Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Road rage from a pedestrian sort of

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Eleganza

Tails142 wrote: »
    Why making such a big point that its a range rover, badge envy or something?
    A person with limited mobility would find it difficult to climb up in to a Range Rover.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

CiniO wrote: »
    Sorry man but the biggest bully I can see in this story is OP.
    He started all the situation.
    He had no clue if Land rover really had no right to park in disabled space.
    Even there was no badge, there was still a driver in it - who could put up a badge at any minute.

Besides from the story it looks like someone just pulled in disabled space to wait until other space was empty. I can't see anything wrong with it.
    Sitting in a car waiting for a minute, doesn't neccesserily mean parking.
    Totally disagree. The OP took the time to drive around looking for a legit parking space as I'm sure that disabled parking space was available to him also but chose to do the right thing and not park there because a disabled user might ned it as parking was obviously limited at that time. Meanwhile the lady in question decided that she was important enough to park there until something else became available .What makes her different from everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Why making such a big point that its a range rover, badge envy or something? If it was a mondeo or something would you have pointed that out?

I have seen the Gardaí pull up beside a car 'stopped' in a disabled bay, and move them along. OP, you should mind your own business unless you were looking to park in the disabled bay yourself... how did you know the driver wasn't disabled for instance?

I think to park in a disabled bay you need to display a blude badge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Tito Ortiz

A real patriot is the fellow who gets a parking ticket and rejoices that the system works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Juwwi

I would have some concern that he took a photo of my insurance disc though - thats a motivation in itself to make a formal statement if only to be able to refer to it if a dodgy claim comes about

Thats what I'd be concerned about.
    A visit to the guards to make a statement will only take 15 minutes if only to have it on file.

You should of just left it at asking her to move imo but 2 wrongs dont make a right and he was wrong and you did'nt threaten the woman in the RR.

The world is becoming more dangerous by the day you just dont know who the person standing next to u is any more.

My advice report it for peace of mind and in future remember this incident
    when tempted to approach a stranger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

Why making such a big point that its a range rover, badge envy or something? If it was a mondeo or something would you have pointed that out?

I have seen the Gardaí pull up beside a car 'stopped' in a disabled bay, and move them along. OP, you should mind your own business unless you were looking to park in the disabled bay yourself... how did you know the driver wasn't disabled for instance?
    Of course, you're right, it was all badge envy after all:rolleyes:
    The emphasis on teh vehicle is because it is one of the biggest suburban passeger "cars" on Irish Roads, so big that you have to climb into it. Its so obviously out of place in a disabled spot than any other vehicle on the road and yes there is always the underlying issue of the wealthy not obeying rules that are just for the "little" people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Right so, I guess I'll crawl back under my rock and just turn a blind eye to such behaviour in the future.

Turning a blind eye is a great cultural trait, it leads to great banks, responsible property developers and politicans of the highest calibre:rolleyes:
    I will sleep on it and decide tomorrow whether to make a statement.

I would have some concern that he took a photo of my insurance disc though - thats a motivation in itself to make a formal statement if only to be able to refer to it if a dodgy claim comes about
    maybe but it's propbably a shiite quality phone with flash obscuring what the out of focus image, grime and raindrops aren't. I would be very surprised if he got a usable quality image from that. I've moved back here from Africa after a few years , have to say Irish people seem fierce aggressive/deranged in comparison. My problem is I would get out of the car. Especially so close to the cop station ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

You wouldn't believe the number of people I see with broken jaws and broken/missing teeth that could have been avoided if they just minded their own business.....
    Yeah she's in the wrong and it's against the law and you may be a God fearing goodie two shoes driver but it doesn't matter how right you are when you have a handful of teeth, a smashed face and a court case and dental implant bill for €10k.

Don't make a formal complaint as any further proceedings will involve them finding out your name and address.... Leave it as is, you have a pic of their car if anything ever happens....

Just go about your own business and stop looking for trouble as you normally find it....

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

The blokes most likely full of shíte, probably trying to show off to the woman for whatever reason.
    I wouldn't bother reporting it to the guards as nothing can be done about it.

Right so, I guess I'll crawl back under my rock and just turn a blind eye to such behaviour in the future.

Turning a blind eye is a great cultural trait, it leads to great banks, responsible property developers and politicans of the highest calibre:rolleyes:
    I will sleep on it and decide tomorrow whether to make a statement.

Please don't stop being a concerned citizen.I'm sorry you are getting grief for it. I HAVE to have this arguement all the time so I think it's great that you feel strongly enough to do so even though you don't have to.Thanks..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

kceire wrote: »
    sit down, and have a tall glass of freezing cold Bulmers.

you'll feel better then :D
    Lol, a vigilante with no heart! I might suggest 'Captain Yellow' if you're looking for a title.
    Why making such a big point that its a range rover, badge envy or something?

We can do without the "comedy" answers and personal snipes please.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

ZENER wrote: »
    A poor indication of the way society has gone in my opinion. Disabled spaces are for Drivers/vehicles in possession of an appropriate sticker. They are not holding places while you wait for an ordinary parking space or answer your phone or wait while the kids run in to the chipper (I saw this today in Swords !)
    Of course you are right here.
    But I still can't see too much problem with lady waiting there until other space was released. Of course it was against the law, as million of other things people do on the road.

The OP did right, the RR moved which was the desired outcome. The bully was the one with the problem, some nuckle dragger who felt obliged to protect his wifey from the bad man who pointed out a mistake she'd made !!

OP said himself that guy took pictures of his discs. Maybe that man suspected that OP was driving without tax or nct.
    He had the same right to take pictures of OP's discs, as OP of taking pictures of Land Rover.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

OP I'd appreciate your time and effort for making a formal complaint against this bully. You've got my support FWIW.

ZENER wrote: »
    Amazing !! We have a thread here entitled "Obnoxious Parking" where this sort of behaviour would get the OP a medal and much kudos indeed !!

The irony of that thread is that the person who started it had an issue with a lad using a mobility scooter on the road. Rarely look into that thread, one for the thanks whores imo.

jluv wrote: »
    Please don't stop being a concerned citizen.I'm sorry you are getting grief for it. I HAVE to have this arguement all the time so I think it's great that you feel strongly enough to do so even though you don't have to.Thanks..
    Thanks yourself .. I am getting my sense of perspective back after all the negative posts. At the end of the day its about having spaces for people who NEED them:)

Tito Ortiz wrote: »
    A real patriot is the fellow who gets a parking ticket and rejoices that the system works.
    Actually, having picked up speeding tickets for travelling 27kmph in a 20kmph zone and 35kmph in a 30kmph zone I'm glad that the system works in the country I live in compared to being back in Ireland where you take you life in your hands driving on the road every day and are disrespected at every turn by other road users.
    Enforcement of the rules of the road is great and if that means I have to pay 15 euro fines every now and then that's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭McCrack

Exactly, OP you should mind your own business in public with things that do not effect you directly.

You sound like a crank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmD2wkQkhnE

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

kermitpwee wrote: »
    For gods sake forget about it and mind your own business in future, you brought this on yourself. You are neither a traffic warden or garda so in future stay out of incidents such as you have described.

P.s I feel a little sorry for you but you really need to get some sense or you will get your jaw broken when you approach the next person, also I dont think it was the most sensible to take a photo of a car when there was a lady in it.

Get his jaw broken for telling someone who's illegally parked to move? Would you cop on, some lad is going to beat him into hospital for telling someone to move? I don't really think he should of done it but i don't think he brought it on himself, it was just some ejjit looking for an excuse to try and act like a big man.

But I still can't see too much problem with lady waiting there until other space was released. Of course it was against the law, as million of other things people do on the road.

OP said himself that guy took pictures of his discs. Maybe that man suspected that OP was driving without tax or nct.
    He had the same right to take pictures of OP's discs, as OP of taking pictures of Land Rover.
    What elements of the rules of the road don't you think apply to you.
    My experience of my Eastern European friends is that they wouldn't break the rules of the road when back in their home countries as the Police carry guns and will shake them down for whatever cash they are carrying on them. No fear of a ticket in the post. Their brand of justice is dispensed swiftly and without paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

OP do you have a disabled parking permit for your car?

There is nothing sure fire to ramp up someone's emotions than to have a stranger whip out a camera/phone and start taking pictures of you/your property.

With the Garda station so close it would have been inherently easier and better to go straight across and inform them.

The end result would have been far greater. The gobsh1te in the RR would have had the law come down on them and been fined (penalty points for this kinda offence yet??) and may have learned a lesson far better than the way you handled it. And hopefully you wouldn't have had to deal with the other guy.

You live you learn I guess, your heart was in the right place but your way of handling it was not the best option available to you i'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Laisurg wrote: »
    Get his jaw broken for telling someone who's illegally parked to move? Would you cop on, some lad is going to beat him into hospital for telling someone to move?

This happens all the time, I kid you not.... There's a load of Pee'd off people out there who don't need much of an excuse to do some serious damage. Why would you speak up and put yourself in this situation when it has no benefit to you at all????

Uriel. wrote: »
    OP do you have a disabled parking permit for your car?

There is nothing sure fire to ramp up someone's emotions than to have a stranger whip out a camera/phone and start taking pictures of you/your property.

With the Garda station so close it would have been inherently easier and better to go straight across and inform them.

The end result would have been far greater. The gobsh1te in the RR would have had the law come down on them and been fined (penalty points for this kinda offence yet??) and may have learned a lesson far better than the way you handled it. And hopefully you wouldn't have had to deal with the other guy.

You live you learn I guess, your heart was in the right place but your way of handling it was not the best option available to you i'd say
    Cant argue with that - I will certainly get the gardai next time and hopefully get a better outcome. Of course the best outcome would be that any car I see in a disabled spot has a genuine blue badge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Antikythera

Eleganza wrote: »
    My experience of my Eastern European friends is that they wouldn't break the rules of the road when back in their home countries ...

Going by my experience of my Eastern European friends, OP is getting at least a broken camera.

RoverJames wrote: »
    The irony of that thread is that the person who started it had an issue with a lad using a mobility scooter on the road. Rarely look into that thread, one for the thanks whores imo.
    I do take offence to the w.... word used as I only thank what I see as reasonable or that I agree with. Basing my thanks on the discussion at hand

This happens all the time, I kid you not.... There's a load of Pee'd off people out there who don't need much of an excuse to do some serious damage. Why would you speak up and put yourself in this situation when it has no benefit to you at all????
    The point is it benefits society and our local community.
    I wouldnt like to see things go so far as what happened in China in the last week or so when some toddler was repeatedly hit by cars when she wandered out on the road.
    Many people just kept walking and didnt intervene - the kid dies.
    I know this is not in the same league at all but I think a civil society is better for civic minded intervention in the public interest.

Going by my experience of my Eastern European friends, OP is getting at least a broken camera.
    but they still wouldn't f*ck about with the local police force regardless of how badass they think they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Eleganza wrote: »
    What elements of the rules of the road don't you think apply to you.
    All apply to everyone.
    I just said that if I wanted to go around and try to take picture of everyone braking any rule of the road, we would be talking of about 200 pictures per hour.
    No point in being too pedantic.

My experience of my Eastern European friends is that they wouldn't break the rules of the road when back in their home countries as the Police carry guns and will shake them down for whatever cash they are carrying on them. No fear of a ticket in the post. Their brand of justice is dispensed swiftly and without paperwork.
    What country are they from?

What country are they from?
    None of your business. I have made a point of not bringing your nationality or origin in to the discussion.

jluv wrote: »
    I do take offence to the w.... word used as I only thank what I see as reasonable or that I agree with. Basing my thanks on the discussion at hand

Thanks whores are those who post stuff with the hope that others will thank it, so you have no reason to be offended I imagine :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

kermitpwee wrote: »
    I dont think it was the most sensible to take a photo of a car when there was a lady in it.
    Tito Ortiz wrote: »
    U took a photo of a woman in a car... U thought u were the big man bullying the woman. Thats what the gardai are for.. U got off lightly, and put ur wife in danger

Neither of ye seem to have an issue with the RR driver taking pictures of the OP in an intimidating manner

Any wonder there's so many muppets on the road if this is how people interpret the law

Uriel. wrote: »

I don't understand what level of privacy you seem to think people in public places are entitled to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement