Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

seamus wrote: »
    Only if your brakes fail :)
    But once it has stopped you, you have the option of releasing the brake (as you would do to release the wheel) and relying on the other one to take you home. I would rather that the bike automatically applied the brakes no matter where I was rather than finding out approaching the next bend @ 60km/h that I've got no front brake :)

Surely an error light & a beep on the hoods would suffice? Applying the brakes even 50% when the rider isn't expecting it could be dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

awec wrote: »
    Does anyone else here have a windows phone and use mapmyride?

Why does it suck so much compared to the iphone version? :(

:-P
    I used the strava android application recently and even in the 2 hours it wore down the battery 25% with the screen off, in my pocket.

My suggestion is to get a garmin for route tracking. I'd much prefer to be able to ring than know exactly where I was when the battery ran out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

seamus wrote: »
    How would you change gear on/after a long descent? ;)

You shouldn't stop pedaling when you're going down hill ;)

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

You shouldn't stop pedaling when you're going down hill ;)
    You shouldnt be braking when going downhill ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

bcmf wrote: »
    You shouldnt be braking when going downhill ;)

Touché

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭honkjelly

I only went up the road to the right of the church in Howth for the first time tonight.

I can't believe I've missed this one for the past five years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I have known about it for decades and delibaretly miss as often as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

honkjelly wrote: »
    I only went up the road to the right of the church in Howth for the first time tonight.

I can't believe I've missed this one for the past five years!

I can't believe it either. Your club practically owns the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

206946.jpg

Absolutely HUGE!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

It's there a few times during the summer from here on I think. I spotted it a few years ago in Oslo. We were able to watch the huge tv screen on the top deck from the restaraunt we were in. I took photos but can't find them now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

All them bikes and equipment. Surely they wouldn't mind if I took one...

Inside Team Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Ordered a new BB. Hopefully CRC have it to me before the weekend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i notice in one of the p ictures from team sky, its says "We will follow the RULES"
    Even the pros respect the RULES. :)
    (not posting the pic here cos its big)

http://cyclingtipscontent.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/cav-wigginsBikes.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

lennymc wrote: »
    i notice in one of the p ictures from team sky, its says "We will follow the RULES"
    Even the pros respect the RULES. :)
    (not posting the pic here cos its big)

http://cyclingtipscontent.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/cav-wigginsBikes.jpg

Isn't there a rule about wearing aerodynamic shower caps over helmet vents?

And lets not get started on the black sock thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

206979.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I ate in Crackbird today for lunch. Had not been previously. It gets a lot of coverage and PR from foodies.

Very hip and trendy (trying too hard tbh).

Menu was an unscale version of kfc. However it was pretty average and tasteless. I had some soy garlic chicken. If this was marinated in soy and garlic then it would be news to me.
    Very disappointed.

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Bought my first pair of SPD-SL pedals today. Interesting few days ahead! Here's hoping for no unclipping related incidents! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Bought my first pair of SPD-SL pedals today. Interesting few days ahead! Here's hoping for no unclipping related incidents! :D

Lolz I'm so going out with a camera to find you and film you. You have to fall off it's part of the initiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭buffalo

Practice for a few minutes before each ride while holding on to a wall, it helps. But you will still fall eventually. :p Thankfully mine was in the parents' driveway, and I landed on grass with nobody around to see. I'll take that secret to the grave!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Sure I fell off with the toe clips back in the day. Sloooooowly. :D

I mastered unclipping on the turbo.

• Advertisement

Lolz I'm so going out with a camera to find you and film you. You have to fall off it's part of the initiation.

I'll keep my eye out for the stalking girl! :P

I've practiced a bit standing against the wall and it seems simple enough. Just twist my foot and they pop right out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

4292_74de.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

ROK ON wrote: »
    I ate in Crackbird today for lunch. Had not been previously. It gets a lot of coverage and PR from foodies.

Very hip and trendy (trying too hard tbh).

Menu was an unscale version of kfc. However it was pretty average and tasteless. I had some soy garlic chicken. If this was marinated in soy and garlic then it would be news to me.
    Very disappointed.

totally agree with you on this all hype, for chickhen you cant beat the greasey well seasoned goujons at solas, but i recommend you head up to green 19 and try the organic burger and home made fries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Spotted in the IMMA:

207027.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Also: child (and daughter) number two was born this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

tomasrojo wrote: »

May I be the first boardsie to offer my congratulations!

congrats!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

tomasrojo wrote: »

Say goodbye to what remains of your life.

So there were no unclipping incidents on the first run in them!

Just one minor clipping incident - but I don't mind missing a clip in or 2 as at least I won't fall off. Will get better at it I'm sure! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Quick question - just got a secondhand Carrera Crossfire and went to inflate the tyres for the first time cause they were soft after lack of use. Was using a car tyre pump to 70psi (tyres say 50-75psi). I cycled around the car park for a few minutes and suddenly the front tyre blew (literally went BANG), destroying the inner tube and tearing a hole in the tyre.

The gauge on the pump is pretty accurate as I use it for the car, so I'm wondering what I did wrong? I'm 87kg, would that make a difference?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Generally not advisable to use car pumps on bikes. Not as accurate as you thought I suppose!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement