Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemarathon 1/4/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Would running the full marathon here be a bad idea if i also wan
    ted to run well in cork marathon which is 2 months later?
    It would be my first marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

nellocono wrote: »
    Would running the full marathon here be a bad idea if i also wan
    ted to run well in cork marathon which is 2 months later?
    It would be my first marathon

If you want to do your best time in Cork then yes, a very bad idea.
    If you just want to survive in Cork, you can do it.

To be honest I wouldn't recommend it. You can always run the half in Connemara as part of the training for Cork. But there are a few posters here on boards who ran their first marathons very closely together, so it definitely can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Half:
    Dow99 - 2:15

Full:
    Micilín Muc: 4.30
    Alanm
    Jester1980
    Corkrunner71
    Bugsy2000
    Plodder
    Acurno - 3.19
    dx22 Sub 4hrs
    Mithril

Ultra:
    menoscemo: 5:29:59
    RacoonQueen
    TFBubendorfer: sub-5
    Izoard
    Liamo123 : Too early to put my balls on the chopping block wink.gif

Dublin was my first.

And now looking around for the next marathon.

Was thinking of Cork, but this looks attractive. Do many do the marathon distance and how hilly is it? Don't want to be slogging up the side of some mountain with the nearest competitors a mile away in front and behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pink1971

Are there normally pacers in the connemara half?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Half:

Full:
    Alanm
    Jester1980
    Corkrunner71
    Bugsy2000
    Plodder
    Acurno - 3.19
    dx22 Sub 4hrs
    Mithril

Ultra:
    RacoonQueen
    Izoard
    theboyblunder: sticking to liamo like a limpet for as long as possible

PS - where are people staying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

pink1971 wrote: »
    Are there normally pacers in the connemara half?
    Nope. You're on your own!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Dublin was my first.

And now looking around for the next marathon.

Was thinking of Cork, but this looks attractive. Do many do the marathon distance and how hilly is it? Don't want to be slogging up the side of some mountain with the nearest competitors a mile away in front and behind.

Several hundred did it last year. I guess how isolated you are depends on what pace you run at. I ran last year in 2:57 and it was 90% solo, but a more mainstream pace might be less lonely. For what its worth, I found it a very enjoyable run, having the hills at mile thirteen instead of mile one is nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

PS - where are people staying?

Stayed in Galway City last year. There is a bus up from the Cathedral and back after the race.

Great Buzz about the city the night after as well.

brownian wrote: »
    Several hundred did it last year. I guess how isolated you are depends on what pace you run at. I ran last year in 2:57 and it was 90% solo, but a more mainstream pace might be less lonely.

Only did Dublin, and that was 3.59...so won't be giving you any company anyway!

When you say "hills at mile 13", how hilly are hills?!

• Advertisement

When you say "hills at mile 13", how hilly are hills?!

Very Hilly Hills at miles 13-14.5 and miles 22.5-24 (approx). The first half is very falt and fast but the second half makes it one of the more difficult marathons in Ireland. Here is a garmin link to the course

When you are running at a pace between 3-4hours you will be passing through the backmarkers of the Half Marathon which runs simultaneously on the second half of your course (they start 90 minutes after the full), so you'll have plenty of company and the atmosphere is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

menoscemo wrote: »
    Very Hilly Hills at miles 13-14.5 and miles 22.5-24 (approx). The first half is very falt and fast but the second half makes it one of the more difficult marathons in Ireland. Here is a garmin link to the course

When you are running at a pace between 3-4hours you will be passing through the backmarkers of the Half Marathon which runs simultaneously on the second half of your course (they start 90 minutes after the full), so you'll have plenty of company and the atmosphere is great.

Jez I must have been in a bad way or hallucinating but is there not another whopper of a hill around about 31 miles ( 18 for marathon ) :confused:.... Fecking destroyed me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

liamo123 wrote: »
    Jez I must have been in a bad way or hallucinating but is there not another whopper of a hill around about 31 miles ( 18 for marathon ) :confused:.... Fecking destroyed me....

dats only a sneaki incline.....

liamo123 wrote: »

I never noticed it, but then again, I was doing my Cristie Brown impression at the time, so i had other things on my mind :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

As opposed to non hilly hills?:D

Ouch!

Thanks for the link. Though for a minute I thought the elevation in the profile was in metres!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Thinking of doing this, just need to work out the logistics of number collection etc.

Just wondering could my sister collect it, i know its way off but these small things make a big difference in a busy household.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

From what I can remember if she has your photo Id she can collect it. Normally if you contact them in advance of collection they're ok with it.

Bugsy2000 wrote: »
    From what I can remember if she has your photo I'd she can collect it. Normally if you contact them in advance of collection they're ok with it.

Thats good to know.

I'd rather drive down that morning and stay that night for a few pints rather than stay the night before:)

Oh and i've entered !

Oh and whats the hills like compared to Dublin ?

• Advertisement

Oh and whats the hills like compared to Dublin ?

There are no hills in Dublin!

There are no hills in Dublin!

Define hill;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Define hill;)

In Dublin, the difference between the lowest and highest elevation is about 150 feet. The highest single "climb" is about 80 feet elevation gain.

In Connemara, the 2 big hills (out of Leenane, and the Hell of the West) climb about 250 feet each, over less than 2 miles. There is another climb at about mile 7, bigger than anything in Dublin, that usually does not even get a mention.

Neither climb is particularly brutal, but it does add up.

And I remember going up an incline that would have been around mile 7 (half), 20 (marathon) or 33 (ultra), when another runners asked me if that was "the" hill. :rolleyes:

He didn't believe me when I pointed to the right and said "no, that's that one", but I supposed he found out soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

No harm in being ambitious is there..

Half:

Full:
    Alanm
    Jester1980
    Corkrunner71
    Bugsy2000
    Plodder
    Acurno - 3.19
    dx22 Sub 4hrs
    Mithril

Ultra:
    Mick Rice 4:15
    RacoonQueen
    Izoard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Mick Rice wrote: »

Ultra:

We need a new emoticon for that.

6:29/mile. Fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

We need a new emoticon for that.

6:29/mile. Fantastic.
    Yeah i totally agree mate its animal watching these guys clock up these miles and take it in there stride.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Out for a recovery run today while away on a family break in Co. Clare and surrounded by the beautiful scenery I decided that I'm in for the Ultra.
    Maybe I'm still delirious after DCM?

No idea of a time yet, I need to start reading up on Ultras and I'll be asking for a lot of advice on here.

Half:

Full:
    Alanm
    Jester1980
    Corkrunner71
    Bugsy2000
    Plodder
    Acurno - 3.19
    dx22 Sub 4hrs
    Mithril

Ultra:
    RacoonQueen
    Izoard
    Liamo123 : Too early to put my balls on the chopping block
    Marthastew: finish with a smile on my face

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Marthastew wrote: »
    Out for a recovery run today while away on a family break in Co. Clare and surrounded by the beautiful scenery I decided that I'm in for the Ultra.
    Maybe I'm still delirious after DCM?

No idea of a time yet, I need to start reading up on Ultras and I'll be asking for a lot of advice on here.

You were sub 3:35 in DCM right? a few weeks after a good time in Berlin? If I'm right, you should be going for 6 hours, at the slowest IMO.

Advertisement