Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

CramCycle wrote: »
    Dubba wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend an insurance company that take bikes in their T&C?
    Didn't find one myself over the past few years but was mainly focusing on cost at the time. I'd appreciate any tips, thanks.

If you are renting Ulster Bank contents insurance covers bikes on and off the property from theft. Don't think it covers accidental damage though.

Thanks Cram but I'm an ownener occupier since '04 and not with UB .
    Reason I bring it up is my insurance renewal is up and when I've previously told my broker that my sporting goods was a 1k bike, I was told they weren't covered. I've seen post here of people with bikes on Home ins , so thought id ask..
    p.s. only looking for regular fire & theft coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Dubba wrote: »
    Thanks Cram but I'm an ownener occupier since '04 and not with UB .
    Reason I bring it up is my insurance renewal is up and when I've previously told my broker that my sporting goods was a 1k bike, I was told they weren't covered. I've seen post here of people with bikes on Home ins , so thought id ask..
    p.s. only looking for regular fire & theft coverage.
    I added mine (as well as my hifi) as specified items. Racing or damage caused by racing is not covered.
    Just phone them up and ask for a quote for a specified item.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

F1A01931-5D65-409B-A878-05B55FB1C9D2.jpg

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Had my first commute into Dublin City centre in probably 10 years today.
    Left in plenty of time in (very) slight drizzle, got a welcome to the chapelizod bypass puncture, was asked if I was okay by 2 passing cyclists, experienced the red light shoaling often mentioned, and got to my desk at the same time as if I had gotten the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Shipping method is 24hr parcel force - have the shipping reference number but when i stick it into the tracker its not coming up. Does this mean its not collected yet?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Shipping method is 24hr parcel force - have the shipping reference number but when i stick it into the tracker its not coming up. Does this mean its not collected yet?

It can take a while before it comes up, usually a few hours after its picked up. When should it have shipped?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

It can take a while before it comes up, usually a few hours after its picked up. When should it have shipped?
    Today. I'm obviously just being an impatient git!(just worried about getting it before the weekend really) Cheers though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Idleater wrote: »
    Had my first commute into Dublin City centre in probably 10 years today.
    Left in plenty of time in (very) slight drizzle, got a welcome to the chapelizod bypass puncture, was asked if I was okay by 2 passing cyclists, experienced the red light shoaling often mentioned, and got to my desk at the same time as if I had gotten the bus.

Did you enjoy the adventure?

Did you enjoy the adventure?
    Yeah, the cycle home was great with wind, rain, hail, "snow ", the grit lorry and sunshine.
    Basically I apologise for the poor weather, I could make it worse by getting my hair cut (which normally proceeds unusually cold weather) but I might do the Gorey racers a favour.
    Anyway, 14km instead of the 25 I had on my old commute in 40 minutes of which 5 was stopped at lights. I had the old commute down to 55 minutes - no lights on the back roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Can't say I enjoyed the commute home yesterday. Didn't mind the hailstones or cold but the cross winds were a pig. OK in Dublin but when I got to the coast at Portmarnock, I was blown over twice against a fence which ran alongside an off-road cycle path/track/thingy. Decided it was safer to fall over onto a grassy bank further along the road and get off and walk for a bit. At certain points the front wheel was twisting in my hands rather than the whole bike moving left or right - never seen that before. The cycle track along Clontarf was also a lot mroe interesting than usual but at least there was plenty of room and no cars/buses.

67mins for what is normally 45-50mins commute. Wussed out and got the train today - first time not cycling to work in five months.

Hate the train. Back to the bike tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

goot snowed on on the way home last night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I went the same way yesterday. That wind was something else out around Portmarnock alright! I had originally intended to go around the coast to Malahide, but went over Carrick Hill instead as there was a little bit more shelter and less traffic.
    I also took the public transport option as well this morning. :o
    Can't say I enjoyed the commute home yesterday. Didn't mind the hailstones or cold but the cross winds were a pig. OK in Dublin but when I got to the coast at Portmarnock, I was blown over twice against a fence which ran alongside an off-road cycle path/track/thingy. Decided it was safer to fall over onto a grassy bank further along the road and get off and walk for a bit. At certain points the front wheel was twisting in my hands rather than the whole bike moving left or right - never seen that before. The cycle track along Clontarf was also a lot mroe interesting than usual but at least there was plenty of room and no cars/buses.

67mins for what is normally 45-50mins commute. Wussed out and got the train today - first time not cycling to work in five months.

Hate the train. Back to the bike tomorrow.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Very very cold on my commute this morning, my scarf almost blew away! Strangely the buses and taxis that I normally do battle with seemed to be in a better mood than usual - maybe they pitied me!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Can't say I enjoyed the commute home yesterday. Didn't mind the hailstones or cold but the cross winds were a pig.

I was out with the guitar in the trailer, so I had to keep my speed low because of the cross winds. Actually was ok overall, but I wasn't near the coast. I wore mitts instead of gloves though, which I regretted very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

At Mitt Romney’s proposed California beach house, the cars will have their own separate elevator.
    The inevitable tweets:
    [...]
    • Sometimes I like to spice things up by hitting "shuffle" on my car elevator, and driving whichever one comes up.
    http://uggabugga.blogspot.com/2012/03/romneys-california-home-to-have.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Happy Spy Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

finally got my new jersey and bibshorts from ebay. this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180826650784#ht_1359wt_1139

have to say the quality is actually pretty good. the padding on the bibshorts of course isnt as good as my santinis but they'll definitely do for shorter spins.the jersey is lovely too. i ordered the same size bibshorts as santinis and a larger jersey than normal and they fit perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

RT66 wrote: »
    I went the same way yesterday. That wind was something else out around Portmarnock alright! I had originally intended to go around the coast to Malahide, but went over Carrick Hill instead as there was a little bit more shelter and less traffic.
    I also took the public transport option as well this morning. :o

'never thought of Carrick Hill - great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I left my gloves in work and only remember when unlocking my bike yesterday evening. My hands were soooooo sore on the way home. They were in so much paid when I got indoors, I had to run then under warm water for about 5 minutes so the pain to subside. I have never experienced hand pain that like that before. My hatred for the country was multiplied exponentially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Whilst in the comfort of my car this morning a guy stopped beside me on his bike waiting to cross over, he had a regular pair of wool gloves on but had each finger wrapped with packaging tape, he still looked bloody miserably cold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

The onset of winter is all of my fault. I take full responsibility for my actions.

Last Wednesday, I took my good bike down from the attic where it had been stored since end of September. I also packed away all of my winter cycling gear (jacket, gloves, fleece lined tights) in a box and moved them into the attic.

Mea cupla, mea maxima cupla.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Whilst in the comfort of my car this morning a guy stopped beside me on his bike waiting to cross over, he had a regular pair of wool gloves on but had each finger wrapped with packaging tape, he still looked bloody miserably cold.

Am I only one who thought it wasn't that cold this morning, fair enough cold compared to the week before but in general for spring it seems lovely to me today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Am I only one who thought it wasn't that cold this morning, fair enough cold compared to the week before but in general for spring it seems lovely to me today.

You must have had a tail wind.

Hungrycol wrote: »
    You must have had a tail wind.

I did actually, regular runners and made my morning commute in 15 minutes instead of 28. All up hill. But I still don't think its that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

'never thought of Carrick Hill - great idea.

There is also the road past the train station and driving range to consider...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0404/breaking9.html

Two men were rescued from the Sally Gap road near Roundwood, Co Wicklow after they became stuck in poor road conditions early this morning
    Motorists have been warned to avoid the area due to snow.

:eek:

RobFowl wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0404/breaking9.html

Two men were rescued from the Sally Gap road near Roundwood, Co Wicklow after they became stuck in poor road conditions early this morning
    Motorists have been warned to avoid the area due to snow.

:eek:

Sally_Gap_Snow.png

Jesus, that's the worst I've ever seen it up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

E4 NOW. Footloose, Kevin Bacon, Tractor-Chicken, Bonnie Tyler.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Angry Dance now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Angry Dance now.

Flight of the Conchords ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement