Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I suppose you can't really complain if a hearse (with a horizontal passenger) pulls out in front of you, can you? I was going fast enough, I could have undertaken (:pac:) in the cycle track, but I held back for some reason.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

You can. RotR apply to them just the same.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Squiffy, aiming for three sheets. That is all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I've decided I quite like Halfords for bike accessories. Its not great quality, but you do have tonnes of choice at a good price. And you can paw the stuff as much as you want. Good enough for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Junior wrote: »
    Waterford - Tramore - Bunmahon - Kill - Kilmeaden - Waterford. Job done.

A few hours too late but thanks all the same, I went internet cold turkey from Thursday until now. I ended up doing a tour of Waterford as I couldn't find the Tramore Road and when I eventually found it I just went out and back on top of my detour, about 40-45k and a nice run around the grounds of Waterford Castle afterwards. Was a busy morning on that road, lots of runners and cyclists with only one soul not giving a hello or salute, even popped back to the farm guy in his van just after the water wheel later for fruit. That ring road heading towards the hospital is not a nice place with a head wind, even if it was only slight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I've decided I quite like Halfords for bike accessories. Its not great quality, but you do have tonnes of choice at a good price. And you can paw the stuff as much as you want. Good enough for me!

Tescos (in some of the bigger stores) are not half bad for certain little things.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

BX 19 wrote: »
    Tescos (in some of the bigger stores) are not half bad for certain little things.

Yeah it is ok, I've bought a few bits from the Wexford Tesco monstrosity. The 20 function cycle computer worked pretty good, i'd use it more only I find them so distracting. And I couldn't work out how to turn it off, it picked up the speeds of the cars outside my house when it was sitting on my bike in the hall...

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Anyone else feeling too lazy to do anything today?

I'm using the weather forecast to justify not being arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Yep. I just ate 400g of Liquorice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

2 easter eggs and watching films in bed until now... nice and lazy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I'm in a shepards pie coma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Am in Edinburgh.
    Was sent out to get Lasagne sheets.
    Came back with lasagne sheets and 2 bottles of 750ml Leffe. Belgiums finest. All for under £6 :D
    My sis in law then produces a traditional beer drinking mug from the Paulaner Brewery in Munich to drink it out of.
    Happy Days indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Seeing as you're in the neighbourhood, you should try some of this. :)
    Good stuff, lovely flavour and 6.6% to boot!

img_2267.jpg

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

spent most of the day doing broomwagon for the knockalla tour (mind i think i would rather be n a car today although it was heavy showers up here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

furiousox wrote: »
    Seeing as you're in the neighbourhood, you should try some of this. :)
    Good stuff, lovely flavour and 6.6% to boot!

img_2267.jpg
    will have a search for it. Serious amount of quality beer's to be tried out!
    Will have to try a new-ish pub called 'The Cloisters` which is part of an old church!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Set out yesterday for a spin and about 14km from home the chain snaps......

Set out this afternoon for a spin on a different bike and about 14km from home the rear brake cable snaps......

The moral of the story is you can never have enough bikes:D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Jawgap wrote: »

The moral of the story is you can never have enough bikes:D
    ... or you need to look after the ones you do have a bit better ...;)

Beasty wrote: »
    ... or you need to look after the ones you do have a bit better ...;)

From 'How To Be A Better Poster'........

"Comment on the post not the poster" :D:D

Forgot to also mention the two wheels that needed truing last week too:mad:

If these things go in threes, I've had mine

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭flying11

i just finished cleaning the road bike (i never realised the chain and cassette were so difficult to clean!) and it got me thinking would people be interested in paying someone to clean their bike? from my experience it would take about 2-3 hours to fully clean everything. im half thinking of setting up a bit of an evening/weekend job for myself doing this for people.

do ye think their would be enough interest for this it to be viable? would you pay for your bike to be cleaned? :confused:

if a few of ye could let me know what ye think i would appreciate it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

flying11 wrote: »
    from my experience it would take about 2-3 hours to fully clean everything

You're doing it wrong! Pro mechanics can clean a bike in 5-10 minutes.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    really? thats incredible.
    i must be doing something wrong so! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I rode the last stage of the Gorey yesterday in lashing rain. I had the bike washed and chain relubed in about 10 minutes on getting home. I'm not usually that quick but the sooner I got it done the sooner I could lie down on the couch.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Lumen wrote: »
    They also have the benefit of being able to make a complete mess of themselves and the surrounding area without a landlord/wife going mental :D

It's worth saying though that the more often you clean the bike, the less time it takes. Particularly if you've been out on a wet and dirty spin, if you take a hose to the bike first thing when you arrive back, you can just let it drip dry and then go out and wipe it down and lube it up later on in the day.

For people like me with no access to a hose, I use brushes to remove heavy dirt and loosen up grease, then take a series of baby wipes and big cheap paper towels (like you see in a garage forecourt) to the bike, it comes up nice and clean in about 45 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

bcmf wrote: »
    will have a search for it. Serious amount of quality beer's to be tried out!
    Will have to try a new-ish pub called 'The Cloisters` which is part of an old church!

http://www.lmulligangrocer.com/ in Stoneybatter, Dublin serve Innis & Gunn plus a host of of delectable beers. They do some great grub also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I can't remember the last time I went near my bike with a hose or water to clean it. I tend to spray it with a can of Putoline wax polish and clean it down with a dry (clean) rag. I clean the drivechain with WD40 and rub with lots of kitchen towels and finish it off with another clean dry rag. I lube it with purple extreme. I keep on top of it so it's never a really big job unlike my previous commuter bike that I neglected a lot and only fixed when something went wrong! Still never went hear it with a hose or even a damp rag!

The pro mechanics have the advantage of being able to replace a lot of components frequently and at no cost so a few hose downs wont do much harm but over time it'll kill hubs, chaisn, cables and BB's, IMO.

cheers for the feedback lads :)

out of interest, would you be willing to pay for someone to wash your bike or is it something you would prefer to do on your own?

out of interest, would you be willing to pay for someone to wash your bike or is it something you would prefer to do on your own?

Personally, definitely wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Personally, definitely wouldn't.

No way. It's a labour of love and very satisfying once done and she sparkles!

• Advertisement

"Prosecutors in San Francisco claim a man who allegedly plowed into pedestrians -- after which one died -- later made an online post in which he told his version of events and lamented the death of his helmet."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57410793-71/cyclist-hits-pedestrian-posts-eulogy-for-helmet-say-officials/?tag=mncol;1n

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement