Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Road rage from a pedestrian sort of

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭tittle mouse

i agree he was wrong to take pictures BUT that woman had no right to park in a disabled car space. And had she obeyed the rules of the road the OPs situation could have been avoided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

i agree he was wrong to take pictures BUT that woman had no right to park in a disabled car space. And had she obeyed the rules of the road the OPs situation could have been avoided.

Yes lets all perfectly obey the rules of the road starting tomorrow, to avoid strangers walking up to your car and taking your photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Well put it this way, if I've got some mincing poof waving a camera in front of my face and shouting the odds, I'm not fkn saying cheese.

I don't recall OP saying that he asked anyone to say cheese

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Yea, the next time you depart from perfection, you wont mind a stranger running up to take your photo of course.

I would have no issue with it at all if I was in a public place. I suppose that's the difference between me and arrogant, aggressive dicks like him.

You may agree he was wrong to take pictures but that's kinda irrelevant because the OP did no wrong here, it's something people here seem to be glossing over. It was the other guy making thinly veiled threats and acting in an intimidating manner thats the issue here, neither of which the OP carried out.

I for one minute don't believe the lady in the RR was intimitated probably just pissed she got called up on something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Antikythera

I don't recall OP saying that he asked anyone to say cheese

Correct. He was saying 'watch the birdie'.

I for one minute don't believe the lady in the RR was intimitated probably just pissed she got called up on something

I'd bet OP chooses his customers very carefully.

• Advertisement

I would have no issue with it at all if I was in a public place. I suppose that's the difference between me and arrogant, aggressive dicks like him.

It was not the "arrogant aggressive dick" that had his photo taken though, was it?

Whether she was intimidated or not is irrevelant, as is your assumption that she was not. How does the OP have the right to photo anyone she deems to be doing wrong? Or that is doing wrong?

Would you do this Head The Wall,, take photos of rule breakers, then go to the garda station? If you would, then debating it is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

robbie7730 wrote: »
    It was not the "arrogant aggressive dick" that had his photo taken though, was it?

Whether she was intimidated or not is irrevelant, as is your assumption that she was not. How does the OP have the right to photo anyone she deems to be doing wrong? Or that is doing wrong?

Would you do this Head The Wall,, take photos of rule breakers, then go to the garda station? If you would, then debating it is pointless.

Let me say it again anyone in a public place can have their picture taken, what's so hard to understand here. There is no law stating you can not have your picture taken.

If the OP makes astatement to the guards it is not the picture taking that the RR male would be cautioned for it would be the threatening and intimidating behaviour.

Let me say it again anyone in a public place can have their picture taken, what's so hard to understand here. There is no law stating you can not have your picture taken.

Well the hard thing to understand is, you think its ok to have your pic taken while sitting in your car, simply because you say its legal. So anything legal is perfectly ok to do then?
    If the OP makes a statement to the guards it is not the picture taking that the RR male would be cautioned for it would be the threatening and intimidating behaviour.

Your still confusing legality with acceptable behaviour. I believe many people would be intimidated by a stranger walking over and taking their photo as is the case here. You can tell us on your keyboard it would not bother you, but at least be honest to yourself.

Let me say it again anyone in a public place can have their picture taken

Oh go on then.
    There is no law stating you can not have your picture taken.

Is there a law stating you cannot object to having your picture taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

I could quite easily imagine the situation from the side of the guy and woman in RR.
    "Hi, Im parked right outside. Dont be long, just managed to get a space." (if they weren't local, maybe they didnt even notice it was a disabled space)
    Guy returns to car
    "Some strange man came over peering into the car. Checking the tax and insurance. Scared the life outa me. Then he banged on the window and told me to move as Im in a disabled spot."
    "Next thing i know he's taking photos of the car"
    "Didnt know what to do, so moved on a bit as he was very intimidating"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

The OP didnt feel the driver was doing wrong he KNEW she was. It is illegal for anyone without the correct badge to park in disabled parking!!!

No he didn't KNOW.
    From what OP has said, she must have stopped there just a minute ago.
    She was talking over the phone.
    How do you all here know, that after finishing conversation she wasn't going to take disabled badge from glovebox to put it in the windscreen and leave the car?

Would any of you be happy if OP was waiting for you in the shrubs if you park in "pay and display" zone and jump out with the camera before you even manage to get out of car to pay for parking and get a slip.

I must confess I did something a bit similar to OP once few years back.
    On a complete empty parking near the beach there was 4 disable parking spaces in the front. Car arrived and parked straight in one of those places.
    3 people in middle age got out of the car and headed towards the beach. I was just near, didn't see any disabled badge, so I just asked which of them was disabled? No one replied anything, but driver came back to the car, and put a disabled badge out from the glove box into the windscreen, gave me a look which could kill, and went to the beach.
    I thought then - never again I'll bother if I'm not 100% certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I could quite easily imagine the situation from the side of the guy and woman in RR.
    "Hi, Im parked right outside. Dont be long, just managed to get a space." (if they weren't local, maybe they didnt even notice it was a disabled space)
    Guy returns to car
    "Some strange man came over peering into the car. Checking the tax and insurance. Scared the life outa me. Then he banged on the window and told me to move as Im in a disabled spot."
    "Next thing i know he's taking photos of the car"
    "Didnt know what to do, so moved on a bit as he was very intimidating"
    If I came back to my mother in the car and she told me that story i'd ask her what she was doing parking in a disabled space. IMO you'd want to be one stupid redneck to get wound up over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

You're the guardian of your own conscience.

You're not the enforcer of the rules of the road/road traffic acts.

What the person in the disabled space appears to have been wrong.

What you did was unwise.

The potential downside for you of what you did far outweighed any possible benefit to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

I'd bet OP chooses his customers very carefully.
    Yeah the stupid ones who park in disabled parking spaces who are not disabled but who do need to answer their mobile phone. Maybe some people consider not being able to answer their phone as a disability

jluv wrote: »
    Yeah the stupid ones who park in disabled parking spaces who are not disabled but who do need to answer their mobile phone. Maybe some people consider not being able to answer their phone as a disability

Its not as bad as parking in the space and going shopping, they were still in the car. Im sure some drivers with disability badges park in disabled spaces even when not actually carrying a disabled person. That is no better, and probably worse.

Would the OP wait and see that they are in fact carrying a disabled person, or be happy just to see the badge?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

qz wrote: »
    In the immortal words of Bilbo Baggins: "Keep your nose out of trouble, and no trouble will come to you".

You sound like you have nothing better to do, so whatever mess you got into, you seem to have put yourself firmly there. I mean, reporting a car to the Gardai for pulling into a disabled space in order to take a phone call? Really?

So, you're a disabled driver and roll up to said parking space, and see aforementioned twat on the phone in the space that's supposed to be for you. You're hardly going to swing out of the car, into the wheelchair and roll up and peg stones at her window - and why should you have to ? She's NOT SUPPOSED to be there !!

So, rather than take the law into your own hands, you use an Authority, say, like in this case, the one across the road, the ones charged with enforcing, oh, I dunno TRAFFIC law............or at least someone else does, on your behalf.

Wow, what a thought - consideration for others and respect for the law.

Like, yeah, REALLY.

OP, report the asshole. You too have their reg no.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

Reloc8 wrote: »
    You're the guardian of your own conscience.

You're not the enforcer of the rules of the road/road traffic acts.

What the person in the disabled space appears to have been wrong.

What you did was unwise.

The potential downside for you of what you did far outweighed any possible benefit to anyone.
    Disagree.If you accept peoople using disables spaces then lets not have them and then disabled people will not feel valued in this society.But if we are going to have them,lets them not have them as a token thing. If you don't need it,NEVER park there,ever! Points..people only worry when it totally effects them.If she was in danger of getting 2 points would she do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

galwaytt wrote: »
    So, you're a disabled driver and roll up to said parking space, and see aforementioned twat on the phone in the space that's supposed to be for you. You're hardly going to swing out of the car, into the wheelchair and roll up and peg stones at her window - and why should you have to ? She's NOT SUPPOSED to be there !!

So, rather than take the law into your own hands, you use an Authority, say, like in this case, the one across the road, the ones charged with enforcing, oh, I dunno TRAFFIC law............or at least someone else does, on your behalf.

Wow, what a thought - consideration for others and respect for the law.

Like, yeah, REALLY.

OP, report the asshole. You too have their reg no.

This good samaratin argument wears thin when you consider the extent to which the OP acted. A simple "You should probably move out of that space, someone else may need to use it" remark would have been more than enough in the circumstances. Any further positive action, ie: the taking of photographs and threatening to involve the Gardai, for an act which did not even directly affect the OP goes beyond reasonable and I feel the OP should accept that he landed himself in the situation.

Consideration for others is all well and good, but don't be an idiot and take an offensive position and voluntarily assume the risk.

jluv wrote: »
    Points..people only worry when it totally effects them.If she was in danger of getting 2 points would she do it?

Of course she wouldnt, thats why nobody ever speeds, they might get 2 penalty points, or be photographed by the OP now.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,231 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The point is it benefits society and our local community.
    I wouldnt like to see things go so far as what happened in China in the last week or so when some toddler was repeatedly hit by cars when she wandered out on the road.
    Many people just kept walking and didnt intervene - the kid dies.

What happened to the little girl in China was terrible. I was expecting someone to bring that up in this thread to speak in favour of the OP. I did not expect the OP to bring it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,231 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

FFS OP is trolling. Please do not feed the troll any further. The mods have been notified :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

qz wrote: »
    This good samaratin argument wears thin when you consider the extent to which the OP acted. A simple "You should probably move out of that space, someone else may need to use it" remark would have been more than enough in the circumstances. Any further positive action, ie: the taking of photographs and threatening to involve the Gardai, for an act which did not even directly affect the OP goes beyond reasonable and I feel the OP should accept that he landed himself in the situation.

Consideration for others is all well and good, but don't be an idiot and take an offensive position and voluntarily assume the risk.

Kind of sad that trying to do something decent is considered beyond reasonable and worthy of "you had it coming" shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I sometimes collect a passenger that carries a disability badge in her handbag, she is legaly blind, but could easily climb into a rangerover. I usualy need to park before getting badge from her.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Can the mods do us all a favour here and close this thread? Just going around and around in circles. Some people think that what the OP did was right, other think he should have kept his nose out. Either way he was only doing what he thought was the right thing to do. Surely if the rest of the country did the same, we would live in a better place, or be in the mess we are currently in.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

unkel wrote: »
    FFS OP is trolling. Please do not feed the troll any further. The mods have been notified :(

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement