Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abolish Seanad

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

Cork24 wrote: »
    Higher taxes.

People like you need a tax on being a dump a@@ss

Read the full story, the government if this was voted in would be able to pass any law without having to go to the people of Ireland, the state will have full power no law could ever be hold up or put forward to the Irish courts,

Giving this government two much power is a bad thing
    Government elected by people, Seanad not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

At lest the Seanad could have hold a bill or allow the President to have a bill sent to the Supreme Court.

If this bill was passed

Not only was the Seanad removed also the power of the Irish president would have be removed allowing any Irish government to pass a bill which , also saw the removing of any debate that they see fit..

So for all you dumb people out there that votes yes.. This would have mean

The government could have passed a bill with no Seanad to put a hold on it no debat in the house allowed on that bill they feel fit to pass and our president would be powerless to have it moved to the Supreme Court

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The Presidents power to refer bills to the supreme Court wouldn't have changed.

As things stand the seanad votes in keeping with the government because of the inbuilt majority. Nobody had gained by the no result except senators themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

At lest the Seanad could have hold a bill or allow the President to have a bill sent to the Supreme Court.

If this bill was passed

Not only was the Seanad removed also the power of the Irish president would have be removed allowing any Irish government to pass a bill which , also saw the removing of any debate that they see fit..

The government could have passed a bill with no Seanad to put a hold on it no debat in the house allowed on that bill they feel fit to pass and our president would be powerless to have it moved to the Supreme Court

Yeah and it's performed this vital role twice in it's history.

Where would we be without the Seanad!?! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Government elected by people, Seanad not

The government, is elected by TD's who are elected by the voting public. The Seanad is elected by councillors who are elected by the people, also by the Taoiseach, who is elected by the TD's who are elected by the people, and finally the University senators who are elected by the people who have degrees. But all elected like the goverenment by the people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Dail needs to be reformed, so we do not have TD's on the piss until 5 in the morning during votes, or sexually harassing female members.

Today they have been thought a major lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

In the past, when I've heard the line "The Irish electorate get what they deserve, they're politically immature and uneducated etc.", I've always stood up for them and explained that it's not the Irish electorate that are the problem, it's the Irish system which is the problem

Well...looks like I'm fcuking eating my own hat tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

ebbsy wrote: »
    Today they have been thought a major lesson.
    Who? Who have been thought a lesson? The 60 Senators on 80 grand a year and massive pensions? The Government who gets to select which of their cronies gets to be a senator?

Or is it the people who will go to work tomorrow and have to pay tax which pays for all this?

Who exactly are you talking about teaching a lesson to?

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    In the past, when I've heard the line "The Irish electorate get what they deserve, they're politically immature and uneducated etc.", I've always stood up for them and explained that it's not the Irish electorate that are the problem, it's the Irish system which is the problem

Well...looks like I'm fcuking eating my own hat tonight.

So people who disagree with your view in a political issue are immature and uneducated. So because I voted no, I'm immature and uneducated. I voted No because I strongly believe in a two tier parliament. I voted no because I want two different house to vote on removing a judge or president from office. I voted no because I believe the cost of the senate is worth it even for the little power it has. I voted no because I believe that populist ideas can often be silly in the cold light of day. If I'm immature and uneducated because I voted no, I'm proud to be so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭ebbsy

hmmm wrote: »
    Who? Who have been thought a lesson? The 60 Senators on 80 grand a year and massive pensions? The Government who gets to select which of their cronies gets to be a senator?

Or is it the people who will go to work tomorrow and have to pay tax which pays for all this?

Who exactly are you talking about teaching a lesson to?

D'onr know but it sounded good at the time ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,799 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Victor wrote: »
    Results.

That's a very interesting map on the Abolition vote. All the urban centres/commuter belt rejected it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,790 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

If this bill was passed

WHAT. Seriously you think it is because of the Seanad the President sends legislation to the Supreme Court. You need to read up of things because he can and would still be able to do that with or without the Seanad and the people saying the YES side were scaremoungaring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

Congratulations to anyone who voted no.

I voted yes but am happy to accept the result.

Looks like Fianna Fail are predictably taking the credit for the vote. Their arrogance has not gone away.

ebbsy wrote: »
    D'onr know but it sounded good at the time ! :D

MUST THINK HARDER BEFORE VOTING (200 times)

Higher taxes.

People like you need a tax on being a dump a@@ss

Read the full story, the government if this was voted in would be able to pass any law without having to go to the people of Ireland, the state will have full power no law could ever be hold up or put forward to the Irish courts,

Giving this government two much power is a bad thing

You are so wrong there it is not even funny.

The government can pass laws now as the Seanad have no power to stop them they can propose changes and can vote against it 3 times but they can only hold it up for a max of 90 day's.

Secondly the President has to sign in a law and THIS WOULD STILL happened without the Seanad if it had been abolished.

Thirdly the President has pwers to sent laws to the Supreme Court to check its constinuality and WOULD STILL have had this power without the Seanad if it had been abolished.

Answer -- A. Check yesterday's posts.

Sorry should have read apologise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

infosys wrote: »
    The government, is elected by TD's who are elected by the voting public. The Seanad is elected by councillors who are elected by the people, also by the Taoiseach,

The Taoiseach's 11 are appointed not elected. There is no election involved in them becoming Senators and there is no
    democratic means for anyone to veto a Taoiseach's choice.

View wrote: »
    The Taoiseach's 11 are appointed not elected. There is no election involved in them becoming Senators and there is no
    democratic means for anyone to veto a Taoiseach's choice.

I never said they where, but the person who appoints them is elected to his office by the a TD's who are elected by the people. I should have been clearer the Taoiseach does not elect them but he appoints them in a democratic process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Cut the bull s#ite, the people that won out today, and claim victory are the men women and children that have been hardest hit by this government. Making excuses about this or that and why it was lost will make no difference. Roll on the local elections. SF will have to get their act together and listen to the people that support them up till today.

Cut the bull s#ite, the people that won out today, and claim victory are the men women and children that have been hardest hit by this government.
    Ivana Bacik, Ronan Mullen, and Trevor Ó Clochartaigh (whoever he is?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,991 ✭✭✭✭flazio

So, realistically, when are we likely to see this reform that Fianna Fail are looking for?

Ivana Bacik, Ronan Mullen, and Trevor Ó Clochartaigh (whoever he is?)

I am under the impression you are not dealing with a full deck, then I might be mistaken, could you please explain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

So happy for SF, as usual backing the wrong horse. I have to wonder how much the revelations that their leader, who shielded a paedophile who confessed to him personally, for 9 years affected the peoples faith in this most populist movement.

I am under the impression you are not dealing with a full deck, then I might be mistaken, could you please explain.
    Who are the people who as you say "have been hit hardest by the government" get to claim victory today? I've named some senators who will certainly feel victorious. Try and keep up.

Who are the people who as you say "have been hit hardest by the government" get to claim victory today? I've named some senators who will certainly feel victorious. Try and keep up.

Fook the senate, it is a shot across the bow of this arrogant government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Fook the senate, it is a shot across the bow of this arrogant government.
    It was also a shot across the bows of populist "politics", not only practised by an arrogant government but also by an arrogant opposition, led by SF and in particular its Leader Gerry "protect the peodophiles" Adams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

infosys wrote: »
    I should have been clearer the Taoiseach does not elect them but he appoints them in a democratic process.

The process isn't democratic if it has a sole foregone result. Were the Taoiseach's 11 to need Oireachtas approval it would be democratic, as it is that isn't the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    ... I've heard the line "The Irish electorate get what they deserve, they're politically immature and uneducated etc."...

The great thing for commentators about having 2 referendums on the same day that go opposite ways is that we have a basis to reject statements like this.

The government seemed able to convince (with very little effort) a substantial portion of the electorate that the appeals court had value, at an added cost of 3 million or so per year. That suggests that they were available to be convinced by the Seanad removal argument.

Perhaps the arguments put to the public to support a yes were considered to be unconvincing?

As for my political immaturity, I've at least read the government's proposals for the reformed Dail.
    Very "streamlined" unlike the much used Denmark Parliament example which has a fixed 30 day minimum consideration time before ratification and a lot more negotiation in Parliament.

And Varadkar complaining that his department has to spend 344 man-hours in a year on work for the Seanad is the same argument used to water down the freedom of information act and ombudsman enquiries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

So happy for SF, as usual backing the wrong horse. I have to wonder how much the revelations that their leader, who shielded a paedophile who confessed to him personally, for 9 years affected the peoples faith in this most populist movement.
    It was also a shot across the bows of populist "politics", not only practised by an arrogant government but also by an arrogant opposition, led by SF and in particular its Leader Gerry "protect the peodophiles" Adams.

The above two posts are at odds with your claims that Gerry Adams encouraged and advised his niece to confide in the police in this post.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86809325&postcount=12

And then go on to say how disgraceful it was, anyone that would try and use Aine Adams personal ordeal as an excuse to launch a personal attack/political scoring. Here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86809265&postcount=10

Run with the foxes and hunt with the hound springs to mind here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Enjoylife

Ok. So, Enda proposed over 70 Constitutional changes today, but was rebuffed by the electorate. The nation is awakening.

The next attempt to lessen our sovereignity, will probably come from the 'Contitutional Review group', which will report next March.

On the second Referendum, it will probably take a year to setup the new court, so it will be interesting to see how that develops, and which Judges are appointed to it.

We live in interesting times, given that no other Government, in the history of this state, has ever had the liathroidi to propose over seventy Constitutional changes, and judicial realignment, in just ONE DAY!

Advertisement