Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

AstraMonti wrote: »

It was only down to laziness that I never went down the implant road, thank the good lord for making me lazy! Now if I could just get rid of all the pesky tattooes and stupid hoopy ears I would be one happy camper!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭furiousox

Nice of the Man Utd squad to stop by the hospital and visit the supporter who told Fergie about Aguero's goal.

CPL 593H

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Holyboy wrote: »
    It was only down to laziness that I never went down the implant road, thank the good lord for making me lazy! Now if I could just get rid of all the pesky tattooes and stupid hoopy ears I would be one happy camper!

Me ears are in a hoop!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭Junior

Saw a driving instructors car yesterday with a little dungarvan cc jersey hanging in the back window. Does this mean that the next generation of south east drivers will actually know what a cyclist is:pac:

I'm going to take a stab at who that driving instructor is, the brother of a former professional and a committee member of Dungarvan CC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Passed my viva yesterday! Woohoo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

CheGuedara wrote: »

Dr CheGuedara has a better ring to it - well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Chapeau. Well done Doc.
    Welcome to the real world now boy :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

demotivators_picdump_196_640_03.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

^^ LA would disagree ;).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Can I ask the title or the discipline if you don't want to be too revealing?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

CramCycle wrote: »
    Can I ask the title or the discipline if you don't want to be too revealing?

Forgive my ignorance but what is viva thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

BX 19 wrote: »

Short for viva voce.

An oral defence of ones thesis.

It is a defence of your research in front of your peers.

Usually talked about in terms of PhDs where by you would give a presentation and then defend your thesis from an expert in the area. They will stand you up and ask why you done certain experiments, timecourses, question your rationale, your conclusions, ask you why you did not think something else, why you thought what you did, ask you why you did not do other related experiments, basically bust your balls.

Afterwards your thesis can be refused with no comeback (ie its judged that the idea is not novel enough and never will be enough to be awarded a doctorate), accepted with major corrections (ie back to the lab to answer or clarify any points), accepted with minor corrections (can be as little as phrasing in a paragraph, or interpretation of certain datasets), accepted with no corrections (rare but pretty much means you can fork it over straight away).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,326 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Congrats Dr. CheGuedara!
    I hope to get to that stage myself before the end of the year.

CramCycle wrote: »
    It is a defence of your research in front of your peers.

Usually talked about in terms of PhDs where by you would give a presentation and then defend your thesis from an expert in the area. They will stand you up and ask why you done certain experiments, timecourses, question your rationale, your conclusions, ask you why you did not think something else, why you thought what you did, ask you why you did not do other related experiments, basically bust your balls.

Afterwards your thesis can be refused with no comeback (ie its judged that the idea is not novel enough and never will be enough to be awarded a doctorate), accepted with major corrections (ie back to the lab to answer or clarify any points), accepted with minor corrections (can be as little as phrasing in a paragraph, or interpretation of certain datasets), accepted with no corrections (rare but pretty much means you can fork it over straight away).

Ahh I get it.

Thankfully, I did not require a dissertation/thesis for my Bsc, though I did have to give several grilling presentations. All I'm waiting is for some results and the piece of paper at this stage.

Many thanks guys - stoked to have it finished and looking forward to getting on with the real world and some work!

@ Cram - no problem asking at all (it'll be easily found in the TCD library soon enough once I've my thankfully minor corrections made). It was a molecular oncology thesis looking at an interaction between ovarian cancer and blood platelets during metastasis

@dastardly - best of luck man, it can be a bit of a flog to get there but it's a great feeling when you do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Ahh I get it.

Thankfully, I did not require a dissertation/thesis for my Bsc, though I did have to give several grilling presentations. All I'm waiting is for some results and the piece of paper at this stage.

No dissertation???? That's not a BSc, that's a diploma:D:D:D

Sincere best of luck with the results.

Jawgap wrote: »
    No dissertation???? That's not a BSc, that's a diploma:D:D:D

Sincere best of luck with the results.

Meh there was a 8 week project last summer :D

I think that counts :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

How does someone who uses this word to describe something...
    Many thanks guys - stoked to have it finished and looking forward to getting on with the real world and some work!

Go on to produce something like this?!?!

@ Cram - no problem asking at all (it'll be easily found in the TCD library soon enough once I've my thankfully minor corrections made). It was a molecular oncology thesis looking at an interaction between ovarian cancer and blood platelets during metastasis

• Advertisement

Congrats Dr. CheGuedara!
    I hope to get to that stage myself before the end of the year.

Aiming to be out of the lab myself by August all going to plan and written up and submitted shortly after, its a horrible process.

Congrats again CheGuedera, hope it was worth it, I am at the point where every day feels like a waste of my life, research is a joyous thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Intensive Five-Year Study Finds Five Years A Long-Ass Time

http://www.theonion.com/articles/intensive-fiveyear-study-finds-five-years-a-longas,1548/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Demetri Martin: I wonder what the most intelligent thing ever said was that started with the word 'dude.' 'Dude, these are isotopes.' 'Dude, we removed your kidney. You're gonna be fine.' 'Dude, I am so stoked to win this Nobel Prize. I just wanna thank Kevin, and Turtle, and all my homies.'

Hmmm, might just add the word 'stoked' from that post to the minor corrections list... :) But yes I'm *really* happy to have gotten to the end of it, it's a long road up a big mountain to get to the end of.

@cramcycle - know where you're coming from but keep at it, you will get there and it will be worth the effort

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Congrats, does this mean I can start doing Che-memes again? :D

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Congrats, does this mean I can start doing Che-memes again? :D

Cheers Captain! God I'd forgotten about those - just searched and found them again. Still funny, got a good chuckle out of em!

Back to a properly OT post - just came across this onboard DH run at what looks like a Red Bull Tour du Many Many Steps in Monserrat.

Definitely one for those of the MTB inclination feeling left out in the chatter about the classics and grand tours.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Back to a properly OT post - just came across this onboard DH run at what looks like a Red Bull Tour du Many Many Steps in Monserrat.

Definitely one for those of the MTB inclination feeling left out in the chatter about the classics and grand tours.

Do you have to replace the entire bike after one go of that?

oflahero wrote: »
    Do you have to replace the entire bike after one go of that?

Probably! Along with both wrists and ankles and several vertebrae...

Can't imagine anything but the toughest rims, hubs and suspension system would be particularly happy after a day out like that though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

congrats, my other half finished a month ago just got her corrected hard bound thesis in last mon (3 years and working at the same time havent seen much of her)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement