Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland u20 6 Nations & World Cup 2012

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

McGrath MOTM

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Scots were no great shakes at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Is it just me or is the Scots passing really poor? It just seems really slow and laboured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Serious amount of arse licking towards the England u20s in this post match analysis of the Ireland/Scotland u20 game on RTE.

Apparently Ireland have very little chance next week despite winning four games from four and going into a grand slam decider.

aramush wrote: »
    Serious amount of arse licking towards the England u20s in this post match analysis of the Ireland/Scotland u20 game on RTE.

Apparently Ireland have very little chance next week despite winning four games from four and going into a grand slam decider.

Well, to be fair, England have absolutely destroyed everyone to date. Their results have been brilliant. Obviously we have a chance, I don't mind them being written off, I certainly won't expect too much and then I'll be pleasantly surprised when they win :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

boynesider wrote: »
    Jackson having his usual mare. I have nothing against the lad but he has been shocking for the u20's this year and I haven't a clue how he has so many senior appearances for Ulster. Especially considering that clearly superior players like Layden and Hanrahan haven't had a sniff of their provincial squads yet.

Cathal Marsh of Leinster and even young Stuart Olding of Ulster on the bench are fine outhalves and they would have to better than PJ has been so far.

Expecting much better in the 2nd half but we need to cut out the silly errors and start building a few phases.

Jacksons distribution is very good and he mixes his game well, excellent at putting probing kicks in behind the defense, has an eye for a gap as well but got very little front foot ball tonight.

As for his appearances for Ulster, its not like he's let them down when he's played.http://youtu.be/hggyb1kbCt4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Well, to be fair, England have absolutely destroyed everyone to date. Their results have been brilliant. Obviously we have a chance, I don't mind them being written off, I certainly won't expect too much and then I'll be pleasantly surprised when they win :cool:

We will see how good England are after tomorrow, their first real test, in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭boynesider

Wasn't a great performance, but I suppose the most important thing at this level is the individual prospects and I think there are a few potential internationals in the team. The players who stood out tonight have also been the ones standing out in the other 3 matches which is evidence of their quality.

The pick of the forwards are Henderson, Gilsenan and probably the little prop McCall, and I would expect the first two in particular to become outstanding players.

In the backs Layden, Hanrahan and McGrath look a cut above, and Jackson and Farrell have also shown their talents though not as consistently.

The rest of them look like very solid players and I'm sure a few will go on to be pros. Only one try conceded in 4 games is a testament to their hard work and courage so fair play to them.

It would be foolish to expect a win against England but who knows what could happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Is match on TV next week?

shuffol wrote: »
    Jacksons distribution is very good and he mixes his game well, excellent at putting probing kicks in behind the defense, has an eye for a gap as well but got very little front foot ball tonight.

As for his appearances for Ulster, its not like he's let them down when he's played.http://youtu.be/hggyb1kbCt4

I'll admit that he has impressed me for Ulster but this is what makes his consistently average/poor performances for the u20's all the more inexplicable to me. Maybe it's a higher standard of rugby than we would think?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Is match on TV next week?
    live on sky

ormond lad wrote: »
    live on sky

Sky Go it is so, on the road next week:D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

England vs Ireland for the U20s GS? Should be good to watch.

England vs Ireland for the U20s GS? Should be good to watch.

Has to be....can't wait....Ireland been given not much chance by most people, is England v France U20 on anywhere today? seen nothing of England U20 since last year where they killed Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭bilston

boynesider wrote: »
    I'll admit that he has impressed me for Ulster but this is what makes his consistently average/poor performances for the u20's all the more inexplicable to me. Maybe it's a higher standard of rugby than we would think?

I think you're confusing poor goal kicking with poor oveall out half play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Jackson cant be that poor a kicker though otherwise they'd have McGrath or Hanrahan kicking from the start, maybe its just the pressure of being captain thats affecting him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I really like the way Jackson varies his distribution, always looking for a short ball or an inside runner or whatever, you really need a 10 who can play that sort of game to keep defences on their toes. I'm sure his kicking will come good.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'm surprised at the criticism to be honest. Aside from his place kicking, and being out of position once or twice I'd give him an 8/10. His passing was sublime at times, and knew exactly when to make the switch out to the backs. Unfortunately the team often went too wide too early. The team probably averaged 7/10. They were decent but far from firing on all cylinders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Saw both U20 games last night and couldn't help but notice the difference in the venues. Dubarry Park pitch looked dreadful (albeit there was rain during the second half) while the pitch at Colwyn Bay for Wales vs Italy was in perfect condition. BTW the Wales game was a sell out at a superb venue. While Athlone is very central for U20 games is it the best avaliable venue I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭dougieruggie

Luke McGrath.

Best young scrum half in the country. (I include Murray in that)

The guy is going to be a Lions tourist one day if he keeps it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

6-3 to France at Half-time.

5mins left and France still have the lead.

EDIT: England try, they take the lead

France take the lead back. 9-8 to France with only a minute or so left.

EDIT: 12-8 to France, 1 minute to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Damnit... Gonna be a tense final game then. The U20s has been far more enjoyable than the seniors this year. More close games and drama!

Game Over. France win 12-8.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Luke McGrath.

Best young scrum half in the country. (I include Murray in that)

The guy is going to be a Lions tourist one day if he keeps it up.

McGrath is very good and I tend to agree that he could potentially be a Lion (long way to go though).

However I think his passing needs a bit of work. I read someone on another MB compare him to Paul Marshall and actually you know what I can see the comparison only that McGrath appears to have a bit more control for the level he plays at anyway. However he just needs to improve that pass a bit, if he does, and I'm sure he will when is becomes a full time pro, he'll be very good.

Hagz, did you watch the game? How good were England?

I really hope they do it. Their defence has been incredible to date, particularly against France, so if they can continue that, they must have a great chance.

From a provincial point-of-view, Munster don't have a lot of players on the team but luckily, they do have one of the best ones. Hanrahan, along with Layden, Henderson and Gilsenan, look like they could be top class players.

Henderson reminds me of POC tbh, loads of aggression and seems to get what he wants through sheer force of will.

bilston wrote: »
    I think you're confusing poor goal kicking with poor oveall out half play.

No I'm not actually. I mean in overall play, he is capable of so much more than what he has been producing. Loads of kicks straight into touch, poor restarts and some suicide passes to teammates. Last night wasn't too bad, but against France and Wales it was a serious issue. Plenty of flashes of brilliance at the same time however and I'm sure he'll be a full international. He's just not showing the control and leadership you would want from your captain and most experienced player. Cathal Marsh on the bench is a special talent with the ball in hand and I would love to see him get a start, but I think his kicking game is probably holding him back.

I don't understand why McGrath doesn't have the goal kicking duties anyway. Anyone who watched him play at u19 level will know that he's very capable off the tee. It might even take some pressure off Jackson. Or are we as a country just allergic to letting someone other than the 10 kick.

• Advertisement

Hagz wrote: »
    I don't understand why McGrath doesn't have the goal kicking duties anyway. Anyone who watched him play at u19 level will know that he's very capable off the tee. It might even take some pressure off Jackson. Or are we as a country just allergic to letting someone other than the 10 kick.

And so is Hanrahan, he kicks for UL Bohs.

It does seem a bit odd that they're sticking with Jackson but he obviously does have the ability to kick goals, just is a bit out-of-form.

Advertisement