Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - General discussion & technical queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Occono wrote: »
    You'd probably gasp at my DVD collection.....I couldn't really rent so I bought them all the time. Maybe I can use it as a fort.....

Yeah I've amassed a massive collection because buying as better than renting. :D
    Occono wrote: »
    Streaming has been no hassle for me, and I'm on a terrible underperforming Eircom connection at home, (Should be about 1MB, never goes above 500KB), what exactly is your problem? Is it buffering all the time? I've seen it do that at some times of the day but not very often. I haven't had any audio sync problems, can you give examples?

For the moment, you can check when new content comes in on the Facebook/Twitter pages, I imagine a better way might come in time, but it's not perfect. Don't know about search, the categories work well for me.

Nope. It never buffers after the initial load. For about 20 - 50 seconds at the start the quality will be at a choppy, YouTube level but then will usually become perfect for the duration. But in some shows / movies the audio will be maybe a half second out of sync and get progressively worse throughout the viewing. I've found uninstalling and reinstalling the app fixes this for a couple of viewings but then the issue reoccurs.

*This is happening on the PS3 and iPad interface. I'm with UPC on a 25MB line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭wrafter

I rang Netflix on their 1800 number today. Ten second queue, answered by a chap with a US accent.

My question. Irish citizen, Irish address, Irish credit card... what happens if I want to access my account in another country... will it work.

(I was thinking Spotify, which works for 14 days in another country.)

His answer, it will work in USA, Canada, Mexico, UK and other countries outside of Ireland, but it won't work in countries where the service hasn't yet commenced.

I'd rather fancy having this work for me in Spain. Anyone have any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

wrafter wrote: »
    I rang Netflix on their 1800 number today. Ten second queue, answered by a chap with a US accent.

My question. Irish citizen, Irish address, Irish credit card... what happens if I want to access my account in another country... will it work.

His answer, it will work in USA, Canada, Mexico, UK and other countries outside of Ireland, but it won't work in countries where the service hasn't yet commenced.

Sign up to witopia or any of the other VPN sites that let you pick the country you want you ip address to be from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

wrafter wrote: »

I recommend OverPlay VPN. Some one here sugested it and I have to say its great. You download a piece of software and pay at few dollars a month and it lets you pick the country you want to live in (virtually :D). You pick lets say the USA and you can watch ABC player or A&E and many more. If you are out side Ireland you can pick Irleand and watch Tv3 & Rte players and also AERTV.
    So pay here in Euro and Virtually live in any country in the world and enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭dodzy

Just watched incidious. Absolutely terrible, but thems the breaks :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It's just a pity it runs in Silverlight. I find it really heats up my laptop processor unnecessarily, same with Flash!

HTML5 would rock!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Solair wrote: »
    It's just a pity it runs in Silverlight. I find it really heats up my laptop processor unnecessarily, same with Flash!

HTML5 would rock!

HTML5 would have the same problem, unless you've got hardware acceleration.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

The Interrupters has been added.:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Interrupters

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

Solair wrote: »

HTML5 would rock!

Apparently Silverlight has very good DRM and thats why they use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Macronelf

The American Netflix is great. Been watching the X-Files. 202 episodes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I have been really enjoying this service, watching Californication ATM. I only have a 3mb eircom line and the picture quality is perfect, watching it on a PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Macronelf wrote: »
    The American Netflix is great. Been watching the X-Files. 202 episodes!

Unfortunately the X-Files just got added to Sky Go over here, so I'm guessing it won't be on the Netflix here soon, I was hoping for it. Even though I have Sky Go I might bother with a proxy now, the picture quality on it is terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Fysh wrote: »
    HTML5 would have the same problem, unless you've got hardware acceleration.

I know that much. There's apparently pretty shockingly bad hardware acceleration support for the browser plugin for Mac OS X anyway. Playing a video shouldn't cause the fans to switch on!! It's not that intensive an operation if it's performed by the correct chip!!

Flash is equally diabolical !!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Macronelf

Anyone have trouble with their ISP's over Netflix? I've had to change from Imagine 'cause they throttled my connection to 0.3 MBs

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Rjd2 wrote: »
    The Interrupters has been added.:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Interrupters

Is this on the Irish site? Can't find it on the US one and it looks really interesting.

The excellent Boss is now available to watch on the US store. Only there for the next 23 days so best get watching it asap, it's by far the best show of the past year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

The excellent Boss is now available to watch on the US store. Only there for the next 23 days so best get watching it asap, it's by far the best show of the past year.

Brilliant show. Surprised its up on Netflix so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

it's always sunny in philadelphia now available on netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

mystic86 wrote: »
    it's always sunny in philadelphia now available on netflix

One of the best shows around, well worth a watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

I have no idea how to get Netflix on my PS3? ..Its no where to be seen..i tried checking in my channels but the only things that are there is RTE player and MUBI..anyone have any ideas how to find it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I have no idea how to get Netflix on my PS3? ..Its no where to be seen..i tried checking in my channels but the only things that are there is RTE player and MUBI..anyone have any ideas how to find it?

It just appeard on mine one day maybe you have to be on the latest update?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭dodzy

Install ps3 home ( end of the icon list on the main screen ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Bah, was going to revert back to the Irish Netflix to watch Always Sunny, but I lost the paper where I wrote down my original DNS number... :(

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Bah, was going to revert back to the Irish Netflix to watch Always Sunny, but I lost the paper where I wrote down my original DNS number... :(

all you have to do is change it to automatic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Mickeroo wrote: »
    all you have to do is change it to automatic?
    Woohoo! Thanks :D

It just appeard on mine one day maybe you have to be on the latest update?

Yeah i have the latest update
    dodzy wrote: »
    Install ps3 home ( end of the icon list on the main screen ).

and yeah i have home installed..maybe PS just decided to leave my console out of it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Yeah i have the latest update

and yeah i have home installed..maybe PS just decided to leave my console out of it lol

Just go into Home anyway and it will most likely start downloading the latest update for Home and when it is finished I'd bet you will have Netflix in the TV section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

Change Parental Control Setting
    Parental controls allow you to block content above a certain age certification.
    Show all Films and TV
    Show 18 and below
    Show 16 and below (including Guidance)
    Show 12A and below
    Show G and below, Suitable for children

anything above G allows viewing 'american dad' and 'family guy'
    pity there isn't anything in between imo anyway

Didn't download any update when i opened Home..seems i'll have to call them up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Thanks for the recommendation on Boss watched the first 2 episodes tonight excellent show

It's a shame the Starz Deal comes to an end with Netflix on Feb 28, thats going to be a lot of content dissappearing from US Netflix 2500 programmes/tv shows from what I've read.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement