Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

From YLYL

the-dar-28.jpg?w=499&h=506

Are you friends with bike snob on spacebook??:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Holyboy wrote: »
    Are you friends with bike snob on spacebook??:D

YLYL = You Laugh You Lose, a thread in the Cool vids, pics & links forum.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

YLYL = You Laugh You Lose, a thread in the Cool vids, pics & links forum.

My bad, it all came up on the ol' laptop at the same time and I presumed, but presuming is just dangerous :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

From YLYL

the-dar-28.jpg?w=499&h=506

I used to work in University of California Irvine. I worked an early shift, so I walked to the campus to get to the lab at about six a.m. I passed a family fitness centre on the way, and I could see through the window scores of people who had driven to the fitness centre very early to beat the traffic so that they could get some exercise in before work. They were mostly on machines that mimicked walking.

I'm sure some of them lived too far away to walk to work, but there did seem to be a certain irony in the whole situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I used to work in University of California Irvine. I worked an early shift, so I walked to the campus to get to the lab at about six a.m. I passed a family fitness centre on the way, and I could see through the window scores of people who had driven to the fitness centre very early to beat the traffic so that they could get some exercise in before work. They were mostly on machines that mimicked walking.

exercise-demotivational-poster.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

any reason not to use v-brake pads on caliper brakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Crow92 wrote: »

it would be like matter and antimatter tbh

(vbrake pads probably harder compound - designed for muckier enviroment guessing here)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Because they won't fit? Unless I am not getting the question..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

will fit fine, you probably won't notice any difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Thanks for the replies, accidently bought v brake pads for the oh's bike which has very old single pivot weinnman brakes so i'm trying to improve the stopping power.

I think there'll be enough room to fit them in, just wondering if there was any major reason not to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

The rise & fall & rise of JTL (Jonathan Tiernan-Locke).

Some highlights:
    He’s already been labelled as ‘unbelievable’ by journalists and fellow pro riders, they scoff at his winning rides in the Tour of the Mediterranean and Tour du Haut Var. It’s the same nudge, nudge, wink, wink mentality and judgemental rumour mill that hangs over every professional who breaks through.

“I’ve heard the rumours, and the suspicion,” Locke tells Cyclingnews. “I’ve heard it all. I don’t know what to say other than I’ll do whatever it takes to show people, so I’ll be doing weekly, or bi-weekly blood tests. Like I said, whatever it takes.”

Before his win in the Mediterranean, Locke was an unknown name on the global stage.

“I had great form when I first arrived and was winning races,” Locke says.

“Then one day I started coming down with a cold. That turned into flu and then it became the worst strain of flu I’d ever had. It just got worse. Then my immune system broke down I had a skin disease. I was literally falling apart.”

After a desperate month he returned to the UK, giving up the sport entirely. He became a rider lost: dropped from the sphere of competitive racing, an athlete unable to cut it at the top, and who despite all their promise, one who failed to make it in the big leagues.
    “I turned my back on the sport. I went to university and thought about another career. I put on two stone, drank, partied and didn’t touch my bike. Keeping active for me was walking home from the pub totally pissed.”

For three years Locke didn’t even look at a bike.

He bought a bike and over the 2008 winter and into the New Year he began to ride again.

“They were just local races to start with but then I started racing more and winning, so it was clear that I still had talent. I got my weight down and soon I was racing Premier Calendar races,” he says.

In 2009 the Plowman Craven team called and offered him a way back.

During the winter the team specifically worked on bringing Locke up to speed, improving his training and keeping him focused.

Two months into the 2012 season and he’s already being talked about as a one-day rival to Gilbert in the Ardennes and a number of WorldTour teams are said to be courting him.

You might think this would be a fairytale scenario for the 27-year-old. The world’s cycling media upon him, the podium visits and competition scalps that include Gilbert, Dan Martin and Stefano Garzelli.

But underneath the frequency of applause there are the whispers. They start out small and it takes just one, but the fact that there was no testing at Med and that as part of a Continental team Locke is not subject to the biological passport testing, all add to the speculation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

@Morrisseee - I have been following the JTL saga of the past few weeks. It started when Dan Martin tweeted about his disgust at the lack of dope testing on the Tour de Med.

From there there have been veiled comments in various media sources.

What is horrible is that in almost any other sport an underdog can pull off a big victory once in a blue moon and it is news worthy because of that. In cycling unfortunately, underdogs are not allowed to win - because if they do questions will be asked. It sucks.

No opinion at all on this guy. But I will say, that the vast majority of doping in cycling historically has occurred at a level of the sport at which this rider does not ride. If you read some of the articles around his first victory this year, Marc Madiot in particular wanted Endura out of the race and lobbied hard to get them uninvited. Actually, Stephen Roche spoke to the race organisers on behalf of the Endura team and assured that they would arrive at the race as a serious team, and not as also rans.

I guess Roche was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Yeah, what did Dan mean by that ?! it could have been harmless or it could have been a serious dig at JTL's performance ??!!

I'm not sure what to make of JTL, I remember watching the TOB last year and he performed very well, I didn't think I'd see him do so well this year, so early. He has an interesting story to tell though, a bit similar to Froome's story.

The fact that there was no testing at Med and that as part of a Continental team he is not subject to the biological passport testing just adds fuel to the fire of his doubters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I dont understand why people dont look right when they cross the road in Dublin city. Had a very close call, coming down start of O Connell St towards the bridge, had to speed up to avoid him but kind of brushed off him, maybe 1/10 of a second from full contact. didnt look back to see if he got a fright, that'll learn him!

earlier in Thomas St 2 people walking across the road, I got by with a safe amount of space but fairly close for them to think twice. maybe its the nice weather and that its a friday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I dont understand why people dont look right when they cross the road in Dublin city. Had a very close call, coming down start of O Connell St towards the bridge, had to speed up to avoid him but kind of brushed off him, maybe 1/10 of a second from full contact. didnt look back to see if he got a fright, that'll learn him!

earlier in Thomas St 2 people walking across the road, I got by with a safe amount of space but fairly close for them to think twice. maybe its the nice weather and that its a friday

Practice your shouting ability. I'm getting quite good at it. Usually frightens the ****e out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I drove to work today so I'd appreciate if you cyclists would stay out of my way on the journey home. Thank you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I drove to work today so I'd appreciate if you cyclists would stay out of my way on the journey home. Thank you.

Only if you can prove you're up to date with your road tax....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

First day of the League Of Ireland season began tonight. Wexford Youths 6 -0 Waterford United the stand-out result. I'm probably the happiest guy in the whole country tonight, so you can probably who my team is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

That was excellent, thanks for posting it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

found this on fixedgearfever

419260_3244842130635_1554333054_2936765_879679270_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Lovely spin there today and big thanks to Belcamp who let me blend in going all around blessington lakes just when I was in need of some shelter. Cheers lads and lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Drove past a cyclist in the ditch on the N81 about 12:30. Garda and ambulance in attendence. He was being stretchered on a spinal board. Dunno what happened, hope he/she is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

seamus wrote: »
    Drove past a cyclist in the ditch on the N81 about 12:30. Garda and ambulance in attendence. He was being stretchered on a spinal board. Dunno what happened, hope he/she is ok.

You were about 10 mins behind me. I was cycling past just about home at 12:20 and they were waiting on said ambulance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Woohoo, I just got a new job as the manager of Chelsea!!!!!

Oh no, I've just been sacked :(

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Oh no, I've just been sacked :(
    I looked at the 2nd post before the 1st, and actually felt sorry for you...

...I must be going soft in my old age

Beasty wrote: »
    I looked at the 2nd post before the 1st, and actually felt sorry for you...

No fear of that happening ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

There are little blue tablets you can get for that Beasty.......

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »

There are little blue tablets you can get for that Beasty.......

How much are you charging this time Rob?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement