Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland u20 6 Nations & World Cup 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Some result considering the hiding we got last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭boynesider

Fantastic. Not only winning in France, but with a yellow card, a malfunctioning goal-kicker, and a demolition job on the Irish scrum in the 2nd half.

Knew this was a quality group of players. Farrell made a mockery of the decision to not start him last week and showed his enormous potential to be a future star for Ireland. Henderson, Gilsenan, Conan, McCall, Hanrahan and McGrath also stood out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Fair play to them that was a great win with some great play in the backs and great all round defence. Only place they got a lesson was in the scrum but you got to hand it to them for that effort on the 5m line at the end to force the knock on,

Super win (hope the senior side were watching and taking notes and getting a lift)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭cityman 18

Well done Ireland, hung on well at the end. Looked like a try imo, but tmo couldn't see it i suppose. Cant give what you can't see. Set up for a St Patricks weekend decider against the English now.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Agh! Totally forgot what time the game was on at! :(

What was the score, and who scored?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭A-Train

Great win for the lads. Great result to get a win in France.

Ireland won 12-12.

Try by Foster Horan, Jackson scored a penalty and conversion, and JJ Hanrahan showed his mettle to kick the winning penalty from a difficult position.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

.ak wrote: »
    Agh! Totally forgot what time the game was on at! :(

What was the score, and who scored?

13-12

Jackson got 2 penalties and a conversion but missed a good few aswell.

Foster Horan scored the try, he walked through about 3 tackles. It was a good run but poor defence.

And JJ Hanrahan scored the winning penalty with a few minutes left after Marsh came on for Jackson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Balls, cant believe I missed it, have Ireland won in France before at this level?

Wonder has that side got another 80 mins left in them, if so send them to Paris, or just send Ruddock instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Wow, great result for the U20s!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 easyeas

MungBean wrote: »
    How come the under 20's wear last seasons jersey ?

Heard the other day from a parent who's son is on the team that's it's something to do with the Irfu or puma cutbacks. It's either wear last seasons jersey or wear jerseys that are like 1970 jerseys. Poor on behalf of puma and Irfu IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 23,744 ✭✭✭✭phog

Is there any highlights from the game available?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

phog wrote: »
    Is there any highlights from the game available?

Not sure about highlights but the full game is on rte player

Does anyone know what the story is with Jack Carty and Tadgh Leader? Injured or are they just not featuring in Ruddocks plans?

That 10 shirt should be up for grabs in my opinion and I would love to see JJ given a chance in it. The more ball he gets the better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

boynesider wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the story is with Jack Carty and Tadgh Leader? Injured or are they just not featuring in Ruddocks plans?

That 10 shirt should be up for grabs in my opinion and I would love to see JJ given a chance in it. The more ball he gets the better

Not in Ruddock's plans.

I wouldn't want Hanrahan moved. He's playing well at 12 and it's a position where Munster could do with some talent. Added to that, I doubt Ruddock will drop his captain from the team, even though I think Jackson has been disappointing.

Overall I don't see the need for much change. They've got Italy and Scotland at home which I see them winning and then they're on for the Slam. No point changing things dramatically. Keep them tight. Farrell has definitely cemented his place though, he's one for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rugby7

Farrel anf JJ have alot to learn. they are afraid to pass it to Horan in case he shows them how to score. the only time Horan was given the ball cleanly in two games in space was from a french boot from which he scored running through half the french team. In the welsh match jj skipped horan at 2nd centre 6 times, took 4 crash balls himself. any body with a rugby brain would know that if a 1st centre skips repeatedly to full back the defence will drift every time and put laden into to touch as they did everytime in the whales game, farrel made a break or two but every other time he drifted out on to horan instead of drawing his man and putting the winger in space, both players have a lot to learn before they make anywhere near international standard.

rugby7 wrote: »
    Farrel anf JJ have alot to learn. they are afraid to pass it to Horan in case he shows them how to score. the only time Horan was given the ball cleanly in two games in space was from a french boot from which he scored running through half the french team. In the welsh match jj skipped horan at 2nd centre 6 times, took 4 crash balls himself. any body with a rugby brain would know that if a 1st centre skips repeatedly to full back the defence will drift every time and put laden into to touch as they did everytime in the whales game, farrel made a break or two but every other time he drifted out on to horan instead of drawing his man and putting the winger in space, both players have a lot to learn before they make anywhere near international standard.

Say hi to Foster for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

In fairness if there was someone in my team whose first name was Foster I probably wouldn't pass to him either:)

Hagz wrote: »
    Say hi to Foster for me.

Hagz Say hi to JJ for me , dont get me wrong JJ is a good player, just a few things he could brush up on if you understood technical back play you would understand my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Hagz Say hi to JJ for me , dont get me wrong JJ is a good player, just a few things he could brush up on if you understood technical back play you would understand my point.

Tbf, I thought it was an interesting point, cheers for posting it. I think JJ has a long way to go yet tbh. it might just be that he has played more with Layden and trusts him more, or Ruddock might be giving instructions etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Hanrahan needs to brush up on his defending but I don't see too many problems with his passing. Against Wales, Foster Horan dropped one pass from Hanrahan by taking his eye off the ball. Hanrahan found Layden 2 or 3 times and put him through for line breaks or try. He has a long, fast pass and is able to bypass players which is something great to see in Irish rugby. Madigan is similarly causing havoc with his passing for Leinster. It gives teams an attacking boost.

Watching the match at the weekend I could see the wingers hardly touched the ball but every time it went wide they were heavily marked. Even Layden didn't get much ball. The French pack were bigger and the team spread out across the pitch.

they are afraid to pass it to Horan in case he shows them how to score. the only time Horan was given the ball cleanly in two games in space was from a french boot from which he scored running through half the french team. In the welsh match jj skipped horan at 2nd centre 6 times, took 4 crash balls himself. farrel made a break or two but every other time he drifted out on to horan instead of drawing his man and putting the winger in space,

Oh I think I understand your point. It was less about JJ and more about Horan showing them how to score.;) The guy did score a nice try though in fairness to him.

Ha ha yeah maybe a little bit of hyperbole there on my behalf laden nd jj are quality match winning players,
    The skip passe is great when it pulls off but it is easy to defend and intercept, maybe 1 or 2 a game to keep defences guessing but 6 had me wondering, here s looking forward to Italy and Scotland and seein the boys in action again

• Registered Users Posts: 37 easyeas

Is it true the game against Italy won't be shown live on tv???

easyeas wrote: »
    Is it true the game against Italy won't be shown live on tv???

Hmm not sure. The French game wasn't on TV either, you had to go onto RTE.ie's player to get it.

Any idea of how strong the Italians will be?

boynesider wrote: »
    Any idea of how strong the Italians will be?

It'll be the usual Italians I'd say. Physically they might be a little ahead of the Irish team but technically the Irish will be better.

At this rate I'm far more interested in how the U20s are doing. Good oppertunity to clean house this year with Wales and France down, they're in a great position.

.ak wrote: »
    At this rate I'm far more interested in how the U20s are doing. Good oppertunity to clean house this year with Wales and France down, they're in a great position.

For me its possibly more interesting than the senior match this weekend.

• Advertisement

profitius wrote: »
    For me its possibly more interesting than the senior match this weekend.

Agreed. Any idea if its going to be televised, or maybe streamed? Can't find anything on IRFU's website regarding coverage.

Advertisement