Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I think I did the opposite of EnterNow and measured under load (with a board connected).

Oh I measure under load alright, I just don't probe the boards themselves. I measure at the psu or the edge connector, the edge connector is the perfect spot to measure it really as you're getting an accurate reading of what exactly is going to the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Nice to have so many tech heads on the forum by the way, puts my mind at ease for when everything I own starts to crumble and break :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    Nice to have so many tech heads on the forum by the way, puts my mind at ease for when everything I own starts to crumble and break :D

Chaos theory? Entropy? :D

Suff never breaks!
    I started getting a sound fault in the first level on my ibara PCB :eek:

pulled it out and gave the board a once over.
    Found one leg of the biggest cap was ever so slightly loose from the pcb.
    It must of gotten a knock somehow.
    Horrible **** but at least that one was an easy fix.
    not looking forward to what ever breaks next!

Still have a 20" polo to fix too but might long finger that one.

Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    Chaos theory? Entropy? :D

Is there a stage in entropy called 'Oisin manhandling his PCBs?' :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Cheers guys, I'll be trying to get this working later tonight so will post an update.
    I've a few new retro and retro related toys to try out but I'll jump right on the GNet testing when home.

Master of the Universe

urbanledge wrote: »
    Suff never breaks!
    I started getting a sound fault in the first level on my ibara PCB :eek:

pulled it out and gave the board a once over.
    Found one leg of the biggest cap was ever so slightly loose from the pcb.
    It must of gotten a knock somehow.
    Horrible **** but at least that one was an easy fix.
    not looking forward to what ever breaks next!

Still have a 20" polo to fix too but might long finger that one.

Ah **** man! That's annoying but yeah, at least it was something simple. Would make you want to build some kind of protective frame to mount PCBs in.

That's one thing that is really annoying about candy cabs. Because they're so small (well my ones anyway, maybe not 29 inch monsters!), PCB insertion can be tricky. Nothing worse than the feeling that you've just tipped off a cap.

Master of the Universe

Steve SI wrote: »
    Cheers guys, I'll be trying to get this working later tonight so will post an update.
    I've a few new retro and retro related toys to try out but I'll jump right on the GNet testing when home.

By the way, weird to hear you have issues with your GNET. It's one board I've never had a single issue with in either cabs. My SNK one especially as I've had issues with a good few boards in that one (thought the PSU might be on the fritz)

Works perfectly every time. What exactly is going wrong? Is it just booting to garbled sprites/not at all?

By the way, weird to hear you have issues with your GNET. It's one board I've never had a single issue with in either cabs. My SNK one especially as I've had issues with a good few boards in that one (thought the PSU might be on the fritz)

Works perfectly every time. What exactly is going wrong? Is it just booting to garbled sprites/not at all?

No display or sound whatsoever on it, just a black screen(no leds lighting up on the board either but it prob doesn't have any). Other PCB's working fine by the way except that Taito F3 I have so maybe the +5v is a bit low on my PSU.

Master of the Universe

Hmmm, I can check this evening regarding the GNET LED. I could have sworn it had one, but I may be thinking of the STV.

Hopefully it is the +5v, would be nice side effect if you managed to get the F3 going too :)

By the way, the GNET has the best volume pot of any PCB I've ever seen. Nice big thing sticking out which you can easily fiddle with while the board is still in the cab. Shame more aren't like that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

...Nice big thing sticking out which you can easily fiddle with...

147814.gif

(Too easy man, too easy :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Ive had to adjust the 5v on my psu too for the mortal kombat boards. Very fussy boards.

I think my atomiswave has the same psu as the egret 3. The bottom pot is the 5v if I remember correctly.

I measure at the jamma edge with a board connnected.

My +5v was actually +4.60v.
    Brought it up to +5.02v and the GNet is working now as well as my long thought dead Taito F3 board :D
    My +12v also seems to be +10v ish, should I also try and get that up to 12?

Cheers to everyone for the help. After actually reading up and learning how the multimeter works and what its reading its pretty darn simple really. So at least I've learned a new skill today :)

Only issue now is flashing games to the cf card for the GNet, getting an "ERROR: Flashing Data 0x00000005" when trying to do it. Not sure if its an issue with Win7 64bit or something else.

Anyone with a GNet ever get this?

vdxf.jpg

I get the same thing in English or Jap etc depending on the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭ondafly

Get it running at 12v and that will load. The Gnet is the most finicky of pcbs to get running right. And even the different games can have issues.

ondafly wrote: »
    Get it running at 12v and that will load. The Gnet is the most finicky of pcbs to get running right. And even the different games can have issues.

It seems to work with the smaller games that are below 10mb so maybe the cf card has gone dodge? The only other CF cards I have are 4GB sandisk extreme's and they give errors on the GNet anyway.

It seems to work with the smaller games that are below 10mb so maybe the cf card has gone dodge? The only other CF cards I have are 4GB sandisk extreme's and they give errors on the GNet anyway.

if the card works for other games, it should be fine. I just recall having loads of issues with G-Darius, and it all related to voltages. Its not very good either :P

Sonic Wings now - thats awesome

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Perhaps it's the card, I found the gnet to be mighty twitchy when it came to CF cards it liked.
    But your problem is at the flashing stage, which suggests the issue is with the flashing software, if all else fails Google it

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Perhaps it's the card, I found the gnet to be mighty twitchy when it came to CF cards it liked.
    But your problem is at the flashing stage, which suggests the issue is with the flashing software, if all else fails Google it

The card seems to be flashing and verifying fine now I'm using a 32bit version of windows 7(the flashing software doesn't like 64bit). But only small games are loading for me (below 10mb) on the actual hardware.

I dunno, maybe the card but it worked fine for Pyongy.

The card seems to be flashing and verifying fine now I'm using a 32bit version of windows 7(the flashing software doesn't like 64bit). But only small games are loading for me (below 10mb) on the actual hardware.

I dunno, maybe the card but it worked fine for Pyongy.

this is the exact card I'm using on mine

http://www.memoryc.com/flashmemorycards/cfcompact/2gbtranscend133xspeed.html

no issues at all. This is the same make that also came with my GNET, so I made sure to buy the same again.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Ronnie just posted this over on AO :eek:

Update RKLOK :

2 containers at sea

Line-up :

Capcom Mini Cute,SNK NEO 19,Sega (New) Astro,Sega Net Net City,Jaleco Pony 3,Sega Blast City,Taito Egret 2,Sammy Atomiswave,Namco Exeleena 1&2,Namco Cyberlead, Sega Aero (Table), Sega Megalo

I want that Aero table!!!

Master of the Universe

That moment where you accidentally read the +12v pin thinking it's the +5v pin and almost have a heart attack :eek:

First time I've read the Pony. +5.02v under load. That'll do! :)

Master of the Universe

And the SNK candy is +5.00v on the dot. Nice!

Master of the Universe

That lad I bought Ibara from is selling Ketsui for €480. Doesn't it usually go for about €600-700?

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=25555

That lad I bought Ibara from is selling Ketsui for €480. Doesn't it usually go for about €600-700?

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=25555

I always thought it was in the neighbourhood of €500 or there abouts for the bare PCB.

Master of the Universe

Oh yeah? So it's not that great of a deal?

/Drops monocle and closes paypal. :D (I wish I had that kind of money to blow on PCBs!)

Just talking to a guy over there who listed a good selection of Cave PCBs. Saw he had ESP Ra. De - but it's currently on hold. I'm next in line if it falls through.

He also has Guwange for £275... I'd love that board but argh, that's a lot of money.

Oh yeah? So it's not that great of a deal?

/Drops monocle and closes paypal. :D (I wish I had that kind of money to blow on PCBs!)

Just talking to a guy over there who listed a good selection of Cave PCBs. Saw he had ESP Ra. De - but it's currently on hold. I'm next in line if it falls through.

He also has Guwange for £275... I'd love that board but argh, that's a lot of money.

Ah I reckon €480 or €500 is pretty good for Ketsui, was only talking about it earlier - one of Cave's best games imo. If I owned it and was selling, I'd hope to get at least 500 anyway.

Lookin at his sale, they're pretty good prices I reckon. Under £300 for Guwange, Dangun for only £200? I thought that went for more. If I ever buy another Cave board I reckon I might go for Ibara, some of the finest shmup visuals ever imo. And it's at the lower end of the price bracket. :o

Master of the Universe

Definitely pick up Ibara when you can. It's the most addictive shmup I've ever come across. I put it back in my cab over the weekend (the main reason for the voltage testing above!) and have been playing it non stop since.

The prices it goes for are some of the best value for money I've seen. I was mad for buying a Battle Garegga PCB for a long time but after getting this for about half the price and it being so similar, there's no real need anymore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

I was mad for buying a Battle Garegga PCB for a long time but after getting this for about half the price and it being so similar, there's no real need anymore :)

But that's not how it works Matey .
    Now you think you're good but when time passes Garregga will haunt you again and then this happens :

money.gif

:D

• Advertisement

How far you getting on 1cc?
    I need to get back into it.GTAV has been eating all my game time.
    Had one or 5 credits on Saturday night saying that!

Advertisement