am, at the moment, more inclined towards menoscemo's initial proposal - but time will tell.

OK, here's another one for you ultra veterans: I see you're allowed three parcel drops along the course. What are the opinions on where each one should be left?

Look, I know there's no truly right answer and just as with the pacing question, it's a horses-for-courses thingy, but what has experience taught you guys on this matter?

You can drop them pretty much every 3 miles. Last year I dropped at 10, 26 and 35, mainly becuase there are big hills at 26 and 35; I thought it would be a good idea to get food before the climbs. In reality it's not a good idea to be climbing those hill while trying to eat/drink ;) I'll probably do something like 10, 20 and 30 this year.

I think i did 10,26,32 last year which seemed to work well. Flat coke 500 ml with 2 electrolyte tabs in the coke. Also took about 10 gels along the way. Started with 4 and had 2 at each of my drops
    also a tip for the new guys, get distingtive bags to put your stuff in as most had similar bags and it could cost you minutes. Think the stop at 26 cost Meno 2 or 3 mins last year.

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    also a tip for the new guys, get distingtive bags to put your stuff in as most had similar bags and it could cost you minutes. Think the stop at 26 cost Meno 2 or 3 mins last year.

Definitely, it seems trivial but when you get to a table and see 100 clear/white coloured bags it is very hard to work out which belongs to you. I think it cost me 2 minutes looking for my bag at 26 last year. Turns out I knocked in under the table while looking through the other bags :o

Ideally I would like to put my bags at miles 10, 20 and 30, but I have heard too many stories of half-marathon runners stealing from the ultra table.

Indeed, 2 years ago I left my last drop bag at the 26 miles table and when I got there it had been ripped open and almost half of my drink was missing from the bottle.

Still pisses me off to this day. I hope whoever did that suffered a stress fracture as just punishment.

I'll probably go with 10, 18 and 24 or something like that.

• Advertisement

Ideally I would like to put my bags at miles 10, 20 and 30, but I have heard too many stories of half-marathon runners stealing from the ultra table.

Indeed, 2 years ago I left my last drop bag at the 26 miles table and when I got there it had been ripped open and almost half of my drink was missing from the bottle.

Still pisses me off to this day. I hope whoever did that suffered a stress fracture as just punishment.

I'll probably go with 10, 18 and 24 or something like that.

Wrap your goodies in a tampax bag. no-one will touch them then :D

Cheers for all the helpful advice guys. Yes Oisin11178, I have never used elec tabs before - I must give 'em a try in training to see how I go with them. A few years ago I ran the Seville Marathon and it remains my most enjoyable to date; I am tentatively thinking of returning there on February 19th for the 2012 edition - that's six weeks before the Ultra. A marathon pb is totally on the cards - not by much, rather just another little dent in the existing one. What's the consensus amongst you ultra vets on racing (maybe not full-out racing...rather giving it a hell of a lash) a marathon in such close proximity to an ultra...I was actually figuring that a marathon at close to all-out speed may benefit me in the ultra...or would this be just plain dumb?

Half:
    Dow99 - 2:15
    Thirstywork2 (if training goes well will defer to the full)
    Corked
    KrustyClown
    Emer911
    RacoonQueen

Full:
    Micilín Muc: 4.30 4.00 - Life is too short for plodding!
    Alanm
    Jester1980
    Corkrunner71
    Bugsy2000
    Plodder
    Acurno - 3.19
    dx22 Sub 4hrs
    Mithril
    Cabaal
    neilc - 3:30
    HOT TO TROT- finish before cut off .
    Ertred - 3:45
    littlebug- get around...

Ultra:
    Mick Rice 4:15
    menoscemo: 5:29:59
    TFBubendorfer: 4:59:59
    Izoard
    Liamo123 : Too early to put my balls on the chopping block
    theboyblunder: sticking to liamo like a limpet for as long as possible
    Marthastew: finish with a smile on my face
    Oisin11178: Sub 6
    Belcarra: Aim is to finish, but it would be nice to be <6.5hrs...I'd be delighted to make the first page of the results (=6:25)!!
    EauRouge79: Just aiming to finish this - but sub 6 hrs hopefully
    ultraman1.....
    NoGutsNoGlory sub 5
    Claralara sub 6:30
    Digger sub 6:30
    Canine Marathoner: 5:29:59

Wrap your goodies in a tampax bag. no-one will touch them then :D

Believe it or not, I used a nappy bag for that very reason. Didn't help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

As a newbie to this race might someone explain the bags to me, pretty please ?

As a newbie to this race might someone explain the bags to me, pretty please ?

You get to drop off 3 food/drink parcels in bins marked with mile markers before the race. You will then find your parcel on the Ultra aid table at the water station. Most people keep their stuff in a bag to keep it together.
    A few years ago I ran the Seville Marathon and it remains my most enjoyable to date; I am tentatively thinking of returning there on February 19th for the 2012 edition - that's six weeks before the Ultra. A marathon pb is totally on the cards - not by much, rather just another little dent in the existing one. What's the consensus amongst you ultra vets on racing (maybe not full-out racing...rather giving it a hell of a lash) a marathon in such close proximity to an ultra...I was actually figuring that a marathon at close to all-out speed may benefit me in the ultra...or would this be just plain dumb?

Yeah why not give it a lash 6 weeks is plenty of time to recover. Myself and Oisin both set Marathon PB's in Barcelona last year 4 weeks before the Ultra. If the ultra is the main goal then maybe don't taper for Seville as you would normally before a marathon, just take it easy the week before, you still might surprise yourself with your time. A lot of us will be doing the 50k race in Donadea the same day as the seville marathon. I'll be doing Blackpool marathon 3 weeks before Conn this year and giving it a good oul lash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Half:
    Dow99 - 2:15
    Thirstywork2 (if training goes well will defer to the full)
    Corked
    KrustyClown
    Emer911
    RacoonQueen
    Martyoo

Full:
    Micilín Muc: 4.30 4.00 - Life is too short for plodding!
    Alanm
    Jester1980
    Corkrunner71
    Bugsy2000
    Plodder
    Acurno - 3.19
    dx22 Sub 4hrs
    Mithril
    Cabaal
    neilc - 3:30
    HOT TO TROT- finish before cut off .
    Ertred - 3:45
    littlebug- get around...

Ultra:
    Mick Rice 4:15
    menoscemo: 5:29:59
    TFBubendorfer: 4:59:59
    Izoard
    Liamo123 : Too early to put my balls on the chopping block
    theboyblunder: sticking to liamo like a limpet for as long as possible
    Marthastew: finish with a smile on my face
    Oisin11178: Sub 6
    Belcarra: Aim is to finish, but it would be nice to be <6.5hrs...I'd be delighted to make the first page of the results (=6:25)!!
    EauRouge79: Just aiming to finish this - but sub 6 hrs hopefully
    ultraman1.....
    NoGutsNoGlory sub 5
    Claralara sub 6:30
    Digger sub 6:30
    Canine Marathoner: 5:29:59

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

You get to drop off 3 food/drink parcels in bins marked with mile markers before the race. You will then find your parcel on the Ultra aid table at the water station. Most people keep their stuff in a bag to keep it together.

so that's only for ultra runners then ?

Yes, drop bags are for ultra runners only. There are the usual water tables every 3 miles for marathon and half-marathon runners as well, though.

Yes, hence we are talking about wrapping stuff in nappy bags so others don't grab it ;)

• Advertisement

thanks for that advice menoscemo.

yeah, I have some very realistic looking toy rats - I may glue one to each of my drop bags

• Registered Users Posts: 25 monkey90

Hi, I'm signed up to do the half-marathon this year. Ran it once before in 2010 with my Dad, although I ran alongside him at his pace so I wouldn't consider that as having "properly" done it, if you know what I mean. This year I'm running it with a friend of mine, we're hoping to run it in approx 1:40. I've gone for a couple of runs recently and I've a lot of work to do to reach that goal, but the two of us will push each other on.

Anyway I noticed that my running shoes have become quite old & worn, was thinking of investing in a new pair (I've always gone for Asics, Kayano-14 were my most recent). I was wondering if somebody would be able to point me in the right direction as regards the right type of shoe one should wear running this kind of distance?

Also if anybody had any links or advice regarding a training plan they'd vouch for, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and good luck with the training :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Anyway I noticed that my running shoes have become quite old & worn, was thinking of investing in a new pair (I've always gone for Asics, Kayano-14 were my most recent). I was wondering if somebody would be able to point me in the right direction as regards the right type of shoe one should wear running this kind of distance?

You should get gait analysis done. Amphibian King in Dublin and Galway do it. It's well worth it.
    Also if anybody had any links or advice regarding a training plan they'd vouch for, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Haven't used one myself but a lot people use this guys training plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bjk210

Hello,

I have signed up for the full. All going well I should cover the first half in around 1.40/1.42 which means that the half will be 10 or 12 minutes under way as I join the half runners in Leenane. I have done the half twice and know how narrow (not to metion hilly) the road is out of Leenane. My question is how tough is it for full and ultra runners to get through the half runners in the first mile or so out of Leenane.

Thanks,

bjk210 wrote: »
    Hello,

I have signed up for the full. All going well I should cover the first half in around 1.40/1.42 which means that the half will be 10 or 12 minutes under way as I join the half runners in Leenane. I have done the half twice and know how narrow (not to metion hilly) the road is out of Leenane. My question is how tough is it for full and ultra runners to get through the half runners in the first mile or so out of Leenane.

Thanks,

If the half is already started 10-12 minutes you won't be meeting any runners or walkers in the first mile. By the time you do reach the back of the field they will be well spread out I'd imagine.

Yeah we had no probs overtaking back markers. The finish chute was a bit tight but just get the elbows out:-)

If you reach the halfway mark between 1:30 and 1:35 then you will be in trouble. Any later than that and it should be ok. The road will be busy all the way home, but congestion should not be an issue.

Incidentally, I am hoping to go through Leenane around the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bjk210

Thanks for the replies which are very reassuring.

I am hoping to finish in around 3.30 so there is very little chance that I will get to Leenane in less than 1.40.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭diddleyland

Registered for the full, hoping to make it round in one piece, walked the half four years ago before i started running it nearly killed me!!!!! but i've learned its easier to run the distance than walk it so heres hoping it'll be a good day!!!!:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Signed for the full,had hope to do Rotterdam or Brighton but baby due March so hopefully won't have too many sleepless nights before Connemara.
    My first full and it's going to be Connemara(I must be mad)

Havnt booked a hotel yet,whats the best location wise to the start and can you put your own water bottles on the tables?

Advertisement