Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found the bike I wanted (well between two of them).

I was looking to scrimp and save to get it, and then, low and behold, it turned up second hand, like new for half price. I rang the guy, left messages.

He just rang me back.

I thought, yes, its mine but no, its not.

I even told him I thought it was suspicious, the good price, the good condition.

Worse still, it was brand new, old stock from a bike shop.

Very nice guy but I am so sad, I wanted it so bad, part of me is sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

CramCycle wrote: »
    NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found the bike I wanted (well between two of them).

I was looking to scrimp and save to get it, and then, low and behold, it turned up second hand, like new for half price. I rang the guy, left messages.

He just rang me back.

I thought, yes, its mine but no, its not.

I even told him I thought it was suspicious, the good price, the good condition.

Worse still, it was brand new, old stock from a bike shop.

Very nice guy but I am so sad, I wanted it so bad, part of me is sad.

Go on then, just to add to your pain, tell us what it was

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Aln_S wrote: »
    Just watched the highlights of the Strade Bianchi on Eurosport.

Some finish for Cancellara! He just rode away from a group of 4 with 2 Astana riders and 2 BMC riders one who was Kreuziger.

Should make for some good racing in the classics!
    Savage performance, to keep opening up a gap on 5 riders after attacking up a climb is unreal.

PS NOT a good idea to post this here ( at least until a day after the race as many wont have seen the highlights and might be p'issed to know the result)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Aln_S

Woops.. good point forgot about the spoilers! My bad..

Pretty much the same line up today in the Terreno -Adriatico but with the likes of Cavendish and Evans thrown into the mix. Should make things interesting.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

kennyb3 wrote: »
    PS NOT a good idea to post this here ( at least until a day after the race as many wont have seen the highlights and might be p'issed to know the result)
    The race took place on Saturday, so there was no problem posting "spoiler" information here yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Some finish for Cancellara! He just rode away from a group of 4 with 2 Astana riders and 2 BMC riders one who was Kreuziger.

Just saw a few minutes of highlights on Youtube.
    Fantastic ride from Spartacus. He really turned on the afterburners at around 12km to go. He looks in a serious mood to win some of the Spring Classics.
    Cancellara also debuted Trek's new Classics-specific bike too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Scary experience and should definitely be followed up with the authorities. From what I've read on here before, I wouldn't have great faith in Dublin Bus doing much about it unless the Gardaí are involved.

(A check on motortax.ie says that that registration is for an Opel Astra, so you might want to edit that bit.)

Decent enough response from Dublin Bus, driver identified and will be spoken to by his manager about his driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Great ride all right but was half hoping he would be caught for a sprint finish up that ridiculous hill in the town square.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

While watching the highlights on ES of the different races, it struck me that the peloton have no regard for keeping the countryside clean. How much waste is littered around the roads of France & elsewhere, and not just bottles !

Also, how many top contenders or top ranking pros are 'out of form/sick/injured' atm !!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

While watching the highlights on ES of the different races, it struck me that the peloton have no regard for keeping the countryside clean. How much waste is littered around the roads of France & elsewhere, and not just bottles !

Also, how many top contenders or top ranking pros are 'out of form/sick/injured' atm !!

Can't say about Paris - Nice or any other race but about an hour after the TdF has gone through you wouldn't know it had they are so efficient at cleaning it up. Bidons will get picked up fairly quickly and I think a lot of cyclists aim for the crowd anyway but if they don't they're now generally made from biodegradable materials as are a lot of gel wrappers now. I realise the wrappers don't touch the ground and turn to soil and I do think they should put them back in their pocket but hopefully it'll put your mind a little more at ease. I do hate seeing this at sportives where there isn't such a fantastic clean up as the TdF.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

this subject was brought up before on pro circuit, and more and more pros are tucking the wrappers back in pockets, bidons not an issue anyway, they do aim to throw them at kids, famous story of lemond i think dropped bottle for a kid only for someone to take it from him, lemond rolled back down took it and gave it to the kid.

On road iv seen lads throw cans and wrappers on road, i feel bad when i throw my banana skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would have imagined that any local council would consider the tourist income from a TdF stage to be well worth the cleanup operation afterwards.

The crowds alone would drop hundreds of times more crap than the riders.

I suppose there is the argument though about setting an example, and if the pros do it on the tour, then amateurs might do it while training.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

manafana wrote: »
    On road iv seen lads throw cans and wrappers on road, i feel bad when i throw my banana skin.

As long as the banana skin is not an eyesore, such as being thrown on someone's mowed lawn, then it has no more environmental impact than the leaves falling from the trees in autumn. Just make sure to aim it into some undergrowth, long grass or thick vegetation and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Cancellara also debuted Trek's new Classics-specific bike too.

There's something interesting going on with the frame here:
    phoca_thumb_l_Trek-Madone-2013%20%287%29.JPG

Jawgap wrote: »

"Invalid Thread specified." Whatever it was, it seems to be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

manafana wrote: »
    famous story of lemond i think dropped bottle for a kid only for someone to take it from him, lemond rolled back down took it and gave it to the kid.

Jens.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

daragh_ wrote: »

Brilliant! That story really is heart-warming. Jens is a true gentleman of the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭Ryath

Title makes me think of Tomasrojo :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

G rock wrote: »
    Go on then, just to add to your pain, tell us what it was

It was a KTM 4000, reduced from 1950 to 1100. Not my typical style bike (ie not steel) but I wanted it so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Ryath wrote: »
    Title makes me think of Tomasrojo :p
    I think it's a re-post, but I'm flattered (I think!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭Ryath

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I think it's a re-post, but I'm flattered (I think!).
    Did a search but didn't see anything.
    You should be I admire how you live using a bike as your primary means of transport.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

This years Kare Tour de Foothills is on the 15th April.

The footage above is of last years event (I think).

PS there is an amazingly awesume looking cyclist at 3:36, can anyone give a few tips on how to look that good on a bike????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

T.......

"Invalid Thread specified." Whatever it was, it seems to be gone.

It was someone claiming to be an ex-pro cyclist looking to arrange some betting on the cycling......

.....here's his latest thread....

cycling bet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Finally got all the parts for the two wheelsets I'm going to build :D

Mavic A119 36 hole with dtswiss champion spokes on Tiagra 4600 hubs.

and

Mavic A719 32(front) 36(rear) with dtswiss alpine iii spokes on Deore xt hubs.

Going to France for 5 days in the morning though so won't get them built till next week.

195634.JPG

195635.JPG

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

RobFowl wrote: »
    PS there is an amazingly awesume looking cyclist at 3:34, can anyone give a few tips on how to look that good on a bike????

There's a child at 3.34, I don't know which to call first, the gardaí or RAAM about the cyclist at 3.36 :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

There's a child at 3.34, I don't know which to call first, the gardaí or RAAM about the cyclist at 3.36 :pac:

:o

:o

I assume you just misread the time :D Only joking you look awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

This years Kare Tour de Foothills is on the 15th April.

The footage above is of last years event (I think).

PS there is an amazingly awesume looking cyclist at 3:36, can anyone give a few tips on how to look that good on a bike????

Sexy beast alert at 2:18:cool:

This was a great event last year. My chain broke due to my awesome power output on one of the ramps.

Picked up by the broomwagon (two absolute babes driving a bus). WOuld love to do it this year, but it clashed with an event that is just closer to home.

Boards jersey sighting at 4.08

• Advertisement

Anyone in KK or around interested in laps of the ring road later?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement