Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a wine cellar

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

So Im off to the Alsace region next week, I have looked up the medal winning vinyards and planning on visiting them, but any advice would be great if you have any.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

afatbollix wrote: »
    So Im off to the Alsace region next week, I have looked up the medal winning vinyards and planning on visiting them, but any advice would be great if you have any.

There are several vineyards owned by various members of the "Ginglinger" family. Don't pass them by! Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭mikep

Hi All

Haven't been here for a while..

Recently added to my stash are:
    1988 Clos L'Eglise (for the crimbo dinner)
    1996 Chx Rocher bellevue Figeac
    1991 Chx Tronquoy-Lallande
    1999 Chx Cantemerle

I recently opened one of the Tesco Finest Barolo..still V tannic but developing nicely.

Trying an '06 Vergelegen Reserve Cab Sauv, reduced to €10 at the mo in tesco. Am going to buy a few in the 25% offer thingy..€ 7.50 for this will be a bargain for putting away....Yum!

Just a quick not on the Tesco Finest Barolo 2006 , this repays putting away as we tried it over christmas, it needed a run through the good 'ol vinturi into the decanter but was delicious...so much so all 3 were demolished :rolleyes:
    Keep an eye out for it in the next 25% off sale...

Also on the Vergelegen it will need a good few years put away and should turn out very good...another bargain in the 25% sales

My plan during 2013 is to buy a temperature controlled cabinet as where I store now gets a little warm in summer...

Any one else got anything to add???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Had high hopes of getting a temp controlled cabinet in the last while but it never happened! The 'wine cellar' (i.e. box in the bottom of cupboard) got a bit of attention over Christmas so is looking rather bare now - not that there was anything particularly 'special' there anyway! Highlight was probably a 2001 Chateau Peyrabon. Only a few bottles in there now, the 'star' (if you could call it that) being an 07 Tim Adams Aberfeldy Shiraz picked up from Tesco for €15 earlier in 2012. Think there's an Aldi Barolo there too - hopefully it'll be as good as your Barolo experience Mike! Should be receiving my 2010 Rhone en primeur collection (all one case of it!) some stage this year so may have to revisit the cabinet idea.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

How about one of these:)

/http://www.spiralcellars.co.uk/

We were very bold last night and lashed into the Clos Du Val 2006 Merlot ...delicious once it opened up,could have lasted a good few more years!!!
    The good thing is I can see that my wine stash is aging nicely in our non cellar!!
    Going to lock the door and hide the key for a while.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

So got my first corked bottle of wine from starting my cellar press cupboard thing.

Not bad for a 100 bottle collection. It also was in the bargin bin in a supermarket in france, A 2009 Coute du Rhone and cost €1,50 so really I should of know it was vinegar from the start! But you win some you also lose some.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,874 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

afatbollix wrote: »
    So got my first corked bottle of wine from starting my cellar press cupboard thing.

Not bad for a 100 bottle collection. It also was in the bargin bin in a supermarket in france, A 2009 Coute du Rhone and cost €1,50 so really I should of know it was vinegar from the start! But you win some you also lose some.

Any wine of any quality can be corked - the fact it was a rubbish wine would have nothing to do with it being corked. Corked wine doesn't taste of vinegar - it has a really strong musty smell and taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Any wine of any quality can be corked - the fact it was a rubbish wine would have nothing to do with it being corked. Corked wine doesn't taste of vinegar - it has a really strong musty smell and taste.

Yup, only had one bottle of corked wine in my life, and it smelled of mushrooms and dust.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

can anyone recommend a few reds that are on shelves around ireland at the moment that perhaps would be worth purchasing with a view to putting away for a while?

try keep it under the €20 euro mark

maybe €25 if its really something decent

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Wobs wrote: »
    How about one of these:)

/http://www.spiralcellars.co.uk/

Could be some fun going down there after a few bottles :D

Advertisement