Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abolish Seanad

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    All the yes crowd left it to others to vote, believing it in the bag. The no crowd got off their a**es and voted. That's the difference here.

Mr. Micro think you've got it in one re the winning and losing of this referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Maybe he could save his embarrassment by now cutting the Dail by 33%.
    That's the thing, what embarrassment? Enda won just by holding the referendum because now he can claim to have fulfilled the promise.

I would have more respect for someone who changed their mind and held a proper referendum rather than one who held it just because he promised to. Even Enda knew this was a nonsense referendum so he couldn't stand behind it and debate it in public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

seamus wrote: »
    That's the thing, what embarrassment? Enda won just by holding the referendum because now he can claim to have fulfilled the promise.

True. His pre-election promise was to hold a referendum and he has done that. I doubt that he is too bothered by the result.

The real losers are those who have always been bleating on about how elitist it is i.e. the hard left. Interesting that most counties outside of Leinster voted 'Yes'.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

seamus wrote: »

I would have more respect for someone who changed their mind and held a proper referendum rather than one who held it just because he promised to. Even Enda knew this was a nonsense referendum so he couldn't stand behind it and debate it in public.

Maybe so BUT would that not also mean that his election promises were just hot air and waffle in order to get elected?

Maybe so BUT would that not also mean that his election promises were just hot air and waffle in order to get elected?

No, he held the election, as promised.

• Advertisement

COYW wrote: »
    No, he held the election, as promised.

He did. BUT he also urged a NO vote as did all of his party. Own goal whatever way you look at it.
    He also wasted at least 40 million on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

Seaneh wrote: »
    Well, that's plain nonsense.
    The people weren't offered reform or non-reform.

They were. The reform on offer was abolition. They appear to have opted for non-reform though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

View wrote: »
    They were. The reform on offer was abolition. They appear to have opted for non-reform though.

That isn't reform, that's simply abolition.
    Nothing concrete on reform was on offer - just another IOU from Kenny & Co.
    Thankfully, by a slim margin but overturning all expectations, the voting public has rejected that worthless IOU.

Now, I want the government of my country to do what they promised they would and instigate & facilitate real and proper reform in consultation with all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

He did. BUT he also urged a NO vote as did all of his party. Own goal whatever way you look at it.

He picked a fight with a soft target and ended up knocking himself out :o

Well that's not what the government seems to think. Michael Ring has just conceded defeat and stated that it is clear people are demanding Seanad reform, and that is what now must be done.

Why the government didn't realise that before now is beyond me.

That's the standard first step in long fingering something.

"We accept the people's view" whereas the reality is they just want to park it for another day or permanently. It doesn't mean they suddenly support the opposing view at all.

• Advertisement

That's the standard first step in long fingering something.

"We accept the people's view" whereas the reality is they just want to park it for another day or permanently. It doesn't mean they suddenly support the opposing view at all.

Yeah. We saw that with their election manifesto and 5 point plan.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    That isn't reform, that's simply abolition.

Abolition IS a reform. It would have reformed the constitution.

Anyone who voted against it, voted for the status quo and against the only reform on offer.

Don't expect anyone to race to offer another constitutional referendum on the Seanad since no one has even suggested a meaningful reform that might command a majority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

True. His pre-election promise was to hold a referendum and he has done that. I doubt that he is too bothered by the result.

The real losers are those who have always been bleating on about how elitist it is i.e. the hard left. Interesting that most counties outside of Leinster voted 'Yes'.

The hard left and rightist populists. Shure it costs 20M.

Look it needs to be reformed. Let people choose their "civic group" and only one. UCC graduate, public sector, private sector retail, private sector engineer. Etc.

Everybody gets a vote.

We would then just possibly have a house which isn't publicans, teachers and lawyers.

Anyone who voted against it, voted for the status quo and against the only reform on offer.

Don't expect anyone to race to offer another constitutional referendum on the Seanad since no one has even suggested a meaningful reform that might command a majority.

Abolition isn't the only possible form of reform, even though it was the only reform on offer. Simple logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

42500 margin in favour of keeping it :) just announced in rds

And if didn't "waste" €40m on it and didn't hold the election, you would be giving out about broken promises. You can't have it every way.

As I said before, I don't believe that the result makes much of a difference to him, as his level of canvassing displayed. It was very much a PR, 'I'd held the referendum just like I promised', job, in my opinion.

I voted 'No' and I am happy with the result. The campaign for it's abolition was built on populist guff, which deserved to be defeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

You think so?

Suppose for the sake of argument we abolished the Seanad 20 years ago. Who would today vote for its re-introduction in its current form? How many would vote to re-introduce it in any form? And, if so, which form would we want it to have?

Nobody would vote to re introduce it in its current form if it was abolished 20 years ago. I would like to think that those voted to keep it want it reformed. For me personally I want a Seanad that is elected by me and the rest of the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What will happen is that the government parties will talk about how they "need time to go away and think about the result", when really what they mean is they "need time for the result to go away and people stop thinking about it".

The Seanad itself and the opposition need to make sure that doesn't happen and start hammering the government with reform proposals starting today.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Any meaningful Seanad reform would most probably necessitate another referendum. We're not going to see another referendum related to the Seanad for a long time. All the people who voted No (but wanting reform) have unwittingly preserved the status quo for a long time to come. The likes of McDowell and co. have done a good job in ensuring the outcome that they wanted. Most Labour TD's were in favour of retaining the Seanad because it will give them somewhere to go after they get booted out of the Dail in a few years time. Well done people. You've all played right into their hands.

And if didn't "waste" €40m on it and didn't hold the election, you would be giving out about broken promises. You can't have it every way.

As I said before, I don't believe that the result makes much of a difference to him, as his level of canvassing displayed. It was very much a PR, 'I'd held the referendum just like I promised', job, in my opinion.

I voted 'No' and I am happy with the result. The campaign for it's abolition was built on populist guff, which deserved to be defeated.

I am not giving out at all. I'm happy. I voted No.
    I bet Enda is not happy though with his bloody nose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Where have you been for every election for the last x amount of years. The goverment should have told the truth of hard decision that they would have had to do kept the one about wages for the top and they would have been elected regardless I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I am not giving out at all. I'm happy. I voted No.

As long as people voted no for the reason of seeing a reform and now they must keep at it rather then voting against the government and just giving them a bloody noose then yes they should be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 TheRosseforp

Any meaningful Seanad reform would most probably necessitate another referendum. We're not going to see another referendum related to the Seanad for a long time. All the people who voted No (but wanting reform) have unwittingly preserved the status quo for a long time to come. The likes of McDowell and co. have done a good job in ensuring the outcome that they wanted. Most Labour TD's were in favour of retaining the Seanad because it will give them somewhere to go after they get booted out of the Dail in a few years time. Well done people. You've all played right into their hands.

Harry, you are clearly lacking an understanding on the topic at hand here.

Greater public representation is proven to pay dividends in many spheres on an economic, social and environmental scale. I think many 'yes' voters have failed to recognise this.

The process around the election of Senators and their lack of operational input is something which needs to be seriously addressed, but not abolished.

I want reform on a local and regional level, although I do not believe that will happen. I voted no to ensure that the centralisation of power is stagnated, the abolishment of the Seanad would have been a move to further concentrate power. This is undeniable.

I would be in favour of removal of the second house provided more local and regional powers would be delegated, but that will not happen. The only option for me was a 'no' vote to preserve our democratic stance, or more appropriately, stagnate its deterioration.

While I understand your ire at the current governmental system and processes, you need to acknowledge the wider picture here. Any contemporary policy will tell you that centralisation of power is an outdated, abstract ideal that is alien from other global democratic states. The media soundbites unfortunately had a large enough effect to convince almost half the voters that this was a good, progressive step. That is utterly frightening, and a sad indictment of our society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Try reforming an executed prisoner.

Where have you been for every election for the last x amount of years. The goverment should have told the truth of hard decision that they would have had to do kept the one about wages for the top and they would have been elected regardless I think.

Yes but as Pat Rabbitte said "that's what you tend to do during an election campaign" i.e. lie through your teeth.
    The truth is always better than lies.

Greater public representation is proven to pay dividends in many spheres on an economic, social and environmental scale.

I'm in favour of greater public representation as long as this is done through a democratic process which gives a vote to every citizen of voting age in this country. The Seanad is a complete affront to this and it's not going to change anytime soon.

The only option for me was a 'no' vote to preserve our democratic stance, or more appropriately, stagnate its deterioration.

Preserving our "democratic stance" by voting to perpetuate a completely undemocratic institution seems a bit odd to me.

I'm in favour of greater public representation as long as this is done through a democratic process which gives a vote to every citizen of voting age in this country. The Seanad is a complete affront to this and it's not going to change anytime soon.

Preserving our "democratic stance" by voting to perpetuate a completely undemocratic institution seems a bit odd to me.

So lets reform it. In any case a democracy which produces Mattie McGrath and Michael Healy Ray is hardly exemplary.

So lets reform it. In any case a democracy which produces Mattie McGrath and Michael Healy Ray is hardly exemplary.

I've just been listening to Enda Kenny. Plenty of waffle and not much indication that he's going to reform it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Enda doesn't care. He gets to still hand out very well paid Senate places to politicians who can't get elected, or to young FGers who want to make a name for themselves. The political "class" will be delighted tonight.

When I pick up my next payslip and see the tax I'm paying, I'll think of you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Reform of the Seanad doesn't need a Referendum. It can be reformed through legislation.

Advertisement