Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Generally not advisable to use car pumps on bikes. Not as accurate as you thought I suppose!

Just checked the other tyre (same pressure) with another gauge and it's at the correct pressure. The tyre wasn't pierced by glass or anything and the rim doesn't have any sharp edges. Points to tube failure really. Pity it took the tyre with it.

Hmm, just a thought - the bike was cycled to me about 4 bumpy miles on fairly underinflated tyres. Possibly a pinch-flat?

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Can someone explain this A1 A2 A3 etc stuff I keep reading about in other threads? :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

awec wrote: »
    Can someone explain this A1 A2 A3 etc stuff I keep reading about in other threads? :o

It's the category of rider or divisions, so A1 would be the best and work your way down to A4.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Scuba_Scoper

It's the category of rider or divisions, so A1 would be the best and work your way down to A4.

...but A4's are still pretty awesome ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Confab wrote: »
    Just checked the other tyre (same pressure) with another gauge and it's at the correct pressure. The tyre wasn't pierced by glass or anything and the rim doesn't have any sharp edges. Points to tube failure really. Pity it took the tyre with it.

I would have said it was a bad tyre blowing under the pressure. A tube won't take out a good tyre if it bursts. Lucky for you it was in the car park rather than at speed on the road...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Just one minor clipping incident - but I don't mind missing a clip in or 2 as at least I won't fall off. Will get better at it I'm sure! :D

I still miss a clip in or 10 even after all this time. I'm a total clutz.

I dislike red.

I still miss a clip in or 10 even after all this time. I'm a total clutz.

I dislike red.
    Ya, I missed the clip in and my foot slipped clean off the pedal. Worst of all it was when I was at the front of traffic at a busy junction.

Sorta just cycled with one foot so I could get out of the way again! :D

And thanks! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I would have said it was a bad tyre blowing under the pressure. A tube won't take out a good tyre if it bursts. Lucky for you it was in the car park rather than at speed on the road...

I'm going to replace both tyres with Continentals just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Curse the crap euro. Everything is more expensive to buy now. Bah

BX 19 wrote: »
    Curse the crap euro. Everything is more expensive to buy now. Bah
    Every time I go back up home (the north) I weep a little when I have to spend money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I've practiced a bit standing against the wall and it seems simple enough. Just twist my foot and they pop right out.
    Don't do what I did when practicing against a wall and leave your cranks vertical at 6 and 12... *clip unclip clip unclip clip* "OK got it..." *push away* Timberrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I have just broke my ****e laughing. :D:D:D

5:10minutes for cycling related laughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Do people not generally work their way up? :D

Also, got my A3 upgrade, officially confirmed this time! \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

summers over ! rain jacket came out for the first time in weeks, ras dun na ngall starts tomorrow :mad:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Just saw the aftermath of what looked like a farily bad accident on Upper Mercer street, cyclist hit by a car. Hope he's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Spotted in the IMMA:

207027.jpg

In fairness, hazzard lights are generallee a good idea.

(And congrats on the new arrival. I await your transport solutions with bated breath- how can you not get a cargo bike now? ;))

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Tried my new commute for the first time today, its good! Speeds of around 45kmh for basically the whole first half. Pity about having to navigate 5 roundabouts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

daily_picdump_972_640_high_37.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Prunella vulgaris, known as common selfheal, heal-all, heart-of-the-earth, is a medicinal plant in the genus Prunella
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8a/Self-heal-Lachlan-Cranswick.jpg

Other names

In Germany it is known as Kleine Braunelle; in the United States, as Lance Selfheal,

wtf :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    (And congrats on the new arrival. I await your transport solutions with bated breath- how can you not get a cargo bike now? ;))
    As if in a movie, we passed a man on the SCR with one of these and a child in the cargo area while we were on the way to Holles Street in the taxi:

delivery-bike.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

As if in a movie, we passed a man on the SCR with one of these and a child in the cargo area while we were on the way to Holles Street in the taxi:

delivery-bike.jpg

That would be Dual front discs on his new Bear bike I would think. Edit: congrats BTW :)

He traded in the Christiania? Or is he building up a Jerry Seinfeld-style stable of cargo bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

He traded in the Christiania? Or is he building up a Jerry Seinfeld-style stable of cargo bikes?

Nope, he still has that too, I just converted it from Shimano nexus 7 to Sturmey Archer 5 speed, much better, so when are you getting a cargo bike/child carrier then??

I was thinking of a Bakfiets, like DFD's new one. However, I have to allocate funds, and, more difficult, convince my wife that, to an extremely high degree of probability, I'm not going get our children killed. Neither side of the family knows anything about cycling -- I'm somewhat of an outlier -- and they regard it as something akin to base-jumping, even off-peak and on suburban roads.

I remember DFD mentioning here that his hub gear had gone on the Christiania, and he was cycling it as a single speed. Nice work swapping it out for something a little more reliable!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Anyone here ever hitch a ride accross the water on a lorry down at the port?

Need to get over with my bike and the ferry I want to get won't take foot passengers or bike passengers, if I turned up at the port, is there any chance of blagging a lift from a trucker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

207116.bmp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

CramCycle wrote: »
    the ferry I want to get won't take foot passengers or bike passengers
    Curious as to what is special about your boat of choice. There are generally plenty of ferries afair, and foot passengers are pretty cheap.
    I'm fairly sure that vehicles have to have tickets identifying passengers, when I booked it was car +driver, and 1 passenger. I. E. The trucker would have to amend their booking. Probably something to do with the unwanted stowaways sometimes found in their cargo.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Anyone here ever hitch a ride accross the water on a lorry down at the port?

Need to get over with my bike and the ferry I want to get won't take foot passengers or bike passengers, if I turned up at the port, is there any chance of blagging a lift from a trucker?

Ferry I got from Dublin to Isle of Man before there was no issue with bringing bikes on myself. Same with Rosslare to Fishguard & Holyhead to Dublin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Idleater wrote: »
    Curious as to what is special about your boat of choice. There are generally plenty of ferries afair, and foot passengers are pretty cheap.

I can't get out of work for the 14:30 sailing, and the 20:55 sailing will leave me unable to get to where I want to go i.e. I will be stuck in Holyhead until 4 in the morning. Could risk my arm and see could i organise a lift while on board but its risky.
    Dónal wrote: »
    Ferry I got from Dublin to Isle of Man before there was no issue with bringing bikes on myself. Same with Rosslare to Fishguard & Holyhead to Dublin.

The 4 o'clock sailing does not take foot passengers or bicycles (stena and Irish ferries don't let bikes ride up onto them anymore, have to be put into a luggage lorry) for some reason, was thinking of booking a motorbike ticket and just say I made a mistake and hope they let me on but it is also a big risk.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement