Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland u20 6 Nations & World Cup 2012

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

.ak wrote: »
    Agreed. Any idea if its going to be televised, or maybe streamed? Can't find anything on IRFU's website regarding coverage.
    web only here
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/sixnations/live.html

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Muchas gracias senor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Just looking and comparing the previous U20 squads with this seasons squad. Anybody know players who didn't make those squads but who are playing for their provinces nowadays?

2011-2012
    JORDAN COGHLAN
    SAM COGHLAN MURRAY
    JACK CONAN
    AARON CONNEELY
    BARRY DALY
    CHRIS FARRELL
    CONOR GILSENAN
    JJ HANRAHAN
    IAIN HENDERSON
    PADDY JACKSON
    SHANE LAYDEN
    KIERAN MARMION
    CATHAL MARSH
    KYLE MCCALL
    LUKE MCGRATH
    DANIEL QUALTER
    JAMES RAEL

2010-2011
    NIALL ANNETT
    FINLAY BEALHAM
    ANDREW BOYLE
    SHANE BUCKLEY
    CONOR CAREY
    SAM COGHLAN MURRAY
    AARON CONNEELY
    ANDREW CONWAY
    DAVID DOYLE
    PETER DU TOIT
    TADHG FURLONG
    DOMINIC GALLAGHER
    CRAIG GILROY
    JJ HANRAHAN
    DAVID HEFFERNAN
    IAIN HENDERSON
    PADDY JACKSON
    MICK KEARNEY
    ALEX KELLY
    BRENDAN MACKEN
    KIERAN MARMION
    CATHAL MARSH
    LUKE MARSHALL
    NAT MCDONALD
    BLANE MCILROY
    EOIN MCKEON
    JAMES MCKINNEY
    MARTIN MOORE
    JOHNNY MURPHY
    JORDI MURPHY
    TIERNAN O'HALLORAN
    DAVID O'MAHONY
    DANIEL QUALTER
    MICHAEL SHERLOCK
    JAMES TRACY

2009-2010
    NIALL ANNETT
    DENIS BUCKLEY
    PADDY BUTLER
    BRIAN CAGNEY
    ANDREW CONWAY
    JOHN COONEY
    DAVID DOYLE
    EOIN GRIFFIN
    BRIAN HAYES
    MICHAEL HEANEY
    DARREN HUDSON
    BRENDAN MACKEN
    STEWART MAGUIRE
    BEN MARSHALL
    JAMES MCKINNEY
    DAVID MCSHARRY
    JORDI MURPHY
    DAVE O'CALLAGHAN
    JACK O'CONNELL
    TIERNAN O'HALLORAN
    BRIAN O'HARA
    NOEL REID
    RHYS RUDDOCK
    DOMINIC RYAN
    NEVIN SPENCE
    SIMON ZEBO

2008 - 2009
    ANDREW BURKE
    MARK FLANAGAN
    GARY FOLEY
    SHANE GAHAN
    MATTHEW HEALY
    DAVE KEARNEY
    MICHAEL KEATING
    ADAM MACKLIN
    IAN MADIGAN
    PADDY MCALLISTER
    JACK MCGRATH
    DAVID MCGREGOR
    IAN MCKINLEY
    CONOR MURRAY
    MICHAEL NOONE
    DAVE O'CALLAGHAN
    JACK O'CONNELL
    BRIAN O'HARA
    PETER O'MAHONY
    RONAN O'MAHONY
    CIARAN RUDDOCK
    RHYS RUDDOCK
    DOMINIC RYAN
    TOM SEXTON
    EAMONN SHERIDAN
    NEVIN SPENCE

2007-2008
    PADDY BROPHY
    BRIAN CAWLEY
    CONOR CLEARY
    ADAM CRAIG
    SCOTT DEASY
    STEPHEN DOUGLAS
    KIERAN ESSEX
    DAVE FOLEY
    ALAN GAUGHAN
    KRIS GREENE
    JASON HARRIS-WRIGHT
    PAUL KARAYIANNIS
    MURRAY KINSELLA
    IAN LEONARD
    PATRICK MALLON
    HARRY MCALEESE
    PADDY MCCABE
    NIALL MORRIS
    IAN NAGLE
    MATTHEW NELSON
    EOIN O'MALLEY
    RAJAN REILLY
    PAUL RYAN
    TOMMY SEYMOUR
    MIKE SHERRY
    JAMIE SMITH

2006-2007
    TJ ANDERSON
    ANDREW BROWNE
    JAMIE HAGAN
    FELIX JONES
    IAN KEATLEY
    NEILUS KEOGH
    CONOR MCINERNEY
    DAVID MILLARD
    SHANE MONAHAN
    RUAIDHRI MURPHY
    SEAN O'BRIEN
    NIALL O'CONNOR
    TOMMY O'DONNELL
    PAUL O'DONOHOE
    KEVIN SHEAHAN
    GER SLATTERY
    RICHARD SWEENEY
    KYLE TONETTI
    AIDAN WYNNE

2005-2006
    ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Team to play Italy
    1. McCall
    2. Scannell
    3. Reilly
    4. Beirne
    5. Henderson
    6. Coghlan
    7. Gilsenan
    8. Conan
    9. Marmion
    10. Jackson
    11. Horan
    12. Hanrahan
    13. Farrell
    14. Finn
    15. Layden

16. Rael
    17. Merrey
    18. Cawley
    19. Qualter
    20. Conneely
    21. McGrath
    22. Marsh
    23. Olding

Strange having two 10's on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭boynesider

Yeah and two on the field.

Conneely, Qualter and McGrath either dropped or rotated depending on your point of view. I would say that Coghlan and Marmion will bring greater physicality which is maybe a response to the threat that the Italians will pose.

Lets hope JJ is kicking from the start. He is the better place kicker and Jackson might play better without having his confidence drained by missing kicks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Interesting changes. Thought they'd have gone for Coughlan at 8 and Conan at 6 if they were to accommodate them both in the side. Powerful back row all the same. Gilsenan can comfortably fill the role at openside. Ruddock possibly trying out a new combination against the Italians and using the game to get some game time for the younger members of the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭muscleshirt

slightly off topic,,,anyone know what happened to the colleges/universities international matches usually on around six nations??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Would've liked to have seen Marsh get a run out at 10, all Leinster backrow bodes well for the future, its an area Leinster will definately have a continuing surplus over the coming years, not many Ulster backrowers coming through but plenty of centers and halfbacks.

I think Olding being on the bench points to a lack of depth in the back 3 this year, particularly with Nelson, Sherlock and now Coughlan-Murray out injured.

Hopefully if Olding comes on it's at 10. He's probably the front-runner for the 10 spot next year, alongside Holland.

Interesting to see the confidence of Ruddock -"We achieved victory in our last two games because we have outworked the opposition and expect the same this week along with a quality display of skills."

That tells me that he's encouraged the guys to go out there and really throw the ball around. I'm looking forward to seeing Gilsenan at openside to see his breakdown skills as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

slightly off topic,,,anyone know what happened to the colleges/universities international matches usually on around six nations??
    dont know, best check the irish colleges website for updates
    http://www.studentrugby.com/main/index.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭muscleshirt

ormond lad wrote: »
    dont know, best check the irish colleges website for updates
    http://www.studentrugby.com/main/index.php[/QUOTE]
    site is not updated,cusai have taken over the running of colleges rugby

Are Gilsenan and Coughlan eligible for the u-20s next season? I assumed they were as I thought they were only out of school but looking at their profiles they were both born in 92, would this rule them out next season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭boynesider

Yes they would have to be born in 93. Gilsenan could be making an impression for Leinster by then anyway as a 7. Very light still but he has incredible potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Real FM

Slightly off topic. Always interested to see how many players in a under 20 squad follow through and maintain a playing level at a provincial/international standard. Not sure what's happened to a few lads the 2006. Can anyone help me out?

2006-2007
    NEILUS KEOGH
    DAVID MILLARD
    RICHARD SWEENEY

Cheers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Real FM wrote: »
    Slightly off topic. Always interested to see how many players in a under 20 squad follow through and maintain a playing level at a provincial/international standard. Not sure what's happened to a few lads the 2006. Can anyone help me out?

2006-2007
    NEILUS KEOGH
    DAVID MILLARD
    RICHARD SWEENEY

Cheers
    Keogh is non contracted Leinster player, possibly on a training contract of some sort but not part of the squad on leinsterrugby.ie. He has played for the province in the B&I cup four or five times this season.

Sweeney is playing for Marys at the moment in the AIL
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/smyth-praises-st-marys-pack-3003365.html

Millard is with Esher in the championship over in England

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

profitius wrote: »
    Just looking and comparing the previous U20 squads with this seasons squad. Anybody know players who didn't make those squads but who are playing for their provinces nowadays?

?

Collie O'Shea didnt make the U20 world cup squad last year and started for Leinster against Treviso this season.

Real FM wrote: »

2006-2007
    NEILUS KEOGH
    DAVID MILLARD
    RICHARD SWEENEY

Cheers

I know Keogh is playing with Landsdowne and has been getting regular game-time with Leinster A.

boynesider wrote: »
    Yes they would have to be born in 93. Gilsenan could be making an impression for Leinster by then anyway as a 7. Very light still but he has incredible potential.

He's over 15 stone and doesn't turn 20 until autumn. He's perfectly placed to develop physically I think. Another year or two will see another stone of muscle gradually put on him and that will be more than enough. He isn't found wanting at all physically already. If he bulked up much more at the moment, it would affect him negatively.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

GerM wrote: »
    boynesider wrote: »

He's over 15 stone and doesn't turn 20 until autumn. He's perfectly placed to develop physically I think. Another year or two will see another stone of muscle gradually put on him and that will be more than enough. He isn't found wanting at all physically already. If he bulked up much more at the moment, it would affect him negatively.
    Not if he did it right, look at Pocock

In fairness, Pocock doesn't fall into the category of a normal player; he's a complete anomaly. He was breaking the weightlifting records at the Force when he was 18 and would have been playing in their back row at 17 except for rules which prevented him from doing so. He was heavier than Gilsenan was when he was 18. All said and done, Pocock is still only about a stone heavier than he was when he first broke through.

• Advertisement

I remember a coach involved with the Australian u20 said that when he first encountered Pocock he was immediately struck by the sheer bulk of him. I think he's been a monster since before he went professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

GerM wrote: »

In fairness, Pocock doesn't fall into the category of a normal player; he's a complete anomaly. He was breaking the weightlifting records at the Force when he was 18 and would have been playing in their back row at 17 except for rules which prevented him from doing so. He was heavier than Gilsenan was when he was 18. All said and done, Pocock is still only about a stone heavier than he was when he first broke through.
    Ah yeah that's fair enough. I do think Gilsenan needs to hit the weights big time though. Im not saying its a weakness of his, rather something that he should be developing as a strength. It's the most important part of breakdown play as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Ah yeah that's fair enough. I do think Gilsenan needs to hit the weights big time though. Im not saying its a weakness of his, rather something that he should be developing as a strength. It's the most important part of breakdown play as well.

Not everyone can be a pair of walking biceps like Pocock and still be a fantastic rugby player. Gotta work with the physical attributes of each player not try to force each player into an already successful mould.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

all in good time, as Matt Williams recently put it 'too many players are built like tarzan but have jane's skillset'

Planning heading over to Athlone to the game tonight, anybody know what Dubarry Park is like for parking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

shuffol wrote: »
    Planning over to Athlone to the game tonight, anybody know what Dubarry Park is like for parking?

Good parking but you must get there in plenty of time. Don't leave it til late.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

what time is kick off for this match ? cause i need to go through the whole rigmarole of changing my IP Address to an irish one in order to watch it and wanna leave myself plenty of time

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

leonard7 wrote: »
    what time is kick off for this match ? cause i need to go through the whole rigmarole of changing my IP Address to an irish one in order to watch it and wanna leave myself plenty of time

Kick Off 7.05pm

leonard7 wrote: »

if you could tell me how you do that, I'd be very appreciative..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

i've done it before but ill have to get my flat mate to explain it again before i tell you just so i get it right...ill let you know when i do

Advertisement